Berik Sultanbekov - PeerSpot reviewer
CS engineer at AYACOM
Comes with the SOAR capability, integrates with Azure AD and other Microsoft solutions, and is easy to deploy
  • "The best functionality that you can get from Azure Sentinel is the SOAR capability. So, you can estimate any type of activity, such as when an alert was triggered or an incident was found."
  • "It would be good to have some connectors for third-party SIEM solutions. Many customers are struggling with the integration of Azure Sentinel with their on-premise SIEM. Microsoft is changing the log structure many times a year, which can corrupt a custom integration. It would be good to have some connectors developed by Microsoft or supply vendors, but they are not providing such functionality or tools."

What is our primary use case?

We are using mixed solutions. We are currently working with IBM solutions and Azure system services. We are using two SIEM solutions: Azure Sentinel and QRadar. Azure Sentinel is covering our cloud-based solutions, and QRadar is covering our on-premise solutions.

What is most valuable?

The best functionality that you can get from Azure Sentinel is the SOAR capability. So, you can estimate any type of activity, such as when an alert was triggered or an incident was found.

It integrates with Azure AD, Power BI, and other Microsoft solutions. It is very good in our view.

What needs improvement?

It can be expensive for customers. Currently, we are not using Sentinel to collect logs from on-premise devices. The main reason for that is the budget because you need to pay for the internet traffic. You also need to calculate how much you can upload to the Azure site.

I have been using this solution for one year.

Microsoft Sentinel
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Sentinel. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
655,113 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It is stable, but it is also related to your country. I'm working in Kazakhstan, and sometimes, we have some problems with the internet connection at the government level. Sometimes, for some reason, which could also be political, they disable the internet connection, and we lose the connection to the Azure environment. It might be good for our country to have a private link to the Azure cloud environment to avoid such cases.

We have a lot of Microsoft partners who are helping us. Therefore, support is not a problem for us.

We have QRadar for our on-premise solutions. QRadar has a lot of connectors out of the box. It has a lot of predefined and pre-deployed connectors that you can use.

QRadar also has a lot of good correlation rules. From a customer's point of view, it is one of the best solutions because you don't need to create correlation rules from scratch. You just review them and customize them as you want.

QRadar supports using SQL queries. Sentinel uses KQL, but you need to learn it from scratch.

QRadar doesn't have a SOAR system by default. You need to purchase it additionally, which is the main problem with QRadar.

It was easy.

We had some introduction to the system from a Microsoft Partner, but most of the analytics and playbooks were created by us.

For us, it is not expensive at this time, but if we start to collect all logs from our on-premise SIEM solutions, it will cost more than QRadar. If we calculate its cost over the next five or ten years, it will cost more than what we paid for QRadar.

What other advice do I have?

Microsoft is proposing an identity management solution for Azure Active Directory systems and the Azure Cloud system, but we need an on-premise solution that can help us achieve the same with, for example, IBM. I know that Microsoft has a cloud-based solution, and previously, Microsoft provided an on-premise solution, but it is deprecated or no longer supported. It will be good to have such a service on-premises.

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

KarimMabrouk - PeerSpot reviewer
System Engineer at Metsys
Enables us to protect the entire environment because it's based on machine learning
  • "The most valuable features are its threat handling and detection. It's a powerful tool because it's based on machine learning and on the behavior of malware."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to protect our Office 365 environment. We can also deploy it for the entire infrastructure, including on-premises, firewalls, and also users' devices.

I'm a partner with many customers using Sentinel. Some are small companies but I also have many banks that have implemented the solution.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped to improve security posture because it's based on machine learning. You can protect the whole environment. While other solutions are based on rules, and you have to put rules in place to protect things, Sentinel is smarter because of the machine learning.

For example, one of my customers is a bank that was attacked by ransomware. They were using Symantec and it could not detect the attack. When we put in Sentinel, within 15 minutes it detected the malware and stopped the attack.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are its threat handling and detection. It's a powerful tool because it's based on machine learning and on the behavior of malware.

I have been using Microsoft Sentinel for one and a half years.

It's a stable solution.

It's a cloud solution so Microsoft handles the scaling. We haven't had a problem with performance because Microsoft is in charge. It's done automatically.

It's definitely the best technical support. When you open a new ticket you get a response within a maximum of one hour. You can open a case with Microsoft 24/7.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

I used QRadar. I switched because QRadar is not smart and there was too much manual work.

It's easy to implement and not very hard to put it into production.

The deployment time depends on the customer's needs. It can be deployed in one hour. But if they have many end users and many servers, it can take one week. After that, you have to wait for the machine learning to learn the environment and start the detection.

The implementation strategy also depends on the environment. If it is an Office 365 environment, we can start by protecting email, the shares, and the docs. After that, we can move to the end-user machines. But it depends on the project.

Deployment and maintenance requires a maximum of three people. One would be an admin, one would be a security leader to maintain the solution, and the third would be a project manager. It also depends on the project, but in general, there will be two or three people involved.

It is certainly the most expensive solution. The cost is very high. We need to do an assessment using the one-month trial so that we can study the cost side. Before implementing it, we must do a careful calculation.

Something that could be improved is the documentation of the cost because there is none. All the other features are documented, but the pricing is not very clear.

The Office 365 connectors to Sentinel are free, as is the support.

Sentinel is generally the last option we go with because of the cost. Customers have their solutions but they contact us and say, "Okay, we have our solution but it's not smart. Can we move to Sentinel?"

What other advice do I have?

I recommend implementing Sentinel because it's certainly the most powerful SIEM tool. It detects all malware based on the behavior of many things, including the files and anomalies. It detects things automatically.

Microsoft Sentinel
    November 2022
    655,113 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Harsimran Sidhu - PeerSpot reviewer
    Security Analyst at SecureOps
    Has a fast log query feature and can detect what type of attack is occurring
    • "The log query feature has been the most valuable because it's very good. You can put your data on the cloud and run queues from Sentinel. It will do it all very fast. I love that I don't have to upload it to an Excel file and then manually look for a piece of information. Sentinel is much faster and is good for big databases."
    • "If I can use Sentinel offline at home and use it on a local network, it would be great. I'm not sure if I can use Sentinel offline versus the tools I have."

What is our primary use case?

We actually use it for queuing logs and checking log systems that we have downloading from other devices to see if there are any issues. For example, if we get an alert, then we triage it and query the logs and the devices that we're looking for.

How has it helped my organization?

Microsoft Sentinel has greatly increased our security. We can quickly complete our investigation by using Sentinel and get to the results and escalation points.

What is most valuable?

The log query feature has been the most valuable because it's very good. You can put your data on the cloud and run queues from Sentinel. It will do it all very fast. I love that I don't have to upload it to an Excel file and then manually look for a piece of information. Sentinel is much faster and is good for big databases.

Microsoft Sentinel is able to figure out what type of attack is occurring. It will tell you whether it is a DDoS attack, whether someone's trying to scam the site, or if someone is doing a group force attack. That is, Microsoft Sentinel will actually tell you what it is based on the type of activities it's seeing on the web server. It's a smart tool.

If I'm typing queries, it knows what I'm looking for.

What needs improvement?

If I can use Sentinel offline at home and use it on a local network, it would be great. I'm not sure if I can use Sentinel offline versus the tools I have.

I just started using Microsoft Sentinel and have used it for two months.

As for availability, I haven't seen any downtime or any issues with the services yet. The stability looks like it's 99.9% and is great.

I believe that Sentinel is good at scaling up their database or services. We are a large company with big data and have thousands of users.

I have used Splunk, which has similar log type of queries. I feel that Sentinel is smarter. It is able to detect what type of attacks are occurring, unlike Splunk, which is just a query log tool.

There's Elastic ELK, which is similar to Splunk, but it isn't a smart tool like Sentinel is.

Sentinel is at the top of the tools that I've used so far in terms of smart tools.

Pricing is pay-as-you-go with Sentinel, which is good because it all depends on the number of users and the number of devices to which you connect.

What other advice do I have?

If you're using the cloud and Azure, I would really recommend Sentinel as it will keep making sure that the devices that you have in your environment are safe. Sentinel is very smart at detecting what type of attack is occurring and is actually able to detect and tell us the type of hash file. It is is able to go on the internet, look at the virus total, and see if this is a virus, scam, or phishing. I like how it's able to detect it and how we can make it learn what type of spam or email issue query it is. So, it's a very adaptive type of tool.

I would rate Microsoft Sentinel at ten on a scale from one to ten.

Sr. Microsoft Solutions Specialist at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
    MSP
    A great service that provides an additional layer of protection and security for all on-prem and on-cloud data points
    • "One of the most valuable features is that it creates a kind of a single pane of glass for organizations that already use Microsoft software. So, when they have things like Microsoft 365, it is very easy for them to kind of plug in or enroll those endpoints into the Azure Sentinel service."
    • "I can't think of anything other than just getting the name out there. I think a lot of customers don't fully understand the full capabilities of Azure Sentinel yet. It is kind of like when they're first starting to use Azure, it might not be something they first think about. So, they should just kind of get to the point where it is more widely used."

What is our primary use case?

Our clients use it for just an overall health check and security check for their deployments, whether it's on-prem or in Azure. Azure Sentinel basically collects the data from any kind of endpoint or server that is enrolled in the service, irrespective of whether they are on-prem or in the cloud. It can be laptop servers, virtual machines. It is a cloud solution, but it does extend to on-prem deployment.

I have been using the most up-to-date version.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I can't think of anything other than just getting the name out there. I think a lot of customers don't fully understand the full capabilities of Azure Sentinel yet. It is kind of like when they're first starting to use Azure, it might not be something they first think about. So, they should just kind of get to the point where it is more widely used.

I have been using Azure Sentinel since it came out, so it has been at least a couple of years.

It is very stable. It has been around for a while, and it is a Microsoft product. So, it is pretty secure and pretty stable.

Like all Azure services, it is definitely very scalable. You can very easily and very quickly enroll devices and other data points into Azure.

Microsoft tech support is pretty good when it comes to Azure. It is really easy to open a ticket because you can do that right through the Azure portal. In addition, my company and other companies that kind of resell Azure services, oftentimes have our own help desk included with the consumption of Azure services. So, we have a 24/7 help desk that works on top of that. There are many managed services partners, like my company, that provide additional services in tech support on top of what Microsoft already has.

It is very straightforward.

It is kind of like a sliding scale. There are different tiers of pricing that go from $100 per day up to $3,500 per day. So, it just kind of depends on how much data is being stored. There can be additional costs to the standard license other than the additional data. It just kind of depends on what other services you're spinning up in Azure, or if you're using something like Azure log analytics.

What other advice do I have?

For any customers who are either looking at Azure or already have Azure or Microsoft 365, this is a great service to look at because it does provide an additional layer of protection and security for all of their data points, whether they are on-prem or in the cloud.

I would rate Azure Sentinel a nine out of 10.

System Engineer at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Makes it easy to monitor and keep a track record for vulnerabilities
    • "In Azure Sentinel, we have found, they do have a store in their capability. AI and intelligence features. We found that to be very helpful for us because some other things we do need to integrate again or find another vendor for the store"
    • "They could use some kind of workbook. There is some limitation doing the editing and creating the workbook."

What is our primary use case?

We use it on a public cloud. We have integrated Azure Lighthouse with Azure Sentinel Security. By integrating all of these, Azure Security Center and Azure Defender, we are providing an MSSP platform to our customers.

How has it helped my organization?

With other solutions, you see some restrictions for collecting the log from custom connectors. With Azure Sentinel, we do have some restrictions or sometimes we need to struggle with the connection, but there is no need to struggle with the log connection. There is 100% integration to your enterprise environment. This makes it easy to monitor and keep a track record for vulnerabilities and track whatever things are lurking in your network. They also have their custom alert tools, alerting the analytics team, where we can receive custom alerts based on our custom requirements. This has helped our organization a lot. Then with Azure Lighthouse, we can manage multiple customers with one platform, so on a single interface, we manage a number of customers that are using the Lighthouse service from the Azure.

What is most valuable?

In Azure Sentinel, we have found, they do have a store in their capability. AI and intelligence features. We found that to be very helpful for us because some other things we do need to integrate again or find another vendor for the store With Azure it is a built-in thing, so there is no need to go and search for another vendor or integrate your solution for the store with a third-party.

What needs improvement?

They could use some kind of workbook. There is some limitation doing the editing and creating the workbook. That would improve it. Sometimes you will find some network issue, and network error with the Azure Sentinel portal. That's the biggest drawback I found with the Sentinel. It would be great if would provide PIP platforms. They do have PI platforms but they don't have PIP.

My organization partners with Microsoft, so we are working on an MSSP with Azure.

The technical support for Azure Sentinel is quite good. You have one level up from the basic support so you will definitely get to Microsoft support directly and actually have a conversation with Microsoft technical guys for the support team and they will resolve your issues very quickly.

The setup for Azure Sentinel is very straightforward. You only need a subscription and for that subscription, you just need the admin roles. So if you are an admin and if you do have the Microsoft certification, you can make a Microsoft Azure account then it's very easy to setup and it's very easy to onboard the Sentinel.

What other advice do I have?

Azure Sentinel s actually quite handy, and very adaptive to the market trends. Anyone who is looking for the same store, creating their complete security solution for their enterprise, for the effective security solution, and for data integration, they must go with the Azure Sentinel as they are going to get everything in one place. I would rate Azure Sentinel at an eight on a scale of ten.

Senior Microsoft 365 Consultant at The Collective Consulting
    Quick to set up with good automation and integrates well with Microsoft products
    • "Sentinel uses Azure Logic Apps for automation, which is really powerful. This allows us to easily automate responses to incidents."
    • "The solution should allow for a streamlined CI/CD procedure."

What is our primary use case?

We are running an MDR service for our customers and use Azure Sentinel as the SIEM product to allow us to have an overview of all our customers, but also to easily push configurations to different customers.

We use Azure Sentinel as an alert aggregator to import all of the incidents/alerts from the different (Microsoft) security products in order to have a single pane of glass. On top of that, we create our own custom Analytics Rule that can be used to add our own added value. This enables us to create our own IP to protect customers.

How has it helped my organization?

It's really convenient for us to aggregate the logs/alerts from all our customers into a single pane of glass. By using the automation capabilities, it's relatively easy to sync all incidents to our ITSM tool which we can use to follow up on incidents. As it's based on the Microsoft stack, it's convenient for our engineers to learn the product. As Azure Sentinel is also a big focus for Microsoft, we have the ability to work with them on certain products. This creates visibility within the community and for new customers.

What is most valuable?

There are three valuable aspects of the solution: MSSP support, integration with Microsoft, and Automation. By using Azure Lighthouse, an MSSP can easily integrate their applications into their own baseline of policies/configurations.

Because Sentinel is built as an MS-first product, it integrates natively with other Microsoft products, which is really convenient as we are standardized on it. Without much work, you can connect any Microsoft product to it.

Last, but not least, Sentinel uses Azure Logic Apps for automation, which is really powerful. This allows us to easily automate responses to incidents.

What needs improvement?

Azure Sentinel is constantly growing. Throughout the two years we have been using it, we have seen it expand tremendously. A lot of the limitations we had originally seen have already been mitigated. A couple of potential improvements could be: allow for a streamlined CI/CD procedure. Now it's a combination of using API/Powershell and ARM which is not ideal. Also, it should allow us to ingest on-prem logs by using a SaaS platform to ingest CEF/Syslog logs that also allow for prefiltering. This would allow us to minimize the cost of the solution.

I've been using the solution for 1.5 years.

We didn't use another SIEM product before Azure Sentinel.

The cost can be a little confusing at first, but the Azure calculator is a great place to start. I would advise to start with integrating Microsoft products first, as this is the most convenient way forward and allows you to learn the product as you go.

In general, Azure Sentinel can be set up really quickly.

Microsoft Azure
    Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a Microsoft partner
    Sami Isoaho - PeerSpot reviewer
    Principal Cloud Architect at Viria Security Oy
    UI-based analytics are excellent; great tools for cleaning data
    • "The UI-based analytics are excellent."
    • "The on-prem log sources still require a lot of development."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for analyzing Microsoft cloud-based log services and for security data. The services include Microsoft 365, Azure Security Center logs and Microsoft cache logs. We are gold security partners with Azure.

What is most valuable?

The UI-based analytics are excellent, it's something I haven't seen with any other SIEM products. Microsoft has excellent tools for cleaning data, sorting out irrelevant log data and even fixing log data.

What needs improvement?

There's not much that needs improvement but the on-prem log sources still require a lot of development. It's clear that there are limitations there. I also think that the implementation and on-prem data sources could be done in a better way. We've used some functions with Python and whole scripting on FortiSIEM, which is something that Microsoft could easily provide, but so far hasn't.

The product has been very reliable. I don't know that there have been any service outbreaks. We haven't had any problems.

We have 700 users and from our perspective, it has unlimited processing power, but this is quite common for cloud services. I think the scalability has to be some kind of ABM and feeding all of the log stats, which could possibly have limits, but Azure has huge computing power behind it.

The support is good, the only issue is getting past the level one people who ask if you've tried rebooting. If you have Microsoft's Unified Support, the most expensive support, then you'll be very happy. It's not the best support in the industry, but it's pretty good and they also support Sentinel.

The initial setup was extremely straightforward. It was the easiest I have seen because it's an SaaS service. I think anybody can do it by just clicking and clicking and saying yes. Straight out of the box and that's the strength of the SaaS service because there's no installation, you just use it.

We compared Azure to Splunk and to our current mainstream implementation, FortiSIEM. If you have a lot of security data, then you feel that Azure is quite expensive but it's nowhere near as costly as Splunk which is four or five times more expensive. FortiSIEM wasn't good enough and Splunk was way to expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution. If you have cloud-based workloads and different cloud or cloud lookalike services that require security data, or if you are looking for SOAR functionalities, then it's a no brainer. It's the best in that market. On the other hand, if you are mainly working and operating with on-prem stuff then there's no advantage over FortiSIEM or other solutions.

I rate this solution a nine out of 10.

SOC Analyst at a wholesaler/distributor with 10,001+ employees
    Scalable and offers good pricing but needs a better user interface
    • "The pricing of the product is excellent."
    • "The interface could be more user-friendly. It''s a small improvement that they could make if they wanted to."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is the same use case as Splunk.

Requirements differ. We're still doing fine-tuning. However, lots of users are added to its security group to note activities.

What is most valuable?

So far, the solution has been perfect.

The pricing of the product is excellent.

So far, we have found the stability to be very good.

The solution, as a SIEM tool, has very good integration capabilities, at least, according to our needs.

What needs improvement?

We have just recently migrated to this product. We haven't used it long enough to note all of the features. Therefore, it would be impossible to note what is lacking just yet.

We've recently migrated to this solution. We've only been using it for a month.

The stability of the product is very good. It doesn't have bugs. It's not glitchy. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's been reliable so far.

As a Microsoft product, customers get scalability and elasticity. We have policies in place, and, based on them, we can upgrade if we need to. A company shouldn't have issues scaling should they have the need to expand.

Only the security team uses this product. It's not accessible for every user. We have a team of about 20.

We have just invested in the solution, and therefore we have plans to use it for the foreseeable future.

We do have access to support, and if we need them, we can call on them. However, the solution is so new, we have yet to need their services. Therefore, I can't speak to their level of responsiveness or knowledgeability just yet.

The installation is very straightforward and easy. It's not complex. It's a cloud deployment, and therefore, it is very quick. You just connect the APIs to the data center.

The product is extremely cost-effective and affordable for customers.

I'm more on the technical side. Therefore, I don't have any insights into the actual cost or the structure of the license.

We looked at Splunk as well and compared to that solution, this one is less expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We're using the latest version of the solution.

Choosing this solution was a management decision. Due to cost-effectiveness, they opted for Azure Sentinel.

Whether this product would work for another organization or not depends on the company's requirements.

As it is still very early in terms of our experience with the solution, I would rate the product at a six out of ten.

Download our free Microsoft Sentinel Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: November 2022