We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Information Technology Security Analyst at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to set up and quick to deploy, good support, and unstructured data can be imported
  • "What I like the most is that we have to deal with less while writing the queries."
  • "I would like to see it be able to import data from NoSQL."

What is most valuable?

The unstructured data can now be imported into Informatica PowerCenter. This is an achievement for them.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see it be able to import data from NoSQL.

I have been using Informatica PowerCenter for approximately three months.

It's a stable product.

We are using this solution for seven to eight hours per day. We are using it frequently.

Informatica is scalable, it's perfect. There are no changes required for this solution.

We have not had any issues with technical support. They are fine.

I started coding in SQL, then looked up Informatica directly.

The initial setup is not that complex.

It takes less than a day but more than an hour to deploy this solution.

We are satisfied with the pricing. The licensing is on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this to my friends as well as anyone who is interested in using this solution.

I would rate Informatica PowerCenter a ten out of ten.

Private Cloud
Senior Data Architect at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Cloud-based, good performance, stable, and connects well with multiple sources
  • "The number of docs has been reduced drastically, which is very good."
  • "The real-time database connectivity when getting the real-time data using the VPN is an area that needs improvement."

What is most valuable?

We like that it is cloud-based and the performance is good. The number of docs has been reduced drastically, which is very good.

What needs improvement?

If you were migrating or connecting with multiple sources, initially there were issues that caused network latency. In the latest version, there are fewer bugs.

Being able to generate reports on all of the status of the monitoring tools and the job qualities would be very helpful to provide to the operational team.

I have been working with Informatica PowerCenter for 12 years.

We are using version 10.4.1, which is the latest version.

It is very stable. It's a solution that has been in place for 20 or 22 years.

The initial setup is straightforward. It is very easy.

When compared with Linux or Windows, it was very easy and simple to install.

It takes two days maximum to implement one nanometer.

What other advice do I have?

When compared with other ETL or ELP tools, Informatica PowerCenter is the best for connecting to multiple sources, which is better when you have large loads.

I would definitely rate Informatica PowerCenter a nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Informatica PowerCenter. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
566,406 professionals have used our research since 2012.
SureshSwaminathan
Senior Software Engineer at Depository Trust & Clearing Corporation
Doesn't require many resources but it is lacking monitoring features

What is our primary use case?

We use it for ETL. We have multiple systems, we extract the data, and create a report from it.

What is most valuable?

If the systems get migrated or upgraded, the amount of resources required are very minimal. We can change the connections and establish a new connection. It's very helpful.

What needs improvement?

We need another tool for monitoring. It would be easier if all the features were consolidated into one tool.

I have been using PowerCenter for two years.

We don't have any problems with scalability. You can increase the nodes and it has good performance.  We have around 25 users.  We have two to three employees for maintenance.

How

What needs improvement?

I have been using PowerCenter for two years.

We have around 25 users.

We have two to three employees for maintenance.

I haven't had much experience with Informatica's support. We haven't had any issues that we needed their help for.

The initial setup was complex. It depends on the security you're working on. There are no pre-defined rules. We have to create the rules and then start working on it.

It's very expensive. We have other tools that are more reasonably priced. PowerCenter is very costly.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend PowerCenter depending on the use case.

I would rate it a seven out of ten.

Associate Director at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good performance with easy to use interface; good documentation provided
  • "Good interface, reasonable documentation."
  • "Lacks ability to calculate cost of the product."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for building data warehouses for clients with data visualization tools. We need to pull data from other sources so we use Informatica as the ETL. The solution is generally deployed on-prem but sometimes on cloud.

What is most valuable?

The solution provides good performance with an easy to use interface and reasonable documentation.

What needs improvement?

One of the things that I found lacking is that there should be some sort of a calculator where you can input your requirements regarding the number of data switches required, number of users, and the number of data switches in order to get a general idea of cost. It would save me time rather than having to run to the company to get the information.

The solution is stabl.

It's a scalable solution.

I haven't had any issues with technical support.

This is an expensive solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Lead BI&A Consultant at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Stable, easy to install, and has a good graphical user interface

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for ETL processes.

What is most valuable?

It has a very good graphical interface. It has the possibility to intervene in the automatic ETL.  It has a lot of components.  It has a Data Catalog that uses the Model repository.

What needs improvement?

The pricing could be improved.

I have been providing Informatica PowerCenter since 2005.

Informatica PowerCenter is a very stable product.

Technical support could be faster.

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for ETL processes.

What is most valuable?

It has a very good graphical interface.

It has the possibility to intervene in the automatic ETL.

It has a lot of components.

It has a Data Catalog that uses the Model repository.

What needs improvement?

The pricing could be improved.

I have been providing Informatica PowerCenter since 2005.

Informatica PowerCenter is a very stable product.

Technical support could be faster.

The latest versions are easy to install because it's cloud-based. You needed approximately four hours to install the older versions.

It's quite expensive.

Our customers pay a licensing fee yearly.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. It is also a question of the purpose and how big the company is. It's an investment.

I would rate Informatica PowerCenter a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Database Administrator and Applications Specialist at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
Utilized to ease and speed up building integrations between applications

What is our primary use case?

Integration between different applications, such as Hospital Information Systems built on AS400 and in-house legacy. It is old data structure file based as opposed to relational. Therefore, it was very difficult to connect and integrate with other new applications. We used Informatica to read from our Hospital Information System and transform the data into a relational model in order to speed up reporting and do cleansing of the data. We also used Informatica to integrate SQL Server based applications with our Oracle applications.

How has it helped my organization?

Ease and speed of building integrations, especially integrations between different applications, such as our Hospital Information System.

What is most valuable?

The GUI.

For how long

What is our primary use case?

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

The GUI.

10 years.

Its maintenance is expensive.

Yes, we evaluated SSIS and IBM. We also looked at additional features in Informatica.

Team Lead Manager at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Excellent technical support and an easy setup
  • "The technical support is excellent."
  • "There is a need to buy a separate license if one wishes to connect with some kind of SAP system, such as SalesForce."

What needs improvement?

PowerCenter has yet to announce additional features. The face that it has not made improvements is fine, as it is very easy to integrate. We are in touch with the vendors of products other than Informatica PowerCenter.

The reason I chose to rate the solution as a nine out of ten is because there is a need to buy a separate license if one wishes to connect with some kind of SAP system, such as SalesForce.

I've been using Informatica PowerCenter for more than 16 years.

The technical support is excellent.

The initial setup is easy.

The price is mostly reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

I am satisfied with the solution.

I rate Informatica PowerCenter as a nine out of ten.

Download our free Informatica PowerCenter Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.