IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
System & Infrastructure Consultant at CBI
MSP
Single location management, intuitive interface, and simple implmentation

What is our primary use case?

I am using Nutanix Prism for many types of equipment, such as servers, SAN switches, and storage areas. You are able to manage your infrastructure from one central location, such as VMs and servers.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Nutanix Prism is the single location management. You can manage everything from one location HTML5 web interface which is highly intuitive. The solution is easy to use, you do not need to be an expert in storage.

What needs improvement?

Nutanix Prism could improve by having more features or configurations in the web interface. We should not have to use the command-line interface(CLI). For some clients using the CLI can be difficult.

I have been using Nutanix Prism for approximately six years.

Virtualization Management Tools
July 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Nutanix, VMware, Dell Technologies and others in Virtualization Management Tools. Updated: July 2022.
621,327 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Nutanix Prism is highly stable. I experienced all three types of installation, Hyper-V, ESXi, and AHV. For Hyper-V, there are a lot of instabilities.

The initial setup of Nutanix Prism is very simple. You do not have to perform any difficult operations. When you deploy your cluster and perform the workloads, it's called Foundation. When you have completed this, Prism's is accessible. For Prism Element, no configuration is required. The configuration is available once you have deployed your cluster.

The Prism Central, you only have to download a virtual appliance that is available from the Nutanix website. You deploy it where the VM is. You only have to administer your cluster and then you can manage everything in the new platform, it's very easy.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Nutanix Prism a nine out of ten.

Sr. Customer Support Engineer at Magnamious Systems Pvt. Ltd.
Stable and scalable but difficult to manage

What is our primary use case?

I mainly use Prism for the database file server.

What needs improvement?

Prism is not very user-friendly, particularly in its upgrade process, compared to vSAN. They don't really provide support for long-term services but offer upgrades very frequently, which means we don't always have the time to update to the newest version. Both configuration and manageability are complicated too.

I've been using Nutanix Prism for six years.

Prism is stable, but the frequent updates cause interruptions.

Prism is easy to scale.

The technical support is fine, we usually get support within the same day as logging an issue. However, they don't make their tech articles easily available, unlike Lenovo or Dell, which makes it harder to solve problems on your own.

The initial setup was moderate - I would rate it six out of ten. It took three to four days to set up, compared to one or two days for vSAN.

The license for Prism is costlier than other VMs.

What other advice do I have?

I would not recommend Prism and would rate it seven out of ten.

Virtualization Management Tools
July 2022
621,327 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Ability to have a single point to match things and simplicity of use are key benefits

What is our primary use case?

We have a data center and provide licenses to our customers. Our company uses this solution on private cloud and our customers generally use it on-prem. We are partners and resellers of Nutanix and I'm a systems engineer.

What is most valuable?

I like the simplicity of use and the ability to have a single point to match things.

What needs improvement?

We've been waiting a long time for micro application using a company's provider, that would be a good improvement. The cost of the solution is quite high and I'd like to see that lowered.

I've been using this solution for six years.

I think the technical support of Nutanix is one of the best supports I have used.

The initial setup is straightforward and takes about an hour.

In addition to the standard licensing fees there are extra costs for some functionalities such as capacity planning using Prism Pro.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a 10 out of 10.

Private Cloud
Download our free Virtualization Management Tools Report and find out what your peers are saying about Nutanix, VMware, Dell Technologies, and more!
Updated: July 2022