We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Information Technology Manager & Chief Information Officer at a financial services firm with 1-10 employees
Allows us to create or clone a virtual environment in a short period of time and has good stability and support
  • "The ability to create or clone a virtual environment in a short period of time for testing is most valuable."
  • "An improvement could be in terms of keeping up with the upgrades. The upgrades could be set in an automated way so that the newer features don't require you to manually update, or you get an option to update automatically. This would be a useful enhancement."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to create virtual machines and things like that.

What is most valuable?

The ability to create or clone a virtual environment in a short period of time for testing is most valuable.

What needs improvement?

The enhancements that come out from time to time usually surpass what we need. We tend to upgrade because we do not want to be behind, but our needs don't continually grow. We are not very fast in terms of appetite for new things. However, we do appreciate that there is a continuous improvement, and for us, it is just a matter of being able to spin up a new environment quickly.

I have been using this solution for three years.

It is very stable.

Their technical support is great.

It has medium complexity. It isn't necessarily easy to set up. After you have set it up, it is easy to enhance.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate VMware vSphere a nine out of 10.

Sr. Virtualization Engineer at a government with 51-200 employees
A highly available cloud computing virtualization platform with a useful resource distribution feature
  • "I like the capability of vMotion, DRS, high availability, and resource distribution."
  • "The price could be better. The licensing is definitely expensive and tech support is sometimes frustrating."

What is our primary use case?

I use VMware vSphere as a regular VM for different workloads and different configurations.

What is most valuable?

I like the capability of vMotion, DRS, high availability, and resource distribution.

What needs improvement?

The price could be better. The licensing is definitely expensive and tech support is sometimes frustrating.

I have been using VMware vSphere for 15 or 16 years.

VMware vSphere is a robust and stable product. It doesn't break that often.

Technical support is sometimes frustrating. Lately, we have been dealing with some tech support on SRM and they are not able to solve it.

The initial setup is straightforward. Once you have some understanding, it's straightforward.

The price could be better. The license is definitely expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I don't find anything that I think it would be a bottleneck or any challenge. I've been using it for so many years. It's a robust product, and I don't see anything lacking. I would advise potential users to go for it. It's something you can rely on. It's very robust and doesn't break if you implement it correctly. It actually gives you peace of mind.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give VMware vSphere an eight.

Learn what your peers think about VMware vSphere. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,599 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Mohab Samy
VMware Technician Manager at VAS
Easy to install, stable, and scalable
  • "Stability and scalability are the most valuable features of this solution."
  • "I would like to see more support regarding containers, and they need more features for them."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for financial full disclosure, end-user computing, and for private cloud.

What is most valuable?

Stability and scalability are the most valuable features of this solution.

The connectivity to the pools from the large amount of memory to the CPU is also very good.

Also, the stability that it provides from the large system to the virtual machine is good.

What needs improvement?

I have been using VMware vSphere for a couple of years.

The stability of this solution is one of the most valuable features. It's a very stable product.

It's a very scalable solution. Every release includes scalability.

We have 200 to 300 customers who are using it and we have plans to increase our usage.

Technical support is moderate.

The initial setup is straightforward.

The time it takes for deployment depends on the environment and the design of it.

We need a team of five technicians to maintain this solution.

It's a monthly subscription model.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others who are interested in using it.

I would rate VMware vSphere a nine out of ten.

Hans-Peter Volk
Head of Professional Services at Axians ICT Austria GmbH
MSP
A transparent and independent solution
  • "It's very transparent and independent."
  • "The management could be simplified for base-level customers, but of course, it would be difficult to match all customer needs."

What is our primary use case?

Our deployments were formerly on-prem, but we have the role of a cloud provider. We have a distributed solution in our data center and several international cloud providers.

We use VMware vSphere for most of our business processes, including HR.

What is most valuable?

We like a lot of the features, but none really stand out. It's very transparent and independent.

What needs improvement?

We are very close to VM, all of our pain-points involve direct discussions. There are no special pain-points. This solution allows us to handle our system. It's required in business processes.

We have been using VMware vSphere for over 20 years.

VMware vSphere is absolutely stable.

We expand VMware vSphere daily. It's very scalable.

The technical support is great.

The initial setup is straightforward. The complexities lie on the TITO solution on-top.

The price could always be lower, but I think it's fair.

What other advice do I have?

I would absolutely recommend using this solution. It's clear-based, straightforward, and includes all of the options required in business.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of ten.

Project Specialist at integra software
Fairly priced, stable, easy to use, and easy to install

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for hosting servers and some applications.

What is most valuable?

It's easy to use, and it is flexible.

What needs improvement?

Security and patch-related items need improvement. In the next release, we would like the security system improved.

I have been using this solution for a couple of years.  We are working with the latest version.

It's a stable solution.

It's a scalable product. We have 300 to 500 users in our organization.

We have not contacted technical support. We have not faced any challenges.

Which solution

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for hosting servers and some applications.

What is most valuable?

It's easy to use, and it is flexible.

What needs improvement?

Security and patch-related items need improvement.

In the next release, we would like the security system improved.

I have been using this solution for a couple of years.

We are working with the latest version.

It's a stable solution.

It's a scalable product. We have 300 to 500 users in our organization.

We have not contacted technical support. We have not faced any challenges.

We have used other applications previously.

The initial setup is straightforward. It's easy to install.

I completed the implementation myself.

Our licensing fees on paid on a yearly basis and the pricing is fine.

We have evaluated NSX VMware and VMware vSAN, but we have certain requirements and found vShpere to be more suitable.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to anyone who is interested in using it.

I would rate VMware vSphere a ten out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
IT Services Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Beneficial server virtualization, exceptional customer service, and reliable

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution mainly for testing our internal systems. We are providing support and solution for clients and we have to test the solutions.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of the solution would be the basic feature of server virtualization, we use it everywhere.

I have been using the solution for 10 years.

The solution is stable. It has some small bugs which are not influencing the main functions but every software has some bugs.

This solution can scale to extremely large environments, it is very scalable.  We are a company of 35 people and we are using this solution. We…

What is most valuable?

I have been using the solution for 10 years.

This solution can scale to extremely large environments, it is very scalable.

We are a company of 35 people and we are using this solution. We have a lot of customers that we are providing consulting and support for VMware.

Customer support is one of the best in the market.

The installation is straightforward and simple because we learned how to do it a long time ago. Even a new user could find it easy.

The licensing price is fair compared to other similar solutions.

When comparing this solution with the others, it is very similar or a bit better.

What other advice do I have?

I rate VMware vSphere a nine out of ten.

System Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
We switched to vSphere from IBM Power because the hardware is cheaper.

What is our primary use case?

We are just beginning on vSphere. In the next two and three years, I would like to explore the virtualized automation.

What is most valuable?

Virtualised automation is a useful feature.

What needs improvement?

The pipeline feature can be improved, as it doesn't allow for specific situations.

We have been using vSphere for about 2 years.

Because vSphere is a minimal interface, it tends to be stable.

As you can set up various environments, vSphere is very scalable. In the future, we may consider switching from vSphere to Hyper-V.

We purchased…

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

Virtualised automation is a useful feature.

What needs improvement?

We have been using vSphere for about 2 years.

Because vSphere is a minimal interface, it tends to be stable.

We purchased the OEM, but not from VMware. We bought it from HPE. The first year of support provided by HPE is okay for now.

IBM Power. We switched to vSphere from IBM Power because the hardware is cheaper.

The setup of vSphere is straight forward. I have set up a few vSphere environments.

vSphere is very expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would give vSphere 9 out of 10, as it is easy to use, and there is good support available.

Microsoft Azure
Huy Le Quang
Cloud Professional Architect at FPT Software
It's straightforward to scale and configure virtual machines

What is our primary use case?

We need virtualization for our company, or sometimes our customers leverage virtualization solutions instead of using physical machines.

What is most valuable?

The fact that vSphere is an on-premise solution is beneficial for the user. It's easier to manage the infrastructure. It's more straightforward to scale and configure virtual machines.

What needs improvement?

VMware vSphere is perfect for the on-premise solution, but we are in the cloud era, so I think maybe VMware needs to invest more in the cloud and the microservice chain. It would be better if VMware offered more cloud solutions and continuous applications.

In terms of scalability and stability, vSphere is excellent. We lack…

What needs improvement?

In terms of scalability and stability, vSphere is excellent. We lack volume when we need to bundle a considerable number of physical machines to facilitate virtualization. There are a lot of competitors like Nutanix or others, but VMware is the number one solution for me.

We don't contact VMware support often, but I sometimes have trouble understanding their manuals, so I ask them for help.

It's easier for the user to deploy vSphere or the vCenter, but it's complex when setting up network virtualization.

I think VMware is a good investment. We use VMware to maintain our internal system.

What other advice do I have?

I rate VMware vSphere seven out of 10.

Download our free VMware vSphere Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.