We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Cesar-Rosas
Practice Director - QA and SW Testing Services at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
MSP
Complete solution for testing on a variety of platforms
  • "Our clients have requested by all types of testing, including mobile, desktop, and API testing and all of those are covered by Katalon. I find that very valuable, very complete."
  • "I've seen that our clients are not truly aware of the power behind Katalon."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use is for web automation.

We are an IT consulting services company. As part of our services, we provide testing services. That is why we are constantly looking for some tools and frameworks that might fit with our clients' needs.

We call ourselves agnostic, which means we are not going to be with only one provider. However, I've seen very powerful things behind the Katalon.

What is most valuable?

I find Katalon Studio to be a very complete product. Our clients have requested all types of testing, including mobile, desktop, and API testing and all of those are covered by Katalon. I find that very valuable, very complete.

What needs improvement?

I've seen that our clients are not truly aware of the power behind Katalon. Many of the clients are now ready for the traditional Selenium, perhaps a more friendly layer like Cucumber or SpecFlow. But I think they will understand if we start doing automation with Katalon and they would be much more interested. The automation developers are starting to have really high demand and the salaries have increased, so with Katalon they might be interested in two things - the velocity of testing plus bringing manual testing to the automation world.

I have been using Katalon Studio for about a half year, now. I use it for demo purposes with our clients.

We previously utilized Katalon for demo purposes. We also used Selenium, not Selenium HQ, but Selenium alone. And I think we are utilizing Cypress and Cucumber with Selenium, in different flavors of languages, et cetera.

I haven't precisely checked the business model behind Katalon, and I would like to understand that as well, because most of our clients ask for licenses and prices, and we don't know. From my understanding, the basic version is free, but it would be interesting to understand the full package.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I would give Katalon Studio an 8.

Nadia Zaman
Software Quality Assurance Engineer at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
Easy to deploy and not hard to learn, but keeps on crashing on Linux and is a bit slow
  • "It has been good so far for API testing on Mac. It is not that hard to learn and use. There is so much support out there, so if anyone wants to start using it, there is enough help."
  • "Currently, I'm the only one who can use it because I have a Mac. It is giving a hard time to my team members who are on Linux. My team members are using Linux, and Katalon doesn't support Linux very well. It keeps on crashing. It crashes and shuts down almost every time they save their work, so they are not able to use it. It should have good support for Linux. We don't know what the problem is. If the Katalon team can pick up this issue, it will be very helpful."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for API testing. I am just running it from my local machine. I am using it just locally.

What is most valuable?

It has been good so far for API testing on Mac. It is not that hard to learn and use. There is so much support out there, so if anyone wants to start using it, there is enough help.

What needs improvement?

It is a bit slow. The other tools on my Mac are not slow, but Katalon is slow.

It has been more than six months.

I worked on Postman, but for RPA automation, I just started working with Katalon.

It was easy. I just had to double-click on Mac.

I am using the free version.

What other advice do I have?

It should support all operating systems. Most of the developers use a Linux machine, but it doesn't support Linux. I would like an update from the Katalon team about why it is not working properly on a Linux machine.

I would rate it a six out of 10. It is a good product, but it needs some improvements.

Learn what your peers think about Katalon Studio. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,643 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Programmer Analyst at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to use, runs Selenium scripts, and the element capture is helpful
  • "It is easy for a non-technical person to use and adopt."
  • "It is difficult to identify elements on websites that use Angular or ReactJS because they don't have an option to view source code."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Katalon Studio for test automation. There are multiple use cases including creating Selenium scripts to help guarantee RPA frameworks.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the Element capture. It is capable of scanning the application, recording, and capturing the elements.

You can develop a Selenium script and execute it in Katalon Studio.

There are multiple ways that you can guarantee the functionality of RPA frameworks.

Katalon makes it easy for the automation engineer to create automation scripts.

There are lots of script creation options including for the desktop and the API.

It is easy for a non-technical person to use and adopt.

What needs improvement?

There is no centralized repository for documentation, which is something that would assist users.

I have been using Katalon Studio for about a year and a half.

This is a stable solution.

Katalon Studio is scalable because of the cost, and that you can execute Selenium scripts.

We have three people in our team who use it.

My opinion of the technical support is that it is average. I am satisfied with it.

Katalon Studio is a free tool.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, it is a good tool in the market for test automation.

Bary Reyes
Technical Project Lead, Agile Coach, IT Educator at Asia Pacific College
Stable and good for API and continuous integration testing
  • "It is good for API testing. It is also good for continuous integration testing. You can connect it to Jenkins."
  • "It would be helpful if they can integrate a feature for performance testing."

What is our primary use case?

We're using it for API testing. It is deployed on my desktop.

What is most valuable?

It is good for API testing. It is also good for continuous integration testing. You can connect it to Jenkins.

What needs improvement?

I believe it would a great feature if they could integrate JMETER and other performance testing tools so that Katalon would become an all-in-one test automation tool

I have been using this solution for almost two years.

It is a reliable solution.

I have not scaled it or used any plug-in. Currently, we have less than five users of this product.

I haven't contacted their technical support because everything is okay.

It wasn't complex.

We are using the free version. We plan on getting a paid version because there is a limitation in terms of the number of users. We want to maximize it.

What other advice do I have?

It is a mature product, and it is a good starting point for beginners. It is pretty much similar to the other tools in the market.

I would rate Katalon Studio an eight out of 10. It is not perfect, but it is an excellent tool.