Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more
Associate Manager at a consultancy with 501-1,000 employees
Easy to use and very good for quickly integrating a huge amount of data

What is our primary use case?

We are using Informatica PowerCenter to process the data of the files in the landing zone. These files contain a huge amount of data, and Informatica PowerCenter is the source for us to push the data to Azure Synapse. We are using its latest version.

What is most valuable?

Informatica PowerCenter is very good for integrating a huge amount of data in a very short duration, such as a minute.

It is also very easy to use. After you provide the source and the target, mappings are automatically done, which makes it easy to use for the development team.

What needs improvement?

Its scalability can be improved. It is not scalable.

I have been using this solution for one year.

Informatica PowerCenter
September 2022
Learn what your peers think about Informatica PowerCenter. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
635,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We have not experienced any technical challenges with this solution.

It is not scalable. Currently, we have three users of this solution.

We have not experienced any technical challenges with this solution.

There is no installation. After they provide the URL, you just log in. You just need the server details, and you can just log in with your Windows credentials.

Our client has purchased the license, and we are using it.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. I would rate Informatica PowerCenter an eight out of ten.

Parwaz Khan - PeerSpot reviewer
Head of Data Analytics at Bupa Arabia
Simple implementation, easy to develop in, but single interfaced needed
  • "The most valuable features of Informatica PowerCenter are the ease of use, and development, and is simple to find resources."
  • "Informatica PowerCenter could improve by having a single interface because half of the system is still in the legacy interface and many other elements are moved to the developer client. It would be good if there was a single interface for the end user and developers."

What is our primary use case?

Informatica PowerCenter is a data integration tool.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of Informatica PowerCenter are the ease of use, and development, and is simple to find resources.

What needs improvement?

Informatica PowerCenter could improve by having a single interface because half of the system is still in the legacy interface and many other elements are moved to the developer client. It would be good if there was a single interface for the end user and developers.

In the next release, Informatica PowerCenter would be beneficial to have run time column propagation. Other solutions have this feature but it is missing in this solution.

I have been using Informatica PowerCenter for approximately 18 years.

Informatica PowerCenter is stable.

The scalability of Informatica PowerCenter is good.

We have approximately seven people using the solution.

The support is good from Informatica PowerCenter and they have been responsive.

I rate the support from Informatica PowerCenter an eight out of ten.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The implementation of Informatica PowerCenter is easy.

The price of Informatica PowerCenter is expensive, but it does give value.

What other advice do I have?

This is an amazing solution. If I ranked it in terms of all of the data integration solutions, I would rank it first.

I rate Informatica PowerCenter a seven out of ten.

Informatica PowerCenter
September 2022
635,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Information Technology Security Analyst at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to set up and quick to deploy, good support, and unstructured data can be imported
  • "What I like the most is that we have to deal with less while writing the queries."
  • "I would like to see it be able to import data from NoSQL."

What is most valuable?

The unstructured data can now be imported into Informatica PowerCenter. This is an achievement for them.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see it be able to import data from NoSQL.

I have been using Informatica PowerCenter for approximately three months.

It's a stable product.

We are using this solution for seven to eight hours per day. We are using it frequently.

Informatica is scalable, it's perfect. There are no changes required for this solution.

We have not had any issues with technical support. They are fine.

I started coding in SQL, then looked up Informatica directly.

The initial setup is not that complex.

It takes less than a day but more than an hour to deploy this solution.

We are satisfied with the pricing. The licensing is on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this to my friends as well as anyone who is interested in using this solution.

I would rate Informatica PowerCenter a ten out of ten.

Private Cloud
Senior Data Architect at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Cloud-based, good performance, stable, and connects well with multiple sources
  • "The number of docs has been reduced drastically, which is very good."
  • "The real-time database connectivity when getting the real-time data using the VPN is an area that needs improvement."

What is most valuable?

We like that it is cloud-based and the performance is good. The number of docs has been reduced drastically, which is very good.

What needs improvement?

If you were migrating or connecting with multiple sources, initially there were issues that caused network latency. In the latest version, there are fewer bugs.

Being able to generate reports on all of the status of the monitoring tools and the job qualities would be very helpful to provide to the operational team.

I have been working with Informatica PowerCenter for 12 years.

We are using version 10.4.1, which is the latest version.

It is very stable. It's a solution that has been in place for 20 or 22 years.

The initial setup is straightforward. It is very easy.

When compared with Linux or Windows, it was very easy and simple to install.

It takes two days maximum to implement one nanometer.

What other advice do I have?

When compared with other ETL or ELP tools, Informatica PowerCenter is the best for connecting to multiple sources, which is better when you have large loads.

I would definitely rate Informatica PowerCenter a nine out of ten.

Hari Kathireshan - PeerSpot reviewer
Sr Staff Data and Information Architect at General Electric
A solution that performs well with high volume loads, but should have more guidance and documentation

What is our primary use case?

I use this solution for everything from real-time processing to complex, high-volume batch workflows.

What needs improvement?

In terms of performance improvement and tuning, there should be a bit more guidance and documentation. I would also like to see improvement on some of the installation, especially to the adapters. The setup for the SAP adapters is a bit complex.

I have been using this solution for the past eight years.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable. Around 50 employees are using the solution every day at our company. We would like to continue using it and also evaluate using the cloud version.

I would rate the technical support as a four out of five.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The initial set up was easy. It wasn't cumbersome.

Deployment took about a day, and we handled it ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend that others considering the solution go ahead and use it for any batch and high volume loads with complex transactions. Informatica performs very well. I would rate it as an eight out of ten.

SureshSwaminathan - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Software Engineer at Depository Trust & Clearing Corporation
Doesn't require many resources but it is lacking monitoring features

What is our primary use case?

We use it for ETL. We have multiple systems, we extract the data, and create a report from it.

What is most valuable?

If the systems get migrated or upgraded, the amount of resources required are very minimal. We can change the connections and establish a new connection. It's very helpful.

What needs improvement?

We need another tool for monitoring. It would be easier if all the features were consolidated into one tool.

I have been using PowerCenter for two years.

We don't have any problems with scalability. You can increase the nodes and it has good performance.

We have around 25 users.

We have two to three employees for maintenance.

I haven't had much experience with Informatica's support. We haven't had any issues that we needed their help for.

The initial setup was complex. It depends on the security you're working on. There are no pre-defined rules. We have to create the rules and then start working on it.

It's very expensive. We have other tools that are more reasonably priced. PowerCenter is very costly.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend PowerCenter depending on the use case.

I would rate it a seven out of ten.

RemonHanna - PeerSpot reviewer
Data Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Feature rich, user-friendly, and straightforward installation

What is our primary use case?

We are using Informatica PowerCenter for data integration in a health insurance company.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspects of Informatica PowerCenter are the many features, ease of use, and user-friendliness.

What needs improvement?

The performance of Informatica PowerCenter could improve.

I have been using Informatica PowerCenter for approximately five years.

Informatica PowerCenter is a stable solution.

I have found Informatica PowerCenter to be scalable.

I have not used the technical support from Informatica PowerCenter.

We have used Data Quality, EDC, Axon, and Metadata Manager.

The initial installation of Informatica PowerCenter was straightforward. The amount of time it takes for the process depends on the deployment site, and how many maps, workflows, and tables there are.

The time it took used for the deployment was approximately two hours.

For the implementation of Informatica PowerCenter, we used one or two developers and one person from the DBA team.

I did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Informatica PowerCenter an eight out of ten.

Dusanka Mladenovic - PeerSpot reviewer
Data Architect at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Reliable with a good visual tool for data mapping; UI is outdated and configuration complicated

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for ETL and data transformation and we are customers of Informatica.

What is most valuable?

This is an old and reliable product. I like the visual tool for data mapping and the workflow manager.

What needs improvement?

I think the UI could be improved, it's a little outdated. Configuration is  complicated and could be simplified; it requires experience, and not many people have that.

I've been using this solution for one month.

Our data engineers are dealing with big data and large files which Informatica is capable of dealing with.

I know that support is available but I've never contacted Informatica. I go to the documentation supply tool to solve any issues.

The initial setup is dependent on the requirements of an organization. Sometimes it's more complicated. It requires and administrator who does everything, and eventually testers are brought in for specific workflows. Each environment requires a different deployment. Maintenance is carried out in-house.

What other advice do I have?

PowerCenter requires some discipline in terms of the implementation process, and because it is dealing with databases, there are several layers of protection and authorization.

Download our free Informatica PowerCenter Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: September 2022