Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more
Eduardo-Perez - PeerSpot reviewer
Public Procurement Area Consultant at Memorandum
Easy to set up with a good enterprise integrator and great reliability
  • "The solution is stable."
  • "The user interface could be a bit better."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is used mainly for API management.

What is most valuable?

The main feature is the enterprise integrator. It's very important to API management. You can implement SOA strategy in the company using the API Manager. Some companies were just using enterprise integrators at the beginning. For implementers, they had to install it to use the API management and identity the server to have more security in the system.

The solution is stable.

It's scalable.

It is easy to set up.

What needs improvement?

They've already improved a lot of features between versions six and seven.

The user interface could be a bit better. Sometimes you have different visual aspects when you change from one screen to another.

I'm implementing a WSO2 project right now. I've used the solution for the last six months.

WSO2 API Manager
September 2022
Learn what your peers think about WSO2 API Manager. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
632,779 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It is a reliable, stable solution. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

You can scale the product.

We can install it in a cluster manner. We can use Docker to scale all of the systems.

We have 1,000 users on the solution.

We had support every time we needed it; we could reach support without a problem.

Positive

The initial setup is not complex. You can install everything together in what they call an all-in-one setup, or you can install each model separately. It's not difficult to install.

If I had to rate the initial setup of WSO from one to five, I'd rate it a four out of five.

I don't deal with the licensing aspect of the product.

What other advice do I have?

I'm starting with Microsoft as our API manager on a daily basis.

I'm working as a project manager and architect, so I don't install the products. However, I understand their texture and how the parts interact with each other.

I'd advise new users to have a company that knows it very, very well. If you don't don't know the product at the beginning, you can make a mess of your project. Choose a good partner first to make everything easier.

I would rate the solution eight out of ten. It's a good product.

Sr. Technology Specialist at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
A complete solution for designing and publishing with useful open-source features
  • "Its open-source features are very good, especially for your production work."
  • "They don't have different URLs for administrators."

What is our primary use case?

We're currently evaluating WSO2 API Manager and Kong for development environments and not production environments. We're currently using Apigee and AWS API Database for the production environments.

What is most valuable?

Its open-source features are very good, especially for your production work. If your workload's still running in an on-premises environment, WSO2 is a good product.

I like a few WSO2 plugins we're using for routing, message request transformation, or response transformation. I also like the security encryption feature.

Another thing I like about WSO2 is the nice training and tutorials they have on their website. They have my type of training on their website for API gateway and open banking. They're all self-based training, and you can go to those training pages or videos and learn in your free time.

What needs improvement?

They don't have different URLs for administrators. They should have one in place like Kong. For example, Kong has Konga as an administrative URL, where everything is available in one place for submissions and subscribers. But with WSO2, they have exposed it on a different port, and if I want to publish, I have to open a different URL with a different port for publishers and subscribers. It'll help if they can combine it on one port. WSO2 API Manager could also be somewhat cheaper.

I have been using WSO2 API Manager for more than one or two months.

It looks like a stable product.

WSO2 API Manager is a scalable solution.

WSO2 is the first open-source solution we're trying out. But we're still using Apigee from Google and AWS API Database from Amazon.

The initial setup is straightforward, and not much effort is required for installation. It's simple.

We implemented it by ourselves. It took about two people to set up and deploy.

It's not expensive, but it could be cheaper.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it as I think it is good.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give WSO2 API Manager an eight.

WSO2 API Manager
September 2022
632,779 professionals have used our research since 2012.
RomanFigurny - PeerSpot reviewer
API Developer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Open-source, easy to use, and has excellent technical support
  • "WSO2 API Manager is easy to use."
  • "I would improve the product documentation. There are some gaps, and it can be difficult to find the proper documentation for the product if you need to solve something."

What is our primary use case?

We use WSO2 API Manager for securing API calls for various applications.

What is most valuable?

WSO2 API Manager is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

I would improve the product documentation. There are some gaps, and it can be difficult to find the proper documentation for the product if you need to solve something.

There are some new features, but we are not currently using the most recent version. We're looking forward to the new release.

The initial setup could be simplified.

I have been using WSO2 API Manager for one and a half years.

We have a subcontractor who occasionally downloads new versions from the repository and dates them on a half-year basis.

It is not scalable, in a specific way, but scalable in OCP.

There are 20 to 40 applications and thousands of users who are working through the solution.

We are quite satisfied with technical support.

I would rate technical support a four out of five.

Positive

I'm not currently working with IBM products because my job has changed. I'm now employed by a different company, and I'm now primarily working with WSO2 products.

We mainly use API Management and Identity Server.

The initial setup is medium, not easy, but also not difficult.

It's a complicated product. There are numerous distinct connections.

We have a maximum of ten engineers working on various parts of the solution and looking after deployment and maintenance.

It was not done by me. I lack experience with the current setup.

We use the open-source version of WSO2 API Manager, there is no cost.

What other advice do I have?

I definitely recommend this solution.

Because the complexity of the setup and the documentation could be improved, I would rate WSO2 API Manager an eight out of ten.

I'm pleased with the WSO2 product, but there are some gaps in the documentation. It could be greatly improved in this case so that it is easier to deploy and maintain when there are issues.

Private Cloud
Integration Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
A simple solution with good API management lifecycle, but needs better support and the ability to write orchestrations
  • "API management lifecycle is the most valuable."
  • "I would like it to be a more convenient development platform with the ability to write orchestrations and so on. Our problem with this product is that in my country, we are the only enterprise that has been using this product. We're missing a lot of knowledge from colleagues to consult with, and we also aren't able to recruit people with relevant skills. It is a big problem. The small team that is maintaining this product is the only team that can actually relate to any technical issue. The support that we're getting from the company is not great. There is also a cultural gap there because they're from Sri Lanka, and it is not easy. They're putting in a lot of effort, but they are not meeting our expectations."

What is our primary use case?

It is basically used for the integration of applications inside the organization and also for business partners outside the organization.

What is most valuable?

API management lifecycle is the most valuable.

What needs improvement?

I would like it to be a more convenient development platform with the ability to write orchestrations and so on.

Our problem with this product is that in my country, we are the only enterprise that has been using this product. We're missing a lot of knowledge from colleagues to consult with, and we also aren't able to recruit people with relevant skills. It is a big problem. The small team that is maintaining this product is the only team that can actually relate to any technical issue. The support that we're getting from the company is not great. There is also a cultural gap there because they're from Sri Lanka, and it is not easy. They're putting in a lot of effort, but they are not meeting our expectations.

I have been using this solution for three years. I have used it in production for two years.

It is stable.

It is scalable. We have a few dozen users.

The support that we're getting from the company is not great.

It was pretty straightforward. The deployment took a couple of weeks.

We had a reseller who is not an integrator. So, we basically did everything in-house.

We only did it in a very superficial way. We didn't really evaluate.

What other advice do I have?

I would say if you're looking for a simple and straightforward solution, it is probably a good idea, but if you're looking for a more advanced option, then you should go for some other solution.

I would rate WSO2 API Manager a seven out of ten.

Product Manager at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
Highly customizable, beneficial models, and scalable
  • "I think the best part about WSO2 API Manager is that it's highly customizable because it's open-source. The partnership model is quite lucrative for us, it helps us to go and pitch to our customers. You can build a lot of business models yourself that you want to use. You are able to do a lot of the solutions."
  • "The user interface needs to improve, it is a bit outdated."

What is our primary use case?

WSO2 API Manager is a complete platform for managing APIs.

What is most valuable?

I think the best part about WSO2 API Manager is that it's highly customizable because it's open-source. The partnership model is quite lucrative for us, it helps us to go and pitch to our customers. You can build a lot of business models yourself that you want to use. You are able to do a lot of the solutions.

What needs improvement?

The user interface needs to improve, it is a bit outdated.

There is an Affiliate Marketing monetization in Google Apigee that you would like to use in this solution but is not available. We end up having to build an alternative to get the job done. This feature should be added to this solution.

I have been using WSO2 API Manager for approximately four months.

The solution is scalable, my clients have been happy.

Most of my customers are enterprise-sized companies.

The support system is not that great. The number of employees in the organization is perhaps too little that is providing training. This causes some problems.

I am working with Google Apigee and it is quite nice, but it's a bit expensive for the customers. Otherwise, Google Apigee has a lot of different features that the WSO2 API Manager doesn't provide.

The installation is quite easy, the full implementation takes approximately three months.

I think the other competitors that are providing the same solution are quite expensive. WSO2 API Manager is quite cheap.

What other advice do I have?

WSO2 API Manager is very good for small and medium companies, but if you have an enterprise-level company, Google Apigee might be a better choice.

I rate WSO2 API Manager an eight out of ten.

Integration Architect at a tech consulting company with 201-500 employees
Helps to expose APIs to the outside world
  • "WSO2 is very stable."
  • "We had some problems with the reverse proxy not being able to invoke fully qualified domain names, so we have to build some custom scripts to solve this issue."

What is our primary use case?

We are a banking solution and use WSO2 to offer our services to banks.

How has it helped my organization?

WSO2 helps to expose our internal APIs to the outside world.

What needs improvement?

We had some problems with the reverse proxy not being able to invoke fully qualified domain names, so we have to build some custom scripts to solve this issue. In the next release, WSO2 should make multifactor authentication simpler.

I've been using WSO2 API Manager for two years.

WSO2 is very stable.

WSO2's scalability is very good because we deployed using a microgateway-driven approach on OCP, which takes care of scaling. I would rate its scalability as 4.5 out of five.

WSO2's technical support is good.

Positive

I previously used IBM App Connect but switched to WSO2 for a number of reasons, including cost, complexity, technical resource availability, troubleshooting, and multiple practice.

The pattern we followed to set up WSO2 was a bit complex, but the end goal was very clear, so the setup itself was straightforward and took about two days. I would rate the setup experience as four out of five.

We used a third-party team.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise anybody thinking of implementing WSO2 to go for it. I would give WSO2 a rating of eight out of ten.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Partners
Open Bannking,API and SOA Technical Architect at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Reliable, good support, but could be more secure
  • "WSO2 API Manager is a stable solution."
  • "WSO2 API Manager could increase their security compliance."

What is our primary use case?

WSO2 API Manager is used for digitalization and innovation.

What needs improvement?

WSO2 API Manager could increase their security compliance.

Here in India, the government is coming with a lot of regulations and required security features which the solutions have to upgrade to meet this requirement. Most of the solutions sell API management as a security solution, but they have to improve the security features.

There are a lot of modules and it can be complex.

I have been using WSO2 API Manager for approximately four years.

WSO2 API Manager is a stable solution.

My customers are not large companies, their volume is less. That is the reason why I recommend WSO2 API Manager because they have a full life cycle of products. For example, they have ESB, API management, and other tools. Additionally, they have webMethods and is quite expensive.

There is a solution called Gravity which is new that is very good, but they have pure API management which vendors are looking for a full-fledged solution. That is their legacy model, they would need an ESB.

The technical support is good but it depends on the partner relationship.

I would rate the support from the WSO2 API Manager a four out of five.

Most of the solutions similar to WSO2 API Manager have small differences, because of how it fits in their environment. The features that WSO2 API Manager has most of the vendors have too.

What other advice do I have?

I rate WSO2 API Manager a seven out of ten.

Software Engineer at eCam Solution Co., Ltd
Simple interface, simple implementation, but rate-limit could improve

What is our primary use case?

We use WSO2 API Manager to manage APIs.

What is most valuable?

WSO2 API Manager's most valuable features are the simple interface that is easy to use and the APIs lifecycle.

What needs improvement?

WSO2 API Manager could improve the API approval system.

I have been using WSO2 API Manager for approximately one year.

The stability of the WSO2 API Manager is good.

We have used the open-source version, but I'm we have now switched to the enterprise version, I am not of the differences. The rate-limiting in the open-source seems not to work. When I add buy limits, it does not work correctly. I do not think this issue is in the enterprise version.

This solution is suitable for medium to large businesses.

The technical support from the WSO2 API Manager is very good. When there is an issue they fix the ticket very quickly.

I have not used other API management systems.

The initial setup of WSO2 API Manager is simple.

WSO2 API Manager is a low-cost solution. It is one of the most affordable solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I find the solution to be good overall. The solution is receiving a lot of attention and is attracting investors.

I rate WSO2 API Manager a seven out of ten.

Download our free WSO2 API Manager Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: September 2022