We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Commercial Intelligence Coordinator at a international affairs institute with 5,001-10,000 employees
Has a good scheduler, and offers very good Rtools for machine learning
  • "The product's Macros probably are one of the most useful aspects."
  • "Sometimes workflows tend to queue up, and they tend to get canceled for some reason that we don't know sometimes."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for automation, data cleansing, QA, some data science and machine learning software for the company.

What is most valuable?

The product's Macros probably are one of the most useful aspects. It's obviously useful overall if you just combine all the tools, however, in terms of usability, the Macros really stand out.

Using the Alteryx scheduler, and the use of Rtools for machine learning is very helpful.

These are all a bit more advanced, in terms of tools, however, they make for a very good user experience.

What needs improvement?

We've had a lot of issues within the Alteryx Server. It really could be improved.

There are memory management issues in terms of the Mongo database that they manage. There could be a better user interface for the gallery, which is where we automate the workflows.

I've been using the solution for five years at this point.

The stability is okay. It's good on the designer, however, it could be better on the server.

In terms of scalability, the server is quite scalable, however, the designer is not.

The initial setup was easy, overall. It's easy to use and easy to learn and you don't have to be a data scientist or an engineer to use it. It makes the setup very straightforward, as the overall design is very approachable.

The deployment likely took us about two to three months to set up. It was five years ago now, and therefore it's difficult to recall.

We mostly handled the initial setup ourselves. We didn't hire consultants or integrators.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer and end-user. We don't have a business relationship with the company.

We have an Alteryx server, and we also use the desktop version or the designer version on our workspaces, which are hosted on the cloud.

In general, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten. We've been mostly happy with it, however, there are areas in which is could improve.

Product Manager at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Scalable, easy to set up, and has a simple GUI
  • "The GUI is simple and it integrates with Python."
  • "We are hoping that the NLP features will also support Chinese characters."

What is our primary use case?

We are mainly using Alteryx for data preparation and processing data.

We are also monitoring for some of our customers, in product analysis, regressions or customer segmentations, and column correlations analysis.

What is most valuable?

The GUI is simple and it integrates with Python.

What needs improvement?

For the area in Alteryx, such as the server the prices are high and it would be better to reduce the fees.

Some of the new tools in the intelligence Suite are the Optical Character Recognition (OCR) and the Natural Language Processing (NLP) language for English characters. We are hoping that the NLP features will also support Chinese characters.

We started carrying Alteryx in February of this year, 2020.

Alteryx is a stable product.

This is a very scalable solution. For every organization or company, there are a few data scientists working with Alteryx. For some of the enterprise, they have a team of five working with this solution, whereas others have two.

Community support is good, but I have not yet contacted technical support. I am not able to assess them.

As a Data Scientist Platform, Alteryx is the first platform that we have worked with.

I have worked with IBM and some other vendors from Hong Kong.

The initial setup is easy, straightforward, and simple.

Within hours, I can have the designer up and running.

The price for Alteryx Designer is reasonable but the price of the Alteryx Server for universal collaborations is too expensive.

I am currently doing a comparison between Data IQ and Alteryx.

What other advice do I have?

Most of our clients in Hong Kong are on-premises because they don't want to share the data on the Cloud.

We use several other products because we want a unified platform for our customers.

If you have experience with Excel, macros, or VBA then you have a great foundation to use Alteryx.

I would rate Alteryx an eight out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Alteryx. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,322 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Solutions Engineer at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
Scalable, reliable, and good technical support
  • "The solution has been stable."
  • "The solution could improve in the visualization."

What is our primary use case?

I have multiple clients that are using this solution and the use cases can be very specific to the domain they are coming from.

I am an Alteryx designer and I have been trying to fine-tune the operations. Most recently I have been getting more involved with predictive analytics. I am transitioning from the ETL to an advanced analytics platform and then doing the seamless integration with the BI tools. These are the areas I have been exploring and currently, I am only working on use cases that are very specific to this area.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve in the visualization. There is a reporting palette available, but I do not think organizations would rely just on that one pallet. We need a BI tool for larger implementation reporting. The visualization cannot just be the basic visualization but immediate reporting.

When comparing this solutions' BI tool to major competitors, such as Tableau and Power BI, the competitors both massively use visualization and dashboarding whereas this solution does not. However, this solution is much further ahead in other areas, for example, deployment. When it comes to just the visualization it not fair to compare these solutions.

I have been using the solution within the last 12 months.

The solution has been stable.

What I know of the solution it can scale very well.

I have not used support very much in the past. However, during the one or two cases when we had to use the support, we received a solution from them promptly.

The installation is fairly simple and straightforward. We had no issues with the implementation.

Previously I have used consultants for the implementation but I can now do it myself.

There is a license required for this solution.

I have previously evaluated Tableau and Power BI.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Alteryx an eight out of ten.

Consultant at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
User-friendly and straightforward implementation

What is our primary use case?

We have very similar use cases with Alyterx, Knime, and Trifecta. We are taking the data from disparate systems and transforming and making the data available for further visualization.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Alteryx is user-friendliness.

I have been using Alteryx for approximately one year.

If the speed of the database increases when we are performing the jobs on the Alteryx server it is not giving me a lot of visibility on how I can improve the performance of the jobs. Alteryx product is fine, but the server is somewhat weak. The only desirable feature we can use is scheduling.

What do I think about the scalability of

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Alteryx is user-friendliness.

I have been using Alteryx for approximately one year.

The scalability worries me a lot at the moment because the cost of the solution is high and it is not growing considerably. Unfortunately, we started during early COVID times and because of the economic downturn, all the cost cuttings, and everything, it is not growing as expected.

I would rate the technical support of Alteryx a six out of ten.

Recently the support has been facing attrition problems and we are experiencing a lot of wait time. I do not like the premium support service. We did not subscribe to the premium support because it would have increased the cost on our side.

I have used Knime and Trifecta previously.

The initial setup of Alteryx is straightforward. However, when we are setting it up for an enterprise it gives too much leeway for an end-user. For example, the license location, activation, and license management are not good. When we want to have some control over who is using the license, who is not using the license, there are some issues, we already informed Alteryx about it. We need better control over the whole process.

The cost of the solution could be reduced.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Alteryx an eight out of ten.

Alejandro Moscoso
General Surgeon at a healthcare company with 51-200 employees
Multiple database merging, easy install, and stable
  • "I think the most valuable feature for Alteryx in a health facility is that it permits cleaning, organizing, and merging of databases such as Excel and Access."
  • "The interface could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

I am the head of investigation on-site, I use the solution every day for merging and other management of records. I also export data to individuals that need the information we store, such as facilitators.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution allows us to manage our databases data.

What is most valuable?

I think the most valuable feature for Alteryx in a health facility is that it permits cleaning, organizing, and merging of databases such as Excel and Access. This is very valuable for us since we have many databases.

What needs improvement?

The interface could be improved. Currently, when you are looking at the information on the screen it is broken down into three parts of the screen. For example, when doing algorithms and you want to see the results on the screen this is when it gets really difficult to view. However, this is fine visually to work with on a big screen but when you are working with a laptop screen it is not very comfortable. Everything is very small.

You have to know to use it. You have to have some training and it's hard. This could improve.

I have been using the solution for approximately 10 months.

I have not had any issue with the stability of the solution.

Since I only have one license to use the solution it is difficult to know about the potential scalability.

The setup is really easy.

The install took approximately 35 minutes.

The license is really expensive, we cannot afford to have two or three. It takes away all the budget of my area.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend the solution 100%. I really think it is a better platform than competitors.

I rate Alteryx a nine out of ten.

Director, Innovation & Analytics at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Advance analytics with code-free usage, and a user-friendly interface for non-users
  • "The design portion of this tool is easy to use without code, which his something that something we can appreciate."
  • "There are no ready models to use in analytics."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution mostly for ETL purposes, and we have just started using advanced analytics, demand forecasting, and some supply chain optimization tasks.

What is most valuable?

The design portion of this tool is easy to use without code, which his something that something we can appreciate. We can say it's code-free usage.

What needs improvement?

There are no ready models to use in analytics. There is no content. You have the tools but you don't have the content.

In the next release, I would like to see Auto Machine Learning.

I have been using this solution for three years.

We have just upgraded to the latest version.

This is a stable solution.

This solution is scalable.

We have ten users in our company, who are engineers and business analysts.

Team members have contacted technical support for troubleshooting purposes. The technical support is sufficient.

Previously, we were using Microsoft System Servers. Alteryx has a more user-friendly interface allowing more non-users to use it.

The initial setup was simple. Just connect to a couple of data sources and transform the data. It took about three months to deploy.

We do the maintenance of what has already been developed.

We did not use a vendor, we did the implementation on our own.

There are some implementation services and internal effort costs at the beginning but there is nothing else.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I recommend.

Manager at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Great performance and modelling features; very user friendly
  • "The modeling features are very good."
  • "There are a few imputation techniques which they really need to include."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for ML related and deep learning related things like data cleaning and and then later we work on machine learning. I'm a business analyst and we are customers of Alteryx.

What is most valuable?

The modelling features are very good in Alteryx and better than what you'd find in open-source software. Python and R rule the market. Although Alteryx is a paid software, it is equally able to provide better performance without writing a single line of code. That's the USP of the software as such. It's very user friendly.

What needs improvement?

There are a few imputation techniques which they really need to include. Things you'd find in Python. And there are advanced techniques coming in every day there. Alteryx needs to update more quickly. There are also a few things from geospatial or updating perspectives that are still better in open-source software than what you find in Alteryx.

I've been using this solution for three years.

In terms of stability, we haven't had glitches or issues with the software.

I have had contact with technical support in license related things, but it's more community based where you can learn and resolve things if you have hiccups. If there are any issues, the technical support will resolve it for us. We have seven people in the company using this solution.

The initial setup is not complex.

What other advice do I have?

I think Alteryx is a good software to work with. It's user-friendly and more accurate than other products in terms of the predictions and modelling.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Vivek Vaibhav
Project Leader at Bain & Company
Fast data processing, highly scalable, and good community support
  • "Data processing is most valuable. It is one of the fastest data blockers out there in the market, which is a fascinating thing about Alteryx."
  • "They can provide some pre-built tools for predictive analytics instead of us having to build all the tools. It should also be improved from the visualization aspect. It should have better visualization capabilities. There are tools out there that have better visualization capabilities, which Alteryx is lacking currently."

What is most valuable?

Data processing is most valuable. It is one of the fastest data blockers out there in the market, which is a fascinating thing about Alteryx.

What needs improvement?

They can provide some pre-built tools for predictive analytics instead of us having to build all the tools.

It should also be improved from the visualization aspect. It should have better visualization capabilities. There are tools out there that have better visualization capabilities, which Alteryx is lacking currently.

I have been using this solution for more than six years.

I have done a lot of work on Alteryx and deployed it on client servers, and Alteryx is a highly scalable solution in my opinion.

It is mostly used by the analytics team, which includes analyst associates and project leaders. The consulting team also uses it pretty often. We would like to increase its usage because it is a pretty good software to work with.

I believe their technical support is pretty great. I mostly use the Alteryx community, which is really helpful. It is maintained by Alteryx people.

I used SQL previously, but it was not very good for quick and dirty analysis. So, I switched to Alteryx.

It is straightforward. It is on the cloud, but the major functions that we have are on the desktop itself. The cloud solution is good for client deployments.

My organization pays for it, and I do not look into the financial aspect of the licensing, but I know it is pretty expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Alteryx a nine out of ten.