IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
Ali Balandy - PeerSpot reviewer
Systems Architect at a educational organization with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to maintain and update with good reliability
  • "It's very scalable."
  • "It may be coming to its end of life."

What is most valuable?

The solution is quite stable.

It's very scalable.

The solution is easy to manage and update.

What needs improvement?

As long as they keep getting the new Compute generations, it would be ideal. Generation 10 was the last that they wanted to support on Blade Enclosure. That's unfortunate though. It may be coming to its end of life. Other than that, I don't have anything else to improve upon.

It's a stable product. There are no bugs or glitches. It cannot crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The solution can scale well.

We've used the BladeSystem and Synergy. The Blade is simpler. The Blade Enclosure C7000 does the same job. It has the same robust fault tolerance and redundancy. Yet at the same time, it's simpler to deal with, to work with.

They have to either simplify Synergy Frame as they will not likely keep going with the Blade Enclosure for a long time. They were still working on it two years ago when I spoke to them. They said, "for at least 10 more years, Blade Enclosure will keep going." That's what they told us. However, for some reason, we wanted to go to the Synergy Frame. It was the wrong decision.

For the very long term, they either have to modify the Synergy to make it more like a C7000 or they might have to rethink keeping and further developing C7000. That's my simple experience.

With HPE Synergy, I had a very painful experience with updating by just really shutting down and rebooting the environment. We had a power outage, and a few things didn't come up properly. Also, when we did the firmware upgrade, there were a lot of problems. It's not as easy as the Blade Enclosure. Usually, I need to open a support ticket with HPE to get around the problems when it comes to Synergy. However, with the Blade Enclosure, it is easier to deal with things.

It's very easy to maintain and to keep updating.

I can't speak to the licensing. I don't get involved in the cost.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the product nine out of ten. I've been quite pleased with it.

Information Technology System Administrator at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
Reseller
Easy to use with good space conservation and very stable
  • "The product is quite stable. Its performance is reliable."
  • "The interface in terms of management could be much more intuitive."

What is our primary use case?

We are primarily using the solution for a hypervisor.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to use. It's user-friendly and simple to navigate.

The space conservation it provides is excellent. It helps compact the server.

The product is quite stable. Its performance is reliable.

The solution can scale. A company can expand it if it wants to.

What needs improvement?

The solution could use better management capabilities. The interface in terms of management could be much more intuitive.

I've been using the solution for two years at this point.

The solution is very stable. It's reliable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The solution can definitely scale. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so with ease.

We have about 2,000 end-users currently.

We do plan to continue to use the solution.

While HPE Synergy has quite good technical support, on other HPE products, it's not quite as good.

That said, on Blades, we've never really used the technical support.

We previously just used normal HPE servers. Other than that, we've never used another solution. We've never used a Blade system.

We did not handle the installation ourselves. I can't speak to how easy or difficult it was to execute.

We have about 20 people that can handle any maintenance.

We hired a contractor that implemented the solution for us. We did not handle the process ourselves.

We paid for the hardware itself. I can't speak to the actual costs. It's not an aspect I directly deal with.

What other advice do I have?

We're a customer, however, indirectly with HPE. We purchased the solution through a reseller. We don't deal with HPE directly.

I'm not sure which version of the solution we're using. I don't have the version number on hand.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten overall. It's been largely quite capable.

HPE BladeSystem
May 2022
Learn what your peers think about HPE BladeSystem. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2022.
596,970 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Executive Director at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
Reliable, fast, very scalable, and hardly breaks down
  • "They are reliable, and they hardly break down. They are fast, and they serve us very well."
  • "For me, the product is okay, but I would probably suggest improvement in their services or technical support. They need to work harder in the preventative maintenance of the system. They need to improve in terms of how quickly can we get attention and how quickly problems are resolved. Its price could also be lower."

What is our primary use case?

We are running a biometric solution. This is the main solution for which we use HPE BladeSystem.

How has it helped my organization?

HPE keeps on releasing new BladeSystems. We started with G4 and have used G5, G6, G7, G8, servers. We find these upgrades very useful. As our business volume grows, we're able to find an appropriate HPE server to use.

What is most valuable?

They are reliable, and they hardly break down. They are fast, and they serve us very well.

What needs improvement?

For me, the product is okay, but I would probably suggest improvement in their services or technical support. They need to work harder in the preventative maintenance of the system. They need to improve in terms of how quickly can we get attention and how quickly problems are resolved.

Its price could also be lower.

I have been using this solution for seven years.

It is very stable.

It is very scalable. The entire banking industry in Nigeria is connected to this solution. Everybody in the industry uses this solution. We intend to grow and increase its usage.

Technical support is my main concern. They need to improve in terms of how quickly can we get attention and how quickly problems are resolved.

Its initial setup is very easy.

We used resellers.

It is expensive. There are no additional costs. We are able to get good discounts anyway from HPE, but if the price can come down, we'll be happy.

We considered IBM. We made a choice for HPE, and it has been working well for us.

What other advice do I have?

My main advice would be to ensure that your technical staff is well trained by HPE and the technical staff receives HPE technical training because the support that you want may not come from HPE. If you have your in-house team properly trained, it should be fine.

I would rate HPE BladeSystem an eight out of ten.

Corporate IT Infrastructure Manager at a pharma/biotech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Support applications and virtualization across the entire organization with scalable hardware
  • "It is very stable."
  • "It is easy to scale if you have the licensing."
  • "It is lacking in the ability to replicate virtual machines more easily."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution like a hypervisor to host our applications. We have secondary areas for our accounting and manufacturing. That is a separate legacy system. We also use it as a SQL server.

What is most valuable?

It is very stable. Also, their support is amazing. If there is any issue, within a couple of hours, they will ship the box from another country and within a couple of hours, it will be here.

What needs improvement?

- Ability to connect storage bay to all servers inside the enclosure not only Adjacent server.

- simplified High Availability Configuration to connect the enclosure to different external switches.

We have been using HPE BladeSystem for around 4-5 years.

It is easy to scale. You can connect as many servers as you need depending on your account type.

The support is amazing.

I used to use a different solution but it was too different to compare. It was a very old system and it did not operate in the same way.

Regarding the setup, it is easy for the blade itself, but the integration with the network devices needs to be done by someone who knows the product.

The training takes something like five days and it is worth the effort to be able to do implementation and management by yourself.

What other advice do I have?

My recommendation to people considering this solution is to just make sure that the blade will be supported by the existing system. This is the only issue that we faced. It will be hard to integrate with some older switches. Usually, you will not be able to configure this solution with high availability if you are using older solutions. You cannot add it to a regular storage server. It is one of the limitations that you can not just add a storage unit for the blades.

On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate this product as a nine.

Systems Engineer at AXA Assistance US
Easy to manage the enclosure, simple software upgrading, and scalable
  • "One of the most valuable features I have found to be the enclosure. It is really easy to manage and everything is integrated. You are able to upgrade the software quite easily."
  • "We sometimes have compatibility issues depending on the browser that you are using. For example, sometimes you have to switch between Edge, Mozilla, Internet Explorer, or Chrome to have things operating correctly."

What is our primary use case?

We have a mix of generation eight and ten Blades in our HPE BladeSystem and we mostly use the system for virtualization.

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable features I have found to be the enclosure. It is really easy to manage and everything is integrated. You are able to upgrade the software quite easily.

What needs improvement?

We sometimes have compatibility issues depending on the browser that you are using. For example, sometimes you have to switch between Edge, Mozilla, Internet Explorer, or Chrome to have things operating correctly.

We have a few Blades from previous generations that cannot have the updated firmware upload to them unless you have a maintenance contract with HP. This is a frustrating problem we have experienced with the support.

I have been using this solution for approximately eight years.

The solution has had a few bugs and glitches.

The solution is scalable, we have approximately 3,000 people that use this solution.

When we received technical support from HPE and it has been very good.

I would rate the technical support for HPE BladeSystem a ten out of ten.

The installation was very easy.

We have been satisfied with the price. However, there are additional costs for support.

We are currently evaluating and researching other options because we are looking for simplicity. We plan to replace our HPE BladeSystem with converged or hyper-converged infrastructure.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others this is a good system overall with great hardware.

I rate HPE BladeSystem an eight out of ten.

Enrico Boseli - PeerSpot reviewer
CTO at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Mature with good technical support
  • "I have noticed that the solution does provide a very good ROI for companies."
  • "They could include some embedded software for container technology."

What is our primary use case?

As a company, as a service provider, we primarily use the solution in order to give service to other companies.

What is most valuable?

The initial setup is very straightforward. It's an easy process.

Technical support is pretty good.

The solution is quite mature.

The stability, in general, is good.

I have noticed that the solution does provide a very good ROI for companies.

What needs improvement?

I've dealt with the product for about 20 years at this point. It's likely been two decades. I've spent a lot of time with it overall.

The performance is okay,

The scalability is okay.

Technical support is good. They are going a good job overall. I would describe them as helpful and responsive. We're satisfied with the level of support that is on offer.

I have not found the initial setup to be overly difficult or complex. It's straightforward. The process is simple.

The solution is one of the best in terms of providing an excellent ROI to its users.

What other advice do I have?

We are HPE partners.

We mostly deal with eh latest version of the solution. I can't speak to the exact version number.

I'd recommend the solution. It's a good choice for the right use case. A company needs to look at it and decide if it's right for them and their purposes, however.

Overall, I would rate the solution at eight out of ten overall. We've been mostly happy with its capabilities.

Dara-Azartash - PeerSpot reviewer
Information Technology Administrator at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Compact design, simple to manage, and high performance
  • "HPE BladeSystem provides good commuting performance."
  • "The other similar solutions used different CLI commands than HPE BladeSystem. The HPE BladeSystem CLI commands should be the same as the other companies which would make it easier to manage. It would be better for the system administrators to manage HPE BladeSystem and other systems together. I wanted to configure this service with the CLI but the commands are different than the other solutions making it a bit more difficult."

What is our primary use case?

HPE BladeSystems are used for computing workloads.

What is most valuable?

HPE BladeSystem provides good commuting performance.

What needs improvement?

The other similar solutions used different CLI commands than HPE BladeSystem. The HPE BladeSystem CLI commands should be the same as the other companies which would make it easier to manage. It would be better for the system administrators to manage HPE BladeSystem and other systems together. I wanted to configure this service with the CLI but the commands are different than the other solutions making it a bit more difficult.

I have used HPE BladeSystem within the past 12 months.

HPE BladeSystem is stable.

I have not used the support from HPE.

I have used HPE ProLiant DL Servers previously.

When comparing the HPE ProLiant DL Servers to the HPE BladeSystem, the HPE BladeSystems are compact and need less space for installation. They can provide the same computing as the HPE ProLiant DL Servers in the same unit and are a lot easier to manage.

HPE BladeSystem is easier to implement because of its size than other solutions. It's easy to install, easy to build up the BladeSystems, but the enclosure is too heavy.

I would recommend this solution for large enterprises. Medium-sized companies would find it difficult to afford the HPE BladeSystem's overall capital expenses.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. If they require a system for computing workloads then this is a good solution.

I rate HPE BladeSystem a nine out of ten.

Director of Technology Services at a educational organization with 201-500 employees
Reliable, easy to maintain, and it's priced well
  • "I like the stability."
  • "I would like to see the upgrade path a little bit smoother."

What is most valuable?

BladeSystem was done really well.

I like the stability.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see the upgrade path a little bit smoother. We can't pull the servers from the current Blade, over to the NonStop system because of the different connectors.

I feel that it is a waste of money. I invested in it and I can't port it over.

The back of the blade system from their older generations will not connect to the new chassis. You will need buy new servers to the NonStop chassis.

HPE BladeSystem is a stable product.

We are a small-sized company.

We use only HP products.

Every generation of NonStop is just an upgrade from their BladeSystem. They could have let be known that it was BladeSystem two, but they just gave it a different name.

The initial setup is complex. You need the help of a consultant.

We have two people to deploy and maintain this solution.

BladeSystem is a little bit cheaper.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate HPE BladeSystem a nine out of ten.

Download our free HPE BladeSystem Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: May 2022