We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
PrabhasMishra
Technical Manager at MetLife
The performance and reliability are some of its valuable features, but I want to ensure event-driven mechanisms are included in the next release
  • "Combined with IBM MQ, this product is our primary data store."
  • "I'm not sure that current version has event-driven mechanism requests that people go for. I would like the latest version to come with both type of event mechanisms: an email server and a POP server. If that is not there, then that would be a great addition."

How has it helped my organization?

We work with an organization who has only one product and that works with IBM MQ. Combined with IBM MQ, this product is our primary data store.

What is most valuable?

There are many things that I like about IBM MQ, such as, its performance and reliability.

What needs improvement?

I'm not sure that current version has event-driven mechanism requests that people go for. I would like the latest version to come with both type of event-driven mechanisms: an email server and a POP server. If that is not there, then that would be a great addition.

I have been with a company for the last three years who has been using IBM. I was with another organization before that who used it for four or five years.

For the last three years, I haven't faced any stability issues. I would rate the stability as a nine (out of 10).

Support is managed by the vendor management team. This is being taken care by some of the managers.

I was not involved in the pricing structure.

There are quite a lot of competitors of IBM MQ who have high capabilities.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate the product as a seven (out of 10).

Manager Specialist Platform (Java) at a tech consulting company with 10,001+ employees
Backup queue concept and topics are unique features, but throughput could be better
  • "It also has a backup queue concept and topics, features that I have not seen anywhere else. I like these features very much."
  • "It could provide more monitoring tools and some improvement to the UI. I would also like to see more throughput in future versions."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for data integration.

What is most valuable?

It's very stable.

What needs improvement?

I've been dealing with IBM MQ for the last six months.

It's scalable. It's not for every use case, but you can scale it.

We have about 50 users of IBM MQ.

The technical support is good.

The setup is between straightforward and complex. It's not as straightforward as Apache ActiveMQ.

We did the setup.

I like Kafka more. MQ is number-two compared to Kafka.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good product but I think it's too costly. That's one disadvantage because there are already many open-source products, like RabbitMQ, Kafka, and ActiveMQ. If you really need a solid MQ solution then go with IBM MQ. If you don't need such a robust solution then you can go with any of the other solutions.

I would rate IBM MQ at seven out of 10. It has less throughput.

Learn what your peers think about IBM MQ. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
566,121 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Database Administration Team Leader at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
Good usability with very good publish and subscribe features
  • "The usability of the solution is very good."
  • "We need to have a better administration console and better monitoring features. Right now, they are not good and could be a lot better."

What is most valuable?

The subscribe and publish features are excellent. We use them a lot.

The usability of the solution is very good.

What needs improvement?

There isn't that much happening with the installation consoles and monitoring consoles. This could be improved.

The pricing could be better.

I've been using the solution for ten years. It's been a decade so far, therefore, it's been a rather long time overall.

The technical support has been pretty good. Every time I've used it, they were pretty good and I found them to be knowledgeable and responsive. I'm quite happy with their level of service.

The pricing could be lower. It's not the cheapest option out there. However, I don't have comparison prices with other solutions at this time. We're working on comparison pricing currently.

We are currently evaluating other options. We are starting the comparison now and we are starting on the technical scope, not on the budget. However, we will also consider pricing as we evaluate other potential options for our company.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have any business affiliation with the organization.

On a scale from one to ten, I'd rate this solution at a nine.

Upendra Rao
Independent Consultant at State Bank of India
Can be integrated with multiple systems and has reliable queuing

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for messaging monitoring.

What is most valuable?

The reliability of the queuing is the most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

I can't say pricing is good. It is a popular and reliable solution. IBM can be integrated with other products which is why it gets sold. People also like Oracle. They can be integrated with multiple systems. That is a selling point for these solutions.

We have been using IBM MQ for fifteen years.

It is stable.

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for messaging monitoring.

What is most valuable?

The reliability of the queuing is the most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

We have been using IBM MQ for fifteen years.

It is stable.

We never have had a problem with the scalability. We had a problem but the company who was helping us figured out that it wasn't because of IBM MQ, it was another problem. Scalability has been good.

We have a little more than 100 users.

The product is stable and reliable. We don't generally have support issues. If the product isn't good, people will say that it's not a good product but the support is good. If it's a good product, you won't need much support.

The initial setup for the messaging part is straightforward. For other features, it's of medium complexity.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of ten. Not a ten because of the pricing.

IT Team Lead at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Clustering is good, but the setup is difficult

What is our primary use case?

We use it to send a notification to our customers.

What is most valuable?

The clusterization which results in persistence is the most valuable feature. I only use a very small number of its features.

I have been using IBM MQ for about three years. For about one year I wrote adapters for IBM Broker and for two years or more I wrote services that used IBM MQ. This was a Java application by JMS.

The stability is okay.

Scalability is not an issue of IBM MQ. There is no replication of messages and that is very bad for systems. Only persistence can solve this issue.

How are customer service and

What is our primary use case?

We use it to send a notification to our customers.

The stability is okay.

IBM technical support is good.

The initial setup is difficult. Creating your own cluster is difficult and working with cluster repositories is difficult. Issue management with IBM MQ is difficult.

It's a very expensive product.

I like RabbitMQ more than IBM MQ.

What other advice do I have?

If you have a lot of money then I would, of course, recommend IBM MQ.

Administrator at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
Stable, reliable, and scalable, and helps keep our data safe
  • "It is stable, reliable, and scalable."
  • "If they could come up with monitoring dashboards that would be good. We are using external monitoring tools, apart from our IBM MQ, to monitor IBM MQ. If we could get monitoring tools or dashboards to keep everything simple for the user to understand, that would be good."

What is most valuable?

Everything looks fine. It is

• stable
  • reliable
  • scalable.

What needs improvement?

I am not involved with it at the architect level. I am providing entry-level support for the product. But perhaps if they could come up with monitoring dashboards that would be good. We are using external monitoring tools, apart from our IBM MQ, to monitor IBM MQ. If we could get monitoring tools or dashboards to keep everything simple for the user to understand, that would be good.

The stability looks good.

The scalability is good. I don't have any issues with it.

The initial setup is not complex. It's very simple. I didn't find any difficulty with it.

What other advice do I have?

Apart from IBM MQ, we are using IBM Integration processor. We are pretty satisfied with the product.

I would strongly recommend the solution, depending on the elements and architecture you're using. If you want to keep your data safe, I would definitely recommend using IBM MQ. We are satisfied with the service provided by IBM MQ. We don't have any issues.

I would rate it at 10 out 10. It's the best.

Sergey Sidorov
Chief of Integration Department at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Enables us to integrate core applications and external solutions from our partners

What is our primary use case?

We use it for all our integration cases, including the integration of core applications within our company and external solutions from our partners. We use IBM MQ and IBM Integration Bus, App Connect.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the interaction within the system.

I have been dealing with IBM MQ for five years.

The solution is very stable. There are some bugs, but they are very small.

Scaling is difficult with IBM MQ.

The support from IBM Russia is good.

The initial setup is 50/50, between…

What is our primary use case?

We use IBM MQ and IBM Integration Bus, App Connect.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the interaction within the system.

I have been dealing with IBM MQ for five years.

The solution is very stable. There are some bugs, but they are very small.

Scaling is difficult with IBM MQ.

The support from IBM Russia is good.

The initial setup is 50/50, between straightforward and complex. The difficult part is because for the integration of other systems with IBM MQ, they need to use software from the IBM client. But the installation itself is not difficult.

We had assistance from an integrator.

It would be a 10 out of 10 if it wasn't so expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend the solution, but it is very costly.

Technical Specialist at a maritime company with 10,001+ employees
Offers very good performance as well as scalability and stability

What is our primary use case?

I'm a technical specialist and we are customers of IBM.

What is most valuable?

This solution offers good performance as well as scalability and stability. It offers a template that's beneficial for any company.

What needs improvement?

I'd very much like to see more integration in the monitoring tools.

I've been using this solution for nine years.

The stability is good.

The solution offers very good scalability.

What is our primary use case?

I'm a technical specialist and we are customers of IBM.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I'd very much like to see more integration in the monitoring tools.

I've been using this solution for nine years.

The stability is good.

The solution offers very good scalability.

The initial setup was straightforward. It's all about planning because we have multiple application teams involved. Deployment takes somewhere between half an hour to an hour, but for the coordination to check and perform from the application side, takes almost a full day because we have critical, multiple applications. It needs to be coordinated and we need to be sure they are able to connect perfectly with our environment or with the MQ.

We pay an annual license fee.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this product and rate it a nine out of 10.