We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Chief Technology Officer & Vice President, Delivery at a recruiting/HR firm with 1-10 employees
Very stable, easy to use, and easy to move data across versions, but needs better indexing, performance, scalability, and JSON support
  • "It is easy to use and very stable."
  • "Its support for JSON should be improved. It does support JSON, but the support is not good enough currently. They should also improve the way indexes work. Its performance can also be improved because sometimes it becomes very slow for certain table designs. It cannot have more than a certain amount of data. As compared to other databases, its capability to handle large volumes of data is not very good."

What is our primary use case?

We are a product-based company, and we use it as part of our product. It is deployed in a public cloud and on-premises.

How has it helped my organization?

We use it as part of our product, so it is helpful for us. It is easy to move data across versions, and it holds lots of our internal data for operations.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to use and very stable.

What needs improvement?

Its support for JSON should be improved. It does support JSON, but the support is not good enough currently.

They should also improve the way indexes work. Its performance can also be improved because sometimes it becomes very slow for certain table designs.

It cannot have more than a certain amount of data. As compared to other databases, its capability to handle large volumes of data is not very good.

I have been using this solution for ten years.

It has been very stable. We had a very good experience with it.

Scaling is a challenge because you cannot scale horizontally. We've run into a couple of scenarios where we were not able to scale it easily.

Their support is quite satisfactory. They have not been perfect every time, but they have mostly been quite good. They're prompt, but they weren't able to resolve some of the issues.

It is easy to install.

Our IT team handles the installation.

It is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

You should know its limitations. It cannot have more than a certain amount of data.

I would rate SQL Server a seven out of ten.

Head of Data Analytics at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Affordable, easy to use and democratic in the enterprise; scalability could be improved
  • "Very easy to use, and it's very democratic in the enterprise."
  • "Scalability of the database could be improved if it could handle increased volumes of data."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for data mart and data warehousing. My company is a service company and we provide the professional services for deployment of BI solutions. We are customers of SQL Server and I'm head of data analytics.

What is most valuable?

This solution is very easy to use, and it's very democratic in the enterprise. A lot of customers use this type of database, and that's why the deployments are very often in the medium enterprise.

What needs improvement?

I think the scalability of the database could be improved if it could handle increased volumes of data. I'd also like to see improvement in performance when you are loading big amounts of data. Integration with other solutions would be a nice additional feature.

I've been using this solution for 10 years.

The solution is very stable.

The solution is scalable to a point but not for very large enterprise.

I don't have too much contact with the support at Microsoft, but as far as I know, it's good.

This is a very affordable solution, which is why it's used so widely in the market. I think one of the strongest points of SQL Server is the reasonable cost.

What other advice do I have?

The value of this solution depends on the business case that you're trying to accomplish and company size, and it depends on the volume of data you're looking for and the type of users that you're trying to serve. Basically, it depends on everything that goes with the functional requirements of the solution. If all that works then I would recommend this product.

I rate this solution a seven out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud
Learn what your peers think about SQL Server. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
563,780 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Enterprise Architect at a educational organization with 10,001+ employees
Easy to set up and use, and the technical support is good
  • "It is the latest technology and pretty powerful in terms of the high availability of the virtual server."
  • "We have had problems implementing a data warehouse using SQL Server."

What is our primary use case?

We use SQL Server for our application data.

As a government agency, all of our data is stored in our environment on-premises.

What is most valuable?

SQL Server is easier to use than Oracle, programming-wise.

It is the latest technology and pretty powerful in terms of the high availability of the virtual server.

What needs improvement?

We have had problems implementing a data warehouse using SQL Server. It may be because the data is too big, although it claims to be able to handle the amount of data that we have. Perhaps there are some technical issues because there is something weird going on. It cannot find the correct IP address.

I have been using SQL Server for ten years.

This product is not quite as stable as Oracle. I would rate the stability as moderate and would not rate it ten out of ten.

SQL Server claims to be good, scalability-wise, but we have had issues with it.

On the other hand, we have been using it for a lot of large applications and it has worked well in those cases. For the most part, it is good, and we have a lot of users.

Microsoft technical support is good.

I also have experience with Oracle and I find that SQL Server is easier to work with, but it is not as powerful.

Initially, it is easy to set up.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering this product is that it is relatively easy to set up.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Assistant Vice President Global IT at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
A scalable and stable solution with a flawless setup
  • "The initial setup is easy, flawless."
  • "I want to see one improvement and this involves the replication between the DC and DR."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the latest version.

We can use the solution for the same application. On the database side we have Microsoft SQL and on the operating system side we have 2019.

What needs improvement?

I want to see one improvement and this involves the replication between the DC and DR. We have limited options at the moment and it does not lend sufficient support for the number of databases. This means we have a huge number of databases, topping approximately 2,000. For the moment, this particular replication is not supported by SQL.

The support number of databases needs to be increased, as well as the database number of databases that it supports. That support cannot be found when it comes to the replication between the DC and DR.

I have been using SQL Server for ten years.

The solution is sufficiently stable.

The solution is scalable.

When it comes to the speed, knowledge and customer-friendliness of the technical support, we feel these to be good.

We did not use other solutions prior to SQL Server.

The initial setup is easy, flawless.

It lasts a single day.

We handed the implementation on our own.

This involved a technical team of 15 people.

There is a need to pay for the license for SQL Server. We have an enterprise license, which we consider to be fine.

What other advice do I have?

We have 10,000 customers.

I would recommend the solution to others.

SQL Server is good and I rate it as a nine out of ten.

CEO at SkyNet
Easy to manage and configure, reliable, easy to expand, and good documentation
  • "What I like most is the management, as it is very easy compared with other products."
  • "Security is an issue."

What is our primary use case?

I am an IT professional, I write services for my clients. I provide support services for SQL, firewalls, and operating systems. IT infrastructure support in general is what I provide.

What is most valuable?

What I like most is the management, as it is very easy compared with other products.

What needs improvement?

Security is an issue. This is an area that needs to be improved.

There is security built-in, but most of the developers don't emphasize the security enough. When they are building the products or databases, they don't focus on the security of the database.

I have been providing services for this solution to my clients for five or six years.

We have had no issues with stability. It's one of the most stable products.

This solution is scalable. It is easy to expand.

In the five or six years that I have been handling SQL Servers, I have not had to contact technical support.

Their documentation is sufficient for troubleshooting and maintenance activity.

I am also using Sophos.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We have our in-house team of more than 10 engineers for maintenance.

Pricing is a bit on the higher side. It could be reduced.

What other advice do I have?

To others who are interested in using this solution, I would say go for it. It's a stable database that is easy to configure and maintain. I would suggest this solution when compared with other databases.

I would rate SQL Server an eight out of ten.

Mohammed Habeeb
System Administrator at ARTIc
Easy query creation, scalable, and reliable
  • "We have found the solution valuable because we are able to easily create a query, shrink, backup, and make new tables."
  • "If you are a new user then this solution could be difficult, they could improve by making the overall usage easier."

What is our primary use case?

We are using SQL Server for the backend of our SAP and are planning on moving to a cloud version soon.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has helped our organization by providing a backbone for our SAP. We would not be able to operate without it.

What is most valuable?

We have found the solution valuable because we are able to easily create a query, shrink, backup, and make new tables.

What needs improvement?

We are using an older version of SQL Server and the migration to a newer version could be made easier.

In an upcoming release, they could improve the ability to customize the solution.

I have been using SQL Server for approximately ten years.

We have not experienced any problems with the stability of this solution.

SQL Server is scalable.

We have not used the support from Microsoft. However, we did have freelance support a few times.

The installation is very easy. We did not have any challenges.

The price of the solution is very expensive. If I went with the cloud version of SQL a license would cost me approximately 11,000 Riyals per month.

We have a team that has evaluated other solutions before we chose SQL Server, such as Oracle.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. However, Oracle has a good reputation for quality that might be a better choice.

I rate SQL Server an eight out of ten.

Director at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Stable and able to process a lot of data, but it is expensive and integration needs improvement
  • "Stability is one of the most valuable features."
  • "Indexing, as well as integration, are areas of this product that need improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We use SQL Server to process a lot of data. We are using versions and 2015 and 2018.

What is most valuable?

We like the whole product and we use most of the features.

What needs improvement?

We have been using SQL Server for approximately five years.

It's a stable solution. Stability is one of the most valuable features.

It's somewhat scalable.

We don't have any issues with technical support.

We have used SQL Server from day one, along with OpenSQL. We used them both regularly.

We don't use Oracle often but we do have a few areas where it is used.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We have experience and did find it to be challenging.

We do multiple deployments which require three or four teams.

The cost is high and because it's an expensive product, we are in the process of moving towards open-source solutions.

We have evaluated MongoDB and are in the process of transforming ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

We will continue using SQL Server for some things but not everything. Most of our applications will be migrated to MongoDB and others.

I am not in the position to recommend SQL Server to anybody. Rather, I am more in the area of quality assurance.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
RogerMorera
Digital Transformation Architect at Comdata
Very stable, user-friendly, easy to troubleshoot, and easy to manage databases
  • "It is a very user-friendly solution. It is easy to manage the databases and troubleshoot any issue. It is a perfect solution for the volume or transactions that we need to manage."
  • "The way to make cursors and manage raw data in rows can be improved. Currently, the way to construct or build these cursors is very hard, and you can waste memory. You need a highly skilled person to make it more efficient. It can also have support for Cubes, which is the organization of data in different dimensions by using MDX languages."

What is our primary use case?

We developed a product that is using five or six databases supported on SQL Server.

What is most valuable?

It is a very user-friendly solution. It is easy to manage the databases and troubleshoot any issue. It is a perfect solution for the volume or transactions that we need to manage.

What needs improvement?

The way to make cursors and manage raw data in rows can be improved. Currently, the way to construct or build these cursors is very hard, and you can waste memory. You need a highly skilled person to make it more efficient.

It can also have support for Cubes, which is the organization of data in different dimensions by using MDX languages.

I have been using this solution for ten years.

It is very stable. I would rate it an eight out of ten in terms of stability.

It is scalable. You can get scalability by using the link servers, or you can create another instance in another server and make a link with that server. It is very quick.

We have around 50 users of this solution.

I have not interacted with them.

Its initial setup is easy. It takes a week. One of the things that you need to pay attention to is the collection.

What other advice do I have?

It is a nice product. You can use it as you want. If you don't know how to use it, you will waste it. Oracle is more powerful than this, but it is great for our needs.

I would rate SQL Server an eight out of ten.