IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
Desktop Support Engineer at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Quick and easy to set up with good scalability potential
  • "We've found the product to be stable."
  • "It would be helpful if the product offered more integration potential."

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to use. We've found the product to be stable.  The scalability is there if a company needs to expand it out. The initial setup is easy and the deployment is fast.

What needs improvement?

The solution should offer a better data domain. It would be helpful if the product offered more integration potential.

I've dealt with the solution for three or four years at this point. It's been a while.

The solution is stable. there are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. The performance is quite good.
Dell Avamar
July 2022
Learn what your peers think about Dell Avamar. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
611,060 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The scalability potential is good. If you are a company that needs to scale, you can do so with this product. We do not have a lot of customers using this solution. Only maybe five to six percent of our customer base uses it.

The technical support is quite good. they are helpful and responsive and we are satisfied with the level of support they provide.

We did not find the initial setup to be overly complex. It's pretty straightforward.  The deployment is fast. You can have everything up and running in three to four hours.  We have four to five people on staff that can handle deployment and maintenance duties.

I handled the implementation myself. I did not need the help of an implementor or consultant. I can do it alone, in-house.

At this time, we do not pay any licenses to Dell.

What other advice do I have?

We don't have a lot of customers that use the product, however, we are recommending it often. Our customers are using the latest version of the product, however, I can't speak to the exact version number. On a scale from one to ten, I'd rate the solution at a seven.  I'd recommend the solution to other users and companies. It's worked well for a few of our customers.

Stanislaw Jagielski - PeerSpot reviewer
Trainer, storage consultant at Oxon
Good documentation, a nice interface, and very reasonably priced
  • "I have found the product to be scalable."
  • "The solution, in the future, should offer support for mobile."

What is most valuable?

The solution offers good storage.

The product is very stable.

I have found the product to be scalable.

The pricing of the solution is pretty good and not too expensive.

The interface is great.

The documentation on offer is very helpful and thorough.

What needs improvement?

Overall, the solution is good right now. I can't think of where I have seen any missing features.

The solution, in the future, should offer support for mobile.

I've been using the solution for more than 10 years.

The stability, in general, has been great. There are no bugs or glitches. It does not crash or freeze. It's reliable and the performance is good.

The scalability of the product is good. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so.

I don't directly use the support services on offer. If I have questions, I tend to direct that to the developers, and not Dell.

I'm also familiar with Dell DataDomian, which I also work with.

As long as you follow the implementation directions, it's not too bad.

While I didn't directly purchase it myself and was not involved in the licensing process, it's my understanding that the cost is reasonable and the pricing is good.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a freelancer and an EMC instructor.

I'm not an expert in the solution, however, for me, it's been a very positive experience.

I'd advise potential new users to pay attention to the details and to follow the implementation instructions. If you do that, you'll be fine.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Dell Avamar
July 2022
611,060 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Principal Architect at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Provides ease of enabling a server in a DR location, but needs improvement in backing up very large objects
  • "The data reduction feature and the ease of enabling a server in a DR location are the most valuable."
  • "Its ability to back up very large objects can be improved. In terms of new features, they can include the ability to use cloud services, like S3, more natively."

What is our primary use case?

It was initially used for remote office, branch office backups, but eventually, it started to be used for small and large data centers.

What is most valuable?

The data reduction feature and the ease of enabling a server in a DR location are the most valuable.

What needs improvement?

Its ability to back up very large objects can be improved. In terms of new features, they can include the ability to use cloud services, like S3, more natively.

I have been using this solution for 15 years.

It has good stability.

It has good scalability, which is a good thing for VMware infrastructures. I see it mostly being used in midsize environments or focused on VMware infrastructure backups. It does a great job there. The negative of this solution is that it certainly wouldn't cover a super large enterprise where they have other tool needs. You probably won't use it for the entire data center or for large Oracle or SQL backups.

I don't interact with them a lot. I would summarize them as being average.

Initially, it was pretty complex to install, but it got easier over the years. It is still not the easiest of all tools to install. It certainly is not as easy to install as Veeam. It is probably comparable to a Commvault in terms of installation difficulty.

Licensing was generally on a per VM or terabyte basis. They changed their licensing model a couple of times and turned it into socket-based licensing, which is an improvement in their licensing model.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Dell EMC Avamar a six out of ten.

Solution Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Good with endpoint backups, but the interface is not user-friendly and the technology is outdated
  • "Dell EMC Avamar is very good with endpoint backups."
  • "The UI is not easy to use. There are other products such as Veeam that are easy to use for the end-user which is why they are moving away from Avamar or Networker."

What is our primary use case?

We are system integrators. We resell, we deploy, and we support our clients.

What is most valuable?

Dell EMC Avamar is very good with endpoint backups.

What needs improvement?

This solution is approximately 10 to 20 years old. The technology behind it is very good but the trends are increasing and Avamar and NetWorkers are outdated.

They brought in vProtect solutions, called it PPDM, and rebranded it.

In my opinion, they should destroy all of their products and create them from scratch.

The technology is behind and they have millions of codes. I think that it should be recreated or they should hire another backup and archive company.

The UI is not easy to use. There are other products such as Veeam that are easy to use for the end-user, which is why they are moving away from Avamar or Networker.

Recently, they recreated the HTML 5 interface, and it has abilities but it is not mature yet.

I have been using Dell EMC Avamar for almost one year.

The technical support was great.

I created a ticket and it was resolved.

Previously, I used Acronis, Veeam, and Commvault.

Most use Veeam because it's a new product with cloud capabilities and the interface is easy to use.

When it comes to competition the price is not what is important, it's not the problem.

What other advice do I have?

Our company is competent in Dell products. My colleagues and I have over ten years of experience with NetWorker and Avamar.

I used to be an assistant consultant. Now, I'm working as a solution architect. I'm a bit far away from technical solutions.

I would rate this solution a five out of ten.

reviewer1315983 - PeerSpot reviewer
User at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Good image and file backup capabilities, but technical support should be more knowledgeable

What is our primary use case?

We use this product for Windows and Linux servers, and we have both file and database backups stored on them. We use them at smaller sites, which are small offices that are located around the world.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are image backups and file backups.
Image backups are very good to use, since they don´t require a backup agent.

What needs improvement?

Technical support should be more knowledgeable.

I have been using Dell EMC Avamar for more than 10 years.

The newest version is not very stable, which is something that should be improved.

We have perhaps 70 clients/server and have not tried to scale beyond that. We have about 40 users in total and do not plan to increase our usage at this time.

The quality of technical support varies. Sometimes they are very good, and sometimes they are not. They should be faster and more knowledgeable.

We also use Dell EMC NetWorker.

I was not involved in the initial setup but from what I understand, it's pretty simple.

There are five of us in the technical team who deploy and maintain our solutions.

The price of this product should be cheaper.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I can recommend for small sites without anything special.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

System Administrator at a mining and metals company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Quick incremental backups, good replication and stability, but it is expensive and the mechanism to pull data to tapes is messy
  • "Quick incremental backups and product replication are the two highlights of the product. Once you capture a full backup, incrementals are pretty quick. It is fairly efficient from that perspective."
  • "If you need to pull data out of it to offload to tapes, that's messy. You have a mechanism for it, but it is painful."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for remote office or branch office type protection.

We don't have a current instance. It is pretty old. We have tried desperately to decommission Avamar.

What is most valuable?

Quick incremental backups and product replication are the two highlights of the product. Once you capture a full backup, incrementals are pretty quick. It is fairly efficient from that perspective.

What needs improvement?

It is expensive. It is more about cost than it is about anything else.

I have been using this solution for a couple of years.

Once you're in the product, and the product is running, it does a really good job.

It is node-based, so you can add nodes as you need. It is pretty scalable.

The people who supported it did a very good job. If it gets messed up, it is not easy to fix, but on a day-to-day basis, it just runs like a tank of gas.

They were all set up when I got here.

It is expensive. Its cost is the main thing.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to compare costs to other solutions and also look at the virtual appliance version of it.

I would rate Dell EMC Avamar a six out of 10.

Chitharanjan K - PeerSpot reviewer
Executive IT Operations at Indian Immunologicals Limited
Reporting feature is too complex but the stability is okay
  • "The stability is okay."
  • "Dell EMC Avamar is a very complex product. It took a lot of time for the IT admins to get trained on how to use it. It is not very user-friendly, and we won't be using Avamar anymore. It needs a lot of improvement in terms of how the backups have been configured, and the reporting is too complex."

What needs improvement?

Dell EMC Avamar is a very complex product. It took a lot of time for the IT admins to get trained on how to use it. It is not very user-friendly, and we won't be using Avamar anymore.

It needs a lot of improvement in terms of how the backups have been configured, and the reporting is too complex. There are a lot of improvements that should be done in the reporting feature and how the endpoints are getting added to the console. These processes need to be a little more simplified. It is not that easy to get an immediate report based on our requirements. It is too complex. We have to write some scripts and things like that. There are predefined scripts, but they aren't very user-friendly for the customer.

We have been using this product for more than six years.

The stability is okay.

If you want to scale up again, you have to buy a complete appliance. There is no option for just scaling up for the mid-phase entities. Only the larger entities would be able to afford that kind of complete appliance scalability. In terms of scalability, I'm not a fan of Avamar.

We haven't used Veeam before, but we are currently replacing Avamar with Veeam now. We are still in the process of switching.

The cost is high.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this product 5 out of 10.

Mina-Magdy - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Infrastructure Solutions Specialist at Fiber Nisr
Very effective virtualization system and end point protection
  • "Effective in protecting the virtualization system and end points."
  • "Interfaces need to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

Our company is Dell EMCs largest partner in Egypt and the Middle East. We have a titanium partnership with them and I'm the senior infrastructure solutions specialist.

What is most valuable?

Avamar is a very effective product when it comes to protecting the virtualization system and end points. Data Protection Suite has three recovery and backup protection solutions and Avamar is one of them. It's a very effective product and can be used for replication and high-end enterprise applications. The solution doesn't require a specific backup admin in the environment, every application admin will perform their own backup and data protection process. It's very easy to use.

What needs improvement?

I believe they need to improve the interfaces. Without official training it's harder to deliver the marketing and the reviews over shared media.

This is a very stable and easy to use program.

Dell offers us good technical support.

Data Protection Suite has Avamar as one of its components and comes with a license that covers a limited number of virtual machines, capacity, and end points. It's not sold as a separate product. I believe $1000 may cover a single socket and covers the whole data center including the endpoint, the replication, the CD and data protection. It's very cost effective and affordable when compared to other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I need to rate the Data Protection Suite as a whole, given that Avamar is no longer sold as a separate product.

I rate the whole solution a nine out of 10.

Download our free Dell Avamar Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: July 2022