IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
Software Developer at BOLDATA SYSTEMS LTD
Fairly priced with an easy initial setup and good stability
  • "We find the pricing is reasonable."
  • "The monitoring could be a bit better."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used for business continuity. We use it for backups.

What is most valuable?

The backup capabilities are very good.

We find the ability to allow for business continuity to be very helpful. Our systems are not very stable, where we come from here in Kenya. There can be serious problems very often. There are many incidents and businesses can just collapse. The peace of mind of having a backup on hand is critical.

The initial setup is very simple.

The solution is stable.

The product is quite scalable.

Technical support is very good.

We find the pricing is reasonable.

What needs improvement?

I'm not sure if I have seen any area that needs improvement. I'm not overly technical, and I personally haven't had any real issues.

The monitoring could be a bit better.

I've used the solution for about a year or so.

Veritas NetBackup Appliance
July 2022
Learn what your peers think about Veritas NetBackup Appliance. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
620,319 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is very stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The solution is mature and very scalable. It's not a problem to expand.

As an established brand, Veritas has a very good technical support team. We are quite pleased with the level of service provided. They are helpful and supportive. The staff is knowledgeable.

It's my understanding that the initial setup is straightforward. I have not seen anything about the solution that would make the process overly complex.

The pricing is fair. It's not overly expensive.

What other advice do I have?

At the moment, I don't have any relationship with the company, however, I would like to be a reseller and implementer.

I mainly handle consultancy on business continuity. I look at products to propose to my customers on business continuity, storage, and backups.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

Pradeep Kabbur - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Lead at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
MSP
A great solution for deploying and backing up data
  • "The reporting is very good compared to other tools."
  • "The hybrid model is not that efficient if we want to off-site data; it takes a lot of time to upload the data on a regular basis."

What is our primary use case?

We have a library attached that we back up and store off-site, on a weekly basis.

It only offers NDMP backup capabilities, we follow a traditional method. Mostly, we are creating backups of NetApp's shares.

How has it helped my organization?

We think the latest products and hybrid solutions are great, but considering the amount of data backup we have to perform — hundreds of BB data —, the hybrid model is not that efficient if we want to off-site data; it takes a lot of time to upload the data on a regular basis.

What is most valuable?

The reporting is very good compared to other tools. Even though Commvault has some better features, the Veeam/Veritas center is a very good feature; it's really helpful for our reporting purposes. To clarify, I am referring to Veeam and Veritas NetBackup, as we have applied them both.

What needs improvement?

Because Veritas NetBackup Appliance is integrated with the cloud, it's hard to say. The block-level backup features could be improved.

I have been using this solution for three years.

This solution is both scalable and stable. Everyone in our company uses it and there are no issues.

The technical support is very good; I would give them a nine out of ten.

They have a standard two-hour response time but sometimes the response times vary. That needs to change.

We have been using Veritas NetBackup Appliance for a long time and never switched. Initially, we were using NetBackup.

The integration was easy.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, Veritas is a good solution; the problem is the cost. For a large enterprise, it's great.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of eight.

Veritas NetBackup Appliance
July 2022
620,319 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Giap Seng  Tay - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior IT Manager at a maritime company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Excellent support, feature-rich, and suitable for enterprise environments
  • "It has a lot of very good features. The virtual tape library (VTL) feature is most valuable. Overall, it is easy to use."
  • "Feature-wise, it is quite good, but it is very costly. Its price has gone up quite significantly over the years, and that makes people like us look at alternatives."

What is most valuable?

It has a lot of very good features. The virtual tape library (VTL) feature is most valuable. Overall, it is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

Feature-wise, it is quite good, but it is very costly. Its price has gone up quite significantly over the years, and that makes people like us look at alternatives.

I have been using this solution for more than 10 years.

Its stability is very good.

Its scalability is very good. We have installed it for hundreds of servers.

Their technical support is excellent.

It is quite easy. It is not super easy. We have a lot of different environments. Some of them are quite challenging, but the common environment is quite easy.

It is not good for small environments. It is good for huge and complex enterprise environments, and at the end of the day, you get an ROI. I don't recommend it for small environments because out of 50 features, you probably need only two or three features, but you have to pay for all the features. That's why it doesn't suit small environments. You see a return on investment in very complex, multi-platform environments.

We pay annually. It is a huge figure for us.

What other advice do I have?

It is probably among the top solutions. It has the most features that are there in the market, but its price is making us look at alternatives. We are looking at some of the other options, but we haven't explored many. We are open, and we are evaluating all of them.

I would rate it an eight out of 10.

Junior Database Administrator at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
A heterogeneous backup and recovery suite with a useful policy-based backup feature
  • "The policy-based backup feature is very helpful."
  • "The reporting feature can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use Veritas NetBackup Appliance to backup virtual machines from VMware and Oracle Databases.

What is most valuable?

The policy-based backup feature is very helpful. We don't really use many other features, but we're looking to use more.

What needs improvement?

The reporting feature can be improved. At the moment, we can't acquire the exact information we need from NetBackup. We're looking to improve it on the new system. If I were to look at it performance-wise or storage-wise, it's really complicated to see what's going on. I heard that there's an additional software for that problem, but I didn't really examine it.

We've been using Veritas NetBackup Appliance for about four years.

Veritas NetBackup Appliance is fairly stable. There were one or two errors in one backup, and we don't know what caused it. Overall, it's been a good experience.

Scalability is very good.

I think they're helping us as much as possible, but they're just saying the problem is with our setup or maybe the internet, or something else. Those problems aren't with them. They say that it's with us, but we can't figure out the problem.

I would tell potential users that it's only worth it if they can use all the features.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Veritas NetBackup Appliance an eight.

Aziz Serbouti - PeerSpot reviewer
General Manager at curetech
A stable solution with professional technical support, but it is too expensive
  • "NetBackup is based on really good architectural hardware, and Veritas has the best backup and replication technology in the world."
  • "The price needs to be improved because it is really expensive."

How has it helped my organization?

We have heard from many of our customers that they are very satisfied with NetBackup. Also, our technical engineer is very satisfied with the options and with the flexibility of the system, as it can be integrated into many hardware and software technologies.

What is most valuable?

NetBackup is based on really good architectural hardware, and Veritas has the best backup and replication technology in the world.

What needs improvement?

The price needs to be improved because it is really expensive.

I have been working with Veritas NetBackup Appliance for approximately four years.

We have not had any problems with stability.

There are between 40 and 50 users.

The technical support is good. The team in Morocco are very professional and they help us every time, with no problem.

I would also recommend using Nakivo because it is a competitive product. It handles replication well.

However, if the customer wants an appliance then I recommend Veritas because it is more stable and more efficient.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, this is a good product but it is very expensive.

I would rate this solution a four out of ten.

Senior Infrastructure Consultant at FORUM INTERNATIONAL
Easy to administer, good technical support, and stable

What is our primary use case?

We use Veritas NetBackup Appliance for backing up data for many environments, such as system backups.

What is most valuable?

This is a good backup interconversion solution because all the masters and the targets backups are on the same system. It is easy to administrate for a single point of access for clients.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by providing more integration and security.

I have been using this solution for more than five years.

The solution is stable and performs well.

We have approximately five customers using this solution.

The technical support is good. They have been responsive.

The installation is easy and took approximately one week.

We did the implementation ourselves with two engineers and one project manager.

There is a license required for this solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution.

I rate Veritas NetBackup Appliance an eight out of ten.

Senior Software Engineer at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reliable, plenty of features, and scalable
  • "There are a lot of new features that operate to protect the data from ransomware attacks. They launched the Veritas/Appliances to protect our data. Veritas has been doing its job well."

What is most valuable?

There are a lot of new features that operate to protect the data from ransomware attacks. They launched the Veritas/Appliances to protect our data. Veritas has been doing its job well.

I have used Veritas NetBackup Appliance within the last 12 months.

Veritas NetBackup Appliance is stable.

I have found Veritas NetBackup Appliance to be scalable.

They provide a good level of support.

The initial setup is straightforward.

This solution is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

The main difference between Veritas Netbackup and NetBackup Appliance is the NetBackup Appliance provides the built-up system. They have one operating system and they have their own storage in the network of the appliances. We can use our external storage. For example, we can use our storage from Dell, IBM, any other vendor. These are the main differences, with Appliances, everything is in-built.

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Veritas NetBackup Appliance an eight out of ten.

Ahmed Sabry - PeerSpot reviewer
    Team Leader at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Consumes minimal resources and has good fiber channel transport system

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for backup and visualization. We are customers of Veritas.

What is most valuable?

I like the fiber channel transport, and that the solution can make it a media server. It saves us a lot of resources, unlike other products which consume a lot of resources.

What needs improvement?

The price for Veritas is very high and I'd like to see that reduced.

I've been using this solution for seven years.

The solution is stable.

This is a scalable solution.

Technical support could be improved, the knowledge base is quite low and it's complicated to deal with them.

The initial setup is very easy, it took around two hours. We used a Veritas consultant. We deal with the maintenance ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution.

I rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Download our free Veritas NetBackup Appliance Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: July 2022