IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
Handriyo Sidhi - PeerSpot reviewer
Team Leader at PT.Helios Informatika Nusantara
Reseller
Easy to update with simple end-user management
  • "Updates are very easy to do when the customer is connected to the internet."
  • "HPE does not have suffficient storage."

What needs improvement?

Competitors, such as Dell EMC, make use of NVMe storage. They also use the STM storage module. Primera only has a maximum of eight. In contrast, HPE Nimble Storage does not use NVMe and this makes it challenging for us to convince the customer, who is sometimes aware of this technology, to go with it. HPE does not have sufficient storage. Overall, the customers in need of the solution have sufficient network data storage. There is also SAN storage in one solution, in a single product. I have made three requests that the storage be capable of being samples in a single bundle. We have the protocol as an example when it comes to the product. Yet, if the customer needs to configure NAS storage, this necessitates the purchase of separate software. As the competitors have already launched the solution with NVMe or STM storage, we have also done so with Primera. The same holds true in respect of Dell EMC. In Indonesia we encounter customers who are knowledgeable about the storage and infrastructure and enquire about the solution as it concerns HPE storage.

We have been working with HPE Nimble Storage for two years, since the time of its release. With HPE Primera we have been working for at least one year.

Technical support is good. Their responses are interactive and they work with us. We try to keep open communication with our customers and I know that in internal support the issue has arisen of how long it takes to be escalated from L2 to L3 support.  I feel that it takes too long. When it comes to performing integration with InfoSight, it is helpful that we can then segment the issue or possibly check the connection.

Updates are very easy to do when the customer is connected to the internet. This is also the case with InfoSight if the customer is connected.
HPE Nimble Storage
June 2022
Learn what your peers think about HPE Nimble Storage. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
606,596 professionals have used our research since 2012.

HPE Nimble Storage has a simple management end-user. The customer will generally provide us with feedback about performance upon installation of the solution, including in respect of VMware. Our customers are helpful when our performance involves configuring integration such as that of vCenter with InfoSight. I am aware of the tech problem we encounter. The VM we have with high-class latency is, surprisingly, very helpful to manage.

What other advice do I have?

I'm working with one of the distributors here in Indonesia, Helios Informatika Nusantara. Mainly I'm involved with managing the SMB company. I rate HPE Nimble Storage as a nine out of ten.
Chris Childerhose - PeerSpot reviewer
Lead Infrastructure Architect at ThinkON
ExpertTop 5
It has allowed us to upgrade our DMS to the latest version

What is our primary use case?

The AF5000 array is the primary storage for our iManage DMS 10 document management systems.  It allows the best performance for users using the system.

How has it helped my organization?

It has allowed us to upgrade our DMS to the latest version and reuse the older array as the DR storage for VMware SRM.  The entire DMS system performance has improved compared to the old which was on a previous generation CS260G.

What is most valuable?

Having all-flash with two banks of disk for population is great for expansion. InfoSight is always one of the best out there for array reporting and troubleshooting.

What needs improvement?

The product is great.  When sizing the array based on requirements the option to add more network cards for throughput would be something to help clients.  Product Support is best in class as always.

Three to five years.

No stability issues.

No issues here and we have a full bank for disk expansion.

Customer service is great and they go above and beyond to help.

Technical support is second to none out there combined with Infosight. Also having technicians assigned directly to you when needed is great!

No, we are a Nimble shop with nine arrays now.

Straightforward and very easy, as always.

Implementation was in-house, done by myself.

ROI will be determined over the next year, after we go-live.

When selecting a vendor make sure to validate with the vendor that the throughput is enough. With the AF5000, it is 2GB/s write and 4GB/s read, which we are maxing out. Also, ensure to get the right amount of network cards.

Also, make sure that the specifications meet the application domain and ensure the right amount of network cards are in the array.

Nothing else was evaluated.

What other advice do I have?

Nimble AF is a great platform and is only getting better. On top of that, InfoSight's great technical support makes it an easy choice.

Private Cloud

Other
HPE Nimble Storage
June 2022
606,596 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Assistant Circuit Executive for Information Technology at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
Competitive, integrates well with VMware, functional, and has good technical support
  • "The most valuable features are its cost-effectiveness, performance, and its deduplication deficiencies."
  • "You could argue that it would be preferable if everything were cheaper in order to save taxpayer money."

What is our primary use case?

It's a fairly standard nimble storage array.

We use HPE Nimble Storage as our typical SAN for virtual environment storage and shared storage.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are its cost-effectiveness, performance, and its deduplication deficiencies.

What needs improvement?

You could argue that it would be preferable if everything were cheaper in order to save taxpayer money. While that would be nice, they are comparable to what else is available on the market and they are competitive.

We have been working with HPE Nimble Storage for 18 months.

HPE Nimble Storage is a stable product.

HPE Nimble Storage is a scalable solution.

We currently serve up to 375 users. There is also one primary administrator and two secondary administrators.

My recollection is that there was a question in the beginning, and we contacted technical support; everything was fine. Excellent.

Previously, we were using Dell EqualLogic's PS series. We have since removed that from our environment and moved to another storage platform. We switched to the other platform in late 2020. We switched to HPE Nimble Storage.

The initial setup wasn't particularly difficult.

We simply migrated storage volumes from the EqualLogic's, had new ones built in the nimble array, and shifted everything over. There was nothing out of the ordinary.

It does not require a lot of maintenance.

I believe the array, maintenance, and everything totaled around $140,000 dollars.

Certainly, in comparison to what we would have had to consider in order to achieve an equivalent storage capacity with the EqualLogic's end of life, we would have had to migrate to EMC or another platform. It was going to be at least $200,000, and most likely closer to $300,000.

What other advice do I have?

We don't have any extraordinary requirements. We simply require a large amount of shared storage. It's perfectly functional.

It integrates well with VMware, as do the majority of the products. We are not doing anything exceptional.

I would rate HPE Nimble Storage a ten out of ten.

Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Good deduplication and compression features, scales well, and the support is good
  • "The deduplication and compression capabilities are powerful."
  • "There is no active-active controller, which means that we can only have one controller online at a time."

What is our primary use case?

We use HPE Nimble for deduplication and to compress data.

We have a large number of customers that rely on high availability from this product.

What is most valuable?

The deduplication and compression capabilities are powerful. We see deduplication savings ratios at ten to one, and twenty to one.

What needs improvement?

For me, Nimble has two main problems.

There is no active-active controller, which means that we can only have one controller online at a time. Replacing the controller is what I see as the only major issue, although I'm not sure that HPE can do this.

Nimble has a limit for objects. We have it configured for VMware, so if you have a laptop machine then you have a problem because of this limit. Also, if you have a virtual desktop with a lot of VMs, such as 2,000 to 3,000, then it's a problem because the window has a limit.

I have been using HPE Nimble Storage for more than two years.

Nimble is a stable product.

Scalability-wise, it is very good.

I have been in contact with technical support and I would rate them an eight or nine out of ten. They are very good.

I am also using HPE 3PAR.

I also have experience with HPE Primera, which is a better product. It's a merge of 3PAR and Nimble and it's a more stable storage solution.

If I were comparing a group of products then I would rate StorageWorks MSA a five, Nimble a seven, 3PAR an eight, Primera a nine, and StorageWorks XP a ten.

The initial setup is very simple, and in fact, the simplest of these solutions.

It takes approximately four hours to deploy including hooking up power, cabling, getting it set up on the rack, and configuration.

Deployment and maintenance are done in-house.

We keep the versions updated.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, this is a good product and I recommend it.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Product Manager at a comms service provider with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Good performance and processor, with a good support system for assistance
  • "The performance and the processor are good."
  • "I would like to see an added feature to auto-fix, or a dynamic alerting system on storage."

What is our primary use case?

We are resellers. We provide products to our customers.

Unfortunately, we were not able to sell this product because it is too expensive. We use it in our own cloud. We created a VMware VCPP cloud to provide VMware services to our enterprise customers.

What is most valuable?

The performance and the processor are good.

HPE has very good technology in terms of storage, and they have very good support assistance.

What needs improvement?

The problem is the price. It needs to be improved.

I would like to see an added feature to auto-fix, or a dynamic alerting system on storage. This is very important because we would like to prevent a disk failure before it happens.

If we had some sort of AI in place to alert us then we could replace the disk before it occurs.

Also, we would like to receive alerts if space is over the limits. This is necessary for us.

I have been selling HPE Nimble Storage for a few months.

It's very stable.

It's a scalable product. We have one POC user in our organization.

Technical support is good. HPE has a good channel system in Taiwan.

Previously, we used Dell.

Nimble Storage is too expensive for our enterprise customers.

What other advice do I have?

We are still trying other products. HPE GreenLake has very nice packaging. It's a financial program, and we used Nimble through this financing program. We didn't purchase it, we were testing.

We are still testing other products, such as Dell Storage.

We have some local storage vendors, so we are not formally using it in production.

We are not able to recommend this product as we are still in the testing phase. We are still doing the POC tests.

Ricardo Buysse - PeerSpot reviewer
HPE Technical Support Manager at Servicios GZ, C.A.
Can manage storage requirements and can be rapidly deployed
  • "The fact that you can manage the requirements is one the most valuable features of HPE Nimble Storage. The other is the rapid deployment time."
  • "I think the scalability of HPE Nimble Storage could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We currently work with banks and insurance companies, who are our primary customers with regard to HPE Nimble Storage.

How has it helped my organization?

Our clients have been very happy with this solution and like the fact that it is very easy to install. They have also had no problems with migration.

What is most valuable?

The fact that you can manage the requirements is one the most valuable features of HPE Nimble Storage. The other is the rapid deployment time.

Our customers are also happy that they can easily manage the requirements from the very beginning.

What needs improvement?

I think the scalability of HPE Nimble Storage could be improved.

In Venezuela, we have to purchase the solution for two years and cannot obtain a secondary storage platform. So from my perspective, the scalability is not as easy as that of 3PAR StoreServ or HPE Primera.

I have used this solution for two years.

Our clients have not reported any issues, so I think that HPE Nimble Storage is very stable.

The scalability of this solution is not great in comparison to that of 3PAR StoreServ or HPE Primera.

Most of our clients used 3PAR StoreServ and HPE Primera.

The initial setup is very easy.

I think HPE Nimble Storage is less expensive than Primera and is the best solution for Venezuela.

Our clients evaluated other options such as 3PAR StoreServ, HPE Primera, Pure Storage, and Dell EMC.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate HPE Nimble Storage at nine. It is less expensive than some of the other options and is very easy to install.

Director at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Reseller
Great performance and a fast deployment but can be expensive
  • "The deployment is fast."
  • "It would be ideal if all these enterprise-class high-performance products would come at a cheaper price."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for ERP.

What is most valuable?

The performance of the solution is excellent. It's the most valuable aspect of the product. The stability is great.

The scalability of the solution is great.

The deployment is fast.

Technical support is helpful.

What needs improvement?

The initial setup could be simplified a bit.

I've been dealing with the solution for a few years.

The solution is stable and reliable. The performance is great. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

Scalability is good with this product. If a company wants to expand it, it's not a problem.

We have two or three clients on the product right now.

I've had no issues with technical support. They are helpful and responsive.

The initial setup is always complex, however, it is manageable. Of course, it could always be a bit easier in the future.

The initial deployment is pretty fast and takes less than a week.

A company would typically need one or two engineers for deployment and maintenance tasks.

The solution is quite expensive. We'd like them to lower the cost of the product.

You can buy the solution outright to avoid ongoing licensing costs.

What other advice do I have?

We are resellers of the solution.

As resellers, sometimes how easy or hard the solution is to deal with and set up depends on the customer requirements. It's really subject to what a customer wants in their environment.

I'd rate the solution at a six out of ten.

Technical Specialist at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Easy to set up, good documentation, and the mirroring is useful
  • "The most valuable feature is data mirroring."
  • "Scalability, in terms of being able to scale out, is not easy and should be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and Nimble is one of the storage products that we implement for our clients.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is data mirroring.

The documentation is good.

What needs improvement?

In the future, I would like to see the vendor upgrade the hardware.

I have been working with Nimble Storage for seven years.

This product is definitely stable and we use it on a daily basis.

Scaling up is easy, but scaling out is not easy.

We have a team of five people who are responsible for maintenance. There are a very large number of end-users.

I have never been in contact with technical support because we have sanctions that prohibit it. When I need assistance then I seek help in the community.

I have worked with other similar solutions and I find that there are no big differences between them.

The initial setup is very easy.

Once the solution has been delivered, I can set it up myself.

The pricing is better than some of the competitors, such as Dell EMC.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing Nimble Storage is to perform a step-by-step deployment, and write down the steps as you go. This will ultimately save a lot of time if you experience any problems.

Download our free HPE Nimble Storage Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: June 2022