We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Manager Cyber Defense Operations Centre at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Affordable and straightforward without much to improve for personal use
  • "It is easy to install and use requiring little maintenance but applying updates."
  • "It is inexpensive but could be cheaper like anything else."

What is our primary use case?

I installed Windows Defender for personal use for my protection of my personal PC. I use it as an antivirus system so that I do not have any exposure to viruses on my PC. Obviously, I do not want to leave my PC open to virus threats. I have only used it on my personal PCs with the license I got for Office 365. I keep my patches and descriptions updated on my PC.

Defender is installed only one one of my laptops. I am sure I will continue using it there as long as the licensing is valid.

What is most valuable?

I really have not really worked with it that much to be able to customize my approach with it or anything like that. It pretty straightforward to install and use.

What needs improvement?

I do not find that there is very much about it that needs to be improved. Everything can be cheaper I am sure. So, it could be less expansive.

It has been about six months now since I started using Microsoft Windows Defender.

It is stable.

I am sure it is a scalable product.

I was just using or trying to get a personal PC secure using a product I got as part of the Office 365 package. There was no previous product installed.

I found that it was pretty straightforward to install and use. You install it and it is working almost immediately.

I think that the product is affordable. At least it was for me. It is part of the Office 365 package.

What other advice do I have?

I have used it enough to be sure that I could recommend it for home use on a PC.

On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate Defender as a nine-out-of-ten based on my experience.

Administrator at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Free antivirus solution with basic protection but has limited features
  • "It's effective against most types of infection, and the firewall is perfect for protection."
  • "The solution could be more friendly for end-users, with different type of scans or scheduled scans for it."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is as an end-user solution. It helps protect the computer against viruses and malware. It has a firewall option and offers basic protection for an end-user and a home user. If you are a home user, it's a very good solution for you.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it is easy to use; the solution is already there when you load Windows. It's effective against most types of infection, and the firewall is perfect for protection.

What needs improvement?

One area where the product could be improved is that I don't think it can be used all by itself, if you are working with a business. If you are using the laptop as a business, you need to add an extra protection with this solution.

The solution could be more friendly for end-users, with different type of scans or scheduled scans for it. The antivirus database update could be a cloud protection instead of waiting for the database to be updated every now and then.

I have been using the solution since it launched, around 2014.

The solution is stable and working fine for me. I haven't faced any problem with it.

The solution is scalable.

I haven't had a crash or problem with Microsoft Defender, so I haven't needed to contact the support.

The solution is a Windows feature, so it's already there when I launch the operating system.

The solution is free with Windows.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate the solution a seven out of ten. As it's a free solution, it doesn't have a lot of features like paid versions. If you are a home user or don't have a paid version of any other antivirus, Defender will be fine for you.

Private Cloud
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Defender for Endpoint. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
563,208 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Technical Director at Systex Software
Reseller
It comes preloaded with Windows 10. It does not have a central console.
  • "Microsoft Defender can block some viruses or malware. So, it can protect my files. It can save files on Office 365 OneDrive. I use encryption for some files, then I can recover them from OneDrive."
  • "The central console needs improvement. Both McAfee and Symantec antivirus have dashboards. These integrate with a server and work on my antivirus or some other product. However, with Microsoft Defender, you use Microsoft Group Policy Object. Defender does not provide a central console. Therefore, if you implement Defender, then maybe use another tool for the central view."

What is our primary use case?

I am a Taiwan sole company reseller. We sell commercial software to enterprise customers.

I use the Microsoft Defender for scanning the antivirus or some hacker tools.

How has it helped my organization?

We sell the Microsoft solution for enterprise customers. We recommend to customers that they can use Microsoft Defender Antivirus.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The central console needs improvement. Both McAfee and Symantec antivirus have dashboards. These integrate with a server and work on my antivirus or some other product. However, with Microsoft Defender, you use Microsoft Group Policy Object. Defender does not provide a central console. Therefore, if you implement Defender, then maybe use another tool for the central view.

I have been using Microsoft Defender Antivirus for more than two years.

In general, Defender Antivirus can work with my operating system. So, its performance is okay.

Defender can integrate with other Office 365 security products.

We just search for knowledge from Google.

My company deploys Symantec antivirus. However, when we buy a laptop, it includes Windows 10, which has Defender antivirus installed. Therefore, we use both antivirus software, Symantec and Defender.

We did not deploy Microsoft Defender Antivirus. It simply came preloaded with Windows 10.

I would recommend using Group Policy Object to deploy this solution and enable some functions.

You just pay Windows 10 prices, then you have antivirus software. As a price comparison, Defender's costs are very low.

What other advice do I have?

We sell the Microsoft 365 solution to customers. If a customer wants Windows 10 Defender, they can choose Defender ATP in Office 365.

I would rate this solution as a five or six out of 10.

AbdullahAl Masum
Professional Prospect List Building Service Provider, Email Sourcer, Virtual Assistant at Freelance
Easy to install, good performance, and offers strong protection
  • "A few years ago, when I was using a different product, I was affected by a virus that destroyed everything. Since using Microsoft Defender, I have not had this kind of problem."
  • "Lowering the price would be an improvement."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use this solution for the safety of my PC. It protects me against ransomware and other types of viruses.

How has it helped my organization?

Microsoft Defender has indicated problems with some websites that I was able to remove.

A few years ago, when I was using a different product, I was affected by a virus that destroyed everything. Since using Microsoft Defender, I have not had this kind of problem.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it helps protect me against any type of virus that might attack my system.

The performance is good.

What needs improvement?

Lowering the price would be an improvement.

I have been using Microsoft Defender Antivirus for the last three years.

Stability-wise, this is a strong product and it works better than other anti-virus solutions.

Prior to this solution, I had used different anti-virus products. One of them was a solution by Kaspersky, which I used for a long time. When I was using it, my PC was running very slow. Sometimes, I was not able to access legitimate websites because Kaspersky blocked them. I found that it blocked many websites that were legally valid, which was frustrating.

Because of these reasons, I switched products.

I used another product after Kaspersky for one year but it was not good either.

Installing this solution on the computer is easy to do.

While expensive, the service it provides is good, which is why we are using it.

Microsoft Defender is an expensive product in my country.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend my friends and colleagues use Microsoft Defender because it always protects us against ransomware and viruses.

In summary, this is a great product.

Ganusha Alwis
Manager-Information System & Product Management at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Gets updated with new security features on a regular basis but there is no behavior analytics for devices and endpoints
  • "We have liked the fact that it comes with Microsoft Windows 10 and it is constantly updated with all new virus definitions. It is also updated with new security features on a regular basis."
  • "There is no behavior analytics for devices and endpoints. There is no behavior-based protection."

What is our primary use case?

We use Microsoft Windows Defender for normal internet security. We use it to detect viruses. We have about 100 users.

What is most valuable?

We have liked the fact that it comes with Microsoft Windows 10 and it is constantly updated with all new virus definitions. It is also updated with new security features on a regular basis. We don't use any other third party products.

What needs improvement?

There is no behavior analytics for devices and endpoints. There is no behavior-based protection. It does not allow us to pull data from ransomware and zero-day attacks.

We have used Microsoft Windows Defender since 2010. We used Microsoft Essentials with Windows 7 then we upgraded to Windows 10. Since then we have used Microsoft Windows Defender.

Microsoft Windows Defender is stable.

We have had no issues with scalability.

We have not needed any support from Microsoft so far so there are not any complications with customer support so far.

Recently we tested another product that employs Endpoint Detection and Response and also behavior analysis protection. It also was able to filter activities or data. These are things that Microsoft Windows Defender does not do. We stayed with Windows Defender because of the cost.

Microsoft Windows Defender is easy to set up and easy to manage.

We were able to set it up in-house. We have two people in-house that manage Windows Defender.

What other advice do I have?

If you require Endpoint Detection and Response or Behavior Analysis and you can afford it then go with those products. I would rate Microsoft Windows Defender a seven out of ten.

NiravKumar
Cyber Security Specialist at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
Good support and valuable EDR feature, but not stable and not suitable for enterprises with lots of other processes and third-party tools
  • "The EDR feature is most valuable."
  • "It is currently more suitable for end-users rather than enterprises with lots of other processes and third-party tools. It needs improvement on that front. We had many issues while integrating it with our enterprise solutions, such as Splunk, and third-party tools. It provides everything via APIs. Other vendors provide integration with third-party tools, but Microsoft doesn't do that. It is also logging too much and is not serialized from the process aspect. It has all the data, but it is not in a proper format or not properly indexed, which doesn't make it easier for enterprises to use this data. Other vendors provide troubleshooting information that can be used to troubleshoot issues, but Microsoft doesn't provide anything like that."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for our endpoint detection and response capability.

What is most valuable?

The EDR feature is most valuable.

What needs improvement?

It is currently more suitable for end-users rather than enterprises with lots of other processes and third-party tools. It needs improvement on that front. We had many issues while integrating it with our enterprise solutions, such as Splunk, and third-party tools. It provides everything via APIs. Other vendors provide integration with third-party tools, but Microsoft doesn't do that.

It is also logging too much and is not serialized from the process aspect. It has all the data, but it is not in a proper format or not properly indexed, which doesn't make it easier for enterprises to use this data.

Other vendors provide troubleshooting information that can be used to troubleshoot issues, but Microsoft doesn't provide anything like that.

I have been using this solution for six months.

It is still a new product, and there are many reported bugs in terms of stability and impact on the endpoints.

We have around 80,000 users.

They are good. They take a little bit of time, but they are good.

It was very complex. We had many issues in integrating it with our enterprise solutions, such as Splunk, and third-party tools.

We have seven or eight engineers for its maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others if they don't have many third-party tools. It is a very good solution.

I would rate Microsoft Defender for Endpoint a seven out of ten.

Assistant Manager – IT Infrastructure at a manufacturing company with 201-500 employees
Stable threat protection with good support but it's expensive and has license restrictions
  • "It shows us the risky sign-ins, and if a user's password has been compromised."
  • "I am not sure if I will be using this product in the future because of the price."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for threat detection.

What is most valuable?

It shows us the risky sign-ins, and if a user's password has been compromised.

What needs improvement?

While have been using this solution for two years, I am not completely knowledgable.

Due to license restrictions, we cannot use all of the features that are offered.

I am not sure if I will be using this product in the future because of the price.

I would like to see better pricing for this solution in the future.

I have been working with Microsoft Defender ATP for two years.

We are always using the latest version because it's on the cloud.

With what we have seen, it's a stable solution.

We are not using it widely because of the licensing limits.

We have three users only for Defender ATP, and if we are using the Microsoft ATA it applies to 500 users.

Technical support is good.

We did not use another solution previous to Microsoft Defender ATP.

The initial setup is straightforward. It's included with the Windows 10 Operating System.

There is no time taken for deployment as it is included with the operating system.

We completed the installation ourselves.

We have 15 administrators to deploy and maintain this solution.

Microsoft Defender ATP is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

Because of my lack of knowledge or experience with the solutions full capacity, I cannot recommend this solution or offer any advice.

I would rate this solution a five out of ten.

Director, IT at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
Flexible, well-integrated with Microsoft products, and the security profile it provides is insightful
  • "The most valuable features are that it is flexible, and it is integrated with Microsoft products."
  • "I would like to have additional features such as DNS lookup, which would help for detecting malicious sites."

What is our primary use case?

We have this security solution activated on 10 different Windows PCs, and we have it for Office 365 products as well.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are that it is flexible, and it is integrated with Microsoft products. That gives us peace of mind.

I like the security center, as well as the full picture of our security profile and insights.

What needs improvement?

I would like to have additional features such as DNS lookup, which would help for detecting malicious sites. This is a key part that I would like to have, and other products already have it implemented.

I have been using Windows Defender for approximately five months.

Windows Defender is a stable product and we plan to continue using it in the future.

This is a scalable solution. We have between 120 and 140 users right now.

We have not had any problem with the support from Microsoft.

We used a different product prior to this one, but I switched because I have a unified security overview of the corporation. The Security Center is key for being able to work everything from one console.

The initial setup was easy and the installation for the cloud-deployment took no more than an hour.

We deployed with our in-house team. We have two people, not full-time, who take care of deployment and maintenance. They are engineers.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product and I can recommend it to others.

Download our free Microsoft Defender for Endpoint Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.