We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Assistant Vice President Global IT at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to set up with good performance and helpful technical support

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for hosting applications. We have six applications, which are VMs.

What is most valuable?

The stability and performance are great.  The initial setup is pretty straightforward.  The solution can scale.  Technical support is great.

What needs improvement?

We've had a few minor compatibility issues.

We have been using Windows Server for 20 to 25 years at this point. It's likely been over two decades. We've used it for quite a while.

The solution is extremely stable and the performance has been great. The product doesn't crash or freeze. We don't experience bugs or glitches. It's a reliable system.

What do I think about

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

The stability and performance are great.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

The solution can scale.

Technical support is great.

What needs improvement?

We've had a few minor compatibility issues.

The scalability is good. We moved from the 2012 version to the 2019 version and found that the scalability has improved.

We have about 10,000 users on the solution currently.

Technical support has been fine. We are satisfied with the level of support we get.

We previously used the 2012 version and have since moved to the 2019 version of Windows Server

The initial setup was very straightforward for us. We didn't run into any issues and didn't find any complexities or difficulties. We upgraded from the 2012 to the 2019 version and that took us about one day. It was pretty fast.

We have a team of about 15 technicians that can handle deployment and maintenance.

We did not use a consultant or integrator when we did the implementation. We handled it ourselves, in-house. We were quite capable of handling the process internally.

We pay a yearly licensing fee.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the 2019 version of the solution, which is the latest.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

I would recommend the solution to other organizations and companies.

Cloud Service Director at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Reliable and quite stable with a familiar operating system
  • "We haven't had any issues with the server whatsoever. It's been very reliable."
  • "The scalability could be improved a bit."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for the Arctic directory, SharePoint, or the Information System's company.

What is most valuable?

The operating system is the solution's most valuable aspect. Many people on the team are extremely familiar with it.

We haven't had any issues with the server whatsoever. It's been very reliable.

What needs improvement?

The patching could be better within the solution. There are many updates, however, if you compare it with other parts of Windows, the patching has a different management structure.

The scalability could be improved a bit.

I've worked with a company that has had the solution on and off over the course of maybe ten years or so. I've worked with them over the last two months.

The solution is quite stable. I consider it reliable. I don't have issues with bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's been good overall.

We have at least 2000 uses on the solution currently in my organization. About 60 of those are software engineers and data scientists and other related positions.

I find the scalability to be pretty good. We don't have any issues in that sense. However, it could be a bit better.

We do plan to increase usage in the future.

Technical support is good however, you do need to sign a contract with premier support in order to get excellent service.

I don't deal with the pricing aspect of the solution and therefore can't really comment on how much it costs or if we are charged on a monthly or yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We don't have a business relationship with Microsoft.

We're using both the 2012 and 2016 versions of the solution right now.

Overall, I would rate the solution eight out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Windows Server. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
566,121 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Team leader technical support at a manufacturing company with 201-500 employees
Reliable, scalable, and compatible with most applications
  • "Most applications are compatible with this operating system."
  • "The security suffers the same issues as our Windows 10 for endpoint deployments. It could be more secure."

What is our primary use case?

We use Windows Server as the endpoint solution and for hosting our enterprise applications.

What is most valuable?

It makes an ideal tool for certain solutions. Most applications are compatible with this operating system.

What needs improvement?

The support could be more straightforward.

I have been using Windows Server since its existence. It's been more than twenty years.

We use versions 2012Rs and up.

Windows Server is a stable solution.

It is a scalable product. We have approximately 300 users in our organization who are using Windows Server.

Technical support is a bit varied. Depending on the type of technical support that you need, most are very responsive and usually, they are quite knowledgeable.

There is definitely room for improvement, especially with more complex and less straightforward questions. It tends to stay in the area of data gathering.

We have just a few applications running on the SUSE Linux platform. These applications are few and far between and we are moving away from that platform.

We use Marketplace VMs from Azure or templated solutions from our on-premise Hypervisor. Deployment takes less than 10 minutes.

Setting up the environment where this service solution can be deployed takes a little bit longer. But we can do that ourselves with no problem.

They are the same type of licensing for the Windows 10 endpoint solutions.

We pay these on an annual basis.

It is also dependant on your relationship with Microsoft as a company.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others who are interested in using it.

I would rate Windows Server an eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
System Manager at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to set up and has good file sharing protocols, but the event logging and reporting need improvement
  • "The most valuable features are the file transfer protocol (FTP) and the secure file transfer protocol (SFTP)."
  • "The reporting, event logging, and event management functionalities need to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are primarily using Windows Server for monitoring purposes.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the file transfer protocol (FTP) and the secure file transfer protocol (SFTP). These are both used for file sharing.

What needs improvement?

Windows Server needs more applications from the monitoring and backup perspective. These are not incorporated yet. In previous versions, the backup software was available, but not now.

I have been using Windows Server for 10 years.

There are bugs that appear but Microsoft provides updates that can rectify the bugs or expand the number of features.

Most of the features are scalable. Windows 2016 and 2019 may be more scalable, but we have not recently upgraded the infrastructure.

Our customer has a small number of people using Windows Server.

We began with using Windows Server and we are still using it. We are looking to migrate to Linux as well, but it depends on the infrastructure and the types of licenses. Microsoft recently began including lots of applications that require licenses, where they were not needed previously.

We are also using Ubuntu Linux and CentOS, which are open-source solutions.

Certain tools are easier to use, depending on whether you are using Linux or Windows.

The initial setup is straightforward and our deployment was completed in three months.

When we implement this solution, we start in a development environment and then move it to production.

Our in-house team performed the deployment.

The number of staff required for maintenance depends on the environment, infrastructure, and the type of activity that is being done.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Cliff Matonda
System Administrator at a non-tech company with 10,001+ employees
Reliable, commonly known and used, and scalable
  • "Windows Server is most commonly used and practiced."
  • "Often, we get updates that affect productivity."

What is our primary use case?

We upgraded to 2019 and use this as our operating system for our domain controller, for our file server, and for running our ERP. We're also run our ERP on  Microsoft Dynamics.

What is most valuable?

Windows Server is most commonly used and practiced. It is compatible with what we are running. You can run Dynamics on Linux or other operating systems, but our clients commonly use Windows Server, Microsoft products, and Office 365.

What needs improvement?

Often, we get updates that affect productivity. It's the way they do the updates.

After an update has been done, Microsoft notifies us that there is a problem.

It is not practical to have a test environment. There should be an easier process, as currently, it's a bit tedious. They should find a way of proving or revamping this procedure. It should be very fast.

When you are running Windows and Microsoft, you will see an error message regarding ransomware and suggest the security is up-to-date, but the update always affects the operating system. Most of the issues we have are when we apply security updates or critical updates, which will affect the operating system, the production environment, and your business.

It is recommended to have a test environment, run it on the test environment to make sure that it is working well then put it in the production environment. This is a tedious process. Most of the time, people just take a risk and just apply it without doing the test.

I have been using Windows Server for more than 10 years.

We are using Windows 2019, 2016, and 2012.

It's a stable solution.

Windows Server is scalable.

We are also using Exchange version 2016, and Windows 10.

What other advice do I have?

With a proper deployment, Windows Server is good.

I would rate Windows Server an eight out of ten.

Nagendran Ponnan
DGM-IT at a construction company with 10,001+ employees
Runs well, good performance, no issues and it is stable
  • "Windows Server is running well, the performance is good, there are no issues and it is stable."
  • "Sometimes we are getting very quick support, sometimes it takes time."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Windows Server for our business applications, ERP and everything else.

What is most valuable?

Windows Server is running well, the performance is good, there are no issues and it is stable.

Because we are using it a very long time and all our applications need Windows OS to run, so by default, we are using Windows OS.

I have been using Windows Server for more than 20 years.

In terms of the versions we are using, it is mixed - we are using 2016 and 2019. A few of our servers are still using the 2012, also.

In terms of scalability, in one server we need to install only one OS. So if you want to install more OS's in more servers, then we can install it.

The quality of support depends upon the Microsoft products. Sometimes they will provide quick support, sometimes it takes time, so I cannot comment exactly on their support.

Sometimes we are getting very quick support, sometimes it takes time.

We are using Windows Server as well as a few open tool Linux.

Windows Server typically takes around 30 minutes to install.

We need very few people for deploying the Windows Server.

Without a license we cannot use Windows Server. The price depends on the people and their budget. We have our enterprise EA agreement with Microsoft and based on that we are doing the licenses.

What other advice do I have?

Everyone knows how the graphic user interface looks with Microsoft Windows Server.

In terms of whether I would recommend Microsoft Windows Server, it depends on their use case. If their application is running only in Windows Server, they should use the server.

On a scale of one to ten, I would give Microsoft Windows Server an eight.

HimanshuTejwani
System Administrator and DevOps Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Great UI, easy to use, straightforward deployment, and many applications available
  • "This solution is very user friendly, easy to use for any system administrator, simple to deploy applications, has a wide range of applications available, great UI, and takes less technical skills to operate than some other competitors."
  • "When it comes to the performance of this solution others are slightly better such as Linux."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to install and use applications on it.

What is most valuable?

This solution is very user friendly, easy to use for any system administrator, simple to deploy applications, has a wide range of applications available, great UI, and takes less technical skills to operate than some other competitors. Additionally, the active directory has great functionality, if we want to integrate any assets, then we can easily do it.

What needs improvement?

When it comes to the performance of this solution others are slightly better such as Linux. This solution promotes its services only, in some of the integrations, it does not support external ones.

I have been using the solution for the last three years.

The solution is stable and the updates are done automatically. I have not had any major critical issue, but if there was, there is a big online community we can find a solution that is great. Otherwise, it is supported by Windows diagnostic within the software.

We have approximately 45 users using the solution in my company.

The support for Microsoft is very good.

We use Windows Server and Linux, they have different strengths and weaknesses in use cases. Linux feels a little lighter than this solution.

The installation is straightforward, there is not any difficulty and took approximately 35 minutes.

We did the implementation ourselves and a single person can do the deployment.

There is a license for this solution and the price could be cheaper.

What other advice do I have?

We are going to continue to use the solution and I recommend it to others.

I rate Windows Server a ten out of ten.

Cyber security manager at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Quick and easy installation with good troubleshooting abilities
  • "The features that I have found most valuable are that it is quick with an easy installation and has good troubleshooting compared to Linux or any other operating system."
  • "I would like to see better updates and for it to support other applications"

What is our primary use case?

Windows Server is deployed both on-premises and on cloud.

What is most valuable?

They provide updates and patches in a timely manner.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see better updates and for it to support other applications

I have been using Windows Server since the inception of the company.

Windows Server is stable. It is just that the updates and other things do sometimes break. The updates are fast so maybe everything is my issue with the legacy applications.

Windows Server is scalable. We have around 300 to 500 users on it.

Customer support is okay, but I believe it would be much better if they supported other applications. The challenge with them is they will say that you have installed some applications that they cannot support. So the blame game is there in that case and it is not a Microsoft issue or an application specific issue. So we have to fiddle around with that.

The initial setup is easy. It took 10 to 15 minutes.

We had a technical team of around 10 people for the deployment and maintenance.

You can do it by yourself or with the help of the consultant or integrator, it depends on the configuration you need.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I would give Windows Server an eight.

My advice to anyone considering Windows Server is, if they don't have any other choice then they can use it. If they have a choice then they should go for an alternate solution because in the longer run they can save a lot of money in licensing.

Hybrid Cloud