We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
OmidKoushki
Solution Architect at KIAN company
Simple to use, flexible, easy to update, but the central management console needs improvement
  • "This product is flexible, and it is very easy to get updates from the Microsoft website."
  • "The central management console should be improved because it provides limited options to configure Windows Defender."

What is our primary use case?

This product is our antivirus for Windows 10 machines, Windows Server 2016, and in our Azure environment. In addition to this, we have a project for an oil company that is implemented in Azure, and we had to migrate the majority of their systems to that platform. Once the migration was complete, we configured Windows Defender as its antivirus.

What is most valuable?

It is very simple to use and easy to scan systems.

This product is flexible, and it is very easy to get updates from the Microsoft website.

We are using the firewall features.

What needs improvement?

The central management console should be improved because it provides limited options to configure Windows Defender. It should provide a lot of options and features, in the same way, that Symantec does, or the Kaspersky Central Management Console does. Essentially, we should have a central management console on Azure that can be used to manage Windows Defender on all of our machines.

This is a very stable solution and we plan to continue using it.

The company that I implemented this for has approximately 2,000 staff and 1,000 virtual machines on Azure.

I have not been in contact with Microsoft support. Rather, I have learned by using the materials that are provided online.

We were originally using a product from Symantec before we switched to using Windows Defender. After that, we adopted the Microsoft solution for Azure.

I have configured Windows Defender for different locations by using Group Policy Settings and each time, it took between five and ten minutes, based on the guidelines.

I configured it personally by downloading and reading materials that I found on the Microsoft website.

This is an expensive product and licensing for all Microsoft products is a big issue. However, Volume Licensing and Educational Licensing are good options to decrease the cost.

What other advice do I have?

In general, Windows Defender is a good feature for the Windows Operating System.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
Senior IT Manager at a pharma/biotech company with 501-1,000 employees
Good protection against phishing attacks and spam, but seamless integration with EDR is needed
  • "What I like most is the protection against phishing emails and anti-spam."
  • "If they integrate with the EDR then it will benefit this solution."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Microsoft Defender ATP to prevent anti-phishing, malware transportation, and unwanted spam emails.

What is most valuable?

What I like most is the protection against phishing emails and anti-spam.

What needs improvement?

The integration of the defense features is something that they are working on but it still needs improvement.

In the next release, I would like to have additional features integrated with DNS security and DNS resolution. It will add to the solution and work more like a firewall.

If they integrate with the EDR then it will benefit this solution.

I would like ATP to be integrated with the EDR as one single license.

I have been working with Microsoft Defender ATP for three years.

It is stable, but it depends on how you configure the existing ATP and what existing features you need to enable it.

Based on the features that are enabled, it will work perfectly. 60% to 80% will depend on the configuration that is done for the ATP trade products.

Microsoft Defender ATP is scalable at any point of time.

The technical support was good.

I would rate technical support a four out of five.

The initial setup was not easy but not complex. It was somewhere in between.

There were many things that needed to be integrated with the existing solution, which took some time. It took us a week to deploy this solution.

When compared with other vendors, the pricing is very high.

There are several other features that can be integrated with Microsoft Defender ATP such as EDR. But, it doesn't already come integrated with ATP. It's available at an additional cost.

If you want the EDR feature, you would have to purchase an E-file license. The cost is three times higher to have more productivity with the dashboard.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good solution. I would recommend Microsoft Defender ATP to anyone who is interested in using it.

I would rate Microsoft Defender ATP a seven out of ten.

Private Cloud

Microsoft Azure
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Defender for Endpoint. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
563,208 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Lalit Vazirani
Director at Darknext
A stable, easy-to-setup ransomware and malware protection solution with live detection capabilities and comes included in Windows 10
  • "The features I have found most valuable are the ransomware and malware protection. The solution detects malware live and whenever it detects suspicious activity, it quarantines it."
  • "With regards to the interface, a challenge I found was that there was not enough documentation on how to tune it. I had to read multiple sources on the internet to learn how to configure the tool appropriately."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is to protect our endpoints from malware.

A lot of our work involves exchanging files with clients, both via the internet, by email and by USB. Therefore, we are susceptible to malware and ransomware attacks. We are using this solution to protect against these attacks.

What is most valuable?

We set our protection to the tightest possible settings, which prevents non-approved applications from making any changes to our computers'.

What needs improvement?

One area of improvement for this solution is to have a faster turnaround time on updating definition files. Since there are usually various ransomware variants, this solution may not pick it up in time like other commercial antivirus solutions. However, we have not encountered an issue like this yet with definition updates.

In the next release, I would like to see the solution have a backup feature were my data could be saved to a Microsoft OneDrive account or an equivalent cloud platform so that, in the event of a ransomware or malware attack, I can easily retrieve my data.

I have been using the solution for about a year.

The solution is stable.

In the past, I have used other solutions from Symantec, McAfee, and RSA.

The initial setup is very straightforward. It is just the configuration that takes more time as many features are not very intuitive. As a result, you have to read through what a specific feature does and whether you want to implement it.

The solution is an open source version and comes free with a paid version of Windows 10.

What other advice do I have?

I would highly recommend Microsoft Defender Antivirus for an individual looking to protect their endpoints.

Head Of Information Technology at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Integrates very well with all Windows workstations, works very well, and has good stability and scalability
  • "It integrates very well with all Windows workstations or other Microsoft Endpoint products. It also works quite well. So far, I have not had any issue that hasn't been sorted out. It doesn't use too many resources, so you don't have to install different things."
  • "Its price could be better."

What is our primary use case?

We replaced our antivirus with Microsoft Defender, and we are implementing three products. We have Microsoft Defender for Endpoint, which is deployed on all our endpoints. We also have Microsoft Defender for Office, which works very well to protect Office documents.

We are using this solution for MDM and MAM for the endpoints. We are using its latest version.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Its price could be better.

We have been using it for three months.

It is very stable for Windows.

It has very good scalability. We have 151 users.

I have not directly interacted with them. My colleagues have interacted with them.

We were using another solution that was number three in the market according to Gartner 2019.

There wasn't really much that we had to do because we have Intune, so it was very easy to deploy. We used the Control Panel, and it was deployed on the rest of the machines. What took longer was the onboarding of the machines to Intune, but once they were there, they were all protected. We, of course, had to remove the old antivirus.

We used a partner. We had two people for this.

It is within the same range as other products. It is not too expensive, and it is also not cheap. Its price can be better, but, well, it is Microsoft.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. I have a lot of good things to say about it. We are still navigating through it, and it has been working very well. We will absolutely keep on using it.

I would rate Microsoft Defender for Endpoint an eight out of ten.

Consulting Director at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Reliable protection included with Windows Operating System
  • "It's stable."
  • "I would like to see fewer pop messages and alerts."

What is our primary use case?

I'm a consultant and I don't use these solutions. We sell them and we do research for sales purposes.

I don't use it explicitly. Rather, it's there on my laptop filtering viruses. It's there to protect my laptop.

What needs improvement?

I have had a few minor issues on my laptop but nothing really big.

I would like to see fewer pop messages and alerts.

It's disturbing when you have that many alerts.

Even though it shows you it's working, I don't really need to see it. If it was running in the background and never showing that would be perfect for me.

It's been a part of my laptop by default for two to three years.

I am probably not using the latest version. I don't follow the best practices in terms of updates. I may have an outdated product.

It's stable. There are no issues that I know of.

My laptop has been working.

As it is for my personal use, this is an area that is not necessary for me to explore.

I am the only person using it.

I am a part of a tiny organization with a tiny team that is autonomous.

I have not contacted technical support.

I have used Symantec Endpoint Protection. It was the standard choice in my previous company.

From what I remember, the initial setup was transparent. I haven't had to deal with it.

I would say that the initial setup was straightforward.

It's included with the Windows Operating System, I don't pay for any licensing fees.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend using this solution. I haven't had any issues and it's been working fine for me.

I plan to continue using this product as long as it is not causing any problems.

Engineer at a educational organization with 5,001-10,000 employees
Pre-installed, free, and easy to use, but the free version doesn't provide centralized management, EDR, and behavioral analysis
  • "It is easy to use because it is already pre-installed in Windows 10. We don't have to do anything to configure it. You can also configure the firewall by using a group policy so that it can be easily adopted in an environment."
  • "Microsoft Defender in the basic form is not very useful for managing the security environment. The free version is not capable of covering the needs of centralized management, EDR, and behavioral analysis. If you don't have the commercial version, you can't have centralized management and set up the policies and other things. Each client is a standalone installation, which is not useful for security in an enterprise model."

What is our primary use case?

We were using the basic endpoint from Sophos without Intercept X and the EDR model, and currently, we are in the selection process of a new platform that has EDR embedded. We are using Microsoft Defender Antivirus for the time being till we get the new platform.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to use because it is already pre-installed in Windows 10. We don't have to do anything to configure it. You can also configure the firewall by using a group policy so that it can be easily adopted in an environment.

What needs improvement?

Microsoft Defender in the basic form is not very useful for managing the security environment. The free version is not capable of covering the needs of centralized management, EDR, and behavioral analysis. If you don't have the commercial version, you can't have centralized management and set up the policies and other things. Each client is a standalone installation, which is not useful for security in an enterprise model.

I have been using this solution for six months.

Currently, we have about 2,000 users.

I didn't use support for this solution.

It was already pre-installed in Windows 10.

It is free. It is included in Windows 10.

We are using Microsoft Defender only for the time being. We will switch to another endpoint platform that can offer us more advanced features, centralized management, and EDR. We have not chosen the solution at the moment, but we might go for Bitdefender. It is one of the products that we have evaluated, and it can be suitable for our environment. It has some use cases that are really in the same line as our requirements.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution only for small home environments. It is not for enterprise environments unless you buy the commercial version.

I would rate Microsoft Defender Antivirus a seven out of ten.

VMware and Windows Server Team Lead with 1,001-5,000 employees
A simple solution with good integration, price, stability, scalability, and support
  • "Its simplicity is the most valuable. It also has very good integration. We like it."
  • "Its interface can be improved a little bit. We would like to have some sort of centralization. It should have something like a central server that is managing all the other clients. There are solutions from Kaspersky or ESET NOD32 that are really doing this kind of thing currently. We would like to see something similar from Microsoft."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Microsoft Windows Defender for Windows services because it is the default antivirus and protection solution with Windows Server 2016 and 2019. We are using it for Windows servers, file servers, and active directory.

What is most valuable?

Its simplicity is the most valuable. It also has very good integration. We like it.

What needs improvement?

Its interface can be improved a little bit. We would like to have some sort of centralization. It should have something like a central server that is managing all the other clients. There are solutions from Kaspersky or ESET NOD32 that are really doing this kind of thing currently. We would like to see something similar from Microsoft.

We have been using this solution for more than two years.

It is very stable. It is highly recommended.

It has good scalability. We are happy with it and plan to increase its usage. We currently have around 20 users.

Technical support is good. We like Microsoft, and they provide good technical support.

It is straightforward.

We implemented it by ourselves.

Currently, for us, Windows Defender is free with the purchase of Windows Server. Pricing is an important point for us when we are looking at the competitors of this solution. If we choose to go with another vendor, we will have to pay some license fees.

What other advice do I have?

We are considering moving to another solution, so we are trying to inform ourselves about the other products in the market that will fit our budget and needs. We are trying to see what the competitors offer in the server market. We are looking into ESET NOD32 because we know the product from back in the day.

I would recommend this solution. It is free, and it is doing its job for Microsoft Windows Server. It is a good product. I would rate Microsoft Defender for Endpoint a nine out of ten.

IT Engineer at a real estate/law firm with 201-500 employees
Effortless updating, full operating system integration, and secure
  • "Microsoft Defender for Endpoint is beneficial because we are using Microsoft Windows and all the core solutions are made by Microsoft, such as the authentic platform, operating system, and antivirus protection. It is a heterogeneous environment. We had to use third-party solutions before and update everything separately. For example, the policy for antivirus. With Microsoft Defender for Endpoint, when Microsoft Windows receives updates it will update with it. This is one main advantage of this solution."
  • "Microsoft Defender for Endpoint can improve by making the reporting faster. It takes some time to reflect back to the administration portal of what has been updated. For example, out of 100 Computers, approximately 90 computers received updates, but when you check the administration portal over one or two days, you will only see 75, even though 90 were updated."

What is our primary use case?

Microsoft Defender for Endpoint can be used for protecting personal information and file in my organization.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has saved us time by not having to install separate third-party antivirus solutions.

What is most valuable?

Microsoft Defender for Endpoint is beneficial because we are using Microsoft Windows and all the core solutions are made by Microsoft, such as the authentic platform, operating system, and antivirus protection. It is a heterogeneous environment. We had to use third-party solutions before and update everything separately. For example, the policy for antivirus. With Microsoft Defender for Endpoint, when Microsoft Windows receives updates it will update with it. This is one main advantage of this solution.

What needs improvement?

Microsoft Defender for Endpoint can improve by making the reporting faster. It takes some time to reflect back to the administration portal of what has been updated. For example, out of 100 Computers, approximately 90 computers received updates, but when you check the administration portal over one or two days, you will only see 75, even though 90 were updated.

I have been using Microsoft Defender for Endpoint for approximately one year.

The solution is stable.

Microsoft Defender for Endpoint has been scalable.

We have more than 200 users using this solution in my organization.

Previously we used McAfee and Symantec Endpoint. Every five years we change the solution. However, this time we changed to Microsoft Defender for Endpoint because we wanted a unified platform.

When you install Microsoft Windows 10, Microsoft Defender for Endpoint comes with it. There is no installation of the solution other than installing Windows 10. It saves time because you do not have to use any new kind of policy or deployment.

We have a team of three that do the management of the solution.

The solution comes free with Microsoft Windows 10.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Microsoft Defender for Endpoint a ten out of ten.

Download our free Microsoft Defender for Endpoint Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.