We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
PrasadMane
System Advisor IT at CRIF High Mark
Reliable, user-friendly interface, easy to install, configure, and manage
  • "There is the simplicity of management, accessibility, and availability."
  • "The only concern that I have with VMware is the support. It is very limited and can be better."

What is our primary use case?

In the organization where I have worked for the past nine years, there are multiple virtualization platforms. Virtualization software includes Microsoft Hypervisor, Red Hat KVM, Oracle virtual machine, and Oracle virtual cloud.

vSphere is optimized for a specific type of virtualization.

What is most valuable?

There is the simplicity of management, accessibility, and availability.

The interface is really user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

When you get support from the VMware global team or support locations, customer complaints are not entertained or taken seriously by the VMware global team or support centers. Other OEMs, such as Microsoft and Oracle, would make you a priority.

I have been using VMware vSphere for three years.

We recently upgraded to the latest version.

It's a very stable solution. In fact, when it comes to virtualization, you can tell anyone to use the system.

In our organization, we have 600 users.

My previous organization had a population of approximately 35,000 people.

The support is the only negative feedback, they need improvements.

I'm familiar with all of the virtualization platforms that are now available on the market.

The initial setup and installation are straightforward. It is something that can be done by anyone.

In one hour, we can complete the installation and configuration.

Admins are only required to look after the VM portion of the new VM creation as well as the configuration or modification. Aside from that, we have a team of two or three admins to deploy and maintain this solution during their shift time, such as in the morning and afternoon shifts.

The organization pays the licensing fees.

We looked at a few alternatives and compared them to vSphere.

What other advice do I have?

The freelance experience for the platform is excellent.

I would recommend this solution to other users.

I would rate VMware vSphere a ten out of ten.

Yves-Schatzmann
Senior Information Technology Consultant at a energy/utilities company with 501-1,000 employees
Stable, scalable, with good customer support and an easy initial setup
  • "I definitely like the stability, performance and ease-of-use."
  • "NSX is a product of VMware vSphere and it would be nice to see the solution have full integration capabilities with it."

What is our primary use case?

The solution acts as the basis for doing virtualization.

What is most valuable?

I definitely like the stability, performance and ease-of-use.

I have no issues with the solution's scalability or user-friendliness. I consider these to be perfect. We have had a fantastic, problem-free solution for the past 14 years when it comes to fault tolerance and disaster recovery. It has everything one needs.

What needs improvement?

VMware vSphere has a limited scope and necessitates the adding of additional products. This involves further complexity and expense. NSX is a product of VMware vSphere and it would be nice to see the solution have full integration capabilities with it.

I have been using VMware vSphere since 2007.

The solution is stable.

The solution is certainly scalable.

The customer support is nice. We are talking about a great organization, which offers much staff, support and white paper.

The initial setup was straightforward, perfect.

This process for the initial server lasts ten minutes. There is also the console, which involves two parts, one being the server itself. This is where the CD-ROM goes, something which is now on a USB key and does not involve the undertaking of any activity.

Deployment lasts half a day, at which point everything is up and running.

The real question is whether the person wishes to have one server or a hundred. The use of 200 machines will take longer. What I am talking about is small, basic installations.

If a person is trained, then he will be able handle the deployment and maintenance on his own. This is not complex.

Our customers incur a yearly licensing fee, one of three or five years, in fact.

What other advice do I have?

We consider the solution to be obligatory.

The solution's use can range from ten users to thousands.

I would definitely recommend the solution to others. I am a big fan of it.

I rate VMware vSphere as a twenty out of ten. I give it a perfect ten rating.

Learn what your peers think about VMware vSphere. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,143 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Sr. Systems Engineer at a non-profit with 501-1,000 employees
Highly reliable with great support
  • "Very reliable with a great community."
  • "Pricing is starting to get a little high-end."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for server consolidation and high availability. We are customers of VMware and I'm a senior systems engineer.

What is most valuable?

The solution is highly reliable and suits our needs - it's highly popular. Support and the overall community are great. You can find a solution to any issues you have.

What needs improvement?

I think what they need to improve on is their pricing. They're starting to get a little high-end in terms of price compared to other solutions and the other solutions are catching up. Everything with VMware is very modularized and you can't just buy one piece and be done with it.

In my opinion, they would be wise to include a high availability out of the box type set up and not just for cloud, but site to site.

I've been using this solution for close to 15 years.

Technical support is excellent. They stay on the line and track down the problem. Usually it's on the first call. I have had some complex issues that took a day or two to resolve but for the most part, they're resolved in the first call.

For the most part, the initial setup is pretty straightforward. If you start getting into the more complex setups, it can get more complex. For most use cases, it's just stick the disk in, let it run, and it sets most of itself up. It's almost out of the box ready.

As far as I know, there is a standard licensing fee. It all depends on the options that you choose and what you need for each business. Every company that I've worked for has had a different pricing model and a different set of use cases. So pricing can range anywhere from $700-$800 per server core, all the way up $2,000-$3,000 per core.

What other advice do I have?

It's important to do your homework and make sure that it's the right solution for you. It's the same with anything, there are other options out there and you need to figure out what fits your business use case at the time.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Operation Engineer at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Great documentation, good reporting, and helpful technical support
  • "The solution is very scalable."
  • "The initial setup is quite complex."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for our virtual environment.

What is most valuable?

The VM features are all very good.

We've been very happy with the reporting aspects of the solution.

The documentation of the product is excellent. It's very helpful.

The product has been very stable. It's quite reliable.

The solution is very scalable.

We've found the technical support to be very helpful and responsive.

What needs improvement?

The initial setup is quite complex.

We would like the pricing to be lower. It's very expensive right now.

There could be more security features added to the product.

I've been using the solution for about five years or so. It's been a while at this point. I have a good amount of experience on it.

The stability is very good. It's reliable. The performance is good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The scalability is very good. If a company would like to expand, it can do so.

In our organization, ten to 15 people are using the solution.

We've been in touch with technical support in the past. They've always been responsive. They are helpful and effective at solving issues. We're quite satisfied with the level of support our organization receives.

The initial setup is not straightforward. It's pretty complex.

The licensing is on a subscription basis.

The solution, in general, is quite expensive. They should work to make it less costly for their customer base.

What other advice do I have?

We are customers and end-users of the product.

We are using the latest version of the solution at this time.

We've just deployed it ourselves, and it is very small. We haven't had any difficulties with it at all so far and it's been five years.

I'd recommend the solution to other organizations.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. We've been largely very satisfied with the capabilities.

IT Infrastructure Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Stable, easy to scale and deploy, vCenter and SRM features are good
  • "I think that the solution is perfect. It's the best on the market."
  • "Response time could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use VMware vSphere for virtualization and to deliver VDI.

How has it helped my organization?

The  vSphere plataform allow us to consolidate our datacenter and give us more availability.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the vCenter, and SRM.

Technically speaking, there is nothing that I don't like. I think that the solution is perfect. It's the best on the market.

I have not used all of the features but the features that are provided are perfect. There is nothing that this solution doesn't have.

What needs improvement?

I don't think that the solution must be improved.

I have been using VMware vSphere since 2007.

We have the latest version and 6.7. 6.5, and 6.0.

It's stable, we have not had any issues with stability.

We have 100,000 employees in our organization.

it's very scalable. It's easy to scale.

I would rate the technical support an eight out of ten. They need to improve the time it takes to resolve a case.

Response time could be improved.

Yes, a used Microsoft Hyper-V, I switched because vSphere is more mature and stable.

The initial setup is straightforward. It's easy.

It takes can take 10 to 15 minutes to deploy a new server into the vSphere platform. It's so easy.

It may take more time for testing and implementation.

Deployment varies, if you are referring to the deployment of the full solution, it includes deploying the vCenter, deploying the servers, the host, and creating our clusters can take up to three hours.

The implementation were with VMware consultant team.

I don't like the price because it's too expensive.

No, I evaluated just vSphere and Hyper-V.

What other advice do I have?

It's important to contract a good level of support from VMware.

I would rate VMware vSphere a nine out of ten.

Jeroen De Jonge
Autodidact Quantum Physics- Quantum mechanics. at IC Consultancy
Best way to have a non-host based fixed solution
  • "The virtualization is set by itself. vSphere is the best way to have a non-host based fixed solution. We always try to find an agnostic environment where we can restore agnostics or just say, "I need resources, capacity." That's why VMware vSphere in particular, has been the best in the past but now also with the evolution of their product. Nowadays, you don't have to use any STEM infrastructure anymore because the bandwidth and the land speeds are getting steeper."
  • "The only way for it to be a complete product is if you integrate all the functionalities. Then you don't need any backup solution anymore and you can do it by yourself. Integration needs improvement. They should improve a lot of the functionality because normally it's half of a product. You're only protecting yourself against technical failures but not against any cyber threats or any other stuff."

What is most valuable?

The virtualization is set by itself. vSphere is the best way to have a non-host based fixed solution. We always try to find an agnostic environment where we can restore agnostics or just say, "I need resources capacity." That's why VMware vSphere in particular, has been the best in the past but now also with the evolution of their product. Nowadays, you don't have to use any STEM infrastructure anymore because the bandwidth and the LAN speeds are getting steeper.

If you look at the interconnection if you have a dark fiber connection, you can have data sent between locations. It's getting much cheaper.

If you use Zerto on top of that, then you are protected against any cyber threats or attacks. If you do it right, if you configure it from the hypervisor layer to external storage and then you have always a way back. It's blocked by the application of the journal. You can always go back to a point in time if you want to restore. If the point in time is as short as possible then you have the best solution. You can leave any additional solutions like CrowdStrike.

What needs improvement?

The only way for it to be a complete product is if you integrate all the functionalities. Then you don't need any backup solution anymore and you can do it by yourself. Integration needs improvement. They should improve a lot of the functionality because normally it's half of a product. You're only protecting yourself against technical failures but not against any cyber threats or any other stuff. It's not about prevention, it's about time to recovery because it's going to happen anyway.

I have been using vSphere for twelve years.

It was very easy to install. If you have the right piece of hardware or blade server in place, you can use it in a VM where you try XYZ and then install it. You go forward with that and it's ready to install, so it's not a big problem.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate vSphere and 9.5 out of ten.

I really like it because it's a storage restoration additional add-on but it's really expensive now.

Ricky Santos
System Administrator at ON Semiconductor Phils. Inc.
Provides robust and highly available development and production environments
  • "The vMotion in particular I think is the most valuable because this feature provides migrations of virtual machines in case you want to run do maintenance."
  • "I would like to see VMware vSphere provide a centralized patch service on the VMware level, regardless of your operating systems."

What is our primary use case?

The entire production and development environments are running on VMware vSphere using the 6.0 and 6.5 versions with twelve-node clustered configurations. Two data centers were deployed to separate the production side virtual machines from those of test and development.

How has it helped my organization?

The deployment of Enterprise VMware vSphere architecture helps us provide a robust and high availability infrastructure because of the combined features of VMware vSphere and VMware vCenter such as HA, DRS and Fault Tolerance. This base metal virtualization is highly compatible with almost all of the IT hardware.

What is most valuable?

The vMotion in particular I think is the most valuable because this feature provides migrations of virtual machines in case you want to run do maintenance. This his feature comes hand-in-hand with other features of VMware like the DRS, which automatically load-balances the whole VMware farm based on the usage and recommendation.

What needs improvement?

Improve the patch and updates online and remove mandatory reboot, or move the virtual machine onto a physical host that needs patching/maintenance.

I would like to see VMware vSphere provide a centralized patch service on the VMware level, regardless of your operating systems.

I have been using this solution for eleven years.

In my long experience, I have a single incident where our whole VMware farm went down. I can say it is very stable as long as the hardware is healthy.

The scalability is great. This solution is highly scalable and compatible with almost all IT hardware on the market.

The support is very responsive and highly knowledgeable.

Prior to this solution, we used Oracle Virtual Machine and Xen Virtualizations.

I  used the profiling feature.

I set up the system myself.

The license of VMware is a one-time payment and you can continue to enroll in support for troubleshooting and also administer the licenses.

We did not evaluate other options before choosing this solution.

Kobus Almon
Chief Technology Officer at perfekt
MSP
Stable, scalable, easy to install and has good tech support
  • "The initial setup is very simple."
  • "The integration with containers should be addressed."

What is our primary use case?

While we work with the latest version, we also support customers when it comes to backing up their older versions, meaning we work with a variety of different ones.

Many of our customers have their core infrastructure on vSphere platforms. They make use of the solution for their virtual environments when it comes to their educational and healthcare institutions.

What is most valuable?

We consider the virtualization of CPU and storage resources to be a valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

The integration with containers should be addressed. While they have started to integrate with Tanzu, the integration is not that good at the moment.

I have been using VMware vSphere for 15 years.

As the solution has been around for a while, it's quite stable.

The solution is easy to scale.

We have take advantage of technical support. It is very good.

The initial setup is very simple.

Its duration depends on how big the environment is. Huge ones may take several weeks for implementation, while smaller ones would take several days.

Once the solution is deployed, there is a need for specific maintenance, as there are security vulnerabilities which must be considered, or new features or versions that may be put out.

We provide all the maintenance for the customers. As we also have services organizations, we manage some of these environments on the customers behalf.

As the vSphere platform allows for a variety of additions, it is quite good. There is enterprise plus, enterprise and standard, so the pricing is not too bad.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is mostly deployed on-premises, although we also have cloud deployments.

This product is suitable for a company of any size.

The solution rates competitively against Nutanix and Microsoft. Overall, I feel it to be a pretty proven platform, although the underlying platform, or the management and features that surround it, are of secondary importance. BDI is the main focus.

I rate VMware vSphere as an eight out of ten.

Download our free VMware vSphere Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.