AndrewRath - PeerSpot reviewer
Azure Cloud Test Manager at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Great community support, industry-standard, and works well
  • "The biggest thing I liked about it is that there is a huge user base out there, and being shareware and being Apache, if I have any question on how to get something done, I get 18 different answers. Out of those, there would be at least a few good approaches for what I was trying to do. So, the support system out there is most valuable."
  • "I sometimes found the documentation to be not as explanatory as I would've liked it. In the cases that I can think of, I was looking for a rather hand-holding approach with Step A, B, and C, but then I realized that with a product that is open source like this, you can't do handholding. That is because there are so many different uses and different unique environments and setups for it, but I remember thinking a few times that if they only just said this."

What is our primary use case?

I've used JMeter in conjunction with Selenium, Java, and Log4j for logging. I used it before
I ended that contract in August. Its version was up to date at that time.

It was used for an e-commerce site that is specialized in C-PAP or weaving machines in effect. Their max was a thousand people logged in at once. I, of course, pushed the boundaries on that, but it was to test the performance of the website, and of course, I'm had to try subsystems, database interactions, etc.

What is most valuable?

I'm a total geek, so I liked the fact that I got to program. The biggest thing I liked about it is that there is a huge user base out there, and being shareware and being Apache, if I have any question on how to get something done, I get 18 different answers. Out of those, there would be at least a few good approaches for what I was trying to do. So, the support system out there is most valuable.

What needs improvement?

I sometimes found the documentation to be not as explanatory as I would've liked it. In the cases that I can think of, I was looking for a rather hand-holding approach with Step A, B, and C, but then I realized that with a product that is open source like this, you can't do handholding. That is because there are so many different uses and different unique environments and setups for it, but I remember thinking a few times that if they only just said this.

If I were going to be Mr. Selfish and say anything I want, I'd say a full feature GUI that lets me drag and drop different modules in line. It could have a simple-to-use GUI.

I have been using this solution for probably a year and a half.

Apache JMeter
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about Apache JMeter. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
655,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I didn't have any issues with the stability of JMeter itself. There were definitely issues with the program I was testing, but that's why I was testing it.

It was very easy to scale, but I was barely scratching the surface. I have spent 17 years at Microsoft, and for the performance testing that we did there, we had 8.3 million users at once, as opposed to a maximum of a thousand. If I'm scaling, I have to do it quite straightforward and simple, but it was very minimal.

Only I was using it. It was the QA department. I showed it to some of the devs, and they were very interested. A couple of them tried it, but none were actually using it day-to-day for testing out the environment.

I would rate them an eight out of 10 because sometimes, they would take two or three days to get back to me. Of course, at that point, you're like, "I need the answer; I need to answer." So, it was a little bit unrealistic in terms of expectations.

At that particular company, I was the one who was tasked with coming up with the solution, so that was the only one that I looked at simply because JMeter is industry standard, but at Microsoft, they wrote their own custom tools, so I used custom Microsoft tools.

It was rather complex. It is a complex product, but that part of it was very well-documented. I didn't have any problems with it.

What other advice do I have?

Don't be shy in asking questions. Google/Bing is your friend. It is complicated. There's no reason to spend eight hours trying to figure out something, except unless you are trying to learn in-depth. There are a lot of people who've done exactly what you're trying to do, and it doesn't matter what it is.

I would rate it a 10 out of 10 because it is industry standard. It did everything I could've asked. I barely scratched the surface, but what I needed it for, it did well and in a very straightforward-to-implement way.

RodrigoRozas Moser - PeerSpot reviewer
Jefe de QA & Arquitectura at Azurian
Easy to set up, offers a free trial, and is reliable
  • "It's easy to set up."
  • "Apache should have a graphic interface."

What is our primary use case?

I am using JMeter only to test some web services.

How has it helped my organization?

You can moderate some transactions which aren't available to too many users. You can use JMeter and compress as needed or to support as many users as possible.

What is most valuable?

I am a basic user. I couldn't explain the different features deeply. I use, for example, the web services. I like the features where you are programming at an increased rate in web services. I use those features. For example, as part of using our web services, if there are 100 transactions with three threads, and I want to finish with 5,000 transactions with 20 threads on different pages, I can find the rate which my server used on each page. I like this feature in JMeter.

It's easy to set up.

What needs improvement?

Apache should have a graphic interface. That would help beginner users a lot. Sometimes it's hard to do what you need to do via the command line.

I've been using the solution for around two or three years.

The solution is stable. There are no bugs or glitches, and it doesn't crash or freeze.

The solution can scale. However, it requires configuration to do so. I don't have much knowledge in regards to how to scale exactly.

On the other hand, if you have a cloud server with 10 servers and you are using the same DNS for all servers, as all servers are working with the same application, and you have for example a load balancer that provides balancing to each one of these ten servers, I am not sure if Apache JMeter will report the different servers separately. I imagine not.

Different implementations of JMeter Runtime could be used to point to each one of these 10 servers. You can use JMeter in different OS, for example, Windows, Linux, or Unix. You have a lot of features to use different instances with JMeter. However, this load balancer concept would be harder to explain.

Right now, we have around two or three guys working directly with the product.

We are evaluating automatization apps currently. We are using Jenkins, and I am sure we will start with JMeter later. However, I have not defined a roadmap to expanding usage of this product just yet.

I have not used technical support.

I have used some other solution previously. However, I cannot recall the name. It was likely SoapUI. We picked up JMeter as it is free to start with and easy to pick up.

The product is simple to set up.

For example, you can just support Apache JMeter with the Java installer feature, which downloads the JDK or Java Runtime from the Oracle pages, for example. Or you can add the Runtime as a part of your installer, and after the installation, have a common user in Windows, for example, as an option. There is some knowledge of Java needed, and you do need to use the command line. Some may feel a bit lost when they start. However, there are different ways to do it according to your comfort level.

It should have something for the front-end user to help them prepare the environment correctly, however.

We have two to three people handling the maintenance of the product at this time.

I have not really noticed a return on investment.

What other advice do I have?

I cannot recall the exact version number we are using. I always download the latest.

We are currently using our own servers to provide the network.

I recommend JMeter if your goal is to design some stress tests. JMeter has some features. For example, you can start with tests on the command line. You can join instantly on our current deployment batches. Jenkins has some support for JMeter as well. On another hand, you can make a simple bridge to start the JMeter process with the command line in the same Jenkins deployment. You have a lot of features on hand.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Apache JMeter
November 2022
655,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Shubhashish Agarwal - PeerSpot reviewer
Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Open-source with easy scripting and a modular design
  • "It is easy to set up."
  • "If JMeter could provide a web version of editing, that would be good."

What is our primary use case?

The use cases are mainly for performance testing and for test case management of the different APIs.

How has it helped my organization?

Initially, we didn't have any tool for performance testing, particularly open source. JMeter, since it is open source, we can test our APIs pretty quickly and we can work with different teams to provide performance testing very quickly. It doesn't take up much of our time.

What is most valuable?

The ease of scripting is great.

The modular design is very useful.

It is easy to set up.

The solution is stable.

It can scale well.

What needs improvement?

If JMeter could provide a web version of editing, that would be good.

If JMeter can provide its own cloud version rather than depending on BlazeMeter, the commercial version of JMeter, that would be ideal. If we could have somebody right on the front end of JMeter, using it on any of the clouds, including AWS, GCP, or Azure, that would be very helpful. it would be better than me going for using commercial services.

I would like to have some kind of cloud version that can be implemented. Or we would like a Docker version. A Docker version is something that I would look for.

I've been using the solution for four or more years.

It is a stable, reliable product. There are no bugs or glitched. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The solution has been scalable.

We have almost 100 users on the solution.

We likely won't increase usage in the future.

I do have some knowledge of technical support.

This is an open-source tool. If I write any issue in the forums, somebody will answer it pretty quickly. The open source technical support they have on offer is good.

We did use a different solution previously.

Most people know JMeter more than the other tools. It's easy to learn and quick to execute. It's also open source. You can get a lot of solutions across the internet. If you are having some issue or error, somebody or the other may have faced that same issue, and he may have found out the solution. It makes troubleshooting easy, having crowdsourced troubleshooting. That was a factor in our decision-making.

The initial setup is not straightforward. It's simple and not complex at all.

We only need two people to maintain the product. It doesn't take a lot of staff.

We have our own in-house team that can handle the setup.

We've definitely seen an ROI.

We use an open-source version of the product. However, there are cloud services that we use. I'm not sure of the cost of the cloud services.

We looked into Micro Focus and Cavisson NetStorm. However, they were licensed tools, and we decided against them.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the latest version of the solution.

We are using a cloud version of JMeter that is called BlazeMeter.

If you are a company that is evaluating other licensed tools, just go for JMeter. It's open source, easy to use, and the most widely used across platforms. It would be much simpler than using the other licensed tools. Other licensed tools may have pretty good technical support. However, most problems with JMeter can be solved using the solutions that are available on the internet.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Stephen W. Boyd - PeerSpot reviewer
I.T. Architect, Analyst, Developer at a educational organization with 51-200 employees
Scalable and stable, easy to use, can be automated, and has good community support
  • "The scripting ability is most valuable. It is easy to use. There is a UI, and you can go in there and figure those things out. After you've got a good set of tests, you basically have a scripted document that you can grab and execute in a pipeline. It is pretty quick to set up, and you can scale it and version control it."
  • "Because so much is being done these days with authentication processes, a better system for either getting bearer tokens or some kind of token-based authentication prior to executing APIs would benefit the product. It is there, and you can do things. It is just not real clean at this point. There should be a better authentication process for JMeter or some automation or better guidelines for gaining and utilizing tokens on the fly."

What is our primary use case?

We use Apache  JMeter for API testing. Our latest task combines test cases with our CI/CD pipeline for deployment to Kubernetes. Tests are developed locally and automated for the build using standard Unit and Integration testing techniques. Once deployment is successful to Kubernetes, we develop the JMeter tests for automation in promotion scenarios. Thereafter, once a deployment is successful, we can automate promotion to the next level based on test success.

How has it helped my organization?

Test automation moves our organization close to rapidly deploying products. Unit and Integration testing is easy to automate, and most organizations perform these as part of their day-to-day operations. However, end-to-end testing, smoke testing, load testing, and performance testing are much harder to automate. Apache JMeter has aided in that challenge.

What is most valuable?

While there is a User Interface, the scripting ability is highly beneficial and is easy to use. Tests can be added to a CI/CD Pipeline for integration with testing and deployment scenarios once finalized and operational.

What needs improvement?

This is a difficult question to answer. On one side, JMeter is very flexible and allows for a high amount of customization. On the other, some tasks are common enough that it merits simplifying the process.

Authentication for API testing could use improvement. Currently, it is a multi-step process to call, extract, and utilize a bearer token securely for API calls. This process is becoming a common enough task that a "wizard" for creating and consuming popular authentication models is merited.

I have been using this solution for about six years.

Apache JMeter is stable, and I personally have not encountered any issues. Depending on the size of test runs, one might need to adjust their JAVA settings to align with the test requirements.

Its scalability works. It is a typically Java run. Therefore, it is limited only by what you can do in Java in terms of scalability.

Developers write tests, verify tests, and maintain tests using version control. They identify and tag each to ensure they are appropriately labeled for test purposes (E.g., unit testing, integration testing, performance testing, and the like). Unit and Integration test coverage is normally high. However, we require testing from outside of the system, and JMeter allows us to create tests automating this process.

Apache JMeter utilizes community support. It is well-documented and has an active community. As far as I know, there is not a "pay-for-support" option.

I have used Postman in collaboration with other developers. However, I prefer Jmeter only out of personal familiarity and not for any technical deficiencies of Postman.

Apache JMeter setup is easy. However, there is a medium-to-heavy learning curve for developing tests and getting started using it for practical uses. Depending on its intended uses, there could be a significant configuration task for a given set of tests.

Apache JMeter is under Apache License, Version 2.0 licensing. Understanding licensing requirements is important for the implementation of any tool.

What other advice do I have?

Understand the use case. Choosing the correct tool for any task is always a challenge. Jmeter offers a significant amount of flexibility and will work for a lot of solutions. Jmeter requires a commitment to learning for optimal operation; without that investment, tests may not yield the appropriate outcomes.

Associate Test Engineer at OSI Consulting, Inc.
Good solution for performance testing that works with multiple plugins

What is our primary use case?

Our company uses the solution for performance testing on web applications, API load testing, and automation of APIs and web applications. The solution provides three streams of use.

We also integrate Selenium with the solution to perform automation testing.

What is most valuable?

The solution has good transition controllers and distributed testing.

What needs improvement?

The solution's setup could be easier and security could be improved to minimize vulnerabilities.

I have been using the solution for four years.

The solution is used to test the stability of other applications through a three-step process.

Load tests look at the CPU, memory, and APM tool and assess the current load to determine if it can be increased from 60% to 70% for example. You continuously monitor the APM to see fluctuations in memory and CPU usage. If load tests are successful, then you move on to stress tests.

Stress tests find bottlenecks and determine how many users the application can handle within the current infrastructure. Baseline tests can be performed to determine results such as response time when increasing users.

Endurance tests determine if an application is stable and for how long stability can be expected. For an endurance test, you set up a particular user load and run it for at least eight hours but up to twenty-four hours. During this time, you see how the application is behaving and whether the CPU and memory are stable. This will allow you to assess overall stability without OOM leakages.

The solution determines if there are lags in application performance. For one project with 500 continuous users per hour, we used the solution to find that there were only two lags from 50,000 samples generated.

The solution is used to perform baseline tests for applications and compare them to SLAs to determine user load and scalability.

I have not needed technical support.

The initial setup can be complex depending on the application you want to test.

If the application is straightforward without much logic, then setup is easy and only requires a simple transaction controller. This scenario is common for users who log in, perform simple actions within 15 minutes, and log out.

Applications with internal logic require scripting that includes sample JSON extractors, pre- and post-processes, transition and throughput controllers, and precision throughput timers. This scenario is common for users who perform multiple actions over a longer period of time, is not straightforward, and involves multiple transaction controllers.

Our company implements the solution for customers.

First, we ask our customers about critical work flows and categorize them based on user loads to create a workload model. Then, we create scripts and proceed with testing.

Often, we request access to a remote desktop for installing scripts and resetting networks. We follow the workload model to initiate load, stress, and endurance tests.

The solution is open source with no user fees or licenses.

The solution is comparable to LoadRunner because it works with multiple plugins but is free to use.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend the solution and rate it a eight out of ten.

The solution is open source so on occasion there are security vulnerabilities.

Technical Specialist at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Reasonably priced, performs well, and has responsive technical support
  • "It is cost-effective and simple to use."
  • "It will be much easier, and beneficial for the individual to run it on their own machines rather than having a high-end infrastructure, more CPUs, or more memory that has been consumed by Apache JMeter."

What is our primary use case?

Regardless of, whether it is used for personal performance, load, volume, UI test, or functional test Apache JMeter is the best tool on the market.

What is most valuable?

It is cost-effective and simple to use.

Take, for example, a performance test with, the Micro Focus performance test tool, and compare it to Apache JMeter. Apache JMeter is far less expensive than HP Performance Center.

What needs improvement?

When you run tests with JMeter, it generates test version five, which is extremely large. Also, when you have a large number of tests to run, it requires a large size or memory size, which basically means it consumes a lot of memory. It would be helpful to come up with a way to be able to use Apache JMeter in a way where it did not use as much memory. It will be much easier, and beneficial for the individual to run it on their own machines rather than having a high-end infrastructure, more CPUs, or more memory that has been consumed by Apache JMeter.

I have been working with Apache JMeter for two years now.

I am working with the latest version.

It's on digital platforms rather than the cloud.

I am absolutely satisfied with the stability of Apache JMeter.

Apache JMeter is a scalable product. We are pleased with the scalability of this solution.

When we have encountered difficulties and reached out to technical support, they respond very quickly and most of the things are readily available with them, for all of the challenges or support that are required. If I had to rate them from one to ten, I would rate the technical support an eight out of ten.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

It is very easy to set up. There have been no issues, it's hassle-free, and it doesn't require a lot of expertise or specialization to configure and set up JMeter.

It is very straightforward and very easy. That is something that anyone can do.

Our team completed the deployment. It only requires one person and takes no more than two to four hours.

In terms of maintenance, we only require one person.

When you compare it to HP because prior to using this Apache JMeter, we used this HP Performance Center, and in terms of ROI, while I don't have exact figures, when it comes to HP Performance Center, we have nearly five times more. You can say that it's five times less of an investment and five times written on the investment by using Apache JMeter. With Apache JMeter, you receive five times more. It's higher.

It's a yearly license.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Apache JMeter an eight out of ten.

AmilaDantanarayana - PeerSpot reviewer
Presales manager at Mitra Innovation
Easy to set up with good documentation but needs extended backend support
  • "It's stable and reliable."
  • "In terms of platform support, they need to extend the support for backend platforms and more of the legacy types of platforms."

What is our primary use case?

There's a third-party platform that is getting migrated to, so with the newer version migration, we were looking to see if there are any performance degradation with the migration. The product platform assures the user loads that we are planning to have on the system. Nevertheless, we wanted to have validation from a business perspective. We wanted to see that it'll still support the loads that we are looking at.

What is most valuable?

The ability to create a large number of user loads has been very helpful for us.

It's typically straightforward to set up.

The solution can scale well.

It's stable and reliable.

There is lots of useful community support.

What needs improvement?

In terms of platform support, they need to extend the support for backend platforms and more of the legacy types of platforms.

We've used the solution for a long while. We've used it for a few years.

It's a well-trusted product. A lot of people use it. There's a lot of support in the community also. Therefore, the stability is pretty good and it is quite reliable.

We can create demand as we need. It's quite scalable.

We have five people suing the product. The performance testers use it.

We can get a lot of support from the community. It's pretty easy to get assistance.

We've had no issue so far when we've needed to get help. We are satisfied with the support.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

We did not previously use a different solution.

The solution can be easy to set up depending on the target system that we are testing. However, there are situations where Apache JMeter is not supported.

The deployment took two to three weeks to set up and deploy.

We have a team of five people that can handle deployment and maintenance.

We did the setup in-house. We have the capabilities within.

Most of the time, it's the end client who manages the license for us. We don't purchase the product by ourselves; it's the end customer who does it for us. I'm not sure what the actual cost of the product is.

What other advice do I have?

We likely are using the latest version of the solution. However, I can't be sure. I'm not sure which version number we're using.

It's a tool that is being used by many, many others as well. There's a lot of community support out there. I'd recommend it, as long as it supports the platform.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

Founder and Principal Consultant at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Priced well, stable, and integrates with other tools, but the installation is not intuitive
  • "I like the fact that JMeter integrates well with other tools."
  • "The installation needs some work. It could be simplified."

What is our primary use case?

I was experimenting with Apache JMeter. I was doing a proof of concept for myself to see if it fit my needs. I wanted to compare it with LoadRunner to see how it compares in terms of recording, ease of use, and functionality.

What is most valuable?

I like the fact that JMeter integrates well with other tools. For instance, we are also looking at OctoPerf and, I know for OctoPerf, you can import JMeter scripts, whereas, for LoadRunner, you cannot import LoadRunner scripts into OctoPerf.

I like the graphing; it is good.

Once I got past the learning curve, it was okay.

There were a lot of features that translated well from LoadRunner. I have LoadRunner experience, so once I applied my base knowledge to JMeter, then it was okay. The terminology was a little different, but the functionality is similar. For instance, They are called "extractors," in JMeter and called "correlation" in LoadRunner.

Once I learned the terminology and how to navigate through JMeter, then it was easier.

I still think LoadRunner is a better tool, but for some purposes, JMeter would suit the need.

What needs improvement?

The installation needs some work. It could be simplified.

When compared with LoadRunner, LoadRunner is a more mature product.

I used it for a couple of weeks.

It's pretty stable, I don't have any complaints.

We didn't do a large load test. I didn't explore the scalability.

I was the only person using this solution, but I ran 100 user load tests.

I did not need to use technical support.

Previously, we were testing LoadRunner.

I reviewed some YouTube videos and went through them. It wasn't necessarily intuitive.

There was some configuration, and file that had to be set up.

It wasn't like LoadRunner where they have an automatic installer and wizard that does everything for you.

It wasn't as easy, but anyone who is technical can work through it.

When comparing the price with LoadRunner, and if the cost is an issue then JMeter is a better choice. LoadRunner is very expensive.

I like LoadRunner better, although I might be biased because I do have LoadRunner experience. I am a little more familiar with it. I was leaning towards LoadRunner.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to look at YouTube videos for the setup. Other than that, it was pretty straightforward. I was pretty much satisfied with it. It's a good tool, and it sounds like it's been around for a while.

I would rate Apache JMeter a seven out of ten.

Download our free Apache JMeter Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: November 2022