IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
Head-IT/SAP at Barista Coffee Company Ltd.
Easy to enable and activate but could be more secure
  • "Defender is a part of Windows; you just need to enable it. There is no need to install anything."
  • "The solution could always be more secure."

What is our primary use case?

Defender is basically a protective seal that is used to protect your Windows applications. Whenever you enable it your system is safe. You feel safe and your data and your security are verified by Defender and protected by the Defender seal.

What is most valuable?

It's quite good for security. We are using Windows 11 and Windows 10. In Windows 11, Defender is very, very strong. They built in good features, good seals. Earlier, ransomware protection was not there. However, now, new ransomware protection is also available in Defender.

The solution is stable.

What needs improvement?

The solution could always be more secure.

The solution is very stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

Microsoft Defender for Endpoint
July 2022
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Defender for Endpoint. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
620,068 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The scalability is totally based on your OS operating system as it's a part of the OS. You can't define it in a different way. If your Windows platform is working fine and is of a certain size, then you can say that it's quite good and it will cover that.

We have 200 to 300 people using the solution. Some of our employees use Windows and have Defender. Others use Mac devices.

We've used technical support in the past and don't have anything negative to say about their services.

There isn't really an installation process. It's already a part of Windows and just needs to be activated. You can install Windows in home or business devices and have Defender at your fingertips immediately.

While you don't need a technical team to install it per se, every organization has an IT team that likely would be able to install Windows and everything else. We have a 40-plus IT team. Everybody has a defined role.

We handled the implementation in-house using our IT team.

The solution is included with Microsoft Office 365 subscriptions.

What other advice do I have?

New users who are leveraging Microsoft can decide if they want to use Defender. It's already there - you can either activate it or not, depending on your preference. It's nice that you have a choice. Many companies find Defender is enough for them, however, if you want more security, you may be able to add other firewalls or security features to your existing infrastructure.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

Senior Consultant at a marketing services firm with 11-50 employees
Low impact on endpoints with an easy setup and fast technical support
  • "The intelligence mechanisms are good."
  • "The detection of viruses could be a little bit better."

What is our primary use case?

The product is useful for projects, finding tech, and finding firewall actions on computers.

What is most valuable?

There's no impact on other applications. Most other solutions have more of a possibility of an impact on other applications and due to that, you must make some special configurations to those other applications. The Microsoft Defender impact is very small.

The intelligence mechanisms are good.

The initial setup is easy.

We have found the technical support to be helpful.

What needs improvement?

The detection of viruses could be a little bit better.

We've used the solution for maybe two years.

Our company is only a small company. We only have 10 people who use the solution. However, we have clients who have a lot of users.

We likely will increase usage in the future.

We've been in touch with technical support. Their level of support is fine and they are very fast. We are satisfied with their level of service.

We had some problem and, after four hours, we had new signatures for the environment by our customers for more than a thousand clients so that we can protect and improve the new setup. It was a very quick turnaround.

The initial setup is not difficult. It's simple. We have just rolled it out to 6,000 clients which have been, by far, more than other customers we've had so far. We have deployed a Microsoft configuration.

In the environment, we needed one or two days to deploy it. In smaller environments, you only need two hours of work.

It can be done by technical personnel in-house. If they have good knowledge of Microsoft environments, and how to use Microsoft tools, then it's easy.

It's always good if you know how to use OutShare. With OutShare, you can make many things extremely effective and extremely easy.

It is possible to handle it in-house if you have a knowledgeable team. We implement the solution for our clients.

Clients need to pay a yearly licensing fee.

What other advice do I have?

This is an on-premise solution where all connections have a cloud connection.

I would recommend the solution to other companies. I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

Microsoft Defender for Endpoint
July 2022
620,068 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Owner at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
A cloud delivered endpoint security solution that defends against various threats
  • "The primary advantage is that you don't need to install it. It's included in the Windows 10 delivery."
  • "Some integration components for Mac should be added. We use both Windows 10 desktops and Mac desktops, but presently, the Mac component is still lagging a bit behind."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution and we also implement it for customers. We mainly use it for its anti-malware and threat protection capabilities. If a client comes to us who uses Office 365, then we suggest this solution.

At the moment we have between 10 to 50 customers.

We definitely plan to keep using this solution. We're currently just pushing out all other solutions because they're not integrated and they have additional deployment costs. The only thing which is a bit peculiar is that you need to convince the customer that you're not talking about an antivirus solution. If we do, then they end up comparing things that are incomparable.

What is most valuable?

It's part of the Microsoft 365 suite, so it's integrated. We also use it for collaboration with other components within the suite. These two things are the most important for us at the moment.

What needs improvement?

Some integration components for Mac should be added. We use both Windows 10 desktops and Mac desktops, but presently, the Mac component is still lagging a bit behind. However, I think this is a temporary case.

I have been using Microsoft Defender for roughly one year.

On Mac, it's quite unstable and unusable; however, it's very stable for Windows. We're content with what it does and how it works.

It's on the cloud, so scalability is not an issue.

We've had no problems with customer support.

There's no installation to be done on the device itself, so it's quite easy. Configuration takes roughly two to three days.

Our company acts as both a consultant and integrator.

Licensing options vary. Some customers buy it as an enterprise agreement and pay yearly. Others buy it as a CSP, so they pay per month. It completely depends on the customer's needs.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of nine. Some integration components on Mac should be improved. It should be more stable on Mac. If they fixed this, I would give it a rating of ten.

Specialist Consultant in Microsoft Security at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
The tamper protection keeps hackers from entering a machine, encrypting it, and changing passwords
  • "Auto-remediation: When the product sees malware, it resolves the issue immediately. This protects the machine."
  • "It needs to improve the cybersecurity for lateral movements. For example, when a hacker tries to enter a machine, they try to get the password by doing a lateral movement."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for antivirus. You can use it for malware and Zero Trust. Some people use it for fact-checking too. I can also use it with Intune, which is good.

We deploy Microsoft Defender on all kinds of devices, including Microsoft, iOS, and Mac.

What is most valuable?

I like the tamper protection. For example, if I buy a notebook with Windows 10 and put Microsoft Defender on it, then I can activate the tamper protection. This keeps people from entering the machine, encrypting it, and changing passwords.

Microsoft Defender is fully integrated with Azure Sentinel. In addition, GPO can be connected with Microsoft Defender and Azure AD.

What needs improvement?

It needs to improve the cybersecurity for lateral movements. For example, when a hacker tries to enter a machine, they try to get the password by doing a lateral movement.

With Windows 10, version 18.0.3, I couldn't see the documentation to open the ports. If you don't open the ports, then the machine can't communicate with the console.

I like its stability a lot.

You push out all the devices that you want. There is no limitation beyond money and licenses.

In the past, I have used McAfee and Kaspersky.

I only work with Microsoft products right now. It integrates well with other products. I also work with Microsoft Defender for Identity.

The deployment process is not difficult because Microsoft Defender comes with Windows 10. You just right click, then it connects you with Azure.

There are other processes that can be connected, e.g., Microsoft Download Center.

I implement Microsoft Defender for Endpoint. It takes me one or two days to design Microsoft Defender for Endpoint. It is easy to do this, and the more you implement, the easier it gets over time.

Sometimes, when I change the configuration, I have to wait six to eight hours.

It is so expensive. It isn't cheaper than McAfee or other solutions.

I prefer Microsoft Defender for Endpoint instead of McAfee, Kaspersky, and other products.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution as 10 out of 10.

OmidKoushki - PeerSpot reviewer
Solution Architect at KIAN company
Simple to use, flexible, easy to update, but the central management console needs improvement
  • "This product is flexible, and it is very easy to get updates from the Microsoft website."
  • "The central management console should be improved because it provides limited options to configure Windows Defender."

What is our primary use case?

This product is our antivirus for Windows 10 machines, Windows Server 2016, and in our Azure environment. In addition to this, we have a project for an oil company that is implemented in Azure, and we had to migrate the majority of their systems to that platform. Once the migration was complete, we configured Windows Defender as its antivirus.

What is most valuable?

It is very simple to use and easy to scan systems.

This product is flexible, and it is very easy to get updates from the Microsoft website.

We are using the firewall features.

What needs improvement?

The central management console should be improved because it provides limited options to configure Windows Defender. It should provide a lot of options and features, in the same way, that Symantec does, or the Kaspersky Central Management Console does. Essentially, we should have a central management console on Azure that can be used to manage Windows Defender on all of our machines.

This is a very stable solution and we plan to continue using it.

The company that I implemented this for has approximately 2,000 staff and 1,000 virtual machines on Azure.

I have not been in contact with Microsoft support. Rather, I have learned by using the materials that are provided online.

We were originally using a product from Symantec before we switched to using Windows Defender. After that, we adopted the Microsoft solution for Azure.

I have configured Windows Defender for different locations by using Group Policy Settings and each time, it took between five and ten minutes, based on the guidelines.

I configured it personally by downloading and reading materials that I found on the Microsoft website.

This is an expensive product and licensing for all Microsoft products is a big issue. However, Volume Licensing and Educational Licensing are good options to decrease the cost.

What other advice do I have?

In general, Windows Defender is a good feature for the Windows Operating System.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
Senior IT Manager at a pharma/biotech company with 1-10 employees
Good protection against phishing attacks and spam, but seamless integration with EDR is needed
  • "What I like most is the protection against phishing emails and anti-spam."
  • "If they integrate with the EDR then it will benefit this solution."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Microsoft Defender ATP to prevent anti-phishing, malware transportation, and unwanted spam emails.

What is most valuable?

What I like most is the protection against phishing emails and anti-spam.

What needs improvement?

The integration of the defense features is something that they are working on but it still needs improvement.

In the next release, I would like to have additional features integrated with DNS security and DNS resolution. It will add to the solution and work more like a firewall.

If they integrate with the EDR then it will benefit this solution.

I would like ATP to be integrated with the EDR as one single license.

I have been working with Microsoft Defender ATP for three years.

It is stable, but it depends on how you configure the existing ATP and what existing features you need to enable it.

Based on the features that are enabled, it will work perfectly. 60% to 80% will depend on the configuration that is done for the ATP trade products.

Microsoft Defender ATP is scalable at any point of time.

The technical support was good.

I would rate technical support a four out of five.

The initial setup was not easy but not complex. It was somewhere in between.

There were many things that needed to be integrated with the existing solution, which took some time. It took us a week to deploy this solution.

When compared with other vendors, the pricing is very high.

There are several other features that can be integrated with Microsoft Defender ATP such as EDR. But, it doesn't already come integrated with ATP. It's available at an additional cost.

If you want the EDR feature, you would have to purchase an E-file license. The cost is three times higher to have more productivity with the dashboard.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good solution. I would recommend Microsoft Defender ATP to anyone who is interested in using it.

I would rate Microsoft Defender ATP a seven out of ten.

Private Cloud

Microsoft Azure
Lalit Vazirani - PeerSpot reviewer
Director at Darknext
A stable, easy-to-setup ransomware and malware protection solution with live detection capabilities and comes included in Windows 10
  • "The features I have found most valuable are the ransomware and malware protection. The solution detects malware live and whenever it detects suspicious activity, it quarantines it."
  • "With regards to the interface, a challenge I found was that there was not enough documentation on how to tune it. I had to read multiple sources on the internet to learn how to configure the tool appropriately."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is to protect our endpoints from malware.

A lot of our work involves exchanging files with clients, both via the internet, by email and by USB. Therefore, we are susceptible to malware and ransomware attacks. We are using this solution to protect against these attacks.

What is most valuable?

We set our protection to the tightest possible settings, which prevents non-approved applications from making any changes to our computers'.

What needs improvement?

One area of improvement for this solution is to have a faster turnaround time on updating definition files. Since there are usually various ransomware variants, this solution may not pick it up in time like other commercial antivirus solutions. However, we have not encountered an issue like this yet with definition updates.

In the next release, I would like to see the solution have a backup feature were my data could be saved to a Microsoft OneDrive account or an equivalent cloud platform so that, in the event of a ransomware or malware attack, I can easily retrieve my data.

I have been using the solution for about a year.

The solution is stable.

In the past, I have used other solutions from Symantec, McAfee, and RSA.

The initial setup is very straightforward. It is just the configuration that takes more time as many features are not very intuitive. As a result, you have to read through what a specific feature does and whether you want to implement it.

The solution is an open source version and comes free with a paid version of Windows 10.

What other advice do I have?

I would highly recommend Microsoft Defender Antivirus for an individual looking to protect their endpoints.

Head Of Information Technology at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Integrates very well with all Windows workstations, works very well, and has good stability and scalability
  • "It integrates very well with all Windows workstations or other Microsoft Endpoint products. It also works quite well. So far, I have not had any issue that hasn't been sorted out. It doesn't use too many resources, so you don't have to install different things."
  • "Its price could be better."

What is our primary use case?

We replaced our antivirus with Microsoft Defender, and we are implementing three products. We have Microsoft Defender for Endpoint, which is deployed on all our endpoints. We also have Microsoft Defender for Office, which works very well to protect Office documents.

We are using this solution for MDM and MAM for the endpoints. We are using its latest version.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Its price could be better.

We have been using it for three months.

It is very stable for Windows.

It has very good scalability. We have 151 users.

I have not directly interacted with them. My colleagues have interacted with them.

We were using another solution that was number three in the market according to Gartner 2019.

There wasn't really much that we had to do because we have Intune, so it was very easy to deploy. We used the Control Panel, and it was deployed on the rest of the machines. What took longer was the onboarding of the machines to Intune, but once they were there, they were all protected. We, of course, had to remove the old antivirus.

We used a partner. We had two people for this.

It is within the same range as other products. It is not too expensive, and it is also not cheap. Its price can be better, but, well, it is Microsoft.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. I have a lot of good things to say about it. We are still navigating through it, and it has been working very well. We will absolutely keep on using it.

I would rate Microsoft Defender for Endpoint an eight out of ten.

Download our free Microsoft Defender for Endpoint Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: July 2022