We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Akram Omer
IT Manager at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Overall useful features, highly stable for production, and effective high-density volume services

What is our primary use case?

I use NetApp FAS Series for servers. I have a lot of virtual servers connected through it using a Brocade switch.

What is most valuable?

I have found all the features useful in NetApp FAS Series.

I have been using NetApp FAS Series for approximately eight years.

The solution is highly stable. NetApp FAS Series is stable in production storage and for the high-density volume services.

NetApp FAS Series is scalable. We have approximately 500 users that use this solution in my organization. We use NetApp FAS Series extensively in our organization and plan to upgrade it for SSD to be faster. We…

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

I have found all the features useful in NetApp FAS Series.

I have been using NetApp FAS Series for approximately eight years.

The solution is highly stable.

NetApp FAS Series is scalable.

We have approximately 500 users that use this solution in my organization.

We use NetApp FAS Series extensively in our organization and plan to upgrade it for SSD to be faster. We are running our production server on this storage and we use it every second of the day.

We are not able to connect to the support of NetApp from Sudan. We have to go through many agents for support, which makes it difficult.

We previously used NAS storage and it was not stable.

NetApp FAS Series is very expensive for us here in Sudan because we cannot purchase it from the vendor directly.

We have three or four people that do maintenance and support of NetApp FAS Series.

It is a one-time license charge for NetApp FAS Series to run and we pay annually for upgrades and support.

What other advice do I have?

I rate NetApp FAS Series a ten out of ten.

ICT-I Manager at KTDA
Easy to install and the backup features are powerful
  • "The most important features are SnapVault, Snapshots, and SnapMirror."
  • "Technical support needs to be improved, as there are no longer partners in our country."

What is our primary use case?

We used NetApp FAS for both block and file sharing but we have now switched to another product by HP.

What is most valuable?

The most important features are SnapVault, Snapshots, and SnapMirror.

What needs improvement?

Netapp closed their local offices in our country leading to no technical and sales support representation.

We've had issues with scalability because the product that we were using went end-of-life many years ago, and we were not able to expand because there were no spares available.

The initial setup is straightforward and the deployment took just a few days.

We had in-house experience for implementation and deployment.

Before choosing this product originally, we evaluated others and were ultimately impressed by the Snapshots, ShapVault, and SnapRestore features. These were what we really wanted, and at the time, we could not find another product that had similar capabilities.

We had been using NetApp for quite some time, but the equipment was quite old and we wanted a new system. Between NetApp and HP, we chose HP because the NetApp support is not very good. They used to have partners in the country, but they have left.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anyone who is considering NetApp FAS is that it is a good product and our only real complaint is the lack of technical support. If they live in a country where technical support is available then I recommend it.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about NetApp, Dell EMC, Hewlett Packard Enterprise and others in Deduplication Software. Updated: January 2022.
564,143 professionals have used our research since 2012.
IT Manager at a maritime company with 51-200 employees
Excellent and proactive support, reliable, easy to set up, and you can scale as many as you have
  • "The most valuable features are the NAS features and NetApp's excellent support."
  • "There is no NetApp infrastructure set up here in Greece."

What is our primary use case?

We are mainly using this solution for file sharing, virtualization, and database storage.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the NAS features and NetApp's excellent support.

It's user-friendly, and I am happy with the dashboard, customization, and security.

What needs improvement?

For the most part, we don't have any problems. There is no NetApp infrastructure set up here in Greece. We don't have a representative with a technical department and someone who will help you in order to understand the product better.

I have been using this solution for seven years.

It's very stable.

It's scalable. You can scale as much as you can have.

We have approximately 500 end-users in our organization.

We have contacted technical support either by phone or via email, and sometimes they have contacted me first because they have noticed something in their systems.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We used an integrator to help us with the deployment.

I don't recall the price, but in general, pricing can always be better.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution to others who are interested in using it.

I would rate NetApp AFF (All Flash FAS) an eight out of ten.

Senior IT Consultant at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Does the job and is stable
  • "I like it. When it is up and running, it does the job."
  • "You always need a huge amount of hardware to fulfill a given setup. Its deployment can be complex, especially if you go MetroCluster."

What is most valuable?

I like it. When it is up and running, it does the job.

What needs improvement?

You always need a huge amount of hardware to fulfill a given setup. Its deployment can be complex, especially if you go MetroCluster.

I started working with them about 20 or 21 years ago. So, it has been quite some time.

It is stable.

It is a bit complex, but it also depends on the setup. If you have got clustered systems of a multisite, it becomes complicated. It also depends on how familiar you are with the system. The better you know a system, the easier it is to deal with it. So, if you are already familiar with these kinds of systems, it is easy to deal with it.

It definitely depends on the contract. It depends on where you buy it from, which features are you going to use, and what is your personal benefit of the features that you plan to use for the system.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to make use of most of the features that the system is going to provide because then the price is definitely reasonable. If you're just looking for mass storage without any of the features that are possible with the system, then it is too expensive.

I would give it an eight out of 10.

Head of Professional Service Department with 11-50 employees
Reseller
It can be used both SAN and NAS at the same time, is stable and scalable
  • "Can use both SAN and NAS at the same time."
  • "For long term partnership in Myanmar, the local warehouse should be built in Myanmar that's something I'd like to see. We have some issues with supply so there is sometimes a delay in getting the hardware."

What is our primary use case?

Our company is based in Myanmar. I'm formerly a system engineer and we are a NetApp service provider company as well.

What is most valuable?

This is a good product. I like that the NetApp FAS Series can use both SAN and NAS at the same time, and that's what most customers are looking for. Especially, the features like Metro Cluster and Snap mirror are also really good.

What needs improvement?

For long term partnership in Myanmar, The local warehouse should be built in Myanmar that's something I'd like to see. We have some issues with supply so there is sometimes a delay in getting the hardware.

I've been using this solution for over three years.

The product is stable.

The product is scalable.

We have good support.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The initial setup is relatively easy but we have a lot of experience with it.

Licensing costs are reasonable for our customers. We're generally dealing with enterprise-size organizations - mainly the banking and government sectors.

What other advice do I have?

I rate the solution eight out of 10.

HPC & Cloud systems administrator at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
It's highly reliable, even under a heavy load, and it's easy to manage
  • "NetApp FAS is highly stable and reliable, especially under a heavy load. That is what I like most about the NetApp."
  • "I would like to see NetApp add incident support."

What is our primary use case?

We are using NetApp FAS for some encrypted projects and to provide home direction for our users.

What is most valuable?

NetApp FAS is highly stable and reliable, especially under a heavy load. That is what I like most about the NetApp.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see NetApp add incident support.

I've been using NetApp SAS for three or four years.

If we needed to scale beyond what we have now, we could do it. I would say NetApp's scalability is sufficient for our needs. We have hundreds of users accessing the file system on a daily basis.

NetApp support is helpful, and their technicians are knowledgeable. They usually respond fast. I would rate NetApp support eight out of 10.

We previously used a Dell product. I think the two solutions are very similar. I also worked with Visionet, but that is apples and oranges. I wouldn't compare NetApp FAS with Visionet because these are very different site systems—parallel site systems.

What other advice do I have?

I rate NetApp FAS Series eight out of 10. I recommend NetApp FAS because it's reliable and easy to manage. NetApp support is helpful. I encourage anyone to choose NetApp.

Caesar Malenga
Senior Systems Analyst - Infrastructure at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Scalable and reliable, but support could improve

What is our primary use case?

I am using NetApp FAS Series for file backups.

What needs improvement?

We're supposed to have used NetApp FAS Series for replication, but then one of the nodes failed, and then it's taken us some time to bring it up. The management console and disc partitioning could improve.

I have used NetApp FAS Series within the past 12 months.

The solution is stable. I would rate the stability of the NetApp FAS Series an eight out of ten.

The solution is scalable. We have not done much scaling but we know it can.

The support for NetApp FAS Series has not been…

What is our primary use case?

I am using NetApp FAS Series for file backups.

What needs improvement?

The management console and disc partitioning could improve.

I have used NetApp FAS Series within the past 12 months.

The solution is stable.

I would rate the stability of the NetApp FAS Series an eight out of ten.

The solution is scalable. We have not done much scaling but we know it can.

The support for NetApp FAS Series has not been great.

The whole installation wasn't done right from the start. I think that's where the problem started.

We are on a perpetual license.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend

I rate NetApp FAS Series a seven out of ten.

ErhanEvgin
Co-founder at Forest Technology
Easy monitoring, very stable, and easily scalable

What is most valuable?

You can use different protocols at the same time. Monitoring is also very easy in NetApp FAS Series. There is a free tool for monitoring.

What needs improvement?

Its licensing cost can be improved.

It is very stable. We have a lot of customers in Turkey, and we haven't got any major issues or complaints from our customers.

It is easily scalable. You can easily scale up and use old and new products together. NetApp products are very scalable.

Their technical support is very good. They work very tightly with us.

The initial setup is very easy. It can be set up in…

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Its licensing cost can be improved.

Their technical support is very good. They work very tightly with us.

The initial setup is very easy. It can be set up in five to ten minutes. We have a lot of technical knowledge of this product.

It is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. I would rate NetApp FAS Series a ten out of ten.

Private Cloud