IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
Tom Bruce - PeerSpot reviewer
Co-founder & Delivery Lead at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
An extremely stable and easy-to-set-up solution with valuable features like cloning and data sharing
  • "The cloning functionality has been the most valuable. I have been able to completely copy databases. The data sharing concept is also useful. As compared to, for example, SAP, Snowflake is a lot more open, and it allows a lot more connectivity for other providers than an SAP ecosystem."
  • "It needs a bit more rigor and governance, which is something you don't get with newer tools. This makes it less enterprise scalable. Its governance and structure can be enhanced, which would really be valuable. I would like to see some kind of prebuilt functionality in terms of having almost like a pre-built data warehouse. A functionality for generating automated kind of pieces would be good."

What is our primary use case?

I work for a company that are Snowflake partners and help clients implement solutions using Snowflake.

How has it helped my organization?

Snowflake solves many of the challenges that traditional data warehousing tools have such as a lack of agility, scalability and fine-tuning.

What is most valuable?

The use of micropartitions and metadata means that there is very little management needed and the user can focus purely on actually getting value out of their data. In addition, the cloning feature makes problem resolution and cutover extremely pain-free.

What needs improvement?

Whilst flexibility is one of its key strengths, it would be useful if there could be some better governance built into the product. In addition, functionality out of the box to deal with common data warehousing scenarios (e.g. slowly-changing dimensions etc.) would be great.
Snowflake
June 2022
Learn what your peers think about Snowflake. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
609,272 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using Snowflake for about a year and a half.

It is extremely stable.

The support from Snowflake is absolutely great. All kinds of content and things are available to support yourself as well as to be able to talk through issues and have their engineers take a look at the problems. They are very responsive.

We use Snowflake alongside other data warehousing tools. Ultimately it depends on what the client wants to implement and their existing architecture as to what would be the best choice.

The initial setup is very straightforward.

Snowflake has a very efficient pricing mechanism where you only pay for what you use by the second making it very easy to control costs.

What other advice do I have?

The best advice I would give is to push for a POC. Pick a couple of use cases where you think you could quickly get value and just see how quickly you can get it implemented. One of the key features of Snowflake is that you can get it up and running straight away.
Associate Manager at a consultancy with 501-1,000 employees
A secure and fast solution with inbound and outbound share features and good integrations
  • "Its performance is a big advantage. When you run a query, its performance is very good. The inbound and outbound share features are also very useful for sharing a particular database. By using these features, you can allow others to access the Snowflake database and query it, which is another advantage of this solution. It has good security, and we can easily integrate it. We can connect it with multiple source systems."
  • "I am still in the learning stage. It has good security, but it can always be more secure."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for our security products. We have a trial account, and we are using the trial database and practicing on top of it. We have the latest version of this solution.

What is most valuable?

Its performance is a big advantage. When you run a query, its performance is very good.

The inbound and outbound share features are also very useful for sharing a particular database. By using these features, you can allow others to access the Snowflake database and query it, which is another advantage of this solution.

It has good security, and we can easily integrate it. We can connect it with multiple source systems.

What needs improvement?

I am still in the learning stage. It has good security, but it can always be more secure.

I have been using this solution for a few months. I am in the learning stage.

It is stable. Its performance is very good.

It is scalable. We have four users who are using Snowflake.

We are going through the online version, and we don't find any difficulty with this.

I also use Azure. Snowflake has more advantages than Azure.

There is no installation as such. After you register with Snowflake, you get a demo database, which you can configure and use. It only takes around 30 minutes.

I did it myself.

Currently, we have a trial account, so we don't need a license. After our project starts, we would need a permanent license.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. We plan to keep using it.

I would rate Snowflake a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud

Other
Snowflake
June 2022
609,272 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Sr Lead Data & Information Architect at a pharma/biotech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Easy to use, flexible, and very stable
  • "The solution is very easy to use."
  • "The solution needs more connectors."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used as a data warehouse.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to use.

The product is very stable and flexible. The performance is good.

The product is quite scalable.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to offer more functionality related to machine learning and artificial intelligence.

The solution needs more connectors.

I've been using the solution for close to two years.

The solution is very stable and extremely reliable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. The performance is very good.

The scalability of the solution is very good. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so with ease.

We have about 100 people on the product currently.

Technical support overall has been good. They are helpful and responsive. We have no complaints.

I have some experience with Teradata.

There is no installation process, as it is run as software as a service on the cloud.

For deployment, I would say two to five people would be enough. It depends on the size of the project and can have from one person to 20 people supporting it. It really depends on the implementation. The people would likely be admins, engineers, and managers.

The product requires the purchase of an annual license.

Before choosing this solution, we looked at SQL Server and Teradata.

What other advice do I have?

We're customers and end-users.

We're using the latest version of the solution. I can't speak to the exact version number.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We've been mostly very happy with its capabilities.

I'd recommend the solution to other users and companies.

Hussain Modu - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Lead at Wipro Limited
Allows us to connect to the database and import required tables into our system
  • "This is the advanced version of the cloud version, so it's really a flexible tool. If you have it implemented at home, you can access it from anywhere."
  • "These aren't as crucial, but there are common errors sometimes where the database is down, or a table is nullified and a new table is added and you are not given access to that. With those errors, you don't have permissions."

What is our primary use case?

We're using Snowflake for Power BI Cloud. We had a cloud version of Snowflake, so we were connecting to the Snowflake database and importing required tables into our system, Power BI Desktop. From there, we linked those tables and created a semantic layer, an internal layer between the frontend and backend, and then we tuned the data. Then we used both the tables to tie into the dashboards that we developed. The dashboards show the sales information or marketing information.

It's a cloud solution.

What is most valuable?

I like the entire database. This is the advanced version of the cloud version, so it's really a flexible tool. If you have it implemented at home, you can access it from anywhere.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes when I'm trying to refresh the data, my different application or tool has to connect to its backend database through the connection I create. Sometimes, I face some issues like not having permissions. These aren't as crucial, but there are common errors sometimes where the database is down, or a table is nullified and a new table is added and you are not given access to that. With those errors, you don't have permissions.

I have been using Snowflake for a year.

It's stable.

The scalability is good. It handles a lot of data, and the processing speed is very high.

It's straightforward. You have to have a rule, database names, and a schema name.

When somebody deploys it and gives me the URL and the required tables to use, I use the URL and configure it from the frontend side, reporting side that could be more like Power BI or Tableau, and I start using it.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 8 out of 10.

ML Lead at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Well-distributed with different data engines, great stability and scalability, and easy to deploy
  • "It is a very well-distributed system. It has different data engines for different applications. Many applications can use different computational engines at the same time. In terms of data processing, the feeling was similar to working with a relational database but in a scalable way."
  • "The scheduling system can definitely be better because we had to use external airflow for that. There should be orchestration for the scheduling system. Snowflake currently does not support machine learning, so it is just storage. They also need some alternatives for SQL Query. There should also be support for Spark in different languages such as Python."

What is our primary use case?

It was used in my previous company for a massive data warehouse. It was used for events and actions from other data sources. We had its latest version.

What is most valuable?

It is a very well-distributed system. It has different data engines for different applications. Many applications can use different computational engines at the same time. In terms of data processing, the feeling was similar to working with a relational database but in a scalable way.

What needs improvement?

The scheduling system can definitely be better because we had to use external airflow for that. There should be orchestration for the scheduling system. Snowflake currently does not support machine learning, so it is just storage.

They also need some alternatives for SQL Query. There should also be support for Spark in different languages such as Python.

I worked on it a lot in the past 12 months in my previous company.

Its stability is absolutely great. There are no problems with its stability.

It is scalable. There are no problems with the scalability of this solution. There were 50 or 60 users using it at the same time.

I don't have much experience with their technical support. When we asked them some technical questions related to Spark integration, they were quite supportive. Their support was fine.

I have used BigQuery on Google Cloud Platform and Spark on an internal cloud.

It was quite straightforward. There is no problem with that. However, managing the database and roles and access is complicated. Its deployment didn't take a long time.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Snowflake an eight out of ten.

General Manager of Data Science at a non-profit with 501-1,000 employees
Good data ingestion capability, scalable based on the requirement, and very stable
  • "The ETL and data ingestion capabilities are better in this solution as compared to SQL Server. SQL Server doesn't do much data ingestion, but Snowflake can do it quite conveniently."
  • "They need to improve its ETL functionality so that Snowflake becomes an ETL product. Snowpipe can do some pipelines and data ingestion, but as compare to Talend, these functionalities are limited. The ETL feature is not good enough. Therefore, Snowflake can only be used as a database. You can't use it as an ETL tool, which is a limitation. We have spoken to the vendor, and they said they are working on it, but I'm not sure when they will bring it to production."

What is most valuable?

The ETL and data ingestion capabilities are better in this solution as compared to SQL Server. SQL Server doesn't do much data ingestion, but Snowflake can do it quite conveniently.

What needs improvement?

They need to improve its ETL functionality so that Snowflake becomes an ETL product. Snowpipe can do some pipelines and data ingestion, but as compare to Talend, these functionalities are limited. The ETL feature is not good enough. Therefore, Snowflake can only be used as a database. You can't use it as an ETL tool, which is a limitation. We have spoken to the vendor, and they said they are working on it, but I'm not sure when they will bring it to production.

They should also make its initial setup easier. Its customization and configuration are not very straightforward.

Their technical support is awesome, but it is just too expensive.

I have been using this solution for about two years. I am currently using its latest version.

It is very stable.

It is very simple to scale up and down depending on the project or situation, which is an advantage.

They are fantastic but just too expensive. They charge hourly rates and are very expensive.

Its setup is not very straightforward. Its customization and configuration are not very straightforward. For two large data factories, the configuration is too complicated. They should work on it.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good solution. At the moment, I can't find another product that is better than Snowflake, but it needs better ETL functionality, easier configuration, and cheaper support. All products have got some limitation.

I would rate Snowflake an eight out of ten.

Solutions Architect-AI & ML at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Good performance and it is easy to write queries
  • "The querying speed is fast."
  • "We would like to have an on-premises deployment option that has the same features, including scalability."

What is our primary use case?

I work as a data scientist and our primary use of Snowflake is for machine learning.

Recently, we were trying to extract data to determine the best configuration settings for one of our products.

What is most valuable?

As it is SQL-like, it is easy to write queries.

The querying speed is fast.

What needs improvement?

I have been working with Snowflake for six or seven months.

From what I have seen and heard, I think that Snowflake is pretty stable. I haven't faced any such problems, myself. I am not aware of the entirety of the lifecycle, but I haven't heard any complaints.

My impression is that this product is pretty scalable.

I have not been in contact with technical support, although my team has been and they are okay with it. My impression is that they are good.

The pricing for Snowflake is competitive.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering implementing Snowflake is that from a user's standpoint, it is a good product. Having a database in a cloud setup means that you don't have to scale and it has got many features already included.

For our use case, we found this Snowflake was good enough and did not need any enhancements. I recommend using it.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Anoop Anoop SLK - PeerSpot reviewer
Enterprise architect at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
Ease to use, highly secure, and flexible
  • "I have found the solution's most valuable features to be storage, flexibility, ease of use, and security."
  • "There is a need for improvements in the documentation, this would allow more people to switch over to this solution."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for data warehouses and data modeling.

What is most valuable?

I have found the solution's most valuable features to be storage, flexibility, ease of use, and security.

What needs improvement?

There is a need for improvements in the documentation, this would allow more people to switch over to this solution. I would like to see in the future a wizard for data modelization automation.

We have been using this solution for approximately one year.

The solution is stable.

I have found the solution to be scalable. We have a few employees working on this solution in my organization.

The solution is a SaaS, it can be installed and managed by your provider. The installation setup is not difficult in this case. However, the configuration took us a couple of days.

We did the configuration of the solution ourselves. You need a data engineer and modeler for the movement of information into the solution.

There is a licensing for this solution and we purchased an enterprise license. Overall the solution is cost-effective.

We did evaluate some other solutions previously, such as Snap Analytics. All the different solution have their pros and cons. However, many are moving to this solution because it is in the cloud.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others and we are going to keep using the solution in the future.

I rate Snowflake an eight out of ten.

Download our free Snowflake Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: June 2022