IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
Senior Security Engineer at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Low maintenance, simple implementation, and useful deep inspection
  • "I have found the decryption of Fortinet FortiGate IPS very good. It's called SSL deep inspection, it's working very well. This is how you decrypt access and traffic, and it is through the IPS antivirus center. Additionally, the UI is user-friendly."
  • "I have used technical support and they could improve."

What is our primary use case?

I use Fortinet FortiGate IPS as an internet firewall. We are using IPS, application control, and access control.

What is most valuable?

I have found the decryption of Fortinet FortiGate IPS very good. It's called SSL deep inspection, it's working very well. This is how you decrypt access and traffic, and it is through the IPS antivirus center. Additionally, the UI is user-friendly.  We already have the firewalls, and when I compare Fortinet FortiGate IPS to all the other firewalls, Fortinet is really useful and works very well.

I have been using Fortinet FortiGate IPS for approximately six years.

Fortinet FortiGate IPS are very stable. However, the older versions were not stable.
Fortinet FortiGate IPS
July 2022
Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiGate IPS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
610,229 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is scalable. We have approximately 300 users that use the solution.

I have used technical support and they could improve.  I would rate the technical support from Fortinet FortiGate IPS a seven out of ten. When comparing their support with Cisco which is a lot better.

We use many Fortinet products, not only firewalls. We have Fortisand-S, FortiSandbox, Fortinet wireless controllers which are part of the Fortigate, FortiAnalyzer, and FortiMate.  We have approximately 40 devices of Fortinet firewalls.

The installation is straightforward.

We did the implementation ourselves. The solution does not require a lot of maintenance.

There is an annual license to use this solution. The prices have been increasing over the years.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Fortinet if they have a medium budget and if they don't have much experience with the firewalls because it's easy to use and the administrative management is simple. Additionally, Fortinet has a good wireless solution that is very good for medium-sized enterprise organizations. I rate Fortinet FortiGate IPS an eight out of ten.

AMITKUSHWAHA - PeerSpot reviewer
Optical Fiber Splicer at Tachyon Broadband
Reliable and easy to set up with good security features
  • "The product is scalable."
  • "There could be more modifications."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for security purposes.

What is most valuable?

Some security features are used for side blocking and antivirus and application control and bandwidth control. These are important for us.

The initial setup is straightforward.

It's a reliable tool.

The product is scalable.

What needs improvement?

There could be more modifications. Some features are enabled, however, compared to Fortinet, some features are not easy.

Sometimes the dashboard does not open properly. When we add more options, SD-WAN features, and user control features, the opening is very slow. It does not sync properly.

We've used the solution for one or two years.

The solution is stable and quite reliable. There are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze.

The solution is scalable. There is no hardware. There are many clients and we have not had any complaints so far in regard to the product.

Technical support is good, however, they do not respond quickly. They respond late. When we log the case, there's no priority with service. You can't get a response, for example, within an hour or two unless you have priority. Cisco, in contrast, divides its services into P1, P2, or P3. That way, if something is recognized as a P1, they get help much faster.

I also work with Cisco. I'm also aware of Palo Alto as an option.

The initial setup is straightforward and not complex. It's easy compared to Palo Alto and a few others.

Our deployment of Fortinet FortiGate took two years.

We are resellers. We are able to handle the setup and deployment.

What other advice do I have?

We are resellers.

The Fortinet 201 and 900 series are very good.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

Fortinet FortiGate IPS
July 2022
610,229 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Lead Network Solution Developer at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
A good and stable product with IPS and URL filtering features
  • "It is a good product. It does what we want it to do so. I didn't find many false-positives or things like that. We mainly use the IPS and URL filtering features, and they are pretty good."
  • "They can probably improve the reporting feature. Reporting and report alerting are the main key features of this solution. They can always find ways to improve these."

What is our primary use case?

We manage all the IT for airports and airlines. We have some data centers for providing different services, such as tickets, to customers. We use Fortinet FortiGate IPS to secure the environment.

What is most valuable?

It is a good product. It does what we want it to do so. I didn't find many false-positives or things like that. We mainly use the IPS and URL filtering features, and they are pretty good.

What needs improvement?

They can probably improve the reporting feature. Reporting and report alerting are the main key features of this solution. They can always find ways to improve these.

I have been using Fortinet FortiGate IPS for four years.

It is doing good in terms of stability. It is a good product and a good feature within the firewall.

We haven't tried to scale it.

I have contacted them. Their technical support is good. They are pretty responsive and knowledgeable.

The initial setup was straightforward. Basically, it is quite easy to set up. You just need to follow the guidelines because they are well-made for Fortinet FortiGate IPS.

We are currently evaluating a Palo Alto solution, and the pricing could be a reason for going for Palo Alto.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a part of the team that is testing the Palo Alto solution. We are only responsible for testing to ensure that it matches what we want, but we are not responsible for making the actual decision. Another team will decide which solution to go for based on the contract in terms of money and other things. Technically, either FortiGate or Palo Alto will be able to provide what we want.

I would rate Fortinet FortiGate IPS an eight out of ten. It is a good product.

Gerente Regional at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
Stable, easy to manage, and offers good regional support
  • "Regionally, we are well covered. Technical support is good in this area."
  • "The solution has limited scalability."

What is our primary use case?

We use it, for example, to protect our business application servers so nobody can hack those servers internally and illegally access the information they have.

What is most valuable?

The administration of the solution is the most valuable aspect. It's easy to manage.

Fortinet has a very well distributed team around our region, and the product is pretty stable.

The integration is good.

We like the dashboards.

The pricing is not overly expensive.

I have found the initial setup to be very easy.

What needs improvement?

I can't speak to coming across any missing features.

The solution has limited scalability. The sizing is based don't eh scale of the hardware.

I've been dealing with the solution for about five years or so. It's been a while at this point.

The stability so far has been great. there are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The scalability is limited. You have to change the hardware in order to ensure the solution can scale.

Regionally, we are well covered. Technical support is good in this area.

The implementation process is quite straightforward. It's not a complex implementation at all. A company shouldn't have any issues with it.

You only need one person to handle deployment and maintenance tasks. This is typically a technician. You do not need a huge team to manage it.

If you use this solution, within three years, you will get your investment back. It provides a good ROI.

We find the solution to be very reasonably priced overall.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a partner.

I'm pretty sure we have the most updated deployment, however, I'm not sure of the exact version number.

I would rate the solution at a nine out of ten overall. My experience has been positive in general.

Security Analyst at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
We like the solution's website change feature
  • "We like FortiGate's website change feature."
  • "Right now, it's not really scalable, but it's okay for us. However, looking ahead to three years from now, we might have a problem with scalability. We foresee a little risk down the road. The stability is okay for now."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use FortiGate IPS for security tasks like forwarding, firewalling, attack detection, etc. All of our internet and portal connections are routed through FortiGate IPS. For example, we use it in our entire wireless setup, including the guest wireless and our internal LAN for wireless distribution. All public internet traffic is filtered through Fortinet.

What is most valuable?

We like FortiGate's website change feature.

I've been using FortiGate for about five or six years.

I think it's stable now. Yeah, exactly.

Right now, it's not really scalable, but it's okay for us. However, looking ahead to three years from now, we might have a problem with scalability. We foresee a little risk down the road. The stability is okay for now.

Our usage is measured by the number of sessions in FortiGate, and it's divided by zones. In the French market zone, we have around 10,000 users.

We also use Juniper in some cases. In some ways, Juniper is more useful because we use this in our switch core for the internal LAN, so it's maybe more critical. Our sector depends more on Juniper than FortiGate. Three years from now, we might completely replace Juniper with FortiGate.

It is not difficult to set up FortiGate, but we have support helping us detect and troubleshoot difficult situations. FortiGate is easier to deploy than Juniper.
We need a few people for maintenance, but we have some support working with us, and we need that.

We have a FortiGate license for UTM, routing, firewalling, HTTPS, and some web features.

What other advice do I have?

I rate FortiGate IPS eight out of 10. I would rate it higher if it had more features, stability, scalability, etc. For our requirements, I can rate it eight out of 10, but not more than that.

Network & Security Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Good interface, easy to manage, and very stable
  • "Its interface is the most valuable. It is quite easy to manage."
  • "Its performance can be better. We have had performance issues in the past, but we sometimes tend to find that it is more related to what we do in our network than anything else. It is quite a good product, and there isn't much to improve."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for our end customers. I am a network engineer for a company that looks after airlines.

What is most valuable?

Its interface is the most valuable. It is quite easy to manage.

What needs improvement?

Its performance can be better. We have had performance issues in the past, but we sometimes tend to find that it is more related to what we do in our network than anything else. It is quite a good product, and there isn't much to improve.

I have been using this solution for a couple of years.

It seems to be very stable.

It is scalable.

We don't really use them. There is plenty of stuff online, and it is more of a learn as you go.

It is quite straightforward, but it can be complex if you are on the cloud. A lot of our customers are cloud-based, and it is a little bit tricky trying to set them up.

It is not expensive as compared to Cisco.

The customer decided what they were going to use. We didn't have a say in it.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to go for the training courses. One good thing about FortiGate is that you have got free training.

I would rate Fortinet FortiGate IPS an eight out of ten. It is quite a good product, and there isn't much to improve.

Private Cloud
COO at Spincube Inc
Reliable, scalable, easy to setup, and has good security and support
  • "The most valuable features are security and vision, and all of the UTM functionality."
  • "The user interface needs a bit of upgrading."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for the integral firewall, monitoring, and all types of security.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are security and vision, and all of the UTM functionality.

What needs improvement?

The user interface needs a bit of upgrading.

Pricing could be better.

Customers are looking for 24/7 protection, but it's not as critical in the end. The pricing is preventing them for adopting it so they should be competitive.

I have been using this solution for approximately six years

I am working on the most up-to-date version.

It's very stable, it can take a lot.

It's scalable and we have not had any problems at all.

Technical support is very good. I have no issues with them.

Previously, we were using another solution. Fortinet FortiGate IPS, was recommended to us, and once we tried it we liked it and we stuck with it.

I am not happy with WatchGuard.

For me, after using it for six years, the initial setup is easy.

They are more expensive than others.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for a lifestyle solution, then FortiGate is my choice.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Sr. Corporate Marketing Executive at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
The SD-WAN capability is the most useful feature for us

What is our primary use case?

We have three offices across Gujarat State in India. We mainly use SD-WAN features over the Fortinet and the antivirus IPS, web content filtering applications control.

What is most valuable?

FortiGate's SD-WAN capability is the most useful feature for us.

What needs improvement?

FortiGate's logging and reporting could be improved. I would also like to see Fortinet add a guest management portal.

I have been using FortiGate for the last nine years.

Fortinet's scalability and stability are fine because I have three units across India, and none have gone down so far.

I get technical support from Fortinet and my reseller. It's fine. I never have any issues with support.

We previously used Cyber, but we switched because Fortinet is an established international brand. It is international, stable, and scalable.

Installing FortiGate is straightforward. Anyone can install, configure, and troubleshoot. Deployment takes only one or two hours. One technician is more than enough to deploy and maintain the solution.

We have a three-year license.

What other advice do I have?

I rate FortiGate IPS nine out of 10. I would recommend implementing FortiGate to stay secure.

Download our free Fortinet FortiGate IPS Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: July 2022