We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Ngole Ngole
Oracle Techno Sales consultant at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
The resource input/output management tool that allows you to manage the resources on the box.
  • "Exadata is a fantastic machine. Two features stand out. The first is the resource input/output management tool that allows you to manage the resources to the neck on the Exadata box."
  • "I liked Spark, but it was discontinued when Exadata L6 came back. I loved it, and I wish they would bring back Spark integration."

What is our primary use case?

When you talk about Exadata, the phrase that comes to mind is "database consolidation." We are consolidating 28 different databases from the revenue authority in Exadata. Fortunately, close to 70 percent of those databases are on Oracle, but they were all on Oracle 11g. We migrated them to 12c, and now we are pumping them into 19c to transfer them to the new Exadata X9M.

What is most valuable?

Exadata is a fantastic machine. Two features stand out. The first is the resource input/output management tool that allows you to manage the resources to the neck on the Exadata box.

The second feature I like is ROC. I come from a data center background, so I've been doing storage and fabric interconnection to all that stuff. With ROC, where the fabric interconnection or the Brocade goes out of use, the data goes directly from storage to computation. It's great.

What needs improvement?

I liked Spark, but it was discontinued when Exadata L6 came back. I loved it, and I wish they would bring back Spark integration.

I started working on Exadata in 2018. I was the first person in East Africa to be certified in Exadata in 2013, and I'm proud of that. In the past five months, I've been deploying Exadata for a government revenue authority as a consultant.

Exadata's database consolidation can save a lot of money. For example, one current customer was spending close to $800,000 on database licensing, but they are looking at $250,000 after consolidation.

If I walk into the office of any customer and I want to sell my Exadata, I tell the finance officer, "Boss, I plan to bring down your license costs by half." That's what I'll tell them. "If you want to see the magic, that's what I plan to do for you."

What other advice do I have?

I rate Oracle Exadata 10 out of 10.

Anoop Anoop SLK
Enterprise architect at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
Scalable, highly reliable, and stable
  • "Oracle has reliable solutions and this one is no different."
  • "In a future release, I would like to see some upgrade analysis advisors to help with a clear roadmap on steps that need to be taken and some of the automated processes."

What is our primary use case?

We are evaluating this solution to see how it compares to others. We are attempting to see the challenges and advantages and we are preparing experiments and doing tests. The solution is popular in the banking and financial insurance domains.

What is most valuable?

Oracle has reliable solutions and this one is no different.

What needs improvement?

We have experienced some performance-related challenges. I think the security could be better in the cloud at the moment from our tests.

In a future release, I would like to see some upgrade analysis advisors to help with a clear roadmap on steps that need to be taken and some of the automated processes.

I have been using this solution for approximately two years.

It is a very stable solution.

I have found the solution to be scalable.

The deployment of the solution could be made easier.

The implementation is a process and we are still working through it. It involves a lot of testing. We currently have a five-member maintenance team.

What other advice do I have?

One of the key factors determining if we use the solution is how secure is our information going to be in the cloud which we have not come to a full conclusion yet. However, the solution is really reliable and I would recommend it.

I rate Oracle Exadata an eight out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Oracle Exadata. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
565,304 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Operations BI and Data Mining Lead at SADAD Payment Systems at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
High performance, good technology, and reliable
  • "The storage capacity and the performance of Oracle Exadata are good. When comparing the performance to other technologies it is very good. I am satisfied with the management of the solution."
  • "Oracle Exadata compatibility with the analytics could be better and the OBIEE could improve. Oracle BI to Exadata needs to be improved. Even if the full analytics practice for Oracle should be improved and when compared with other solutions it is weak."

What is our primary use case?

We are the first site in the Middle East that's using Exadata as a cloud service. My data is on-premise, but my service is on cloud.

What is most valuable?

The storage capacity and the performance of Oracle Exadata are good. When comparing the performance to other technologies it is very good. I am satisfied with the management of the solution.

What needs improvement?

I used Oracle Exadata within the last 12 months.

The solution is very stable and has good performance.

Oracle Exadata is scalable.

Our clients are mostly small to medium-sized companies.

I have been satisfied with the technical support.

The installation is a medium level of difficulty. You need a skilled person to do the installation.

The price of the solution has been expensive to implement.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Oracle Exadata an eight out of ten.

System Admin at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
Very stable and mature; great at solving the I/O issue by offloading data to the SIM
  • "The offloading of data to the SIM is a valuable feature."
  • "The solution lacks a visualized console."

What is our primary use case?

I'm a system solution architect and we are Oracle customers.

What is most valuable?

The offloading of data to the SIM is the most valuable feature because it solves the issue of I/O.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see a visualized console as part of the solution.

I've been using this solution for seven years.

The product is very, very stable and mature. It's a strong and successful product.

The initial setup takes time and is complex. Implementation is generally carried out by the vendor.

The solution is expensive and the license is paid annually. It includes the database, clustering and the software for data, so you're paying for three or four software licenses plus the hardware license. If you activate any of the options, that will incur additional payment.

What other advice do I have?

It's important to be specific with your requirements, otherwise you'll be up for added costs. It's worth using the Capacity-on-Demand feature, start small and expand from there. It's easy to expand than contract so if you've taken on added resources that you don't need or won't use, it will cost you.

I rate the solution eight out of 10.

Viranjan Anawaratne
Senior Manager -Datacenter Planning and Operations at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable product that works well with Oracle hardware

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case of this solution is running the large database status regarding applications.

What needs improvement?

The cost of the product could be improved.

I have been using this solution for around ten years.

This is a very stable solution, which we have hardly any problems with.

The tech support for this product is fine, though sometimes they take some time to identify and rectify issues.

The installation took around one month.

What is our primary use case?

What needs improvement?

The cost of the product could be improved.

I have been using this solution for around ten years.

This is a very stable solution, which we have hardly any problems with.

The installation took around one month.

We installed the database using an in-house team but Oracle prefers to do the box configuration themselves.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution, particularly if you are running Oracle databases. I would rate this solution as an 8 out of 10.

President of the Board at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Just as stable as the cloud version
  • "On-premises Exadata is just as stable as the cloud version. It's a very stable platform."
  • "Setting up Exadata is complex. You need an Oracle vendor or someone who is Oracle-certified to set it up."

What needs improvement?

The technology in the on-premises version of Exadata is pretty much the same as the cloud edition. However, the cloud version is much more flexible when it comes to sizing and pricing.

Setting up Exadata is complex. You need an Oracle vendor or someone who is Oracle-certified to set it up.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Exadata eight out of 10. If you are considering this solution, I recommend first seeing what other options are available for Oracle and MPP databases. If you are familiar with Oracle and are accustomed to working with it, you should stay with Oracle. For a better price-performance ratio, I would suggest other options and MPP databases.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Implementor