Fabrizio Fioravanti - PeerSpot reviewer
Engineer at a educational organization with 5,001-10,000 employees
Pre-installed, free, and easy to use, but the free version doesn't provide centralized management, EDR, and behavioral analysis
  • "It is easy to use because it is already pre-installed in Windows 10. We don't have to do anything to configure it. You can also configure the firewall by using a group policy so that it can be easily adopted in an environment."
  • "Microsoft Defender in the basic form is not very useful for managing the security environment. The free version is not capable of covering the needs of centralized management, EDR, and behavioral analysis. If you don't have the commercial version, you can't have centralized management and set up the policies and other things. Each client is a standalone installation, which is not useful for security in an enterprise model."

What is our primary use case?

We were using the basic endpoint from Sophos without Intercept X and the EDR model, and currently, we are in the selection process of a new platform that has EDR embedded. We are using Microsoft Defender Antivirus for the time being till we get the new platform.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to use because it is already pre-installed in Windows 10. We don't have to do anything to configure it. You can also configure the firewall by using a group policy so that it can be easily adopted in an environment.

What needs improvement?

Microsoft Defender in the basic form is not very useful for managing the security environment. The free version is not capable of covering the needs of centralized management, EDR, and behavioral analysis. If you don't have the commercial version, you can't have centralized management and set up the policies and other things. Each client is a standalone installation, which is not useful for security in an enterprise model.

I have been using this solution for six months.

Microsoft Defender for Endpoint
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Defender for Endpoint. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
656,474 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Currently, we have about 2,000 users.

I didn't use support for this solution.

It was already pre-installed in Windows 10.

It is free. It is included in Windows 10.

We are using Microsoft Defender only for the time being. We will switch to another endpoint platform that can offer us more advanced features, centralized management, and EDR. We have not chosen the solution at the moment, but we might go for Bitdefender. It is one of the products that we have evaluated, and it can be suitable for our environment. It has some use cases that are really in the same line as our requirements.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution only for small home environments. It is not for enterprise environments unless you buy the commercial version.

I would rate Microsoft Defender Antivirus a seven out of ten.

VMware and Windows Server Team Lead with 1,001-5,000 employees
A simple solution with good integration, price, stability, scalability, and support
  • "Its simplicity is the most valuable. It also has very good integration. We like it."
  • "Its interface can be improved a little bit. We would like to have some sort of centralization. It should have something like a central server that is managing all the other clients. There are solutions from Kaspersky or ESET NOD32 that are really doing this kind of thing currently. We would like to see something similar from Microsoft."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Microsoft Windows Defender for Windows services because it is the default antivirus and protection solution with Windows Server 2016 and 2019. We are using it for Windows servers, file servers, and active directory.

What is most valuable?

Its simplicity is the most valuable. It also has very good integration. We like it.

What needs improvement?

Its interface can be improved a little bit. We would like to have some sort of centralization. It should have something like a central server that is managing all the other clients. There are solutions from Kaspersky or ESET NOD32 that are really doing this kind of thing currently. We would like to see something similar from Microsoft.

We have been using this solution for more than two years.

It is very stable. It is highly recommended.

It has good scalability. We are happy with it and plan to increase its usage. We currently have around 20 users.

Technical support is good. We like Microsoft, and they provide good technical support.

It is straightforward.

We implemented it by ourselves.

Currently, for us, Windows Defender is free with the purchase of Windows Server. Pricing is an important point for us when we are looking at the competitors of this solution. If we choose to go with another vendor, we will have to pay some license fees.

What other advice do I have?

We are considering moving to another solution, so we are trying to inform ourselves about the other products in the market that will fit our budget and needs. We are trying to see what the competitors offer in the server market. We are looking into ESET NOD32 because we know the product from back in the day.

I would recommend this solution. It is free, and it is doing its job for Microsoft Windows Server. It is a good product. I would rate Microsoft Defender for Endpoint a nine out of ten.

Microsoft Defender for Endpoint
November 2022
656,474 professionals have used our research since 2012.
IT Engineer at a real estate/law firm with 201-500 employees
Effortless updating, full operating system integration, and secure
  • "Microsoft Defender for Endpoint is beneficial because we are using Microsoft Windows and all the core solutions are made by Microsoft, such as the authentic platform, operating system, and antivirus protection. It is a heterogeneous environment. We had to use third-party solutions before and update everything separately. For example, the policy for antivirus. With Microsoft Defender for Endpoint, when Microsoft Windows receives updates it will update with it. This is one main advantage of this solution."
  • "Microsoft Defender for Endpoint can improve by making the reporting faster. It takes some time to reflect back to the administration portal of what has been updated. For example, out of 100 Computers, approximately 90 computers received updates, but when you check the administration portal over one or two days, you will only see 75, even though 90 were updated."

What is our primary use case?

Microsoft Defender for Endpoint can be used for protecting personal information and file in my organization.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has saved us time by not having to install separate third-party antivirus solutions.

What is most valuable?

Microsoft Defender for Endpoint is beneficial because we are using Microsoft Windows and all the core solutions are made by Microsoft, such as the authentic platform, operating system, and antivirus protection. It is a heterogeneous environment. We had to use third-party solutions before and update everything separately. For example, the policy for antivirus. With Microsoft Defender for Endpoint, when Microsoft Windows receives updates it will update with it. This is one main advantage of this solution.

What needs improvement?

Microsoft Defender for Endpoint can improve by making the reporting faster. It takes some time to reflect back to the administration portal of what has been updated. For example, out of 100 Computers, approximately 90 computers received updates, but when you check the administration portal over one or two days, you will only see 75, even though 90 were updated.

I have been using Microsoft Defender for Endpoint for approximately one year.

The solution is stable.

Microsoft Defender for Endpoint has been scalable.

We have more than 200 users using this solution in my organization.

Previously we used McAfee and Symantec Endpoint. Every five years we change the solution. However, this time we changed to Microsoft Defender for Endpoint because we wanted a unified platform.

When you install Microsoft Windows 10, Microsoft Defender for Endpoint comes with it. There is no installation of the solution other than installing Windows 10. It saves time because you do not have to use any new kind of policy or deployment.

We have a team of three that do the management of the solution.

The solution comes free with Microsoft Windows 10.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Microsoft Defender for Endpoint a ten out of ten.

Administrator at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Free antivirus solution with basic protection but has limited features
  • "It's effective against most types of infection, and the firewall is perfect for protection."
  • "The solution could be more friendly for end-users, with different type of scans or scheduled scans for it."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is as an end-user solution. It helps protect the computer against viruses and malware. It has a firewall option and offers basic protection for an end-user and a home user. If you are a home user, it's a very good solution for you.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it is easy to use; the solution is already there when you load Windows. It's effective against most types of infection, and the firewall is perfect for protection.

What needs improvement?

One area where the product could be improved is that I don't think it can be used all by itself, if you are working with a business. If you are using the laptop as a business, you need to add an extra protection with this solution.

The solution could be more friendly for end-users, with different type of scans or scheduled scans for it. The antivirus database update could be a cloud protection instead of waiting for the database to be updated every now and then.

I have been using the solution since it launched, around 2014.

The solution is stable and working fine for me. I haven't faced any problem with it.

The solution is scalable.

I haven't had a crash or problem with Microsoft Defender, so I haven't needed to contact the support.

The solution is a Windows feature, so it's already there when I launch the operating system.

The solution is free with Windows.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate the solution a seven out of ten. As it's a free solution, it doesn't have a lot of features like paid versions. If you are a home user or don't have a paid version of any other antivirus, Defender will be fine for you.

Private Cloud
User at Systex Software
Reseller
It comes preloaded with Windows 10. It does not have a central console.
  • "Microsoft Defender can block some viruses or malware. So, it can protect my files. It can save files on Office 365 OneDrive. I use encryption for some files, then I can recover them from OneDrive."
  • "The central console needs improvement. Both McAfee and Symantec antivirus have dashboards. These integrate with a server and work on my antivirus or some other product. However, with Microsoft Defender, you use Microsoft Group Policy Object. Defender does not provide a central console. Therefore, if you implement Defender, then maybe use another tool for the central view."

What is our primary use case?

I am a Taiwan sole company reseller. We sell commercial software to enterprise customers.

I use the Microsoft Defender for scanning the antivirus or some hacker tools.

How has it helped my organization?

We sell the Microsoft solution for enterprise customers. We recommend to customers that they can use Microsoft Defender Antivirus.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The central console needs improvement. Both McAfee and Symantec antivirus have dashboards. These integrate with a server and work on my antivirus or some other product. However, with Microsoft Defender, you use Microsoft Group Policy Object. Defender does not provide a central console. Therefore, if you implement Defender, then maybe use another tool for the central view.

I have been using Microsoft Defender Antivirus for more than two years.

In general, Defender Antivirus can work with my operating system. So, its performance is okay.

Defender can integrate with other Office 365 security products.

We just search for knowledge from Google.

My company deploys Symantec antivirus. However, when we buy a laptop, it includes Windows 10, which has Defender antivirus installed. Therefore, we use both antivirus software, Symantec and Defender.

We did not deploy Microsoft Defender Antivirus. It simply came preloaded with Windows 10.

I would recommend using Group Policy Object to deploy this solution and enable some functions.

You just pay Windows 10 prices, then you have antivirus software. As a price comparison, Defender's costs are very low.

What other advice do I have?

We sell the Microsoft 365 solution to customers. If a customer wants Windows 10 Defender, they can choose Defender ATP in Office 365.

I would rate this solution as a five or six out of 10.

AbdullahAl Masum - PeerSpot reviewer
Professional Prospect List Building Service Provider, Email Sourcer, Virtual Assistant at Freelance
Easy to install, good performance, and offers strong protection
  • "A few years ago, when I was using a different product, I was affected by a virus that destroyed everything. Since using Microsoft Defender, I have not had this kind of problem."
  • "Lowering the price would be an improvement."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use this solution for the safety of my PC. It protects me against ransomware and other types of viruses.

How has it helped my organization?

Microsoft Defender has indicated problems with some websites that I was able to remove.

A few years ago, when I was using a different product, I was affected by a virus that destroyed everything. Since using Microsoft Defender, I have not had this kind of problem.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it helps protect me against any type of virus that might attack my system.

The performance is good.

What needs improvement?

Lowering the price would be an improvement.

I have been using Microsoft Defender Antivirus for the last three years.

Stability-wise, this is a strong product and it works better than other anti-virus solutions.

Prior to this solution, I had used different anti-virus products. One of them was a solution by Kaspersky, which I used for a long time. When I was using it, my PC was running very slow. Sometimes, I was not able to access legitimate websites because Kaspersky blocked them. I found that it blocked many websites that were legally valid, which was frustrating.

Because of these reasons, I switched products.

I used another product after Kaspersky for one year but it was not good either.

Installing this solution on the computer is easy to do.

While expensive, the service it provides is good, which is why we are using it.

Microsoft Defender is an expensive product in my country.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend my friends and colleagues use Microsoft Defender because it always protects us against ransomware and viruses.

In summary, this is a great product.

Mahendra Patel - PeerSpot reviewer
SOC Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Stable solution with good threat intelligence; offers good technical support
  • "Its threat intelligence feature is beneficial. This solution smoothly integrates with SIEM."
  • "Integrating this with third-party systems has some complexity involved."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for threat management and pallet management.

What is most valuable?

Threat intelligence is one of the most valuable features in Microsoft Defender for Endpoint. It's one of the key benefits we enjoy from the solution. The built-in Windows protection is another key benefit we like about the solution.

We've also integrated Microsoft Defender for Endpoint with the SIEM, for pallet management. It went smoothly and there were no challenges.

What needs improvement?

An additional feature I'd like to see in the next release is for this product to be more flexible when integrating with third-party systems.

Another feature I'd like to see in this product is the sandbox, particularly a third-party sandbox. This feature will help us give better service.

It's been six months since I've started using Microsoft Defender for Endpoint.

This solution has very good stability.

This solution is scalable.

Microsoft's technical support is good.

The initial setup for this solution was easy, but after the basic configuration, particularly the integration with other tools, there was some struggle initially, but later on, integration went through. Integration with third-party systems had some complexity involved.

Compared to ESET, the pricing for Microsoft Defender for Endpoint is on the higher side.

I evaluated ESET and ArcSight.

What other advice do I have?

Currently, we have not experienced or seen any challenges with Microsoft Defender for Endpoint.

Our customers are mostly medium-sized companies.

My advice to people thinking about implementing Microsoft Defender for Endpoint is that it is good, in relation to Windows, but if they want to have a holistic product in relation to Linux and other systems, they need to consider other products.

I'm rating Microsoft Defender for Endpoint an eight out of ten.

NiravKumar - PeerSpot reviewer
Cyber Security Specialist at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
Good support and valuable EDR feature, but not stable and not suitable for enterprises with lots of other processes and third-party tools
  • "The EDR feature is most valuable."
  • "It is currently more suitable for end-users rather than enterprises with lots of other processes and third-party tools. It needs improvement on that front. We had many issues while integrating it with our enterprise solutions, such as Splunk, and third-party tools. It provides everything via APIs. Other vendors provide integration with third-party tools, but Microsoft doesn't do that. It is also logging too much and is not serialized from the process aspect. It has all the data, but it is not in a proper format or not properly indexed, which doesn't make it easier for enterprises to use this data. Other vendors provide troubleshooting information that can be used to troubleshoot issues, but Microsoft doesn't provide anything like that."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for our endpoint detection and response capability.

What is most valuable?

The EDR feature is most valuable.

What needs improvement?

It is currently more suitable for end-users rather than enterprises with lots of other processes and third-party tools. It needs improvement on that front. We had many issues while integrating it with our enterprise solutions, such as Splunk, and third-party tools. It provides everything via APIs. Other vendors provide integration with third-party tools, but Microsoft doesn't do that.

It is also logging too much and is not serialized from the process aspect. It has all the data, but it is not in a proper format or not properly indexed, which doesn't make it easier for enterprises to use this data.

Other vendors provide troubleshooting information that can be used to troubleshoot issues, but Microsoft doesn't provide anything like that.

I have been using this solution for six months.

It is still a new product, and there are many reported bugs in terms of stability and impact on the endpoints.

We have around 80,000 users.

They are good. They take a little bit of time, but they are good.

It was very complex. We had many issues in integrating it with our enterprise solutions, such as Splunk, and third-party tools.

We have seven or eight engineers for its maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others if they don't have many third-party tools. It is a very good solution.

I would rate Microsoft Defender for Endpoint a seven out of ten.

Download our free Microsoft Defender for Endpoint Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: November 2022