We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Rmegio Lawag
Technical Department Manager at Direcbusiness Technologies, Inc.
Straightforward setup and good stability

What is our primary use case?

We use it mostly for integration into an ERP system. We also use it for our internal development of products.

How has it helped my organization?

We have many users, between 50 and 100 using the SQL Server product.

What is most valuable?

We have been using SQL Server from the start, so it's a stable product.

What needs improvement?

I think a web console for the management studio, I think that would be a good thing. I think also on load balancing. I think that's something that we can use.

We've been using SQL Server for 12 years. We are currently using the latest version. It is deployed on-premise and cloud.

The product is stable.

What do I think

What is our primary use case?

How has it helped my organization?

We have many users, between 50 and 100 using the SQL Server product.

What is most valuable?

We have been using SQL Server from the start, so it's a stable product.

The product is stable.

The product is scalable.

Right now we don't get much technical support from Microsoft. I think for all issues we encounter, we do the solutions by ourselves. I think if there should be some avenue for us to raise some issues that we are encountering, so maybe that would be something that's good for us as well. It is not easy to contact Microsoft support for this product.

Setup required two engineers to deploy it. It was pretty straightforward and took one to two days.

We didn't have any licensing costs for SQL Server.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product to others and give it an 8 out of 10.

SashisekharPanda
General Manager/MVP at Yotta Infrastructure Solutions LLP
Reliable, Stable, And Cost-effective Solution For A Small Database
  • "The features that we have found the most valuable are reliability, availability perspective, and current scalability."
  • "The scalability and the high availability feature can be expanded or improved. Currently, there is a limitation on scalability. A feature similar to the Oracle Diagnostic feature can be included to provide a better user experience."

What is our primary use case?

We use on-premises, standalone deployment of SQL Server for our own CRM database. There are around seven to eight users in our company.

How has it helped my organization?

SQL Server suffices our main requirement of a small database, and it is also very cost-effective.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The scalability and the high availability feature can be expanded or improved. Currently, there is a limitation on scalability.

We have been using SQL Server for around 10 years.

Stability and scalability are both good. It suffices for our current requirements, but if we want to scale up in the future, it has limitations.

We sometimes contacted Microsoft technical support, and we also have in-house Microsoft support. We are happy with the support.

The initial setup was straightforward.

Our in-house team handled the deployment.

SQL Server is a cost-effective solution for a small database.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend SQL Server.

I would rate SQL Server an eight out of ten.

Not a ten because it has some limitations. When considering overall scalability, reliability, features, if you look at Oracle, it's still ahead of SQL Server.

Learn what your peers think about SQL Server. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,729 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Santosh Kurakula
Group DWH and BI Senior Manager at Virgin Mobile Middle East and Africa
Low maintenance, helpful online community, and flexible
  • "The SQL Server is low maintenance, it does not require advanced technical skills to maintain or use it as you might in other similar database solutions. You need some knowledge on how to access the solution and how to query it but it is fairly straightforward."
  • "SQL Server could improve by enhancing the integration abilities, adding more inbuilt data security features, and simplifying the maintenance."

What is our primary use case?

We use SQL Server as a relational database mostly for the application backend activities and integrations.

What is most valuable?

The SQL Server is low maintenance, it does not require advanced technical skills to maintain or use it as you might in other similar database solutions. You need some knowledge on how to access the solution and how to query it but it is fairly straightforward.

What needs improvement?

SQL Server could improve by enhancing the integration abilities, adding more inbuilt data security features, and simplifying the maintenance.

I have been using SQL Server for approximately 10 years.

SQL Server is stable.

The solution is scalable and flexible.

We have approximately 15 people using the solution in my organization.

The technical support from Microsoft is good but we have learned and received the most help from the online community.

The installation difficulty level depends on the use case and environment. For example, if you need to deploy it on multiple nodes or have large amounts of storage it could increase the difficulty level.

We have a team of approximately five database administrators and application developers who handle the setup and maintenance of the solution.

There is a license required for the use of SQL Server and we are on an annual subscription.

What other advice do I have?

I rate SQL Server a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Manjunatha OK
Marketo Consultant at Webtech software servies
Easy to query, straightforward for beginners, and extensive online support community
  • "The most valuable features of this solution are easy queries and straightforward programming for beginners."
  • "SQL Server could improve by providing something similar to an interface or dashboard where a developer can do debugging, this would make a developer's work easier. Additionally, the optimization could be better. If there was an interface showing information needed for the optimization it would help because there can be some data loss making it difficult to optimize the SQL Server."

What is our primary use case?

We use SQL Server for web application and website development.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

SQL Server could improve by providing something similar to an interface or dashboard where a developer can do debugging, this would make a developer's work easier. Additionally, the optimization could be better. If there was an interface showing information needed for the optimization it would help because there can be some data loss making it difficult to optimize the SQL Server.

I have been using this solution within the past 12 months.

The solution is stable.

The scalability is good for simple applications. However, the problem with scalability is if the application is too large, it cannot handle it. We have to depend on other database servers.

I have not used technical support but I have used the open forums online that provide all the information that we have needed. There is a large online community for support.

The installation is straightforward.

There is a license required for this solution and we pay monthly. The price is reasonable compared to other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate SQL Server an eight out of ten.

Roman Zubrytsky
Principal, Sr. IT Consultant at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
It is fairly easy to work with
  • "It is fairly easy to work with. I like the high-availability options, like mirroring for example, and the high-availability groups."
  • "The Management Studio is a pretty heavy piece of software, and it's sometimes slow. I would recommend making an express version of the Management Studio, which is lighter and has fewer features but is a little faster."

What is our primary use case?

We set up SQL Servers for developers who develop applications for data mining. Our clients are generally small or medium-sized businesses. There's also a SQL Server Express that many software vendors use to support their applications. That gets installed often—usually as part of the application installation.

What is most valuable?

It is fairly easy to work with. I like the high-availability options, like mirroring for example, and the high-availability groups. It's quite an interesting feature that enables high availability for the SQL Server. I think it's important. So that's the feature that I'm particularly interested in and it works pretty well.

What needs improvement?

The Management Studio is a pretty heavy piece of software, and it's sometimes slow. I would recommend making an express version of the Management Studio, which is lighter and has fewer features but is a little faster.

"Using" is the wrong word. We mostly set it up for others. The last time we set up an SQL Server for a client was about a year ago.

We haven't had any experiences. The software hasn't been unstable or glitchy in our environment so far.

In terms of scalability, it would be closed to a high-availability group. So I would say it varies in scale.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it nine out of 10. Nothing's perfect.

Stefano Festa
CEO at netison
Simple to use and in demand among our customers
  • "SQL Server is widely used and it's simple. You cannot do without Microsoft if you want to manage IT for a business customer."

What is our primary use case?

We manage backups for our customers, so we are not developers and we don't use SQL to provide a service. We are a managed service provider focused more on IT support and SQL configuration. So we don't use SQL as a product by ourselves. Instead, we provide instructions for how to back up SQL and do maintenance on it for our customers who need a SQL server for their CRM and ERP products. Their products need to have a SQL server to use in order to use their services. So we handle the maintenance for our customers.

What is most valuable?

Microsoft has a very broad landscape of products that they provide—almost everything that you need. SQL Server is widely used and it's simple. You cannot do without Microsoft if you want to manage IT for a business customer. And even if you don't like Microsoft, you should know how to use it because just about every customer uses Microsoft, so you have to use it. So it doesn't matter if I like it. It's everywhere, so you have to know how to use it.

I've been using Microsoft SQL Server for 25 years now.

We are a reseller of Microsoft. We also signed the SPLA agreement, which stands for Services Provider License Agreement. So we are able to use Microsoft products in our data center in order to provide cloud services to our customers.

What other advice do I have?

I rate SQL Server nine out of 10.

MartinAnderson
    Owner at BNS
    Reliable, with good programmability, and helpful web support
    • "The most valuable features are programmability and reliability."
    • "Price could be cheaper, and access to reporting tools should be better."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for business websites.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are programmability and reliability.

What needs improvement?

Price could be cheaper, and access to reporting tools should be better.

I have been working with SQL Server for more than 20 years.

It's a stable product.

It has limited scalability, but it's perfectly adequate for our needs. We apply vertical scalability to it and not horizontal.

We are a very small software development company, scaling is not an issue for us.

Technical support is good.

In general, we use what is available on the web, rather than talking to people. The articles on the web are more useful.

We have no particular issue with Microsoft.

The initial setup was straightforward. It was very easy to do.

The price could be cheaper.

What other advice do I have?

The marketing for dealer support and that type of environment is very contorted. It's very difficult to access, but, with the technical side of things, they are fine.

My experience is limited, but compared with Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server is many times better and easier to program with. So, I love Microsoft. I don't like Oracle.

I would rate SQL Server a ten out of ten.

Gheorghe SANDRU
    Managing Partner at Bizz Advisers SRL
    Stores and retrieves data requested by other applications
    • "I haven't really experienced any issues that required the assistance of technical support."
    • "The ability to connect with other environments needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to manage our database and store information. I use another platform for more specific needs.

Within our organization, there are roughly 10-12 employees using this solution.

What needs improvement?

SQL Server consumes a lot of resources. You need to keep an eye on the number of resources involved. It expands and uses all of the memory available on the server. For this reason, I install it on separate machines.

Also, the ability to connect with other environments needs to be improved.

I have been using SQL Server for nearly 10 years.

Scalability-wise, it's okay.

I haven't really experienced any issues that required the assistance of technical support.

I also use MySQL — the open-source version. I started using SQL Server because we required some special functionality for a specific project.

The initial setup was not complicated. You can do it without any external support.

I installed the entire solution myself within 20-50 minutes.

The price could always be lower.

I evaluated Oracle, but I didn't like it — I prefer Microsoft.

What other advice do I have?

I would absolutely recommend this solution to others. Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of eight.