Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more
Enterprise Architect & Solutions Architect at AIA Australia
A family of message-oriented middleware with a useful trace and tracking feature
  • "I think the whole product is useful. Their database and all is very good, and the product is fine. The fact that it ensures message delivery is probably the most important thing. I also like that you're able to trace and track everything. If it doesn't arrive at the destination, it will go back to the queue, and no message will be lost."
  • "They probably need to virtualize the MQ flow and allow us to design the MQ flow using the UI. It would also help to migrate to the cloud easily and implement AWS Lambda functions with minimum coding. If you have to code, then just with NodeJS or Java."

What is most valuable?

I think the whole product is useful. Their database and all is very good, and the product is fine. The fact that it ensures message delivery is probably the most important thing. I also like that you're able to trace and track everything. If it doesn't arrive at the destination, it will go back to the queue, and no message will be lost.

What needs improvement?

They probably need to virtualize the MQ flow and allow us to design the MQ flow using the UI. It would also help to migrate to the cloud easily and implement AWS Lambda functions with minimum coding. If you have to code, then just with NodeJS or Java.

Many things should be done out of the box, like MQPUT directly to databases or MQGET to link to the main database. MQ should be able to connect to any language and just do it whether you're using mobile apps or web apps. It should be possible.

The other probably more key thing is that to get IBM on-premise is hard because there are no freely available videos and courses. Technical support in Australia could be better.

I used to be an MQ specialist 20 years ago, and now I'm a solutions architect and consultant who sometimes recommends this solution to clients.

I think IBM technical support isn't too bad. IBM support can be a bit slow. Someone should be able to check on the problem straight away.

I know that IBM in the States is very good. You can get good IBM staff and engineers and architects 24/7 or from 09:00 to 05:00. They have highly skilled and highly experienced staff there. Here in Australia, it feels like it's run by an account manager and run by salespeople. It should be run by architects and engineers and not by the account managers and sales teams.

IBM MQ
September 2022
Learn what your peers think about IBM MQ. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
635,513 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I think IBM needs to look at its pricing. The prices of IBM products should be simple. The old way of pricing should now be moving on to the cloud to be pay as you go, a plan-based kind of pricing.

To become competitive, they actually need to move to AWS and Azure. If they really want to be highly available, they can have a highly available location, and charge another price.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give IBM MQ an eight.

Senior Technology Lead at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Impressive message queue, responsive customer service, but stability and price need improvement
    • "The clustering capabilities have provided some difficulties when it comes to resiliency. This has been a challenge for managing the environment."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the solution for taking messages off the mainframe and distributing them down to a large, high-performance computing environment supporting over 4,000 servers.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features I have found to be the message queue itself and its ability to bridge between mainframe type services to distributed services.

What needs improvement?

The clustering capabilities have provided some difficulties when it comes to resiliency. This has been a challenge for managing the environment.

I have used the solution for approximately 15 years.

We had stability issues with the solution. I would be looking at replacing the product, but I am not in charge.

I was not on the team that was on our internal MQ for support but I know IBM support services are really good. While I have had some issues and long nights supporting IBM software in my 33 years of IT, the support personnel are good. I always say good things about them. It is not their fault that their products come up short, but they do a good job at supporting customers.

The installation was straightforward until we started to have resiliency problems, it then became more complex to have to set up clustered MQ servers. We were using Linux Red Hat cluster services, which became an extra burden. When it eventually came time to do other activities, such as updating the operating system or a specific driver, for example, a firmware driver for the bare-metal servers themselves, having the MQ's clusters being sensitive caused a challenge for service and support.

The solution costs are high, it is going to cost a fair bit for annual operating costs and support.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise, if I was the person in charge, I would tell my architecture team, "Bring me three other MQ-type solutions and do a POC to see if we can get better performance, resiliency, and reliability at a lower cost."  I guarantee there are solutions out there that can do just those three things.

I rate IBM MQ a six out of ten.

IBM MQ
    September 2022
    635,513 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    IT Architect at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Reliable messaging, great throughput, and great stability
    • "Reliable messaging and throughput are the most valuable."
    • "We are looking at the latest version, and we hope that resilience, high availability, and monitoring will be improved. It can have some more improvements in the heterogeneous messaging feature. The current solution is on-premises, so good integration with public cloud messaging solutions would be useful."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for application-to-application integration.

What is most valuable?

Reliable messaging and throughput are the most valuable.

What needs improvement?

We are looking at the latest version, and we hope that resilience, high availability, and monitoring will be improved.

It can have some more improvements in the heterogeneous messaging feature. The current solution is on-premises, so good integration with public cloud messaging solutions would be useful.

I have been using IBM MQ for 20 years.

Its stability is great.

Its scalability is okay. The inside scalability is great. We are hoping that the outside scalability is improved in the latest version.

Most of the users are just using the applications, and they are using IBM MQ without realizing it. In terms of the number of people really dealing with IBM MQ on a global scale, there are probably around 30 users. They are actually working with the product. There are thousands of developers who are using applications with IBM MQ.

I am an architect, and I talk with the architects of IBM. The engineers talk with technical support when needed.

The basic setup is simple. The deployment is fully automated.

We received the software from the vendor, but we deployed it on our own. We also do the maintenance ourselves.

There is real money involved here. As compared to RabbitMQ, IBM MQ is on the higher side in terms of cost.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution for similar companies. I am very fond of IBM MQ because of the reliability and throughput part, at least on a single server. On the consumer and application side, RabbitMQ seems a bit easier to consume. It is a bit ahead in terms of the scale-out feature.

I would rate IBM MQ an eight out of ten.

Senior Technical Lead at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Scalable and reliable but needs action log statistical information
    • "The solution is very stable."
    • "The main issue we are having with the solution is due to the connection dropouts which have been going on for a long time now."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution as a messenger software, in order to send messages to various applications.

What needs improvement?

The main issue we are having with the solution is due to the connection dropouts which have been going on for a long time now. Sometimes randomly the connection gets disconnected and we try to send a message, we get a failure. We then need to manually take an action on the message, which is happening quite a lot in production. We have been working together with the MQ team trying to increase the connection and some channel upgrades. We are taking steps in the right direction but the issue is not completely fixed.

Additionally, there is not any statistical messaging information being captured. We are not able to pull up any reports to determine when a message was sent. For example, how many messages during the day or during five minutes.

I have been using the solution for 13 years.

The solution is very stable. We have not had issues, except for the connection dropouts which could be related to the machine we are using.

The solution is scalable. It is flexible because, for us, we used the solutions adapter to provide the connection parameters to send a message. This has been quite easy.

We have previously used and still do, Rabbit MQ, which is open-source. It is getting quite popular because it is also stable and it has a good UI. This UI allows us to check the messages with some statistical data.

This solution requires a license and we have purchased an enterprise license.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. However, there are some emerging competitors on the market that provide a competitive alternative.

I rate IBM MQ a seven out of ten.

Dameer Siddiqui - PeerSpot reviewer
    User at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Stable with good features and a responsive technical support
    • "The solution is stable."
    • "IBM MQ is not very user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

We're a service provider. My company provides services to different clients that include financial institutions in the banking sector.

IBM MQ is used for queue messaging. I have to install and configure, the MQ features of listener channels, remote queues, and some transmit queues. We enable these as per customer requirements.

What is most valuable?

The solution offers very good features, including listener channels, remote queues, and transmit queues.

The solution is stable.

The initial setup isn't overly complex. It's pretty straightforward.

Technical support is very good.

What needs improvement?

IBM MQ is not very user-friendly. MQ needs to redesign or add some sort of user-friendly interface in order to offer better performance.

This is a very old solution. Nowadays, some other products are designed to be much more user-friendly as compared to IBM MQ.

The product needs better administration.

I've been working with the solution for three years.

The solution is very stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

We've found the technical support to be very good. they tend to match the severity level of the situation. We're quite happy with the way they respond.

While the initial setup is not overly difficult, the user interface is not very user-friendly.

I cannot speak to the pricing of the product. I can't say if it's overly expensive or reasonably priced as I don't deal directly with licensing.

What other advice do I have?

We are an IBM partner.

I'd rate the soluton at an eight out of ten. For the most part, I've been pretty happy with its capabilities.

Database Administration Team Leader at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
    Good usability with very good publish and subscribe features
    • "The usability of the solution is very good."
    • "We need to have a better administration console and better monitoring features. Right now, they are not good and could be a lot better."

What is most valuable?

The subscribe and publish features are excellent. We use them a lot.

The usability of the solution is very good.

What needs improvement?

There isn't that much happening with the installation consoles and monitoring consoles. This could be improved.

The pricing could be better.

I've been using the solution for ten years. It's been a decade so far, therefore, it's been a rather long time overall.

The technical support has been pretty good. Every time I've used it, they were pretty good and I found them to be knowledgeable and responsive. I'm quite happy with their level of service.

The pricing could be lower. It's not the cheapest option out there. However, I don't have comparison prices with other solutions at this time. We're working on comparison pricing currently.

We are currently evaluating other options. We are starting the comparison now and we are starting on the technical scope, not on the budget. However, we will also consider pricing as we evaluate other potential options for our company.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have any business affiliation with the organization.

On a scale from one to ten, I'd rate this solution at a nine.

Cloud Integration Leader - Cloud Migration Leader at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    We like the solution for our synchronous communications and transactional applications that require a lot of CPS

What is our primary use case?

We use MQ for our transactional layer in conjunction with IBM Bus. We use MQ for our web application servers and many of our processes.

What is most valuable?

We like IBM MQ for our synchronous communications and transactional applications that require a lot of CPS.

We've been using IBM MQ for about 10 years, but we are currently in the process of migrating our IBM workload to the integration layer in AWS.

IBM MQ is highly stable.

The portion of IBM MQ that we have in the cloud is scalable, but the on-premise part isn't so much. However, we are working on sending our loads to cloud.

IBM support is good. I would rate it nine out of 10.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

It's straightforward to set up IBM MQ because we can use it in lightweight modules, like containers, for example. It's not always easy for applications to connect to IBM MQ, but I think it's fine in general.

What other advice do I have?

I rate IBM MQ nine out of 10. It's a good solution.

Hybrid Cloud
    Yogesh Kshirsagar - PeerSpot reviewer
    Associate V P - Technology Delivery at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
    Effective transaction processing, reliable, and scalable

What is our primary use case?

IBM MQ is used to ensure that transactions are properly handled.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of IBM MQ is transaction processing.

I have been using IBM MQ for approximately 10 years.

IBM MQ is stable.

The scalability of IBM MQ is good.

We have only customer transactions using IBM MQ.

I have used the support from IBM MQ. There is some room for improvement.

I rate the support from IBM MQ a four out of five.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

I have not used another solution prior to IBM MQ.

The initial setup of IBM MQ is complex.

The price of IBM MQ could improve by being less expensive.

I rate the price of IBM MQ a three out of five.

I choose IBM MQ over other solutions because of personal comfort.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend IBM MQ to others that are using major transaction processing.

I rate IBM MQ an eight out of ten.

Download our free IBM MQ Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: September 2022