IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
Project Manager at a comms service provider with 201-500 employees
Flexible, stable, and easy to install
  • "I like the flexibility."
  • "The config file can be changed in many ways, but with other solutions, there is only one way to configure the system."

What is our primary use case?

There are no specific uses beyond it being an operating system.

What is most valuable?

I like the flexibility. I work on the command line.

What needs improvement?

If you update certain models, it's not as easy at times. My main issue with Ubuntu Linux is that there are too many ways to administrate Linux. The config file can be changed in many ways, but with other solutions, there is only one way to configure the system. In Linux, there are too many ways to configure it. My colleague configures in one way and I configure in another way, which makes it confusing. They should unify the way to configure the Linux systems.  You can change the ATC conflict file. You can change some distributions in another way.  You have to look on many sites if you like to know why and why the configuration is set for in that way.

I have been using Ubuntu Linux for two years. We have used version 16 for a long time, version 18, and version 20 for quite some time.
Ubuntu Linux
April 2022
Learn what your peers think about Ubuntu Linux. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2022.
598,116 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have no issues with the stability of this solution.

Ubuntu Linux is scalable. We have approximately 100 users in our organization. Ubuntu Linux is the popular choice in our company. It is approved to continue usage.

I have never used technical support. I only use research on the internet.

I am also using IX, HP Unix, Ubuntu, and some Linux.

It is very easy to install.

I completed the installation myself. I did not use an integrator or consultant.

I am a project manager. I am not a system administrator, I don't know about the cost.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others who are interested in using it. I would rate Ubuntu Linux an eight out of ten.

Project Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Good performance, easy to install, and works well in a software development environment
  • "Ubuntu Linux has the advantage of performance. It runs very quickly."
  • "More drivers for hardware such as different network adapters should be developed."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and we recommend this product to our customers. We also use it internally.

Ubuntu provides us with a computer server, allowing us to combine our software code and different projects to produce graphics.

This operating system is suitable for cloud computing.

What is most valuable?

Ubuntu Linux has the advantage of performance. It runs very quickly.

This is a product that is being developed very quickly and it changes approximately every six months.

What needs improvement?

This product is not suitable for data transportation, data backups, or other data applications.

I have been using Ubuntu Linux for approximately five years.

This product is used by our engineering team, which has approximately 20 engineers. We plan to continue using it in the future.

I don't know of any free technical support that is available. We get support from the knowledge base or from the website, in the section titled Download Support Center.

I have also used Oracle Linux. It is very stable and good at tasks that include data transportation, data backup, data products, and other data-related functions.

These two products are different in their design. The choice of these products depends on the needs because they are designed for different goals.

The installation of Ubuntu is easy. It takes approximately 20 minutes to deploy.

Ubuntu is an open-source Linux operating system that can be used free of charge.

Buyers can pay for services and support, but they do not have to pay for a license.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I recommend to customers who are software developers and make use of compilers. It is very useful for this use case.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Ubuntu Linux
April 2022
598,116 professionals have used our research since 2012.
HimanshuTejwani - PeerSpot reviewer
System Administrator and DevOps Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Open source, easy to set up, and easy to manage
  • "The feature that I have found the most valuable is that it is open source. It is also very easy to manage. We can manage it ourselves."
  • "It is an open-source tool, and it doesn't have any support. If there is an issue with the implementation of a feature, such as clustering, I am not sure how to resolve it and get support for it. The stability of the vendor packages also impacts the stability of this solution. When vendor packages are unstable, or any packages are broken, they also impact Ubuntu Linux. It is very hard to resolve an issue related to unstable vendor packages."

What is our primary use case?

We run our personal applications or non-mission-critical applications on Ubuntu Linux to cut the cost.

What is most valuable?

The feature that I have found the most valuable is that it is open source. It is also very easy to manage. We can manage it ourselves.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Ubuntu Linux for three years.

It is stable. I didn't face any issues.

It is scalable. We have big servers on it.

We have four to five people directly working on Ubuntu Linux. They are a part of the System Admin team.

I have used Kali Linux as well. If you want to go for an open-source solution, Ubuntu Linux is better. It is a bit better to use.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward. It took about 20 minutes.

I implemented it myself. The deployment duration depends on the scenario. For small deployments, only one person is required.

What other advice do I have?

We have on-cloud and on-premises deployments. I am working on the core features, and I haven't faced any critical issues with it. We use it for our non-critical applications. We don't use it for any critical applications, such as financial applications, because we do not get any official support for it. For critical applications, Red Hat is a better option.

I would rate Ubuntu Linux a nine out of ten.

Researcher (telecommunication networks, smart cities and IoT) at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
Open source, stable, easy to use, and it has good community support
  • "The most valuable features are that it's free and that it is simple to use."
  • "It could be easier for beginners and the user interface could be more user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

We are at a University and use this solution for teaching and research.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are that it's free and that it is simple to use.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Ubuntu Linux since it's existence, which has been approximately 20 years.

This solution is stable. We use it on our laptops and we deploy it in our virtual machines. We are pleased with it.

We plan to keep using this product.

This is a scalable operating system.

We have approximately 2,000 students and teachers using it.

The technical support is quite good. It's a large community with many tutorials and books available.

Previously, we had used many other operating systems such as CentOS, SUSE Linux, and a few other operating systems based on Linux.

The initial setup is straightforward.

It only took a few minutes to install.

We did not use an integrator or vendor team. We have a team of 10 technicians who can help if someone doesn't know how to install it. Most users can install it themselves.

It's an open-source solution that can be used free of charge.

What other advice do I have?

Ubuntu and Linux, in general, are very common operating systems. Many people have knowledge of it. There is a large community of people who can tell you what is needed and tell you about the bugs it may have. They can contribute because it is open source.

It is a good product and one that I recommend.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

ManishK - PeerSpot reviewer
Director at SafeSquid Labs
Easy to learn, simple to manage, and reliable
  • "Ubuntu Linux is very easy to learn, manage, and keep updated."
  • "The solution is a little complicated to customize and could be made easier."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution in my organization as a software development platform.

How has it helped my organization?

Ubuntu Linux is a very good platform for software development. If you want to deploy dependencies for a particular software on Ubuntu it is probably the easiest. If you compared it to Red Hat or any other distribution of Linux, getting the dependencies and other configurations in place is quite a hassle. We have saved time by using this solution.

What is most valuable?

Ubuntu Linux is very easy to learn, manage, and keep updated.

What needs improvement?

The solution is a little complicated to customize and could be made easier.

In a future release, the implementation of lightweight desktops and remote access for server platforms could be improved.

I have been using this solution within the past 12 months.

The solution is stable.

Ubuntu Linux is scalable. However, there could be better documentation to assist in scalability in many areas, such as PCP scanning.

We have approximately 40 people using the solution in my organization. We have plans to increase usage in the future.

It is not very difficult for us to find support for Ubuntu Linux by ourselves since we have already been using it for many years. We generally do not need support from anywhere.

The installation is easier than any other solution.

We did the implementation ourselves.

The solution is free.

I have evaluated other distributions of Linux, such as Red Hat.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. For those thinking about whether they should try out the solution, I would advise them to go ahead and give it it try.

I rate Ubuntu Linux a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Infrastructure Security Architect at a comms service provider with 11-50 employees
Stable operating system with a straightforward setup and good patch management
  • "Linux-based operating system with good stability, good patching, and a straightforward setup."
  • "Ease of use and ease of deployment could still be improved in this system."

What is our primary use case?

I use Ubuntu Linux just for testing, e.g. as a workstation. I also use it for running some applications.

What is most valuable?

Ubuntu Linux is user-friendly. Patching and patch management for the system is also good.

What needs improvement?

The system is already user-friendly, but what could be improved is its ease of deployment. Its ease of use could also be improved.

I've been using Ubuntu Linux for more than five years.

From a stability perspective, Ubuntu Linux is quite stable. This is the reason I'm using it at home, e.g. for the lab. When I deploy it, it's quite stable, and I don't need to do anything else.

The initial setup for Ubuntu Linux was straightforward.

I implemented the system myself, and it took me less than an hour to deploy it.

The Ubuntu Linux version that I use is free. I just download it, install it on a VM, and that's it. It's because I don't require any support, so I don't need to pay.

I evaluated RedHat and Debian.

What other advice do I have?

I have a personal experience with Ubuntu Linux in virtual machines.

The system can be deployed on-premises or on cloud, and this will depend on the testing required. We usually use the latest version of Ubuntu Linux.

I'm not using the system in a production environment, so its scalability is not something I care about.

I have not contacted technical support for Ubuntu Linux. I fix any issues myself, e.g. I go to their website and find the answers online.

I can certainly recommend Ubuntu Linux to other people who may want to start using it.

I'm rating Ubuntu Linux an eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Senior System Administrator at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable and easy to use; support could be improved
  • "Stable and easy to use solution."
  • "Lacks the ability for disk expansion."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for our NFS environment. I'm a system administrator and we're customers of Ubuntu Linux.

What is most valuable?

Compared to other solutions on the market, this is a relatively suitable and good product which is stable and easy to use. Ubuntu currently serves our OpenShift environment.

What needs improvement?

The product could be better. It lacks the ability for disk expansion and is not very suitable for our needs. I also think support could be improved thereby simplifying installation.

I've been using this solution for six months.

The solution is stable.

If I need to increase the disk on Ubuntu it's just hard for us to increase in the environment so scalability is not so easy.

We don't pay for technical support so we can't use it in Turkey.

I've used Red Hat Enterprise and I prefer working in that enterprise environment so I prefer that solution.

If you have two different versions, one version can't be installed on the VMware environment. It is not suitable. I carried out the deployment myself and it took quite some time and a while to understand the program. We have an admin person and an engineer dealing with Ubuntu.

What other advice do I have?

Red Hat Enterprise is very widespread in Turkey and very few use Ubuntu. I work in an enterprise environment and I prefer Red Hat Enterprise Linux because we can easily get support. Red Hat is very widespread and Red Hat support is very responsive. I don't think I would recommend Ubuntu for anyone working in an enterprise environment. I think we'll be shifting to Red Hat at some point.

I would rate Ubuntu Linux a six out of 10.

Kevin Honde - PeerSpot reviewer
Strategy Architect at Econet Wireless Zimbabwe
Easy to use, stable, and it can be used free of charge
  • "Ubuntu is very easy to use and you can manage it on your own."
  • "If the user interface were further improved then it would be better because more people would be able to use it."

What is our primary use case?

Ubuntu is a Linux operating system and one of the applications that it hosts is my SQL database.

What is most valuable?

Ubuntu Linux is very useful as an operating system.

It has got longer support than some Linux distributions for each version that comes out, so it's good for enterprise-level organizations.

Ubuntu is very easy to use and you can manage it on your own. Compared to other Linux distributions, it is more user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Ubuntu Linux for approximately five years.

Ubuntu provides quite a stable environment.

Ubuntu is scalable and we have approximately 10 users in our organization. It is very easy to scale up and there are no licenses involved. It is just a matter of upgrading your own hardware.

We have not had any technical support issues.

We have multiple versions of Linux distributions. The suitability for each, or which one we use, depends on the demand from the vendors and developers.

It is very easy to install, and it will take approximately 30 minutes to complete.

I have done some installations myself, although most of the setup was completed by our system administrator.

It comes as free software, where there is an option for you to buy support licenses.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, I think that Ubuntu Linux is quite good. It is meeting our expectations and I recommend it.

Download our free Ubuntu Linux Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: April 2022