Systems Administrator at Dairibord
Great performance and useful for running email system
  • "One of the most valuable features is MySQL's ability to run our email system. We use a system called Colab."
  • "MySQL could be improved by adding more automation."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for MySQL is for running applications on our Linux boxes. We have very few applications that run online, but we use MySQL on those boxes, primarily for our email system. We haven't considered working on cloud, so all our solutions are on-premises.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

MySQL could be improved by adding more automation. There are no additional features I would like to see that I can think of at the moment.

I have been using MySQL for a few years.

MySQL
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about MySQL. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
654,218 professionals have used our research since 2012.

This product is stable. I'm very satisfied with the performance.

Since MySQL is running our email system, there are around 200 users. It's installed on one of the servers and the admins are the ones who interact with the system itself if the need arises.

I have never contacted Oracle's technical support. If we have any issues, we've got some recommended support people here in Zimbabwe that we contact.

I didn't use any other solution before implementing MySQL. We also use MariaDB, but not on a very big scale.

The installation was a very straightforward process. It took about a day and we did it ourselves.

We implemented through an in-house team. One person, the admin, can handle it.

We are using the free version of MySQL. We prefer paying for a yearly license.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution an eight out of ten. I would recommend this solution to others and I'm very satisfied with its performance.

Founder at Art World Web Solutions
Easy to integrate and reasonably priced but the memory consumption needs to be improved
  • "The connectivity with PHP is quite good."
  • "On the database side, it should be really lightweight, and the data structure should be like MongoDB."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for the database.

What is most valuable?

The connectivity with PHP is quite good.

It is easy to integrate, and the fees are less than Oracle and other services.

What needs improvement?

MySQL is good but it should be able to handle the large transaction levels that Oracle can. It should be able to manage large amounts of data. We have experienced some issues when we are handling a large amount of data in MySQL.

The memory consumption it's using is very high at times, and the default parameter settings are not quite good automatically. We need to tweak the configuration as per the requirements. This is an area that can be improved by giving some guidelines and direction.

It should put less load on to the memory and it should be able to handle maximum data.

I have been working with MySQL for approximately five years.

The solution is stable but there is an issue with memory consumption at times.

I have not contacted technical support. I am using MySQL with Zabbix and when I have an issue, I contact Zabbix who resolves the issues on their end.

I am a developer and I handle the other side of things. I rely on the DB team to handle the maintenance and deployment. My knowledge is very basic.

It's cheaper than other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

For one level of data, you can use MySQL. However, for large amounts of data, you will have to find other databases.

Overall, it's a good solution.

I would rate MySQL a six out of ten.

MySQL
November 2022
654,218 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Ariful Mondal - PeerSpot reviewer
Consulting Practice Partner - Data, Analytics & AI at FH
ExpertModerator
Open-source, good documentation, and the multiplatform support includes Linux, Windows and Mac
  • "It's a good tool, a good database platform."
  • "It could be more secure."

What is our primary use case?

I used MySQL for academic purposes. I use it for learning purposes.

You can start anything with MySQL.

You can build your own app, and store your data.

It's a free solution for development purposes.

What is most valuable?

It's a good tool, a good database platform. Everything you can do, you can do for free.

I like that it's open-source and that it's free.

What needs improvement?

Typically security will be on a security layer. I haven't really looked into the security of it, but it should be good.

It could be more secure.

I have been using MySQL for 16 or 17 years.

It's a stable solution.

We have trained hundreds of users.

I will continue to use this solution for learning purposes.

We have not contacted technical support.

You can download it and start using it.

It's very easy to install. It's a one-click Windows installation.

You can install and configure everything in a half-hour to one hour.

There is a lot of documentation available.

The maintenance can be done by anyone who has installed and used it.

I have never used the enterprise level of MySQL.

I use the open-source free community version.

I am sure that the Enterprise version of MySQL is cheaper than Microsoft SQL Server, or IBM and Oracle.

It's cheaper than other tools.

What other advice do I have?

For anyone who wants to learn SQL, MySQL is free on Linux, Windows, or Mac Operating Systems.

MySQL can be deployed anywhere on the cloud or on a PC.

I would rate MySQL an eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Managing Director at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
Fully scalable relational database management system with good stability; setting it up was easy and straightforward
  • "Fully scalable and stable SQL-based RDBMS, with a straightforward and easy setup."
  • "Even for the best database, we always want the database to perform much better, so we wish MySQL would be much better, in terms of performance."

What is our primary use case?

We're using MySQL for data warehousing and logging.

What needs improvement?

Even for the best database, we always want the database to perform much better, so we wish MySQL would be much better, in terms of performance. When they release a new version, they mostly concentrate on scalability and performance.

I've been using MySQL for seven years.

The stability of MySQL is good.

MySQL is a fully scalable product.

The initial setup of MySQL was easy and straightforward. You can complete the initial setup for this product within a few hours.

It was the technical team who did the setup for MySQL. We had two or three engineers who took care of the deployment and maintenance of this product.

MySQL is very cheap. In fact, it could be free. They also have a yearly licensing option. I don't remember paying for additional costs, aside from the standard licensing fee.

I evaluated Oracle Database.

What other advice do I have?

I'm using the Enterprise version of MySQL.

MySQL is a good database. We are using it, and we'll continue to use it.

I've never contacted the technical support team for MySQL. I have no complaints.

I can recommend MySQL to others who plan to start implementing it.

We don't ask for new features on a database. When we take a database, we take it because of fixed features, e.g. its current features. It's not an application. It's a database. We are fine with whatever features MySQL offers now. We never really thought about whether we want more features on this product.

I'm rating MySQL an eight out of ten.

Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Has a lot of documentation and bug fixing is better in the latest version

What is our primary use case?

It is deployed on local servers, and we are using version 8. The whole company uses our database. Our users don't communicate with the database directly. They use a web interface. All programs are deployed using MySQL. We have hundreds of thousands of users accessing MySQL via the website. Two of us manage the database, but it's enough for only one person to manage daily operations.

How has it helped my organization?

As we are using the latest version of the database, it has many functions that have improved it. There are many new features in this version, and it is more powerful in what it can achieve.

What is most valuable?

MySQL has a lot of documentation, and bug fixing is better in the latest version.

We have been using MySQL for about 20 years.

It is very stable.

MySQL is scalable. We didn't scale it via the database tools provided but on the program side. However, it is easy to scale it using the functions provided with the product.

The support is fast and helps to find faster fixes to existing bugs. They recently advised us to downgrade to fix one particular bug, which resolved the problem we were having.We only use technical support for bug fixes, and the calls are usually closed quickly.

I was able to install it myself in about half an hour.

MySQL is free.

We have also used PhpStorm and DataGrip.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend that others use MySQL. I would rate it 10 out of 10.

Freelance Software Engineer + Director of a company at a outsourcing company with 1-10 employees
Easy to install, easy to handle, and suitable for a limited amount of data
  • "My main reason for using MySQL for this small customer database company and for some kinds of scientific projects was that I had to do the installation myself. I didn't have a database administration team behind me. Therefore, I was looking for something very easy to handle. MySQL is easy to install, connect, and do all such things."
  • "Its scalability can be better. It is probably not as scalable as Oracle. I had some issues with connectors. I used it from a C++ program, and it required some work to make it run, but finally, it worked."

What is our primary use case?

I used it for a small customer database company in England with 20 employees. They didn't have that much data, and we needed something easy to install and easy to run. This was my use case for it.

What is most valuable?

My main reason for using MySQL for this small customer database company and for some kinds of scientific projects was that I had to do the installation myself. I didn't have a database administration team behind me. Therefore, I was looking for something very easy to handle. MySQL is easy to install, connect, and do all such things.

What needs improvement?

Its scalability can be better. It is probably not as scalable as Oracle.

I have been using this solution for two or three years.

I used it for a small customer database company in England with 20 employees. There were only two people using it. It was really a small solution. For this purpose, it was perfect, but I'm not sure how it scales. It was just not an issue in this case because we had very little data.

Their technical support is fine.

It is easy to install. It takes just a few hours.

What other advice do I have?

I will probably keep on using this solution. If you have a limited amount of data you want to store in the database, and you don't want to spend a lot of time on administration, it is certainly fine.

I would rate MySQL a ten out of ten. It was perfect for our use case.

Hector Cuna - PeerSpot reviewer
Sysad Database Administrator Lead at USSC
A stable solution with a community version, but the enterprise manager license should cover more virtual machines
  • "It has a community version. When I have to create a new database, I have no problems with licenses."
  • "It can have better monitoring. In addition, the enterprise manager should be able to cater to more than one virtual machine. Currently, you need one license per server. It seems a bit too much to get one license for one enterprise manager. I hope the enterprise manager for MySQL can accommodate more virtual machines for MySQL."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for financial transactions such as money remittance.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

It can have better monitoring. In addition, the enterprise manager should be able to cater to more than one virtual machine. Currently, you need one license per server. It seems a bit too much to get one license for one enterprise manager. I hope the enterprise manager for MySQL can accommodate more virtual machines for MySQL.

I have been using this solution for a decade.

It is stable.

We have categorized the amount of data we have as big data, although we haven't really been using it much.

We have 2,000 people in our company, and we have over 100 virtual machines installed with MySQL.

Because we are using the community version, we haven't had the chance to contact the technical support of MySQL.

It is easy for us. After a few trials or installing it a few times, we have benchmarked and created best practices for installing it.

It has a community version.

What other advice do I have?

If you are not into command-line usage, I don't think MySQL is for you. I found MySQL easier to use by using the command line rather than by using the workbench. The workbench is comparatively slow, especially when exporting.

I would rate MySQL a seven out of ten.

Anays Micolod - PeerSpot reviewer
Programmeuse Python 3 at Université Grenoble Alpes
Has easy access to data, is easy to grasp, and has good documentation
  • "The easy access to the data and the ability to sort the data with multiple methods are very valuable features."
  • "Sometimes, I get lost in the toggles and buttons, and a better visual design would be nice. The layout is not user-friendly or efficient."

What is our primary use case?

I'm using it to create a small database for a project that I'm working on.

What is most valuable?

It's quite easy to grasp and is really well documented, which are huge plus points.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes, I get lost in the toggles and buttons, and a better visual design would be nice. The layout is not user-friendly or efficient.

I would like to be able to sort the data easily without having to do a request to get the table out of the database into the web page. At present, I can't do it directly inside MySQL; I have to do a request and print out my request into a web page.

The stability is really good. I haven't had any issues with it.

The scalability is good.

The initial setup is easy.

I learned to use it in class, and the setup was quite fast because the teacher really helped us to gain access and take the first few steps. The setup took a few hours at most.

I installed it myself.

I use a free version at present.

What other advice do I have?

Plan how the data will be constructed. I had to delete an entire database and start over because I didn't organize it properly. That was a huge block.

I would rate MySQL at eight on a scale from one to ten.