IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
UzochikwaEnunwa - PeerSpot reviewer
Enterprise architect at Kyndryl
Improves the resilience and quality of the application but needs more data granularity
  • "F5 BIG-IP Local Traffic Manager (LTM) improves the resilience and quality of the application itself, the speed and the user experience for the application. The data that the users need from the application is actually acquired faster. So, it provides faster data acquisition."
  • "It would be good to have better traffic and better data. It would be nice to have more granularity to see packets in terms of the header details, the analytics, etc. It would be nice if that was also part of it and to have analytics added to the traffic."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for server management and application traffic, that is, to load balance between traffic for applications coming from their service. Users coming in are then able to have their traffic go to the service that has the suitable resources or adequate resources.

What is most valuable?

It also provides lower latency.

What needs improvement?

It would be good to have better traffic and better data. It would be nice to have more granularity to see packets in terms of the header details, the analytics, etc. It would be nice if that was also part of it and to have analytics added to the traffic.

I've been using it for two years.

F5 BIG-IP Local Traffic Manager (LTM)
August 2022
Learn what your peers think about F5 BIG-IP Local Traffic Manager (LTM). Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: August 2022.
621,327 professionals have used our research since 2012.

F5 BIG-IP Local Traffic Manager (LTM) is pretty stable. It's one of the most stable products that I know, when it comes to load balancing and traffic.

It is very scalable. We have thousands of users.

The technical support is top notch.

It is pretty easy to set up.

Because there were other parties involved, the deployment took us about a week. Normally, it takes a couple of hours.

We did it in-house.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise you to go for it because it's one of the top three solutions in my opinion. I would rate it at seven on a scale from one to ten.

Satish Agarwal - PeerSpot reviewer
Lead Engineer at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Is stable, scalable, and easy to install
  • "Currently, it's distributing the load perfectly, as per my understanding of our requirements."
  • "I'm not very sure about the security with F5 BIG-IP Local Traffic Manager (LTM). We have our own private data center, but we are going to migrate our private data center into the Azure cloud environment. Security will then be a major concern when we migrate our own whole infrastructure to the public cloud."

What is most valuable?

As an IT developer, mostly I use load balancing for the traffic. Currently, it's distributing the load perfectly, as per my understanding of our requirements.

It's definitely scalable and is stable as well.

The initial setup is not complex, and the technical support is fine.

What needs improvement?

So, I think they should improve in terms of security because nowadays, most organizations try to build their infrastructure on public cloud.

More documentation should be uploaded because very limited documentation is available on the internet. It will also help us to understand the system before purchasing the product.

I've been using this solution for two years.

It's a stable solution.

It's definitely scalable. It's a distributed architecture and micro services, so it's scalable. In fact, we are planning to increase usage and scale horizontally.

I don't have any issues with respect to technical support; it has been fine.

The initial setup is not complex.

What other advice do I have?

If you have your own data center, then you can use F5 BIG-IP Local Traffic Manager (LTM). I don't see any issues because they have been in the industry for a long time, and F5 BIG-IP Local Traffic Manager (LTM) is very stable.

I would rate this solution at eight on a scale from one to ten.

F5 BIG-IP Local Traffic Manager (LTM)
August 2022
621,327 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Specialist in Communication and Network Security at a security firm with 11-50 employees
A stable and easy-to-deploy solution with useful iRule feature for inspecting HTTP
  • "The iRule feature is very useful for inspecting HTTP. Sometimes, we use it for modifying the headers of the HTTP."
  • "F5 has another solution to load balance servers on the cloud, which they got after the purchase of NGINX. It is deployed as Kubernetes or something like that, but the problem now is that they have two solutions for two situations. They should make F5 deployable on the cloud."

What is our primary use case?

All of our web servers are load-balanced by F5.

What is most valuable?

The iRule feature is very useful for inspecting HTTP. Sometimes, we use it for modifying the headers of the HTTP.

What needs improvement?

F5 has another solution to load balance servers on the cloud, which they got after the purchase of NGINX. It is deployed as Kubernetes or something like that, but the problem now is that they have two solutions for two situations. They should make F5 deployable on the cloud.

Recently, we were investigating offloading SSL as version TLS 1.3. I am not sure if we were able to do that or not.

I have been using this solution for more than 15 years.

It is very stable.

They have a host where you can increase the CPUs dedicated for load balancing. You can mount a cluster to escalate, but in order to escalate, you need to virtualize the solution. Otherwise, you need to change the device and load something bigger.

I contacted them in the past. They provide good support.

I have used a Cisco solution in the past, but they discontinued the solution or the hardware. F5 is much better.

It is very easy. It depends a bit on what you want, but in one day or two days, you can have F5 load balancing on backend servers. It is very easy.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend others to choose a virtualized solution. I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Associate CSA at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
MSP
Knowledgeable support, great stability, and easy to use

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for internal traffic management and traffic load balancing. Its version is up to date.

What is most valuable?

Its user interface is very easy to use on a day-to-day basis. It is very user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

My only point of contention would be that it is a little pricey.

I have been using this solution for about three years.

Its stability has been great. I haven't had any issues with it in terms of downtime.

It is scalable, especially in the cloud. On-prem, it may need additional licensing or an additional appliance. That depends on how large and what the use case is specifically for the customer.

I'd evaluate their tech support as a five out of five. They are very knowledgeable. They have the answers, and if they don't, they're able to escalate and point us to the correct people or provide the correct literature.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

I was not a part of the initial deployment or rollout. There are three people who are managing it and deploying it. They are system admins.

It is a little pricey. I wish the pricing was cheaper, but I wish the pricing was cheaper for everything.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure that you know how much traffic you're going to have coming through because that can affect whether you need a big box or a small box.

I would rate it a nine out of 10.

Hilman Gunawan - PeerSpot reviewer
System Engineer at PT Nusantara Compnet Integrator
Has good support and valuable load balancing features
    • "To improve the product, they could add more load balancing solutions in Kubernetes."

What is our primary use case?

Currently, we use F5 BIG-IP Local Traffic Manager as our traffic management solution. As a consultant, it is project-based with my clients rather than hands-on. Our clients use the solution to load balance their current application server in the DMZ and also in the data center.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of the F5 BIG-IP LTM solution is load balancing.

What needs improvement?

I have been using F5 BIG-IP LTM for two years.

F5 BIG-IP is a stable solution. It is quite mature and does not have many concerns.

Scalability is good. We use it for active and passive, and we also do some TCMP.

I would rate technical support a four out of five. Their support is quite good, however, they could be a bit more responsive and react faster to requests.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The biggest concern for my clients is the pricing.

Before choosing F5 BIG-IP, we compared the product with other vendors. We chose F5 BIG because of its technical support as well as its documentation. Their knowledge base is easy to read and access to information is available on their website. It is a complete product for an ADC solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate the solution an eight out of ten and recommend this solution to users that are looking to use it.

Oren Dror - PeerSpot reviewer
    Security IT Manager at IFAT Group
    Stable with good security and reliability
    • "The stability is excellent."
    • "The pricing of the product is a bit too high."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for security purposes.

What is most valuable?

The security on offer from the solution is very good.

The stability is excellent.

What needs improvement?

The pricing of the product is a bit too high. They should work to make it more affordable. It needs to be more cost-efficient.

The solution is very stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable and the performance has been good.

I've never used technical support. I can't speak to how helpful or responsive they are when it comes to servicing their customers, having never used them personally.

I also have experience with Check Point.

We did not install the solution ourselves. We used an integrator that handled the process and helped us set everything up.

We used an integrator to assist with the installation. We were pleased with the results. There was nothing to complain about the results.

The pricing is pretty high. It's not the least expensive option.

That said, we're willing to pay for the premium security on offer.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a customer and an end-user.

We are using the 12th version of the solution.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We've been quite satisfied with the capabilities of the product.

I'd recommend the solution to other users and companies.

Hilman Gunawan - PeerSpot reviewer
    System Engineer at PT Nusantara Compnet Integrator
    Easy install, quality support, but expensive

What is our primary use case?

The solution is mostly used for the LTM load balancer. Recently more of our customers are using it for the web application firewall. Some of my other customers are using the GTM model also.

My experience in selling this solution is approximately two and a half years.

The solution is stable.

The scalability of the solution depends on the sizing of the network. Generally, the scalability is quite good.

The technical support is one of the best I have seen in their field. They have been good so far.

One of the strongest areas of this solution is its ease of install. It did not take more then a couple of hours.

The deployment can take some time because you can do a lot of configuring to meet the needs of the use cases for clients. This will take more time to configure the different areas than just the general install. We typically have two technicians on site doing the deployments.

The solution is quite expensive if we compare it with the competition. For only load balancer, it is too expensive. The license is subscription-based, except for the security model.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution.

I rate F5 BIG-IP a seven out of ten.

MufeedSiaj - PeerSpot reviewer
    Network Security Presales Engineer at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
    Completely stable solution with a perfect multi-data center

What is our primary use case?

I use BIG-IP LTM for load balancing and WAF.

What is most valuable?

The multi-data center is perfect.

What needs improvement?

BIG-IP LTM's sandboxing integration could be improved.

I've been using BIG-IP LTM for two to three years.

BIG-IP LTM is completely stable, and its performance is good.

I believe BIG-IP LTM is scalable, but you have to pay for extra expansions.

The initial setup was straightforward, and I would rate the ease of the setup process as 4.5 out of five. The ACC deployment took one day, but the WAF tuning took around two weeks because it was a new application and needed tuning.

We used an in-house team.

I would rate our ROI as 4.5 out of five.

BIG-IP LTM isn't a cheap solution - I'd rate its pricing as three out of five.

I evaluated Citrix 40 Web.

What other advice do I have?

You need an expert to set up the policies, as it's not a straightforward process. I would give BIG-IP LTM a rating of nine out of ten.

Private Cloud
    Download our free F5 BIG-IP Local Traffic Manager (LTM) Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: August 2022