AVP at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Access role management is valuable feature; implementation is cumbersome, requires expertise
  • "Ability to create our own reports."
  • "Implementation is cumbersome and requires expertise."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for public reporting, creating a dashboard for our users so they can create their own reports. If they're using Tableau and other things, we give them a dashboard to use. It provides a structure or enterprise solution or framework, which gives you a free hand to create your own reports. We have some form of partnership with Oracle and I'm an ABB.

What is most valuable?

The ability for a user to create their own reports is one of the valuable features. The solution also allows you to manage your access roles, like permissions, directly from the port. There is also a separate enterprise manager where groups and other roles can be created and given access. Finally, if we have certain scripts, we can add chipping into that scheduling function as well as a dashboard and the like. In the newer version, there's a visual analyzer which is more Tableau driven and gives you a free hand. From a user perspective, it's an advantage and will provide us with an additional asset if we do upgrade.

What needs improvement?

Implementation is a little cumbersome and requires expertise. From the support perspective, it seems that they are a level behind. Another, thing is if you're working in the 12.2.1.3 version, fields don't come with proper venues and proper testing is lacking. For an additional feature, I'd like to see data science and functions added.

I've been using this solution for five years.

Oracle OBIEE
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about Oracle OBIEE. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
655,774 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Most of the time the solution is stable but it depends on who is doing the set up configuration. A senior person will know how much memory is required, without that there might be problems. So lots of configuration files need to be optimized according to the usage. There may also be other parameters that need to be set up and if you are aware of this then the system will be stable.

This is a scalable solution.

Customer service is sometimes very good. At other times it's very, very dense and they ask for irrelevant information. It could definitely be improved.

The initial setup was quite complex and I didn't do it in one go because when we deployed something, there were some problems that needed sorting out and that took around five to six hours. Deployment probably took close to six hours. The deployment was carried out internally. In my department we have over 300 users and the solution is used on a daily basis.

This is an expensive solution and I think people tend to stop using this product as a result. Cost is a major factor in companies choosing other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

It's important to have an understanding of your requirements because if people are looking for visualization and realization, this is a very good solution that can work with thousands of users generally and can work on billions and billions of records.

I rate this solution a seven out of 10.

General Manager Information Technology at a engineering company with 201-500 employees
Useful for connectivity with Oracle E-Business Suite, reasonable price, very stable, and good support
  • "The primary reason for using OBIEE is connectivity with Oracle E-Business Suite. It makes it easy to connect with our Oracle E-Business Suite. There are the standard dashboards available, which we sometimes use, and now we are looking for customized dashboards."
  • "In the on-premises version, the feature for connecting and selecting the data between the databases looks a bit cumbersome, but I am not sure. The person who is using it takes a lot of time to design a data warehouse. When I ask him why is it taking this long, I get a response that this is something that he has to design, and there are different tools that are available. He has to write the ETL and design the warehouse according to the customer's requirement, which takes a lot of time. Its visualization should be enhanced, and there should be a feature where you can easily create your custom data warehouse."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for analysis purposes for different areas, such as sales, production. We are also using it for the financial data and quality module. We have customer complaint dashboards and all sorts of things.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps our senior management in reviewing the performance of sales, production, and customer complaints and taking decisions accordingly. These are the areas for which we have designed custom warehouses. All the data is available on a daily basis. They can see the performance on a daily basis. They can look at the performance of the Sales site, pending dispatches, and inventory status. All these things are available in custom dashboards, which helps them in making decisions easily.

What is most valuable?

The primary reason for using OBIEE is connectivity with Oracle E-Business Suite. It makes it easy to connect with our Oracle E-Business Suite. There are the standard dashboards available, which we sometimes use, and now we are looking for customized dashboards.

What needs improvement?

In the on-premises version, the feature for connecting and selecting the data between the databases looks a bit cumbersome, but I am not sure. The person who is using it takes a lot of time to design a data warehouse. When I ask him why is it taking this long, I get a response that this is something that he has to design, and there are different tools that are available. He has to write the ETL and design the warehouse according to the customer's requirement, which takes a lot of time.

Its visualization should be enhanced, and there should be a feature where you can easily create your custom data warehouse.

I have been using this solution for approximately seven years.

It is very stable. It is much stronger than any other solution that I've seen till now. I have heard that Microsoft's solution goes down, but Oracle is very stable.

Scalability is available. It depends on how you want to scale. Right now, we want to define our custom databases and custom warehouse. Therefore, we are creating customer data warehouses, and accordingly, we are designing our dashboards in a custom application. You can also connect it with any third-party software.

They are very good. We are on support right now, and they are providing support whenever we need it. They provide prompt support through their portal.

It is straightforward. Basically, if you look at the technical part of it, it is very simple. You can just follow a step-by-step process, and you can easily finish it.

It is reasonable, but it depends on how you're going to use it. There are no costs in addition to the standard licensing fees.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Oracle OBIEE an eight out of ten.

Oracle OBIEE
November 2022
655,774 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Obiee HR Technologies Specialist at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
Reliable, but rigidity and speed could be improved
  • "It doesn't have many frills and is definitely older technology, but it is undeniably a workhorse."
  • "Expanding beyond pure data reporting and into analytics, or expanding data science, would be areas for improvement."

What is our primary use case?

Oracle OBIEE is the company's primary workhorse for financial and HR reporting. It is used globally for the company. Everyone uses it for those purposes. The cloud version is also used for account acquisition.

What is most valuable?

It serves its purpose. It doesn't have many frills and is definitely older technology, but it is undeniably a workhorse.

What needs improvement?

Rigidity and speed are areas that could be improved. Everything has to move quickly in today's world, especially in the data world. Everyone wants it right now.

Having a system is great, and when you code it correctly, it can get the job done. However, a modern solution takes a long time; it moves much slower than some other things. You have products such as Tableau, and there are other data science tools out there churning through just as much data. Obviously, that element is not intended to be a data science tool in and of itself. It's more of a reporting tool than anything else. Expanding beyond pure data reporting and into analytics, or expanding data science, would be areas for improvement.

I have been working with Oracle OBIEE for seven years.

We keep it fairly up to date. We would be using the most recent version or perhaps one back.

We have an on-premises system as well as a cloud system in our environment.

If it's coded correctly, it can be very reliable.

Oracle OBIEE is very stable, it is very dependable.

Oracle OBIEE is scalable, we are using it on a global level.

Given the size and scope of how we use it, every change requires significant effort, some of which is internal. It is managed by our IT department. To make large-scale changes and integrate new systems, I believe a small army is required. The heavy lifting is done once they're all set up, and once they're in there and running, the actual maintenance and minor tweaks are fairly simple. This requires a much smaller skeleton crew.

I was not a part of the initial setup.

What other advice do I have?

I believe it will be about how well the tool they choose fits their company, their company culture, and how scalable it is.  Oracle OBIEE is fantastic, but it is intended to be used in the enterprise. It is meant to be a large-scale workhorse. As a result, make sure it's the right tool for your business.

In comparison to other things we have out there in the grand scheme of things, I would say six or seven. I would rate Oracle OBIEE a seven out of ten.

Director at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Poor performance and difficult installation, but the price is reasonable
  • "They were reasonable in terms of price."
  • "The performance and the complex setup are the main reason for switching to Qlik Sense."

What needs improvement?

We were disappointed with Oracle OBIEE, because of the performance.

In terms of an analytical tool, it is quite outdated. End-users want to receive results quickly and to be able to view millions of rows of data in a matter of seconds. OBIEE was unable of doing so because of the way it was modeled and developed. It requires it to go to the database, run the SQL, and then fetch the result for each query. That procedure took a long time to complete.

There are a variety of different in-memory tools available; the data is loaded into the server's RAM or memory, and all requests, including data requests, are served from the RAM, making it extremely fast.

If you look at Qlik Sense or Tableau, or perhaps some other products on the market, such as Power BI, you'll notice that they have all of the data in RAM.

We had been using Oracle OBIEE for around eight years when we decided to stop using it six months ago. We switched to Qlik Sense.

Performance was the primary reason for switching from OBIEE to Qlik Sense.

We have never had any contact with technical support.

Oracle has a number of products that we use. We are a large supporter of Oracle.

OBIEE's overall setup is really complex because it relies on Oracle Forms, the Oracle Fusion technology, which requires a middleware.

We require both the front-end and the back-end. It was really difficult to manage the entire setup. Dealing with OBIEE was tough in some circumstances when we had to make infrastructure-related modifications.

The entire setup is extremely complex, and troubleshooting any errors is incredibly difficult due to the large number of logs generated by the WebLogic Server.

Setup is really difficult, which is an area where they are lacking.

If you only consider Tableau, Qlik Sense, or Power BI, where you will simply download the software, all you have to do is apply it if you have an enterprise license. It's incredibly simple to install and configure these products. It's very easy compared to OBIEE.

They were reasonable in terms of price. I wouldn't say they were expensive. Pricing was adequate. It's comparable to the current technology we're using, Qlik Sense.

We never had any issues with the pricing of Oracle OBIEE.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Oracle OBIEE a five out of ten.

Senior Software Developer at Sopra
Good data visualization and reporting features; lacks sufficient direct reporting
  • "Provides good data visualization features, and provides a lot of visualization reports from various data sources."
  • "Managing the OB applications requires a high level of experience, and makes the solution quite heavy."

What is our primary use case?

We are a service-based company and we build reports for the PeopleSoft HRMS system that analyze workforce management or higher labor management. We have a partnership with Oracle and I'm a senior software developer.

What is most valuable?

The solution has good data visualization features and provides a lot of visualization reports from various data sources. We can also merge the data from different sources. You can get a lot of reporting through the application and I find it to be a good enterprise solution.

What needs improvement?

Managing the OB applications requires a high level of experience, and in that sense, the solution is quite heavy. Although the solution offers some direct reporting, I'd like to see something on the database. The way things are now you need to go through an intermediate layer rather than connecting directly to the database which would enable you to immediately start building a report.

I've been using this solution for seven years.

The solution is quite stable and we're able to manage a lot of data.

The scalability is good. In terms of performance and functionality, we can scale it out. We currently have over 3,000 users. We have three or four people dealing with maintenance on a daily basis.

We don't have too many problems with technical support but at times there are delays getting a response from Oracle. Initially, they released good documentation but it's not so good anymore and it's often difficult to find what you're looking for. There is definitely scope for improvement.

The initial setup is not completely straightforward but it's not overly complex either. It requires a lot of planning and a lot of effort to implement but it's okay.

I'm aware of the other options in this market category. OBIEE is an enterprise solution whereas other products in this category are not robust enough at that level. There are other good products out there but they are not enterprise solutions.

What other advice do I have?

It's important to understand your source system and then fully utilize all the features because I've worked on projects where we have not utilized many of the powerful features that the product offers. We generally use no more than a maximum of 10% of the features.

I rate this solution seven out of 10.

Other
Process System Engineer at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
User-friendly with great new additional features; lacks a good security management system
  • "There are some great new features in the latest version."
  • "It needs a better security management system."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for pulling data analytics from our source systems through the enterprise data warehouse provided by Oracle. We also use it to provide dashboard solutions for analytics and operations for the businesses from various departments; operational, finance, marketing, sales, legal, everyone. We are partners with Oracle.

What is most valuable?

This solution is very easy for people who are building ad-hoc things. It's an enterprise solution so it can be deployed for a lot of users. There are some great new features that come with the 12c like data visualization, desktop BI Publisher, automation and interactive dashboards. The product has good features.

What needs improvement?

This solution needs a better security management system and I think there is room for improvement in terms of giving access to people in a more effective way. I'd like to see additional features and performance can be improved too.

I've been using this solution for 10 years.

There are no issues with day-to-day activities so it's pretty stable. The new versions have improved and even with a lot of people logging in, it's solid.

The solution is made for enterprise companies and is scalable.

When we have issues that need Oracle support we reach out to them. The response is sometimes very slow but better at other times. It's a mixed bag even though we have dedicated support. We recently did an upgrade and that went smoothly.

What other advice do I have?

OBIEE is definitely for enterprise customers. If you have a big user base of say 500,000, then this is the kind of solution you'd want to have. I would definitely advise people to go for the latest version rather than install an old version and then try to do an out-of-the-place upgrade.

There's room for improvement so I rate OBIEE seven out of 10.

Ngole Ngole - PeerSpot reviewer
Oracle Techno Sales consultant at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
The data analyzer allows you to visualize your data on the fly
    • "Warehouse and business intelligence are two different things, but OBIEE also has some warehouse features in it. I would like to see some of those capabilities improved."

What is our primary use case?

I'm mostly using OBIEE in the context of regulation by the national central bank. The regulatory authority floats many reports required daily, monthly, weekly, and yearly. So, for example, there'll be a stream of reports at the end of the year, and the banking regulator requires banks to comply. It's challenging for banks to develop these reports constantly, so we develop these regulatory or statutory reports for the regulatory authority and put them in the BI.

What is most valuable?

I like the data analyzer introduced in OBIEE version 10. Previously, there was no data analytics tool, but the data analyzer allows you to visualize your data on the fly. I also like the voice recognition tool. With voice recognition, the data visualization tool will flip the charts and diagrams left, right, center.

What needs improvement?

I've been using OBIEE for five or six years.

Oracle products are all stable. We deployed Oracle OBIEE version 11 at the national revenue authority four years ago, and since then we've run more than 400 reports on an Oracle X5 server. It still runs smoothly with no issues.

The customer wanted Valtix, an internet BI system, but couldn't afford it. We advised him to go with OBIEE and the X5-4. I'm also fully certified in BGIF, and part of my job in that deployment was to deploy BGIF was challenging because it's an arm of the government. Still, we finally got some of the data into BGIF that wasn't mission-critical for the government. The rest of the data sat inside OBIEE.

What other advice do I have?

I rate OBIEE 12 out of 10. For me, OBIEE is king.

Swati-Singh - PeerSpot reviewer
    Assistant consultant at Tata Consultancy
    Reliable, secure, and good support

What is our primary use case?

We are using Oracle OBIEE for creating interactive dashboards and reports.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Oracle OBIEE is the security of the solution.

What needs improvement?

Oracle OBIEE can improve the ease of use. It is a lot to learn and it could be made easier.

I have been using Oracle OBIEE for approximately five years.

Oracle OBIEE is a stable enough solution.

Throughout the versions we have used of Oracle OBIEE, they have been scalable.

We have more than 20 people using the solution. We have plans to increase usage in the future.

The support is good from Oracle OBIEE.

I rate the support from Oracle OBIEE a four out of five.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

I have previously used Microsoft Power BI. I have used different solutions due to the company's requirements I worked.

The initial setup of Oracle OBIEE is straightforward. Once it is deployed then we can add other modules. The installation process took approximately two hours.

The implementation of Oracle OBIEE can be done in-house. If the company implementing the solution is not experienced then a consultant can be used.

We have multiple technical staff working on Oracle OBIEE. However, the exact number is based on the needs of the project. In our previous project, we had three to four technical staff that was needed; in the current project, we have more than 20.

The licensing cost is based on the number of users using it.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend the solution to others.

I rate Oracle OBIEE a nine out of ten.