We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
System Administrator at CDBL
Useful features and reliable performance
  • "We use all the features, but some of the most valuable are the replication, priority optimization, provisioning, and deduplication. There are a lot of good features in this product."
  • "The GUI interface could be improved. I have been having trouble with one issue in particular. If you look at the DC and DR, if there is a communication break and the link went down—so the data is not replicating from DC to DR—there is no way to find out how much data is ready for transmission. Only the size of the data that needs to be transferred after the link comes up. If the firewall link is down, there is no way of seeing how much data is waiting to be transferred. This is a weak point of 3PAR."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is to store all share market data. It's a depository system and we store the share market data and transactions in the central repository. This solution is deployed on-premises.

What needs improvement?

I have been using 3PAR for five years.

This solution is stable and reliable. It has good performance and we have a team of three to monitor the 3PAR on a daily basis. The required technology is smarter, so in terms of on-site utilization, it's very good.

This solution is scalable. If I need more storage, they can just plug in to add it. I haven't faced this issue yet, but it seems like an easy process. I believe 3PAR is most suitable for small or medium sized companies.

HPE's technical support is very good, compared to other vendors. I appreciate their support.

The initial setup process is simple and straightforward. The HPE team handled most of it, but we take care of the day-to-day monitoring. If I test an issue and communicate with their team, they provide online support. If we need physical hardware, they provide the physical hardware.

The HPE partner team helped us with deployment.

I'm not sure on the pricing of this product because a different team handled that. I'm on the engineering team, so I handle the maintenance and those sorts of operations.

What other advice do I have?

I rate 3PAR a nine out of ten. Maybe there are better storage options, but from my experience 3PAR's performance is better than the other storage solutions I have used. The market has other big storage options, but I don't have experience in those. As of now, we are satisfied with this solution and I would recommend it to others.

Presales Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Performs well, the support is good, and it is a stable product
    • "This product has come to the end of its lifecycle."

What is our primary use case?

We use the StoreServ as our main storage device. We have one unit in the main site and the other in the DR site, with replication between them. We have a file server running, it hosts our database, and it acts as our Exchange server.

What is most valuable?

The performance is very good.

What needs improvement?

This product has come to the end of its lifecycle. We could keep it for many years but we are following the recommendation from HPE and are looking to either the Nimble or the Primera.

This is an expensive product, so the price could be reduced.

We have been using the HPE 3PAR StoreServ in our organization for about five years.

This is a stable product.

This solution is scalable. We have 50 users in our company and our clients have approximately 500 people who are using it.

Technical support is perfect.

We did a comparison in the market, and HPE was the best service providers for regular configuration and for the remote configuration.

Previously, we were using HPE MSA.

The installation, which included migration from our old system, took approximately one week.

The HPE partner installed this solution for us.

We have an IT member in our organization to maintain it, but we have a support contract with a center that is a supporter of HPE. They provide us with support and services. This is not only for storage but for everything that is included.

The SSD is a little bit expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We are now thinking about transitioning to the HPE Nimble or Primera, although not this year. This may happen in 2022. We plan to continue using this solution for performance, and availability. We are following the recommendation of HPE. They have recently started to mention the Primera and Nimble, which is why we are studying them.

We are not looking as much at Nimble because we are interested in the 100% availability that Primera has. The Primera is a little more expensive than the Nimble, so this is something that we have to think about.

This is a good solution and I can recommend it.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about HPE 3PAR StoreServ. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
    563,327 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Sr, Storage Engineer at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
    Straightforward with good duplication but the replication is a bit complicated
    • "The solution offers good stability."
    • "The replicating software is pretty complicated. I probably would have put it on a sequence."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for Oracle Databases. We're are also using it for VMware and NetBackup. It's one of the storage solutions for NetBackup.

What is most valuable?

The primary system comes with not too much software and is pretty simple and straightforward. You're not really using too much. The solution doesn't make things that are too complicated.

The replicating software is very good and the duplication part of it is very efficient.

Technical support is pretty good.

The solution offers good stability.

It has a good ability to scale.

What needs improvement?

I've been using the solution for about a year now. It hasn't been too long.

The stability of the solution is pretty good. We haven't had issues with bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

In general, the solution can scale. That shouldn't be a problem.

The technical support on offer is very nice. They are knowledgeable and responsive. We're very satisfied with their level of service so far.

We were using Synergy. The company wanted to go to an all-flash drive. At the time, HPE was one of the biggest manufacturers of all-flash drive. Therefore, it made sense to switch.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward. It was easy to go back and look at it. It wasn't too complex at all.

The solution is moderately priced. It's not the cheapest, nor is it the most expensive option.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We don't have a business relationship with HPE.

Anyone interested in any solution should probably research the software that comes with their own system a little bit better. If you do that, there's a chance that you might not buy some of the things that we bought and that were defaulted on setup. That was not good. Knowing what works together well will help in the long run. Don't be afraid if a third-party asks you questions. They're probably just trying to get to the bottom of how your setup looks.

I'd rate the solution six out of ten overall.

ICT Director KA Infra at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Obsolete, stable, overall great support
    • "The technical support is good."
    • "The performance of the solution is not good anymore and the software is different from all the other types and is not compatible. There are more negative things at this moment than positive. This is why we are removing them all from our organization this year."

What is our primary use case?

We have used HPE 3PAR Flash Storage in the past for all our IT data. For example, we have used it for claims, office management, business intelligence, business information. It can be used for a lot of purposes.

What needs improvement?

The performance of the solution is not good anymore and the software is different from all the other types and is not compatible. There are more negative things at this moment than positive. This is why we are removing them all from our organization this year.

I have been using HPE 3PAR Flash Storage for approximately 10 years.

The solution is stable.

HPE 3PAR Flash Storage was scalable in the past but in the current market, it is a four out of ten. You are not able to add more power to the solution, it is not stackable.

We have approximately 6,000 users using this solution.

The technical support is good.

I have used Nimble and Primera.

The installation is not that difficult nowadays. It takes approximately two days.

When we need to do the implementation HPE comes with us and does it together with our maintenance department and an external company.

We have three engineers that do the maintenance of the solution.

The price of the license depends. Some people expect more from the hardware. Some expect more from the licensing, and that is because you can receive several licenses nowadays, such as the terabyte license. You buy the storage, and you pay extra for the terabyte license for the software. There is a one-time purchase for the license and you pay annually for the maintenance.

I have evaluated NetApp.

What other advice do I have?

HPE 3PAR Flash Storage is old and is obsolete and we are moving to newer versions of the system.

HPE has several storage options, such as Nimble. HPE has a lot of operating systems for their storage, and they all have a different approach. They were all from different companies which HPE bought, for example, Nimble and Primera.

I would not recommend this solution anymore. I would advise others to look for new types of storage solutions.

I rate HPE 3PAR Flash Storage a four out of ten.

Ricky Santos
    System Administrator at ON Semiconductor Phils. Inc.
    Fast, reliable, and provides disaster recovery for our database-related storage
    • "Remote-copy provides high availability and disaster recovery for the connected clients."
    • "The cloud-based monitoring Infosight would be better if users are automatically enrolled in the cloud/group based on the configuration or information gathered or uploaded on the internet."

What is our primary use case?

We have deployed HPE 3PAR systems on all database-related storage including MSSQL and Oracle. All of the SQL databases are running on VMware, and the database-related storage is mounted as RDM. The Oracle database is mounted directly to HPE 3PAR with remote-copy enabled.

How has it helped my organization?

HPE 3PAR provides fast and reliable storage for our critical systems like the database (MSSQL and Oracle). It also improved the availability of the system and at the same time provides a Disaster Recovery solution by using the remote-copy feature.

The adaptive optimization is also a factor in maximizing the capability of the system.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of this solution are Remote-copy and Adaptive Optimization.

The Adaptive Optimization provides tiering and optimizes the storage requirement of the client based on its load from time to time.

What needs improvement?

The auto-discovery of the system is not easy for first-time users.

I have been using this solution for 5 years.

This is one of the best solutions if you want to have a stable and highly reliable system.

This is a highly scalable system.

Technical support assisted us with a smooth and fast installation.

Previously we were using HP EVA but since this is an old solution, we wanted to upgrade. We wanted to try a newer solution with almost the same features, like HPE 3PAR.

The initial setup for this solution is indeed straightforward, although HP will not allow non-HP engineers to do the initial setup.

The implementation was completed by an HP engineer through the vendor.

The cost is reasonable given that the licensing is all included once you purchase it.

We did not evaluate other options before choosing this solution.

What other advice do I have?

The setup is pretty straightforward but HP only allows their engineers to do the setup. This gives us peace of mind for the setup.

Solution Architech at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
    A storage solution with a useful team provisioning feature, but cloud integration could be better
    • "I like that 3PAR can remake the disk online. That's one of the best features because when we first started, that was the best. The team provisioning feature was also a good one. Those features are the best for me, provisioning and online optimization, and the tier you can have for storage."
    • "Cloud integration could be better. They can also add an NVMe to port to that. I would like to see NVMe in the next release. That's the future or the near future for storage. That will give us a real high throughput and some performance."

What is our primary use case?

We use it mostly for databases and file share.

What is most valuable?

I like that 3PAR can remake the disk online. That's one of the best features because when we first started, that was the best. The team provisioning feature was also a good one. Those features are the best for me, provisioning and online optimization, and the tier you can have for storage.

What needs improvement?

Cloud integration could be better. They can also add an NVMe to port to that. I would like to see NVMe in the next release. That's the future or the near future for storage. That will give us a real high throughput and some performance.

I have been working with HPE 3PAR StoreServ for about ten years or since the beginning when the product was in the market.

It's quite stable. The only problem that I have found with this product is when you are missing storage space. When you lack storage space, and the disk is full is when you have most of the problems with this product. But if you don't have these issues, you'll almost never have a problem with it.

Scalability could be better. I think it's getting short right now, and another product has more scalability. This product, I think, is medium if that's acceptable. I don't know how to measure it.

I think it's excellent. I actually think they are very good.

The initial setup is easy. It takes between two to four hours to upload the functions.

It's a good price.

What other advice do I have?

If you want to run this solution, I would say that this product is mostly dying from my point of view. If you're my customer, I would recommend not to buy a 3PAR because there are a lot of new products. I would recommend Nimble, depending on the size, or a Primera if they need a really big solution.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give HPE 3PAR StoreServ a seven.

IT Infrastructure and Operational Lead at a consumer goods company with 201-500 employees
    Stable storage for hosting our on-premises databases, but it is complex to manage
    • "This product is stable, aside from the performance problems we had."
    • "I would like to see an automatic re-balancing system or functionality for adaptive optimization."

What is our primary use case?

We use the 3PAR to host our SQL Database and Oracle Database. We also use it for VMware and vCenter.

What is most valuable?

We do not manage this product ourselves, so we are not familiar with all of the features that it has.

What needs improvement?

We had an issue a few months ago where we experienced a degradation in performance.

Every time you scale by adding more capacity, you need to pay for re-balancing services that cannot be performed in-house.

We have been using HPE 3PAR StoreServ for almost five years.

This product is stable, aside from the performance problems we had.

We have added capacity to this solution between four and six times. Each time we did, we had to purchase services for re-balancing. It has to be done by a 3PAR engineer, rather than by our staff. It's a complex process. With some other products, you can just add a new disk to increase capacity, and you don't need to perform re-balancing.

There are three of us in the company who uses it.

For development, we have an IBM DS5000 storage system.

As it is for development, I cannot compare the two solutions. Our 3PAR is adapted for production.

The initial setup is complex because it needs a special engineer from HPE to take care of the setup and load balancing.

Our equipment is managed by a holding company. I request the load and capacity, and they configure it for me.

This is not an expensive product but every time you add capacity to it, you need to pay for re-balancing.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I do not recommend because it is too difficult for people to manage, and it should also be a little bit cheaper.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Sr. Manager - IT Systems at a transportation company with 501-1,000 employees
    Flexible and convenient with good integration capabilities
    • "The solution is easy to install."
    • "While the stability is pretty good, it could always be improved upon."

What is most valuable?

It's a very convenient product. I find it easy to use.

It's very flexible in terms of management.

It's an enterprise tool.

The integration is good. We've integrated it with other UNIX platforms and Windows platforms.

The solution is easy to install.

The pricing is okay.

What needs improvement?

I'm not sure how good the security is.

While the stability is pretty good, it could always be improved upon.

I've been using the solution for almost four years at this point. I've used it for a while.

The solution has been very stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The solution is scalable and a company can expand it if they want to.

We only have 100 people that actually use the solution.

The support on offer is very good. We don't have any issues with them. They are helpful and responsive and we are satisfied with the support we get when we need it.

We did use Hitachi last year.

The initial setup is not overly difficult or complex. it's pretty simple and straightforward.

The deployment is fast and within a day you can have everything up and running.

We have engineers available that can assist with deployment and maintenance.

We had support from HPE directly. They assisted us in the implementation.

We're using it as a SaaS. The pricing is reasonable. It's not cheap, however, I don't consider it to be overpriced.

We have an annual support contract. It will contain a certain percentage of the storage cost.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. I've been pretty happy with its capabilities.

I'd recommend the solution to other users and organizations.

We don't have plans to leave this solution any time soon. We'll likely have it for the next two to three years.

Download our free HPE 3PAR StoreServ Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.