We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
IT Manager at KIRLOSKAR PNEUMATIC CO. LTD.
Built-in backup, effective backup and recovery features

What is our primary use case?

VMware vSphere is used for server virtualization. We are using Microsoft Active Directory, file, and Linux servers

How has it helped my organization?

The built-in backup and hyper-converged systems have helped our organization.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of VMware vSphere are backup and recovery.

I have been using VMware vSphere for approximately 10 years.

The solution is stable. However, sometimes it goes down, which can be time-consuming because it requires some complex scripts only the support team know. I am the only person doing the maintenance of this solution.

What is our primary use case?

How has it helped my organization?

The built-in backup and hyper-converged systems have helped our organization.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of VMware vSphere are backup and recovery.

I have been using VMware vSphere for approximately 10 years.

I am the only person doing the maintenance of this solution.

VMware vSphere is scalable.

We have approximately 500 users using the solution.

The support has been good.

We have used Microsoft previously and we have found VMware to be more mature.

The setup is easy. However, the configuration expansion can be difficult. The full implementation took three to four days. This included the move from physical servers to virtual ones.

We used a reseller for the implementation and had a good experience.

When you spend on this solution you will get it back.

We pay for the solution on an annual basis. There are no additional fees other than the standard license.

What other advice do I have?

It's quite stable, has good support available, and is a mature product.

I rate VMware vSphere a nine out of ten.

Costinel Tunsoiu
Database Administrator at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Robust and easy to use with good performance and efficiency
  • "The performance is efficient."
  • "One of the areas creating a crash is when you are cloning."

What is our primary use case?

We have Hyper-V on a physical machine and another virtual machine. We are using this because of iSCSI, and we are using VMware for performance and production.

What is most valuable?

The performance is efficient. You can log the performance and report on the bottlenecks or any other problems you encounter.

What needs improvement?

One of the areas creating a crash is when you are cloning.

If you are cloning a virtual machine and you have any license on another system it will crash and we have to contact third-party support for assistance.

It's not cloning 100%.

I have been using VMware vSphere for eight years.

We are using version 5 and 6.7.

It's a stable solution, we have not had any issues with stability.

It's a scalable solution. We have three people in our organization who are using this solution.

We did not contact technical support. It wasn't necessary.

We are working with Hyper-V. It was so poor that we started using VMware.

The initial setup was straightforward, it was easy.

The price could be lower.

We are looking for other solutions, specifically for Hyper-V and domain controllers.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. It's robust, it's working and it's easy to use.

I would rate VMware vSphere a ten out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about VMware vSphere. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
565,689 professionals have used our research since 2012.
IT Manager at pioneers
Feature rich, easy to use, and simple initial installation
  • "The solution has many valuable features. Virtualization is flexible and it has simple clustering. However, the most important feature is the ability to move between VMs. The vMotion features are very good."
  • "The monitoring is not good in vSphere, many times you have latency or you cannot find what you want. The events should be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are using VMware vSphere on all of our servers in all environments.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The monitoring is not good in vSphere, many times you have latency or you cannot find what you want. The events should be improved.

I have been using VMware vSphere for more than five years.

The stability is very good, but the performance is not good. If you have a large workload, you have to go to a physical service.

The solution is scalable, to add storage is easy.

We have approximately six administrators that use the solution in my organization.

I have needed the support of VMware on one occasion. The first level of support is not good but the second level is better and overall the response times tend to be poor.

The initial setup is easy.

I did the implementation of the solution myself. We do the regular maintenance ourselves.

I'm satisfied with the VMware vSphere price. They have a bundle that is priced well. However, any advantage feature is very costly.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate VMware vSphere an eight out of ten.

Rommie  Kaputin
IT TECHNICAL/ SERVER ADMINISTRATOR at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Valuable features, user-friendly, and priced reasonably
  • "I have found the Storage vMotion feature to be the most valuable."
  • "One problem that needs fixing is when we run the backup for the servers, the servers become inaccessible to everybody on-site while it is creating a snapshot."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to host our business-critical applications and servers on-premise.

What is most valuable?

I have found the Storage vMotion feature to be the most valuable.

It is a very user-friendly solution.

What needs improvement?

One problem that needs fixing is when we run the backup for the servers, the servers become inaccessible to everybody on-site while it is creating a snapshot. If your server size is large you will have to wait longer when the server is unavailable.

In the future, it would be a benefit for VMware to improve on the Storage vMotion feature by making it become faster between host. It takes a lot of time to transfer files between hosts currently.

I have been using the solution for six years.

The solution is very stable.

The scalability in my experience is good.

I was not at the company when they did the deployment of vSphere version 5.5 but I did do the deployment of a host on version 6.7, which is quite straightforward.

The pricing is reasonable and you are able to purchases licencing for certain time frame intervals, monthly, yearly etc.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend the solution to others working in IT.

I would give the solution a nine but the vMotion feature takes too long for transferring files between stored data sources.

I rate VMware vSphere an eight out of ten.

Maan Othman
Senior System Engineer at a comms service provider with 201-500 employees
Feature-rich, easy to install, stable, with good support
  • "It is easy to use."
  • "They have multiple components required for the setup. It would be better to integrate it into one solution, especially for small business companies."

What is our primary use case?

We are resellers of VMware products. We sell both VMware vSphere and VMware vSAN.

This solution is used for infrastructure virtualization. It is deployed to get the most benefits of our hardware or for the user's hardware.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to use.

The features are very rich.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see it more open to working with other platforms.

They could improve the pricing. The license could be cheaper.

I have been acquainted with vSphere for two years.

It's a stable product.

It's a scalable solution. We have between 10 and 20 users.

Technical support is fine.

The initial setup is straightforward.

Depending on the environment, it can take a couple of days to complete the installation and configuration.

We have a team of two engineers to complete the entire setup.

It's a perpetual license paid on a yearly basis.

A customer can buy a license and support on a yearly basis.

The pricing should be more flexible and more affordable for the customer.

What other advice do I have?

I can recommend vSphere to other users who are looking into implementing it.

I would rate VMware vSphere an eight out of ten.

Michael Ogunlade
Head of enterprise systems at Fidelity Bank Plc
Good dynamic resource scheduling and fault tolerance capabilities
  • "Its dynamic resource scheduling and its fault tolerance capabilities are two features that I've found to be valuable. I also like that VMware vSphere is stable, scalable, and easy to install."
  • "I would like to see improvements in simplifying automation, cloud native deployment, administration, and fault resolution."

What is our primary use case?

It's used as a private cloud, and currently, we operate the original enterprise infrastructure. For VMware, a majority of the workload is posted on VMware, and it's posted on the HCI solution.

What is most valuable?

Its dynamic resource scheduling and its fault tolerance capabilities are two features that I've found to be valuable. I also like that VMware vSphere is stable, scalable, and easy to install.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see improvements in simplifying automation, cloud native deployment, administration, and fault resolution.

I've been using VMware vSphere since 2008.

My impression is that it's a very stable solution.

I believe that VMware vSphere is scalable.

The customer service and technical support were fine.

We used Hyper-V, which is a Microsoft product.

It was easy to install. We performed a complete deployment because it was a full MCI, so it required some architecture. I believe it took about a month.

I used consultants for the implementation process because it was a refresh project.

I currently use the yearly licensing option, and I think that the pricing is fine for this solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution at 9, on a scale from one to ten.

Director Global Security at a outsourcing company with 10,001+ employees
Flexible, good scalability, and it brings stability to our workloads
  • "The most valuable features are stability and support."
  • "I would like to see support for endpoint virtualization."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is server virtualization and it brings stability to our workloads.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are stability and support. The stability of this product is very good, and I have not seen an issue for many years. It is very stable for all of the features that are available today.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see support for endpoint virtualization.

Another thing that I would like to see are improvements with respect to performance.

I have been using VMware vSphere for at least seven or eight years.

The stability is very good and should be a top priority for choosing this product.

This is definitely a scalable product and it is used in a virtualized environment.

The support is very good and we have had no issues with them.

Compared to other products, vSphere is number one in terms of flexibility and scalability.

Pricing is a little bit on the higher side, compared to other products.

What other advice do I have?

Basically, this is a good solution and most of the features are already there. I can recommend it to others. That said, I would like to see better performance.

Hybrid Cloud
IT Chief with 201-500 employees
Provides great backup and is extremely reliable
  • "Provides good backup to our servers."
  • "It's an expensive solution."

What is our primary use case?

We are a construction business and this solution enables us to securely operate our technology. We are customers of VMware vSphere and I'm the company's head of IT.

How has it helped my organization?

We have many power outages and VMware is very reliable in terms of dealing with that kind of experience on a regular basis.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the reliability for our own servers, the backup of the information on our servers.

What needs improvement?

The main issue for us is the cost of the solution.

I've been using this solution for four years.

The stability is fine - we need to upgrade our hardware and that is currently an issue.

We currently have 25 employees using this solution with another 20 users who work remotely.
We have two people managing vSphere.

Our experience with technical support has been very good.

We previously used SAN products and we've recently decided that we're going to move to Nutanix.

The initial setup was straightforward with deployment taking two weeks. We had an independent integrator who was responsible for this and they did a good job.

What other advice do I have?

This is a very good product for small business or community organizations.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Download our free VMware vSphere Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.