We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Senior Consultant at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to use, fairly powerful, good integrations, and useful for quick development
  • "It is easy to use, and it is quick for developing things. It is fairly powerful, and it can integrate with a lot of different platforms without much hassle."
  • "Its interface can be modernized. It is an old product. I have been working with it for 14 years, and it still looks the same. It hasn't been modernized much. It also needs to handle more modern formats, such as JSON files. It works with the old text files and databases, but it does not always work with the newer, modern stuff. You need to make your own programs to support that kind of stuff. Support is also a kind of difficult with Informatica. They don't do direct support and rely on using their distributors around the globe for support, which means that you kind of have to go through this layer of different companies before you get help."

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Its interface can be modernized. It is an old product. I have been working with it for 14 years, and it still looks the same. It hasn't been modernized much.

It also needs to handle more modern formats, such as JSON files. It works with the old text files and databases, but it does not always work with the newer, modern stuff. You need to make your own programs to support that kind of stuff.

Support is also a kind of difficult with Informatica. They don't do direct support and rely on using their distributors around the globe for support, which means that you kind of have to go through this layer of different companies before you get help.

I have been using this solution for about 14 years.

It is stable.

It has a cluster repository kind of thing where you can add multiple server nodes.

That's actually one of the parts that are kind of difficult with Informatica. They don't do direct support. They rely on using their distributors around the globe for support. In Norway, there is a specific company that has the license to sell Informatica, and they also provide the support, which means that whenever there is a problem, you kind of have to go through this layer of different companies before you get help.

It requires consultants. I won't be able to do it by myself. I would need some help to do it.

Whenever we need to do an upgrade, we need to call a consultant to do it. It takes about a week for the preparation and all other stuff.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others depending on whether they are on-prem based or cloud-based. If most of their data is on-prem, I would recommend this solution. If they are not on-prem, I would recommend looking for another tool that is more suitable.

I would rate Informatica PowerCenter an eight out of ten.

CIO at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable, easy to use, and integrates well with multiple systems
  • "Once you have learned Informatica, it is very easy to use."
  • "The documentation could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

One of my use cases is integrating personnel data from multiple systems.

What is most valuable?

Once you have learned Informatica, it is very easy to use.

The feedback that I have received from team members is that they found it easy to work with.

What needs improvement?

It is very difficult to learn.

The documentation could be improved. For example, if they were to create a system like SAS Books or IBM Redbooks that includes books on how to install, and how to troubleshoot problems, then it would be great.

I would like to see a centralized dashboard that can be used to access all of the Informatica products, rather than having a set of fragmented applications. A consolidated system with everything in a single platform would make it easier for technicians, as well as when it comes to purchasing it. That would be amazing.

I have been using Informatica PowerCenter for two years.

This is a stable product that has been around for a long time.

We have approximately eight people who use Informatica in the organization.

The customer service is good but they can't move you through the entire installation and troubleshooting process.

I also have experience with solutions from IBM, SAS, and other vendors.

My IT team was responsible for the deployment. Our team has approximately 12 people and they are responsible for installation and maintenance, including upgrades.

I consider this to be an expensive product.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, Informatica is a good product that is very difficult to learn but once you learn it, it's very easy to use. It is a product that I can recommend using.

Learn what your peers think about Informatica PowerCenter. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
563,780 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Saravana Babu
Project Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Good monitoring tools and reporting, but integration can be challenging
  • "The most valuable features are the monitoring tools and the reporting manager."
  • "Integrating new tools can be tricky and challenging."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is one of the products that we implement for our clients.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the monitoring tools and the reporting manager.

What needs improvement?

Integrating new tools can be tricky and challenging.

I have been working with Informatica PowerCenter for more than five years.

I have not seen any issues with respect to stability.

We have been in frequent contact with the Informatical help center. It is not only me but other people in the company. They have been very good at supporting us.

We were using the cloud version of PowerCenter with one of our clients, but they have since moved to MuleSoft.

Usually, the initial setup for PowerCenter is straightforward. The is nothing complex about it. However, if you are integrating new tools or if you are putting in an adapter for a product like the Amazon Cloud Service or RedShift, it will be challenging.

The price of this solution is high.

With an interval of every couple of years, they upgrade to a new version and stop supporting the previous versions. At this point, you need to acquire a new license.

If you are looking to add a new adapter then it will be more costly.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is that if you are looking for a traditional on-premises service, PowerCenter is a good option to stick with. If on the other hand, you want a cloud-based service then there are better options.

In summary, this is a good product, and other than integrating with other tools, I don't face any challenges.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Technical Lead at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Plenty of connectors, high performance, and responsive technical support
  • "We have found the PowerCenter and B2B data transformation most valuable."
  • "The solution can improve by providing more connectivity by having native ODBC or JDBC connections available. It will be easier and more people could start using it."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Informatica PowerCenter for our data warehouse to generate reports from heterogeneous data sources from XML, JSON, or CSV databases. We then do some transformations to generate XML ISO standards to send to regulators in Europe and UK.

What is most valuable?

We have found the PowerCenter and B2B data transformation most valuable. Additionally, they have many native connectors, high performance, and a lot of support documentation.

What needs improvement?

The solution can improve by providing more connectivity by having native ODBC or JDBC connections available. It will be easier and more people could start using it.

I have been using this solution for approximately 10 years.

The solution is stable.

We have approximately 40 people using this solution regularly in my organization.

The solution is not as scalable as the cloud solutions, we will be releasing it in a few years.

The technical support has been responsive and we were in contact with them quickly. We were very satisfied.

The initial setup was easy. The full implementation took approximately two weeks.

Our internal technical team did the implementation and handles the maintenance of the solution. The maintenance team makes sure Informatica services are started and are up and running.

The solution is in the middle price range compared to other solutions. There are additional costs if you want other features. For example, more connectors or the use of other solutions, such as Snowflake.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Informatica PowerCenter a nine out of ten.

Resource Manager at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Simple to deploy with a host of features
  • "Deployment was simple and straightforward."
  • "An issue which should be addressed is that the solution only allows us to do structured, as opposed to unstructured, data processing."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for businesses that wish to analyze their raw data. The solution allows us to do data cleansing and to transform the raw data into useful, insightful information.

What is most valuable?

Informatica PowerCenter is a very strong tool which offers a host of features. We can use heterogeneous data to easily merge and derive the useful information. Also, flag files processing is very useful.

What needs improvement?

An issue which should be addressed is that the solution only allows us to do structured, as opposed to unstructured, data processing. Also, the EPA related data processing should be improved.

Processing capabilities should be streamlined.

I prefer a third party scheduler tool to that of Informatica scheduler, since the latter is not one which is very physical. The solution is not so helpful if one wishes to perform multiple tasks simultaneously.

We have been using Informatica PowerCenter for nearly eight years.

Scalability could be improved, as it is of an intermediate level.

We have plans to increase usage.

Technical support is really great.

Deployment was simple and straightforward.

Licensing costs are excessive and pose an obstacle to someone who lacks familiarity with the solution and wishes to have a proper understanding of it.

What other advice do I have?

We have a team of around 40 to 50 people who use the solution.

I would, for sure, recommend the solution to others, since I feel it to be a really strong tool. It is very robust and has complex capabilities. It allows one to accomplish tasks with ease. We are talking about a strong ETL for those who are undertaking ETL related tasks.

AliRaza1
Senior Technical Lead at Speridian Technologies
Simple to set up, stable, scalable, simple to manage and debug
  • "It's a complete package, which is why we use this solution."
  • "There is some room for improvement in terms of pricing."

What is our primary use case?

I have worked with Informatica PowerCenter in different companies for different projects.

We use Informatica PowerCenter for ETL. We need it for our data integration project.

What is most valuable?

It's quite suitable for our needs.

It's a complete package, which is why we use this solution.

We have not had any issues with this solution.

What needs improvement?

There is some room for improvement in terms of pricing.

I have been working with Informatica PowerCenter for four years.

Informatica PowerCenter is a stable solution.

Informatica PowerCenter is a scalable product.

We haven't encountered any problems that would require assistance from the technical support team.

We did however contact technical support about pricing for the implementation of the site.

I have been working on ODI (Oracle Data Integrator), but we prefer Informatica.

The initial setup is quite easy. It is easy to handle and debug as well.

Normally, it doesn't take long, but it depends on the issues we face.

I was unable to locate any pricing information on the website. I made an appointment to meet with a representative through the internet.

According to what I've heard and read on various blogs, it's quite expensive when compared to similar competitive products.

Based on what I've read, I believe the price can be customized.

What other advice do I have?

There are several products, but we recommend using this solution.

I would rate Informatica PowerCenter an eight out of ten.

Associate Manager at a consultancy with 501-1,000 employees
Easy to use and very good for quickly integrating a huge amount of data

What is our primary use case?

We are using Informatica PowerCenter to process the data of the files in the landing zone. These files contain a huge amount of data, and Informatica PowerCenter is the source for us to push the data to Azure Synapse. We are using its latest version.

What is most valuable?

Informatica PowerCenter is very good for integrating a huge amount of data in a very short duration, such as a minute. It is also very easy to use. After you provide the source and the target, mappings are automatically done, which makes it easy to use for the development team.

What needs improvement?

Its scalability can be improved. It is not scalable.

I have been using this solution for one year.

What do I think about the stability of

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Its scalability can be improved. It is not scalable.

I have been using this solution for one year.

We have not experienced any technical challenges with this solution.

It is not scalable. Currently, we have three users of this solution.

We have not experienced any technical challenges with this solution.

There is no installation. After they provide the URL, you just log in. You just need the server details, and you can just log in with your Windows credentials.

Our client has purchased the license, and we are using it.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. I would rate Informatica PowerCenter an eight out of ten.

Information Technology Security Analyst at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to set up and quick to deploy, good support, and unstructured data can be imported
  • "What I like the most is that we have to deal with less while writing the queries."
  • "I would like to see it be able to import data from NoSQL."

What is most valuable?

The unstructured data can now be imported into Informatica PowerCenter. This is an achievement for them.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see it be able to import data from NoSQL.

I have been using Informatica PowerCenter for approximately three months.

It's a stable product.

We are using this solution for seven to eight hours per day. We are using it frequently.

Informatica is scalable, it's perfect. There are no changes required for this solution.

We have not had any issues with technical support. They are fine.

I started coding in SQL, then looked up Informatica directly.

The initial setup is not that complex.

It takes less than a day but more than an hour to deploy this solution.

We are satisfied with the pricing. The licensing is on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this to my friends as well as anyone who is interested in using this solution.

I would rate Informatica PowerCenter a ten out of ten.

Private Cloud
Download our free Informatica PowerCenter Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.