IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
Veerendra Karnam - PeerSpot reviewer
General Manager at itcinfotech
MSP
Great interface tool which is really useful for our computation and storage needs
  • "Can be leveraged with respect to better performance, auto tuning and competition."
  • "Pricing is an issue for many customers."

What is our primary use case?

We work with multiple customers who were asking for this and other similar solutions. We've since had several team members certified in Snowflake and we have a certified team working with that solution and keeping up to date with developments. I'm the general manager of the company and we are implementers.

What is most valuable?

Snowflake has its own features in comparison to other similar solutions like Exadata. This gives it huge competitive power. It has a very good interface tool with its own benefits and features which are really useful for our needs from a computation and storage perspective. I think this solution provides the best potential of any data warehousing product where they choose to use Snowflake instead of Oracle or DBII. The product can be leveraged with respect to better performance, auto tuning, competition and performance. From an architectural perspective, the solution has all the ingredients it requires.

What needs improvement?

We've come to realize that for many customers, pricing of this solution is an issue. Maintaining Snowflake clusters is challenging and cost intensive. Reporting could also be improved. Any data that moves out of Snowflake is being cached. If I have 400 to 500 end users, with 100 or 200 reports on a daily basis, all the reports will be cached. It's a matter of ensuring that costs can be optimized. The combination of Red Warescape plus Snowflake is a combination from the design and development perspective. But the combination from the reporting perspective to micro strategy on top of Snowflake could be a better feature, so there's a combination that has to be considered.

I've been using this solution for about 10 months.

Snowflake
July 2022
Learn what your peers think about Snowflake. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
620,600 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Our customers tell us that it is a stable solution.

We're working in 32 countries with enterprise size customers. We're still waiting to see what happens with that level of scalability and how the solution performs. If this product can be further fine-tuned or optimized in such a way that it becomes a very good fit for the Azure platform, that would be great.

They provide very good documentation on implementation design and development perspectives.

I think the initial setup is straightforward. Anyone who has worked on these types of solutions will pick it up quickly.

What other advice do I have?

It really depends on the nature of the implementation. If it's a small or medium sized company, we focus more on the pricing. If that can be brought down, I think Snowflake has a high potential that it can meet and can create a big name for itself in the big data cloud implementation platform. It has all the features. It already has all the complementary features to deal with the challenges. Those are built in and taken care of. It could be on Google cloud, or it could be on Azure or it could be on Amazon.

I'll rate this solution a nine out of 10.

Yaniv Meir - PeerSpot reviewer
BI & BIG DATA Director at Malam-Team
A good platform that can handle structured and semi-structured data and is very fast to implement and integrate
  • "It is a very good platform. It can handle structured and semi-structured data, and it can be used for your data warehouse or data lake. It can load and deal with any data that you have. It can extract data from an on-premises database or a website and make it available in the cloud. It has very fast implementation and integration as compared to other solutions. There is no need for the DBA to manage or do the day-to-day DBA tasks, which is one of the greatest things about it."
  • "In future releases, it can also support full unstructured data."

What is our primary use case?

We implement this solution for our customers. It is a cloud data warehouse. It is SaaS, and it can be run on Azure, AWS, or something else. We are using its latest version.

What is most valuable?

It is a very good platform. It can handle structured and semi-structured data, and it can be used for your data warehouse or data lake. It can load and deal with any data that you have. It can extract data from an on-premises database or a website and make it available in the cloud.

It has very fast implementation and integration as compared to other solutions. There is no need for the DBA to manage or do the day-to-day DBA tasks, which is one of the greatest things about it.

What needs improvement?

In future releases, it can also support full unstructured data.

We have been using this solution for a year.

It is stable.

It has very good scalability. Your data can grow in the platform. We have at least 50 users of this solution in an organization.

Their vendor is wonderful. I only have good words for them.

It is not too complex. Its implementation is easy even for those people who don't know Snowflake and are coming from other environments, such as Oracle or SQL Server.

It can be implemented very quickly. Our customers in Israel implemented it very quickly. It was much faster to implement than other platforms.

It is on a monthly basis. It is based on your usage. There are no additional costs from the point of the licensing fee.

We do give some kind of evaluation to the customers about how much it is going to be. You can decide in Snowflake the virtual machine that you are using for customers. There are several kinds of virtual machines that you can use. It is similar to the clothing sizes: small to extra large. If you need more power in the coming month, you can decide in advance and take a more powerful machine. You can just select it from the platform. You can also decide which machine you want to take for extracting data.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to check themselves how fast its implementation can be and how responsive it is. I would also recommend evaluating it before choosing other solutions, such as Microsoft Synapse or Amazon Redshift. You can test it yourself by using a test case. You can try to load the data on each platform, which can take a few weeks, but you will get to know the advantages of this solution. It is very different from other solutions.

I would rate Snowflake a nine out of ten.

Snowflake
July 2022
620,600 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Lead Data Analyst at a wholesaler/distributor with 1,001-5,000 employees
Feature-wise complete, good speed and performance, and easy to configure
  • "Its speed and performance were the most valuable. Easy configuration of Snowflake in any cloud was also a benefit."
  • "Its pricing or affordability is one of the big challenges. Pricing was the only thing that we didn't like about Snowflake. In terms of technical features, it is a complete solution."

What is our primary use case?

It was only a workshop with training to know the tool. We were just testing the technology, and it was just a demo of the tool. We wanted is to connect switches with IoT and use Snowflake as an engine to process all the big data. It was on top of AWS, but our infrastructure is on top of the Google Cloud Platform.

The intention was to see if we can process on the front-end that we have. We have a console that processes a big amount of data. Instead of using BigQuery, we used Snowflake to see if it is cheaper than using BigQuery, but Snowflake wasn't cost-effective. In the end, we didn't go for this solution. We just saw how it can be implemented, but we never bought anything.

How has it helped my organization?

We don't have a metric, but I would say that the processing time was a key benefit and value-add. It provided on-time processing.

What is most valuable?

Its speed and performance were the most valuable. Easy configuration of Snowflake in any cloud was also a benefit.

What needs improvement?

Its pricing or affordability is one of the big challenges. Pricing was the only thing that we didn't like about Snowflake. In terms of technical features, it is a complete solution.

Its scalability is great. We have data processing of one terabyte per month.

It was not complex. Our implementation strategy was to put Snowflake on top of Google Cloud solutions instead of BigQuery, but BigQuery was better in price. So, BigQuery won in this case instead of Snowflake.

We got the guidance directly from Snowflake. They have a technical expert for Latin America.

We used Snowflake to see if it is cheaper than using BigQuery. It was just to maintain the cost or the KPI regarding the cost of connectivity by users. Snowflake wasn't cheaper than BigQuery, and its affordability was the main issue.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to consider Snowflake when you have more customers. I wouldn't consider Snowflake until I have sufficient customers.

Whether we will consider Snowflake in the future depends on how BigQuery behaves. If the cost of BigQuery starts increasing and becomes similar to Snowflake, we're going to switch. If not, we're going to remain with BigQuery.

We might also consider other similar solutions, such as Yellowbrick, or switch to another cloud solution, such as Azure or AWS, depending on the price. Right now, we are paying about $2,000 per month. Our goal is to have the total cost of everything to be around $3,000 per month. It is more or less our goal for KPI kind of thing.

I would rate Snowflake an eight out of ten.

Private Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Consultant at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Handles multiple data flows, useful data enrichment, and beneficial reports

What is our primary use case?

We are also using Apigee we have various consumption patterns, data enrichment, and few shedding of the data, and everything goes into Snowflake. If it is multiple consumers, it goes into AMQ, Kafka, or multiple streams to consume. There are specific APIs that we offer after we send the data into the S3 bucket. We have Apigee APIs for consumption, and there are three to four different patterns. For example, we enrich the data, flatten it, and structure everything before the customers going to go into Snowflake.

There are going to be specific clients who need specific data from the overall data lake, those are going to be exposed as APIs. We have multiple customers needing the same data and for this, we move them into the streaming Kafka.

Apigee does not communicate directly with Snowflake. We have data registration, and everything is coming into something that is called the trusted bucket. The  Apigee interface API is written off the S3 bucket. The S3 bucket data is moved into the Delta Lake, and where the data are stored from the Delta Lake, it sends it to Snowflake. We have Apigee going to Delta Lake and S3 bucket, but  Apigee does not go to Snowflake, these are two areas where it goes to.

We have Kafka consuming directly off Delta Lake, and it sends data to Kafka through the AMQ. We have its setup, and we have interfaces that come directly to Snowflake to pull the data. It is then flattened and enriched, and it is used for many purposes, such as reporting.

What is most valuable?

Snowflake's most valuable features are data enrichment and flattening.

I have used Snowflake within the last 12 months.

The complexity of the initial setup of Snowflake depends on the use case. However, Snowflake itself, we don't set it up. The difficulty comes from the ingestion patterns, depending on what data I'm putting in, what kind of enrichment, and what additional value we have to add. However, it does tend to get complex because we have a lot of semi-structured data which we need to handle in Snowflake. There have been some challenges.

Snowflake has multiple implementations. For example, it can be implemented on Amazon AWS and on-premise. The data between these two cannot work together because they have different time zones. That's where the integration can be difficult because it is similar to them being on separate islands, they are completely separate. At some point, everything is going to go into the Amazon AWS Snowflake, but right now there are two islands that are completely different. We have to pull the data out and send it out again separately through a different pipeline.

In the future, this type of implementation should be easier. The integration could be better.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Snowflake an eight out of ten.

DBA at a venture capital & private equity firm with 11-50 employees
Good performance, straightforward to set up, and there is flexibility in pricing
  • "It's ultra-fast at handling queries, which is what we find very convenient."
  • "Snowflake has support for stored procedures, but it is not that powerful."

What is our primary use case?

Snowflake is used for very large data, such as in the case where tables might contain 600 to 700 million records.

What is most valuable?

It's ultra-fast at handling queries, which is what we find very convenient.

The pricing and licensing model is good.

What needs improvement?

Snowflake has support for stored procedures, but it is not that powerful. They have a lot of limitations. For example, it is really basic and there are limitations on subqueries.

The functions are not very good. Improving this would help to make sure data manipulation much easier. Right now, the inbuilt stored procedures and functions are all Java-based.

I Have been using SnowFlake for about five months.

We have approximately 10 people in the organization who are using Snowflake.

The technical support is very good.

We use Snowflake in conjunction with Matillion, which is another AWS-based ETL tool. It is being used as a bridge between our on-premises data and Snowflake.

The initial setup is very straightforward. You simply log in and start using it.

When it comes to deployment, you can choose between the AWS and Azure cloud. We chose AWS.

It is easy to create an instance and you can do it yourself if you have an AWS account. Snowflake will give you the connection ID and other relevant details.

The pricing is flexible in that, for example, if I run a query and it is slow then I can increase the processing power while it is still running, and they charge more for the time. The cost is on a per-query basis.

If you're running with a base processor, called a warehouse, the query might cost 1.0 cents. But, if my query is slow and I want to increase the speed, the next level adds a little more cost to that.

On average, with the number of queries that we run, we pay approximately $200 USD per month.

Recently, we have been doing a review of Redshift. However, we finally decided to go with Snowflake.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering Snowflake is that it is a really good product, especially if you are having issues with Big Data. It is not good for a typical OLTP environment, such as a small table.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Sanjay Bheemasenarao - PeerSpot reviewer
Director - Data Engineering expert at Sankir Technologies
Amazingly simple documentation, easy setup, and user-friendly
  • "It is a very easy-to-use solution. It is user-friendly, and its setup time is very less."
  • "They have a new console, but I couldn't figure out anything in the new console. So, if I shift to the old console, I can figure out where to create the database schema and other things, but I have no idea where to go in the new console. That's one thing they can improve. I don't know why they created a new console to confuse. The old, classic console is much better."

What is our primary use case?

I use this solution to create a proof of concept. I also create training for companies on Snowflake.

What is most valuable?

It is a very easy-to-use solution. It is user-friendly, and its setup time is very less.

What needs improvement?

They have a new console, but I couldn't figure out anything in the new console. So, if I shift to the old console, I can figure out where to create the database schema and other things, but I have no idea where to go in the new console. That's one thing they can improve. I don't know why they created a new console to confuse. The old, classic console is much better.

I started using Snowflake three months ago.

It is stable.

It is scalable.

It is so easy that I didn't have to look for technical support. Its documentation is amazingly simple.

I also use Databricks for proof of concept and training. I have used Databricks much longer than Snowflake. Both have their own pros and cons.

In terms of ease of use, UI, and setup time, Snowflake is good. I would rate Snowflake a nine out of 10 from these aspects. In terms of workload, Databricks has higher points. The underlying infrastructure is faster for Databricks, which is not the case with Snowflake. Snowflake is a cloud database. So, in terms of processing power, Databricks has an advantage over Snowflake. Databricks is more suitable for larger workloads, whereas, for a regular or typical data warehouse that you want to run on the cloud, Snowflake is more suitable.

Its setup was easy. You can create a connection and be up and running within half an hour.

I set it up myself.

I have not been billed yet, but it should be less. I'm still running the trial version, but it seems to be less than Databricks.

What other advice do I have?

You must try it out. It is a wonderful product. I would also recommend trying out other products, such as Yellowbrick, and doing a comparison. Redshift has also come up with some serverless options. BigQuery is also there. BigQuery is as easy as Snowflake. So, my recommendation or advice is to try out these things and then pick the one that suits you. I don't have any bias towards any of the products. I have an impartial opinion about all the cloud data warehousing products.

I would rate it a nine out of 10.

Manager IT BRM/FRM at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Supports different development languages, but needs better data sharing capabilities
  • "The adaptation to development languages is most valuable. Our developers can SQL code or something else. It has been convenient in that regard."
  • "The data sharing capabilities across business units within the organization should be better."

What is our primary use case?

We're ingesting third-party data analytics into a database held within Snowflake. We have pre-production and production environments with integration to staging and production schemas.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved the way our organization functions. However, we're still pretty elementary in our understanding of how it all works and the complete capabilities of Snowflake.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The data sharing capabilities across business units within the organization should be better. There could also be better integration.

I have been using Snowflake for a year and three months.

We have high confidence in it.

We have high confidence in its scalability. In terms of its users, for our solution, we only have a team of 10, but we have plans to increase its usage.

We haven't had any technical contact. All of it has been internal for our organization.

This is a net-new solution. So, it's brand new. We chose Snowflake for a variety of reasons, but mainly, we chose it for its scalability and data sharing capabilities.

I would rate it a three out of five in terms of complexity just because we didn't have any Snowflake developers that were available. The implementation took about three months.

We implemented it on our own.

We have not yet seen an ROI.

We're based on credits. So, we're paying four and a half dollars of credit. There are no additional costs. I would rate it a two out of five in terms of pricing.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise ensuring that you have the expertise with domain knowledge in Snowflake. The time from initial concept to deployment could be expedited extremely fast. Just from our internal learnings, we see that our time to production has increased month over month.

I would rate it a six out of ten just because we're unaware or naive to the full capabilities of the product. However, I would highly recommend it in terms of setting up data warehousing internally over an Azure solution, such as Synapse, or something else.

Private Cloud

Microsoft Azure
RAHULVERMASIR - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Architect at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
Great performance, good technical and community support, and resizable according to your needs
  • "Its performance is most valuable. As compared to SQL Server, we are able to see a significant improvement in performance with Snowflake."
  • "There are a lot of features that they need to come up with. A lot of functions are missing in Snowflake, so we have to find a workaround for those. For example, OUTER APPLY is a basic function in SQL Server, but it is not there in Snowflake. So, you have to write complex code for it."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for a migration from on-prem to cloud.

What is most valuable?

Its performance is most valuable. As compared to SQL Server, we are able to see a significant improvement in performance with Snowflake.

What needs improvement?

There are a lot of features that they need to come up with. A lot of functions are missing in Snowflake, so we have to find a workaround for those. For example, OUTER APPLY is a basic function in SQL Server, but it is not there in Snowflake. So, you have to write complex code for it.

It has been almost two years.

A great feature of Snowflake is that you can resize your warehouse according to your needs. Whenever we are expecting a huge amount of data, we can scale it up. It does that automatically as well, which is the best thing. We don't have to worry about that, and there is also no need for a database administrator. We do not need any DBA for this.

We have contacted them only for the basic setup. Most of the time, we were able to get the right solution at the right time. We got great support from them.

They're doing a pretty great job in providing all the information. They have a great community and great coverage, and there is a lot of information available over the internet.

Its setup was quite straightforward. I did not find any complexity with that.

I am not much aware of the price, but based on what I have analyzed so far, its cost is reasonable as compared to on-prem data warehouse solutions. It provides a great deal for production.

What other advice do I have?

One of the concerns related to Snowflake is about longevity in terms of how long can we use Snowflake. It is a big question in the market. It is a new baby in the market, and we don't know for how long will it trend. It has some big competitors. Firebolt claims to be the number one in this area. They have much better features than Snowflake. I would not say that Snowflake is the best and in the right position at this point in time. Snowflake is good for the next year, but Firebolt is going to bring it down.

I would rate Snowflake an eight out of 10.

Download our free Snowflake Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: July 2022