We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Solutions Architect-AI & ML at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Good performance and it is easy to write queries
  • "The querying speed is fast."
  • "We would like to have an on-premises deployment option that has the same features, including scalability."

What is our primary use case?

I work as a data scientist and our primary use of Snowflake is for machine learning.

Recently, we were trying to extract data to determine the best configuration settings for one of our products.

What is most valuable?

As it is SQL-like, it is easy to write queries.

The querying speed is fast.

What needs improvement?

I have been working with Snowflake for six or seven months.

From what I have seen and heard, I think that Snowflake is pretty stable. I haven't faced any such problems, myself. I am not aware of the entirety of the lifecycle, but I haven't heard any complaints.

My impression is that this product is pretty scalable.

I have not been in contact with technical support, although my team has been and they are okay with it. My impression is that they are good.

The pricing for Snowflake is competitive.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering implementing Snowflake is that from a user's standpoint, it is a good product. Having a database in a cloud setup means that you don't have to scale and it has got many features already included.

For our use case, we found this Snowflake was good enough and did not need any enhancements. I recommend using it.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Anoop Anoop SLK
Enterprise architect at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
Ease to use, highly secure, and flexible
  • "I have found the solution's most valuable features to be storage, flexibility, ease of use, and security."
  • "There is a need for improvements in the documentation, this would allow more people to switch over to this solution."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for data warehouses and data modeling.

What is most valuable?

I have found the solution's most valuable features to be storage, flexibility, ease of use, and security.

What needs improvement?

There is a need for improvements in the documentation, this would allow more people to switch over to this solution. I would like to see in the future a wizard for data modelization automation.

We have been using this solution for approximately one year.

The solution is stable.

I have found the solution to be scalable. We have a few employees working on this solution in my organization.

The solution is a SaaS, it can be installed and managed by your provider. The installation setup is not difficult in this case. However, the configuration took us a couple of days.

We did the configuration of the solution ourselves. You need a data engineer and modeler for the movement of information into the solution.

There is a licensing for this solution and we purchased an enterprise license. Overall the solution is cost-effective.

We did evaluate some other solutions previously, such as Snap Analytics. All the different solution have their pros and cons. However, many are moving to this solution because it is in the cloud.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others and we are going to keep using the solution in the future.

I rate Snowflake an eight out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Snowflake. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,997 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Subhrajit Mitra
Sr. Technical Architect - Business Intelligence / Data Warehouse at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A stable and scalable solution with very good memory management and easy installation
  • "Snowflake is a database, and it is very good and useful. The most interesting part is that memory management is very good in Snowflake. For a business intelligence project, SQL Server is taking a lot of time for reporting services. There are a lot of calculations, and the reporting time is shown as two minutes, whereas Snowflake is taking just two seconds for the same reporting services."
  • "For the Snowflake database, there should be some third-party features for the ETL. It would also be good to be able to use some kind of controls to get the data either from another database or a flat file. Its price should be improved. It should be cheaper than Microsoft."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for business intelligence. We have three persons in the team for developing the end product.

What is most valuable?

Snowflake is a database, and it is very good and useful. The most interesting part is that memory management is very good in Snowflake. For a business intelligence project, SQL Server is taking a lot of time for reporting services. There are a lot of calculations, and the reporting time is shown as two minutes, whereas Snowflake is taking just two seconds for the same reporting services.

What needs improvement?

For the Snowflake database, there should be some third-party features for the ETL. It would also be good to be able to use some kind of controls to get the data either from another database or a flat file.

Its price should be improved. It should be cheaper than Microsoft.

I have been using this solution for eight to ten months.

It is stable.

It is scalable.

Their technical support is good. I always get a response from them when I send an email to their support team.

It is very easy to install. After the installation, you just have to input some information into the Snowflake database. It is very easy.

Its price should be improved. It should be cheaper than Microsoft.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. I would rate Snowflake an eight out of ten.

Vice President of Business Intelligence and Data Engineering at a comms service provider with 201-500 employees
Simple installation, well designed, and reasonably priced
  • "All the people who are working with Snowflake are extremely happy with it because it is designed from a data-warehousing point of view, not the other way around. You have a database and then you tweak it and then it becomes a data warehouse."
  • "There could be better ELT tools that are appropriate for Snowflake. We decided on Matillion and it seemed to be the only one. There need to be better choices, it would be great if Snowflake provided an ELT solution that people could use. Additionally, if there was a pure cloud-based ELT tool it would be useful."

What is our primary use case?

Snowflake is used in my organization for our data warehouse.

What is most valuable?

All the people who are working with Snowflake are extremely happy with it because it is designed from a data-warehousing point of view, not the other way around. You have a database and then you tweak it and then it becomes a data warehouse.

It has very nice features, such as snapshots, marketplace, and it is very easy to receive data-warehouse specifications.

What needs improvement?

There could be better ELT tools that are appropriate for Snowflake. We decided on Matillion and it seemed to be the only one. There need to be better choices, it would be great if Snowflake provided an ELT solution that people could use. Additionally, if there was a pure cloud-based ELT tool it would be useful.

I have been using Snowflake for approximately three years.

The installation is very easy. What is needed is a good extract, transform, and load (ELT) tool and we used Matillion.

The price of the solution is reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to those wanting to implement Snowflake is it is easy. However, the way to choose to implement your data in the warehouse matters. When we started to implement our data with Snowflake, we also switched to a metadata-driven approach, but the method depends on the people involved in the implementation. Overall, the implementation of Snowflake follows similar principles as any other data-warehouse implementation except many aspects are a lot easier and helpful.

I rate Snowflake an eight out of ten.

Data & Analytics Practitioner (BIDW, Big Data) at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Internally optimizes well, scales automatically, and offers great performance features
  • "I like the fact that we don't need a DBA. It automatically scales stuff."
  • "It's not that flexible when compared to Oracle."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the Matillion as the ETL tool and Snowflake has storage and there is no data warehouse component for storage.

What is most valuable?

I like the fact that we don't need a DBA. It automatically scales stuff.

Snowflake has better performance features; it automatically knows the difference between the data volume. It adjusts itself.

The performance is great. It internally optimizes well.

The product is stable.

The solution is scalable.

What needs improvement?

There are certain special features that are not available. For example, in Oracle, we have an SQL field. We have functions, procedures, packages, et cetera, which you can create similarly in Snowflake. However, it's not that flexible when compared to Oracle.

I've used the solution in the last year.

The product is stable and the performance is excellent. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's extremely reliable.

Snowflake scales well. If a company needs to expand, it can do so.

We also use Matillion. I find Snowflake a bit better.

What other advice do I have?

We're partners.

While I can't speak to the version number we are using, we're always on the latest version of the solution.

Snowflake is a good product. It is quite robust and scalable. However, a few of the functions are a little complex in Snowflake.

I would rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

Chief Data Architect - Europe at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Data sharing and data marketplace aspects are amazing, but it should support integration with some of the Azure and AWS native services
  • "We find the data sharing and data marketplace aspects of Snowflake absolutely amazing."
  • "There is a scope for improvement. They don't currently support integration with some of the Azure and AWS native services. It would be good if they can enhance their product to integrate with these services."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it as a data lake. We are using it as a data warehouse and a data mart. It is basically the entire BI and analytics platform.

I am using its latest version.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

There is a scope for improvement. They don't currently support integration with some of the Azure and AWS native services. It would be good if they can enhance their product to integrate with these services.

It would also be great if it can support stored procedures.

I have been working with it for four years.

It is stable.

It is scalable.

You need to be aware of the bloating costs. It is easy to use, but if you don't use it wisely, then your monthly bill can bloat a lot. You need to be a bit aware of its consumption cost.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a seven out of 10.

Senior Solutions Architect at NessPRO Italy
The syntax is advanced which reduces the time to write code

What is our primary use case?

We use it for presentations to clients.

What is most valuable?

The syntax is advanced which reduces the time to write code.

What needs improvement?

They should improve the reporting tools.  They could increase their bandwidth to connect to other ETL tools.

I have been using Snowflake for around six months.

The stability is good. There is no performance downtime.

If there is a need for scaling the setup is not so good.

Their support is good.

The initial setup was not complex. We needed a dedicated person…

What is our primary use case?

We use it for presentations to clients.

What is most valuable?

The syntax is advanced which reduces the time to write code.

What needs improvement?

They should improve the reporting tools.

They could increase their bandwidth to connect to other ETL tools.

I have been using Snowflake for around six months.

The stability is good. There is no performance downtime.

If there is a need for scaling the setup is not so good.

Their support is good.

The initial setup was not complex. We needed a dedicated person for the setup. Once we know the requirements, it's not that complex. It has straightforward parameters.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Snowflake an eight out of ten.

Data Architect and ETL Manager at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
A stable data warehousing solution that is simple to set up and has good support

What is our primary use case?

We use Snowflake for data warehousing.

What needs improvement?

We would like to see more security including more masking and more encryption at the database level.

We have been using Snowflake for three months.

Stability-wise, this product is good.

Snowflake is quite scalable. We have four people who are using it.

So far, technical support has been good.

The initial setup is very simple.

What other advice do I have?

What is our primary use case?

We use Snowflake for data warehousing.

What needs improvement?

We have been using Snowflake for three months.

Stability-wise, this product is good.

Snowflake is quite scalable. We have four people who are using it.

So far, technical support has been good.

The initial setup is very simple.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing Snowflake is to start small, then prove out the value and you can grow.