Said Mokhtari - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Manager at TGR
Scalable, reliable, and good support
  • "Oracle Exadata is stable."
  • "I have found Oracle Exadata to be scalable. However, you have to purchase more hardware, such as memory."

What is our primary use case?

We use Oracle Exadata for Oracle databases.

I have been using Oracle Exadata for approximately five years.

Oracle Exadata is stable.

I have found Oracle Exadata to be scalable. However, you have to purchase more hardware, such as memory.

Everyone in the organization is using the solution in my organization.

Oracle Exadata
February 2024
Learn what your peers think about Oracle Exadata. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: February 2024.
757,198 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The technical support is good, we have not had a problem.

The initial installation is not difficult, it took two to three days to complete.

We used an integrator for the implementation of Oracle Exadata. We have qualified integrators in Morocco.

We have a few engineers and administrators doing the maintenance and support of the solution.

You have to pay for the storage and the database in Oracle Exadata. It cost a lot, but it is worth it. It would be a benefit if we could reduce the price for the number of CPUs and extend the memory.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Oracle Exadata a ten out of ten.

it_user452334 - PeerSpot reviewer
Manager, Principal Consultant at Pythian
Video Review
MSP
It's cost-effective for a lot of organizations. I would rate highly some of the specialized mechanisms that Oracle has put in place.

What is most valuable?

It's pretty simple in my opinion. It's called out the box, and it's called support. Sometimes with the engineered systems based on the support agreement that you have with the vendor, sometimes you hear about problems with your system from them rather than your applications experiencing some issues, and you're having to log a support ticket with Oracle. I think that's huge.

How has it helped my organization?

The thing that attracts them to the two products but mainly the Exadata is the storage technology is revolutionary whether it's the only solution of that flavor on the market or not, I'm not familiar with. It's the storage solution, it's the speed, and it's the high availability. If somebody wants 5 or 6 9s worth of availability, a very good place for them to be is with one of Oracles engineered system solutions.

What needs improvement?

As is always the case with Oracle, when some late-breaking fancy technology gets under their radar, self-invented or perhaps something that they're picking up that they'd like to compete with from another vendor, they're all over it. I can't specifically think of anything myself. Outside I guess of speed and maybe the other two things I could think of are speed and speed, but I'm not suggesting that speed is an enhancement because there's anything wrong with the speed of the system now, but of course we always like to do things in four nanoseconds rather than seven.

I think I would probably give it a capital S. People here peripherally hear about informational stuff that may be going on in the cluster, but as far as catastrophic events that may happen with the cluster, a lot of them in some way, shape or form are not far from self-healing. I think that's a huge advantage of an engineered system.

If you buy a quarter rack, you feel like you need more computing power, you upgrade to a half rack. You go to a 3/4 or a full rack. It's basically I guess we used to call it plug and play except a lot of us found it in the olden days, it was plug and pray. I think they've got that one licked to the max.

Sometimes it's them calling us on behalf of one of our clients, but I would find that once one figures out the best way to work with their support organization in general, but their engineered systems support organization in particular, I can't think anything outside of a world class organization. I would admit that I don't have a lot, if any, experience with the competition, but I don't feel like I need any experience with the competition because of the way they do support those two products.

A lot of the times it ends up being complaints from the user community, and difficulty with strategic activities that the system performs. If you're running a commercial off the shelf application against these engineered system, sometimes it's a little more complex to work with a third party vendor, to speed things up. Mainly it's complaints from the user community. You and I both know that if something takes four seconds all the time and takes seven seconds some of the time, all the people are going to remember is the seven seconds.

I haven't done it on a hands-on basis, but I believe that what I mentioned at the beginning about out of the box is just that. Oracle from my recollection first tried to venture into some form of engineered system in the '90s with HP. It was a red box that you basically took out of the carton and plugged in. I think that's pretty much close to what once you brought it onto the network, exactly what you're going to do with their systems, so I thinks it's plug and play.

Choosing a vendor: obviously cost, high availability, and the strength of the rack technology. It's a corner of the Oracle technology that basically not exactly gets reinvented, but the new features and the new ways of going about to do things and the capabilities of failover and all that is a huge concentration as the product matures, not that it is immature. I think that's a primary reason that people might consider looking at this. There's absolutely no doubt, it's not far from an upgrade basically being done on the fly. There's so many things that can be done online. The plague of course of the '90s and the early-2000s was downtime.

What other advice do I have?

Rating: I'd call it about a 12 out of 10. Of course you have to be able to afford the box. You have to be able to afford the configuration that you're going to be getting into. It's cost-effective for a lot of organizations, but I would rate the technology very high. Some of the specialized mechanisms that Oracle has put in place, especially with respect to Exadata and the late-breaking version of Exadata in particular.

As I said before, I'm not intimately or even somewhat peripherally familiar with the competition, but these guys know what they're doing, and my experience has been in the past that if Oracle ever plays catch-up in a technology spectrum with the competition, watch out. We all know that it's now cheap. It's affordable for a lot of organizations. If cost is going to be something, it's going to ultimately drive an organization's buy or no buy decision. The benefit after the money is spent and an ongoing outflow of cash to the vendor, if it makes business sense for somebody, I don't think they can be in a better place.

Make sure it's the right solution. Make sure that you do indeed need their real application cluster solution, which we affectionately call rack. Make sure it's right for you. It sounds corny, and it's sounds like a cliché, but it applied when I got started in IT in the 1800s, and it still applies. If it's cost-effective, go for it.

Disclosure: PeerSpot contacted the reviewer to collect the review and to validate authenticity. The reviewer was referred by the vendor, but the review is not subject to editing or approval by the vendor. The reviewer's company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We're partners.
Robin Saikat Chatterjee - PeerSpot reviewer
Robin Saikat ChatterjeeHead of Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Solutioning Technology and Architeture at Tata Consultancy Services
Top 5LeaderboardReal User

Support Stability ease of use and the guarantee that it will work well together, these are signature engineered system features. Now with the options of Eighth rack and Capacity on demand the entry level cost for a box has gone down quite a bit for the amount of flash and spinning disk you get.

Oracle Exadata
February 2024
757,198 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Humza BHatti - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Associate at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reseller
A scalable solution, but there are a lot of performance-related issues
  • "It is a scalable solution."
  • "The performance could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

You have to contact Oracle to make any changes and identify any issues. If you own the product, you may have to hire somebody who understands the product.

What needs improvement?

The performance could be improved.

This solution is deployed hybrid cloud.

There are a lot of performance-related issues that I have encountered with Oracle Exadata. You need someone with the expertise to make changes and recommend completing daily exercises for better performance.

It is a scalable solution, and I rate it an eight out of ten.

I have not contacted technical support before.

The setup requires proper security groups if you want to use it. I rate the setup an eight out of ten. Most of the users we've worked with use Oracle Exadata, but we've worked with major banks which prefer to own the solution for security purposes.

What other advice do I have?

I rate the solution a seven out of ten. Regarding advice, if you're scaling performance-wise or writing something on Oracle Exadata, you should understand how the performance works. You should also understand the cost of what the query is going to be and know the scalability.

Specialist, Database & Hadoop Administration at Robi Axiata Limited
A scalable and stable solution with good performance
  • "The tool's performance is good."
  • "The solution's pricing is very high."

What is most valuable?

The tool's performance is good.

What needs improvement?

The solution's pricing is very high.

I have been using the tool for four years.

I would rate the tool's stability an eight out of ten.

I would rate the tool's scalability an eight out of ten. Certain companies in my organization use the solution like the marketing, IT, and analytics departments.

The product's setup takes around two to three days to complete.

We rely on the local vendor company to help us with the installation.

I would rate the tool's pricing a nine out of ten.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate the product a nine out of ten.

it_user521646 - PeerSpot reviewer
Director - OSP/Engineered Systems at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It provides performance and reliability.

Valuable Features

Oracle Exadata provides very good performance and reliability. It's a highly reliable system and provides maximum performance.

Improvements to My Organization

The business outcomes are much faster; end users are very happy so they can focus on their day-to-day work rather than waiting for the computer, the response from the system. In many customer cases, reports that used to take 10-12 hours get completed in 1-2 hours, a massive reduction. A business cycle that used to take about 3-5 days to turn around can be turned around in 1 day, so that's where we optimize our business utilization; much more efficiency.

Room for Improvement

A major concern from customers is that it's very costly, but if they think about the total cost of ownership over 3-5 years, I think the total cost attests to the business readiness and it doesn't come out to be very costly.

Exadata is pretty stable. There are built-in high-availability features. For example, every component – including the power supply, the fan, the CPU, and the memory – is redundant; you're buying a highly available system.

It absolutely scales to our customers’ needs. You can start with a two-node configuration, and you can go as high as eight racks, I believe, connected together with eight nodes, so you can scale up to 64. That number might have changed recently. You can scale it very well.

Technical support is fantastic. Oracle supports Exadata customers as the top tier, and you get support when you need it. Oracle has separate Exadata support. Once you buy Exadata, you go to that dedicated team and the turnaround is very, very good.

Initial setup is complicated and you need to engage Oracle to do that. Obviously, nobody else can do that. It's complicated, but it's a part of the process.

Other Advice

It's a very good product. I think if you have a business use and can justify the cost, go and buy it. You'll never regret it.

Senior Database Consultant at Riyad Bank
Reseller
Has very good hardware and provides fast, and high performance
  • "Oracle Exadata has very good hardware."
  • "Checking the Smart Scan issues is complicated."

What is our primary use case?

I work as an Oracle Database Admin supporting databases.

What is most valuable?

Oracle Exadata has very good hardware and provides fast, and high performance.

What needs improvement?

To use Oracle Exadata's Smart Scans and have it perform faster, I have to adapt the database, the statement, and the tables.

Checking the Smart Scan issues is complicated, particularly troubleshooting the infinity band and the storage sales performance. In future releases, I would like to see more troubleshooting tools.

I have 15 years of experience working with Oracle.

Oracle support is very bad, it is not good at all. They do not provide a solution in suitable time.

The initial setup of Oracle Exadata is difficult, particularly if you want to repair the discs.

The pricing of Oracle Exadata is too high.

I evaluated IBM, the 15, to compare it with Oracle Exadata. I compared the processes and the process structure.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, I would rate the solution an eight out of ten.

it_user436020 - PeerSpot reviewer
Lead Oracle Database Administrator at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Smart Scan gives us the ability to perform a large amount of processing on the storage side.

Valuable Features

The most valuable feature would be Smart Scan because it gives us the ability to perform a large amount of processing on the storage side, cutting down on I/O tremendously. That's one of the big features that really drew us into jumping on Exadata.

We also like having the ability to have a lot of flash storage where a lot of our data can be in-memory, which speeds up transactions and processing.

Improvements to My Organization

As with any organization, before we embark on anything, we have to look at the ROI as well as the ability of a particular tool. Exadata helps us to consolidate and manage our databases as one with much faster processing. This, of course, is the key in speeding up our ability to do work and provide customer service. We're a mutual fund company, so speed is really key in providing satisfactory customer service. Exadata really gives us the key factors from an IT perspective, which are performance and availability.

Room for Improvement

There's a lot with Exadata that can be done on a black-box level which depends entirely on what the vendor is able to do for you, which is good from a certain perspective. But we hope, as this technology matures, Oracle allows customers to have a little more hands-on customization of some certain elements to better suit their environments. So we're looking forward to the ability to do greater customizations to suit our business needs.

Deployment wasn't difficult and we had no issues with it. Oracle had a bad rap in the past with customers who had bigger systems. They didn't provide them with enough assistance in order to assimilate new products and tools. But now, they've done a pretty good job of creating a very thorough cookbook, which has helped a lot with issues they we and my peers at other companies have had. Some of the issues was in the way we set up our enterprises which made it difficult to bring in and assimilate new products, but Oracle has lately done a good job of smoothing that out.

Exadata has been a very stable product once configured properly. We've had no issues with instability.

It's scaled to our needs.

We have premier-level technical support, so we have a pretty good relationship with them.

I would describe the initial setup as being of medium complexity. We're a financial insurance company, so we always want to put in a lot of rigor, in terms of security and compliance. At times, it's not our own fault, but it's our devices, but at the same time, the price of being exploited is bigger than what it takes to ensure security and compliance. The issue has been really more of the rigor that we put in ourselves, and finding a way to allow those new products and solutions to work as they were expected through our hardening that we've done on our environment.

Other Advice

We want to stay at the front of the cutting edge, and we evaluate and realize that the benefit, the return on investment that Exadata brings for a company of our magnitude and size, is tremendous. We've exploited Exadata, and it's performed very well for us.

Principal Global Database Architect at a leisure / travel company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The presence of storage indexes along with the Storage Server software, allows us to deliver better performance without indexes.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the integration of the various components that make the performance soar. More specifically the presence of storage indexes along with the Exadata Storage Server software, which delivers process offloading, allows us to deliver better performance without indexes--saving space and CPU. This innovative feature is not something we would be able to replicate with other solutions. In addition, we consider the features smart scan, smart flashcache, smart flash log and hybrid columnar compression very useful.

How has it helped my organization?

Prior to Exadata, we were relying on daily ETLs from multiple source systems to load data into base tables, then we prepared a summary and materialized views from the base to data marts which were eventually exposed to the end users. This process used to take 18 hours. So, the data was always at least 18 hours late, and occasionally later, if the ETLs failed. This caused two issues: first, most managers simply were not able to make quick decisions because the data was stale and second, for most important functions, the users got the data from our OLTP system which taxed that system's capacity.

After Exadata, we observed three immediate benefits:

• The ETLs finish in 3 hours (down from 18), making the data fresh and enabling the managers to make quick decisions. Campaigns used to take days but take a few hours now
  • Users no longer go to the OLTP system, reducing the impact there and saving us from upgrades
  • There is no need to build summaries; so some of the data is available almost immediately, allowing most decisions to be taken on near-realtime data which was impossible pre-Exadata

What needs improvement?

There are three possible enhancements:

• Build a stronger, more responsive support team.
  • Add a RAID-5 like storage layout for customers to save space with the full understanding that performance will be less (which could be fine for non-prod systems).
  • Add storage level replication without the use of Data Guard, which is quite useful in case of organizations that rely on that technology for their Disaster Recovery effort.

I've used it for 4 years

Yes; mostly due to the database version being different. We were upgrading from 10g to Exadata which ran 11g; so there were some issues we had to overcome; but those were expected. Quite honestly, our deployment was smooth in Exadata itself due to our deep understanding of the technology. Without it, I am not sure if it would have been that smooth.

Yes; the initial versions had a lot of firmware issues that caused the cells to reboot, which caused the ASM software to rebalance the diskgroups. It mostly occurred in the X2 system. The X4 system has been quite stable. However, it's important to point out that Oracle generally releases firmware updates quite fast to remove any stability issues. We encountered them because we didn't apply these due to our internal reasons.

No; scalability has been pretty awesome.

It leaves a lot to be desired. It has improved; but still a lot to go. I rate it 6 on a 10 point scale.

I gave an overall rating of 9 to Exadata X4 due to the quality of support personnel during installation and after sales events. That is going up but still leaves something to be desired.

We used Oracle database on HPUX. We switched because it was impossible to deliver performance without additional indexes. Indexes took up space and slowed down data insertion performance. Exadata solved these by enhancing performance without the need for indexes.

Oracle sends professional installers for installation and deployment. So it was fairly simple. However, as I mentioned earlier, we do have a deep technical expertise base so it worked in our favor. Without that expertise, I can't be sure if would not have been complex.

We implemented everything with our in house team.

Yes, we did evaluate Teradata, Netezza and Greenplum.

What other advice do I have?

First and foremost, develop or hire a deep technical talent base inhouse, even if it's just one person. The technical role is called Database Machine Administrator (DMA). Planning is winning half the battle. There are tiny little things that makes a big difference. For instance, how to decide whether to keep the indexes you have--it's not something you can outsource. Second, get the installation checklist (detailed) from Oracle and establish SLAs for each item meticulously along with the hand off details. Third, if you don't have it, consider Oracle Enterprise Manager Grid Control to manage the Exadata system. Fourth, decide to use Oracle Platinum Support (free for Exadata) from day one. Finally, get ready to be wowed.

The innovative use of all the technologies integrated so creatively and functionally that it provides an immense performance boost impossible to attain with do it yourself systems. For instance the secret sauce is Exadata Storage Server (ESS) software, which is unique to Exadata, can't be replicated even with other massively parallel systems.

it_user3309 - PeerSpot reviewer
it_user3309Presenter at a consultancy

Arup -- I agree don't go too wild applies to anything. However, people read these things about Exadata and go wild OR just do nothing so as to keep everything the same. And not many people talk about Oracle Text Indexes and how different the behaviour.

Also in your "travels on Exadata" have you seen any effect of gathering system statistics with the 'EXADATA' parameter?

Download our free Oracle Exadata Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: February 2024