We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Responsable TUIC at a educational organization with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to configure and offers good pricing to educational institutions, but needs to be more stable
  • "The solution is very easy to configure."
  • "The solution is not easy to use."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for the domain controller.

How has it helped my organization?

The product has helped our company as it offers us a domain controller and the use of the domain service.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to configure.

The solution has a lot of features.

The pricing is good. They offer special pricing to educational institutions that is less than what a typical organization might pay.

What needs improvement?

The solution is not easy to use.

The solution could be more stable. It's an aspect they could improve on in future versions.

The solution could be more scalable and flexible.

The solution needs to offer better documentation and more training to its users. This would help customers better understand how to use the product effectively.

I've been using the solution since 2015. It's been just over five years now. It's been a while.

The solution does not offer very good stability. It's something they need to improve upon.

The solution is moderately flexible. I'd rate it at a 3 out of five. It could be better.

We have 100 users on the solution currently. We do have plans to increase the number of users to 200 in the future.

Technical support could be a bit better. they do have a lot of features and sometimes we need assistance with everything.

I have some experience with Linux, however, I find it a bit more difficult to implement.

The solution is not too difficult or complex to set up. It's easier to implement than other servers. For example, Linux is much more difficult.

The pricing, for us, is reasonable. We are an educational institution and therefore we get special rates. Therefore, our pricing isn't too bad. However, an enterprise version of the solution is quite expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We are just a customer and an end-user of the solution. We don't have a business relationship with Microsoft.

We are currently using the 2016 version and have plans to upgrade to the 2019 version.

I would recommend the solution to other users and organizations.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten. It's an okay product, however, there are many areas that could be improved.

Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Flexible with easy deployment and good technical support
  • "We find the solution to be easy to use and simple to navigate."
  • "The solution could be more reasonably priced."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is very useful if the company doesn't want open storage, OS. In those cases, we usually recommend customers to use Microsoft services. Most of the time it's actually the client who gives us advice on what kind of OS they want to use and they will just ask for the quotation.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very flexible.

We find the solution to be easy to use and simple to navigate.

The stability is very good.

The security on the server has been great. It's much more secure than, for example, other open-source operating systems.

We find the solution very easy to install.

Technical support is very helpful.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be more reasonably priced.

We've been dealing with the solution for a couple of years at this point. It's been a while now. We've had some time with it.

The stability of the product is good. The product doesn't crash or freeze and there are no bugs or glitches. It's reliable.

There is no need to scale the solution. It's not the type of solution that really needs to scale.

I'm not sure the exact number of people using the solution. It's my understanding that it's over ten at this time.

Technical support is very fast when it comes to replying. They were able to solve any issues we raised with them. We're satisfied with their level of service.

The initial setup is not complicated to set up. It's pretty simple and straightforward. A company shouldn't have any issues with the process.

The deployment process may take about 30 minutes or so, as long as you don't run into any errors.

You only need two technical people to manage the deployment process. You don't need a very big team.

The pricing could be a bit more competitive.

The solution offers a permanent license. You don't have to pay a monthly or yearly subscription.

What other advice do I have?

We are Windows Server consultants.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We've been quite satisfied with its capabilities.

I would recommend the product to other users and companies, especially those that don't want to use an open-source option.

Learn what your peers think about Windows Server. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,599 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Project Manager at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Good technical support, stable, and easy to set up
  • "The initial setup is quite straightforward."
  • "The price could be a little less. It's a bit expensive."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a base layer for our software. Our developers decided they should create our products based on the Microsoft platform. We have to use the Windows Server as the applied model.

We have some solutions based on Linux, however, Microsoft Windows Server is the primary operating system.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has improved our organization as we are able to sell our products with Microsoft. Without it, we can't make our business work.

What is most valuable?

The solution is absolutely integral to our business processes.

It's a widely used system.

The product is very stable.

The initial setup is quite straightforward.

Technical support is very helpful.

What needs improvement?

I haven't had any experience with active data storage or high-level configuration. From my perspective, Windows Server can stay on this level without any development as it works for me how it is.

The price could be a little less. It's a bit expensive.

Maybe 10 or 15 years ago, there were some problems with stability, however, right now, we haven't needed to install any patches and we have not faced any problems. I'd describe it as quite stable at this point.

The solution is used widely across the company. However, I cannot speak to how many servers we have at this time.

We do plan to increase usage as we continue to grow.

Microsoft technical support has been great. They are helpful and responsive. We are very happy with the level of support on offer.

The initial setup is very straightforward and not overly difficult.

The pricing isn't the cheapest. For example, Linux would be a free option. People don't have to pay for it. With Microsoft, you need to pay to license it.

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer and end-user. We are also a Microsoft reseller.

SQL Server 10 can't work without an operating system. It needs to be installed on the machine with an operating system, so it is dependent on it. A Windows Server needs to be installed as a first step before SQL will be installed.

We primarily use on-premies or private cloud deployment models.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

I'd recommend the solution. It's a very good platform.

Consultant at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Stable and user-friendly with good performance
  • "It's very easy and user-friendly compared to any other operating system."
  • "The scalability could be better."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is basically an operating system for business. We use it for business purposes. that's it.

What is most valuable?

The performance of the solution is good.

It's very easy and user-friendly compared to any other operating system.

The stability has been good.

What needs improvement?

The scalability could be better.

I've been using the solution for the last five years or so. It's been a while at this point.

The stability has been good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable. Even if we ran into trouble, we know we can rely on Microsoft to help us very quickly.

The scalability is limited. They could make it easier to expand.

I'm working with a startup and I would say there are about 50 people or so on the solution at this time. We don't have a big setup.

Likely, we plan to increase it in the future. By how much, I can't say.

Technical support is responsive. We know if we run into issues, they will respond quickly in order to help us resolve the issue. We are quite satisfied with their level of attentiveness. They are helpful.

We did not use a different solution before setting up this product.

I can't speak to the installation procedures. I've never participated in an initial setup and therefore cannot speak to the process or how easy or hard it was.

I can't speak to the maintenance requirements or how many people on staff look after the solution.

I'm not involved in the licensing aspect of the solution, I can't speak to the company's arrangement with Microsoft. I'm not sure how often we pay licensing fees or how much.

What other advice do I have?

We are end-users and customers.

We use multiple deployment models, including cloud and on-premises.

I'm using the latest version of the solution.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten overall.

I'd recommend the solution to other users and companies. It's worked well for us so far.

Mr. Antonio Damian
Sales Manager at INFOSEC
Stable, integrates well with different solutions, and offers a very good operating system to customers
  • "The product integrates well with Sophos."
  • "A typical user will find implementing it on their own difficult."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution in order to manage clients, the CRM, or ERP (such as SAP), or such applications as Microsoft Dynamics. We use it for a variety of things.

What is most valuable?

The product is a good operating system. The features fit our needs very well. For example, with Windows Server, you can use a machine for printing, accessing the internet, or using some applications. You can do it all with one server. You don't need several servers. One is enough.

For those with a bit of technical know-how and have a level of comfort with Microsoft, it's not too difficult to implement.

The solution can scale if you need it to.

I've found the product to be stable.

The product integrates well with Sophos.

What needs improvement?

It's incompatible sometimes and doesn't communicate with all applications. When you need to share some data, communication is difficult between the server and the app.

A typical user will find implementing it on their own difficult.

We've used the solution for about ten years or so. It's likely been a decade. We've used it for a long time at this point.

I personally have 20 years of experience working with a variety of Microsoft products.

The stability is very good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The solution can scale if you need it to.

I also use Windows 10.

The initial setup is neither overly difficult nor very simple. It's somewhere in the middle. There's a moderate level of difficulty, however, it's not too hard. For a common user, it may come across as complex, however, with my level of knowledge, I don't find it too bad.

I have enough experience with the solution that I can handle it myself.

What other advice do I have?

We are just a customer and an end-user. We don't have a business relationship with Microsoft.

We tend to use Windows Server 2012 or 2016, depending on the enterprise applications.

I'd rate the product at a nine out of ten. I've been please with its capabilities so far.

IT Infrastructure Manager at a consumer goods company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A good solution for applications that require Windows
  • "The main features that we are using are active directory, domain, and DNS."
  • "They can simplify the utilization and control of the system when you have a lot of setups. They provided something called Windows Center or Control Center in version 2019. It's a free tool that comes with the Windows Server. You can install it on your desktop and use it. This tool simplifies the control and monitoring of all servers. If I have 200 servers, I don't need to log in to each one to configure it. I can manage them from this tool. However, this tool needs quite a lot of improvements. It's difficult to use, and they need to improve it."

What is most valuable?

The main features that we are using are active directory, domain, and DNS.

What needs improvement?

They can simplify the utilization and control of the system when you have a lot of setups. They provided something called Windows Center or Control Center in version 2019. It's a free tool that comes with the Windows Server. You can install it on your desktop and use it.

This tool simplifies the control and monitoring of all servers. If I have 200 servers, I don't need to log in to each one to configure it. I can manage them from this tool. However, this tool needs quite a lot of improvements. It's difficult to use, and they need to improve it.

I have been using this solution since 1990. Currently, we are using the latest version. We have the cloud and on-premises deployments.

It is good.

We never contacted them.

The initial setup was straightforward. It took around 15 minutes. Usually, on the server, we don't do the physical installation. When we install initially, we install an image. You just create an image, and that's it. After that, we don't need to do an installation.

There are only two options in the market: Windows and Linux. It depends on your application. If you have an application that requires Windows, you go with Windows Server. Otherwise, you go for Linux. There are not enough choices to choose from and decide.

What other advice do I have?

They had an issue in version 2016 related to the slowness of update management, but they already solved it in version 2019. It was impacting batch management. The time that Windows required was a lot, but it was fixed in version 2019. That was the only issue we faced in Windows Server. Other than that, it's fine.

I would advise on the version, not on the solution itself, that is, whether to use Windows Server or not. If Windows Server is a required solution, you have to take it. It's not an option. However, I would advise to not use version 2016.

I would rate Windows Server a ten out of ten. If your application is required on Windows, it's not comparable to any other solution. If an application can work with Windows or Linux, for sure, I'm going with Linux.

Santosh Kurakula
Group DWH and BI Senior Manager at Virgin Mobile Middle East and Africa
Plenty of support, flexible, and easy to maintain
  • "The most valuable features are the ease of access and maintaining the solution."
  • "The security could improve. If you are comparing the Linux operating systems and Windows Server, Windows Server is still way behind in terms of security. Microsoft can enhance security instead of having customers rely on third-party security tools."

What is our primary use case?

We use Windows Server mainly for deploying high-end applications and databases.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the ease of access and maintaining the solution.

What needs improvement?

The security could improve. If you are comparing the Linux operating systems and Windows Server, Windows Server is still way behind in terms of security. Microsoft can enhance security instead of having customers rely on third-party security tools.

I have been using Windows Server for approximately 10 years.

Windows Server is stable.

The solution is scalable and flexible to expend.

We have approximately 25 users using this solution in my organization.

The technical support and local support from Microsoft are good and there is a large online community that can support us. If we ever have any problems or bugs with the solution we can reach out to those supports to help us. However, we have not encountered any issues at this time.

If it is a basic installation then it is pretty straightforward. However, if you need to do a lot of configurations you will need some technical knowledge.

We can do the implementation ourselves, but mostly we distribute the task to consultants because they know the timeliness and the amount of work that needs to be done.

We have our IT support team of administrators and technicians that needs to manage the resources and in some cases do patch management and maintenance. For server maintenance, we need an expert that understands how to scale up or scale down the server.

There is a one-time purchase for the license of Windows Server.

Technically we only have two options to choose from for a solution to our use case. One is red Hat Linux and the other is Windows Server. Some of the applications that the team needs to develop only work on Windows Server. Based on the use case and the ease of access we went for Windows Server.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Windows Server a nine out of ten.

ICT System Engineer at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
PowerShell is a very valuable feature, as is the ease of scalability
  • "PowerShell is a great feature of the solution."
  • "Sometimes the PowerShell has an overly complicated syntax."

What is our primary use case?

I'm an ICT system engineer and we are customers of Microsoft.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable part about nowadays Windows is PowerShell. They got serious and implemented a real console which was always lacking in Windows.

What needs improvement?

Compared to Linux, Windows requires a lot of restarts. If you get a CU update every month, you have to restart. Linux is better in that regard. Sometimes the PowerShell has an overly complicated syntax.

I'd like to see some more features in the Windows administration kit - the WAC. It's this new product you got on the server and if you have a website you can manage your entire machine. It's a pretty good product, but it's still lacking some features like reporting because it's always a problem to have a dashboard for all your Windows machines, because Microsoft wants you to buy SCCM and all their monitoring services. The WAC is pretty nice but it still lacks some features. It would be great if they would develop it further.

I've been using this solution for 20 years.

It's pretty stable compared to the old Windows version, except sometimes there are problems with the CU updates. Maybe they should consider not employing so many updates and instead focus on the quality of the updates.

From the numbers of CPU you can pop into your machine, it's really scalable, but you need to be aware that Windows still has problems with a lot of CPUs. Managing CPUs would likely be better in Windows compared to Linux.

The initial setup is really straightforward, especially nowadays if you're using a WSUS server together with Microsoft deployment, you'll get it just perfect. It's faster than setting up the Linux box.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution but it depends on the software you are going to use it on.  When it's about a high performance web server, I would prefer Linux because you would choose to stick to engines as a web server and this product does not run very well on Windows, so you'd end up with Linux anyway.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.