Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more
Software Test Automation Engineer at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Clean interface, easy to learn and use, and integrates with distributed systems
  • "The interface is very clean and clear."
  • "I would like to see improvements made to the custom transformations. It should be more open for users that want to write their own code and use cases."

What is our primary use case?

Informatica PowerCenter is a data integration tool. We use it as an extract, load, transform tool and we can transfer data from production to test or to any other environment.

We have several use cases. For example,  we use it to create data warehouse applications, which are used for analytics and to help generate business value.

Another use case is to modify a test environment such that it is compliant with GDPR regulations. We can use it to transfer production data to a test environment for the purpose of facilitating our testing. Another use case is that if we are working on a data warehouse application, it can be used to extract data from different sources to load into the target environment.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are that it is quick and easy to use. Anybody can master it in a short time.

The interface is very clean and clear.

This tool integrates with distributed systems.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see improvements made to the custom transformations. It should be more open for users that want to write their own code and use cases. As it is now, writing custom transformations is not user-friendly.

I have been working with Informatica PowerCenter for approximately two years.

Informatica PowerCenter
September 2022
Learn what your peers think about Informatica PowerCenter. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
635,513 professionals have used our research since 2012.

This is a stable product.

Informatica PowerCenter is scalable.

We have one person in the company in charge of administration.

I am part of a seven-person team that uses it, although there are a lot of other applications in the company that make use of PowerCenter. The number of users overall is huge.

We plan to increase our usage in the future.

Our admin team is from Informatica, and if we have any problems then we contact them. For example, the tool that I work on directly interacts with PowerCenter, where PowerCenter works as a backend for my application. If I have connectivity issues or need special access to PowerCenter, I contact the admin team and they help me to sort out the issues.

Prior to PowerCenter, I used an open-source tool called Talend. It was not very good.

The installation is not complex. It is easy to do because you just need one database, such as Oracle, set up as the backend, and some executable files.

I was not involved in the deployment. Another team in our company was responsible for it.

The licensing fees are paid on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, this is a good tool and I definitely recommend it. It integrates with distributed systems and if the use cases involve data ETL then this is the best tool to use.

I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.

Sunil_Shah - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior software developer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A UI friendly solution great for deriving dashboards, functionalities and graphs
  • "It is UI friendly and has all the advantages of an ETL tool."
  • "The solution could have better documentation on basic steps or blocks that specify what to do."

What is our primary use case?

We use Informatica PowerCenter primarily for its processes. We derive dashboards, functionalities and graphs with the information it provides. We create reports, generate excels, and data scientists use the information to generate reports in Tableau, Power BI or other tools.

How has it helped my organization?

It is UI friendly and has all the advantages of an ETL tool. In addition, integration is possible between Oracle and SQL.

It is also relatively expensive but is worth the price because the software provides a good experience. The resources we need exist, and the people are available.

We have been using this solution for about six months. It is private on Oracle but available at our data centre.

It is a stable solution, and there are no significant issues. In addition, it is a relatively easy solution for any beginner or intermediate-level person using it. The only problem is that it is moderately expensive, which is essential to emphasize.

Everything in the market is shifting to the cloud, namely Oracle, Azure, and any other cloud. If a company has a solution on a license, they will use something with the cloud on Google, Azure or AWS. It would be good if Informatica collaborated with Oracle, Azure or AWS, allowing for greater functionalities and benefits.

I believe it is a scalable solution, but I do not have all the details on scalability. For example, in AWS, there are databases like PostgreSQL, SQL and Oracle. So, it would be good if, for a specific price, Informatica PowerCenter could be available in Azure or have the ability to use Azure in the ETL tool.

About six to seven developers use Informatica PowerCenter in my company.

The technical support is helpful.

The setup was easy. However, the solution could have better documentation on basic steps or blocks that specify what to do. For example, a particular topic could be described at length in a video so people can understand it.

Installation is also relatively easy, but when we tried to include data warehousing, extraction or ETL functionality, we needed specific configurations and capacity. That is a pain point for users, developers and architects. However, it became easier after several periods.

In terms of costs, it is moderately expensive, but I am unsure of the exact price. It would be good if Informatica PowerCenter incorporated free trails or learnings to help beginners use the solution. There should also be more campaigns similar to other ETL tools.

My advice would be for Informatica to decrease the price. Generally, companies have more customers when prices are lower. So even if the company grows with a lower margin, the number of users would be higher, which would be beneficial.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution an eight out of ten. Regarding advice, it is important that ETL functionalities are readily available and that it is GUI friendly.

Informatica PowerCenter
September 2022
635,513 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Business Intelligence Architect at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Extraction, transformation and loading tool used for 15 years for regular ETL access and to build data marts
  • "It's very easy to use it to develop mappings and workflows."
  • "Informatica are very rigid when it comes to cloud migrations which discourages customers in moving their solution to the cloud."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for regular ETL access. All our warehouses are built through Informatica. We also use Informatica to build data marts.

What is most valuable?

It's very easy to use it to develop mappings and workflows.

What needs improvement?

Informatica are very rigid when it comes to cloud migrations which discourages customers in moving their solution to the cloud. I cannot simply move my code from on-premise to the cloud. There is a conversion process and that conversion process has to be done by Informatica. They charge a huge amount for their professional service.

Informatica is not as mature when it comes to cloud solutions and cloud connectors and still they want to charge for cloud IACS adoption. If I compare Informatica with Oracle, Oracle provide almost double the licenses when we move onto a cloud solution, regardless of what on-prem license we have. The migration is free of charge.

In a future release, we would like to have cloud connectors.

We have used this solution for more than 15 years.

This solution is not scalable.

This solution is stable.

The customer support is not great. I would rate them a six out of ten.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Neutral

We have not previously used a different solution. We chose Informatica because we needed an enterprise solution. The problem with Informatica data capture is that it is not an end-to-end solution. We have a different automation solution called Oracle GoldenGate.

The setup is straightforward but we have been doing it for 15 years. A good feature they offer is the backward compatibility which makes the setup seamless.

We did it in-house.

I would rate the pricing for this solution a six out of ten. The exact pricing depends on various products that you have. We have various Informatica products and it varies from automation to automation.

What other advice do I have?

Informatica is so rigid and so we were trying to look for other partners for our entire ETL process. Modern data solutions are more cost effective and mature with the latest data basis or cloud awareness. We are going to decrease our usage of Informatica.

If you already have Informatica and plan to move to the cloud solution, then you have to evaluate other solutions based on compatibility and do a thorough cost analysis. They have been the market leaders for more than 15 to 20 years. They could use their experience to make better products for modern cloud adoption.

I would rate this solution a five out of ten.

Computer system engineer at Groupe Casino
Works well, comes with 24/7 support, and is useful for database replication
  • "The support is valuable. There are also open-source ETL products, which work very well, but there is no support. When we face a production problem, being able to get support is valuable, and it brings efficiency. With an open-source solution, we can't engage anyone to resolve the problem as quickly as possible."
  • "Some of the conversions are done inside the product. We use work tables that are created by the engine itself, but the names of the work tables are very long, and they don't have any meaning, which makes it a bit difficult to understand and follow exactly what is happening inside."

What is our primary use case?

I'm working for a casino, and we use this solution in our company to replicate different databases, such as from Oracle to Teradata. Most of the time, it is used for replication, but sometimes, it is also used for doing some calculations, additions, or unions for ETL.

It is currently deployed on-premises, but we will be moving to a cloud solution by the end of the year. We are currently doing a proof of concept and evaluating a cloud solution from Informatica.

What is most valuable?

The support is valuable. There are also open-source ETL products, which work very well, but there is no support. When we face a production problem, being able to get support is valuable, and it brings efficiency. With an open-source solution, we can't engage anyone to resolve the problem as quickly as possible.

Its stability is high, and it is also scalable.

What needs improvement?

Some of the conversions are done inside the product. We use work tables that are created by the engine itself, but the names of the work tables are very long, and they don't have any meaning, which makes it a bit difficult to understand and follow exactly what is happening inside.

We would like to be able to communicate with our Google Cloud platform. This feature probably exists, but I'm not sure if we tested it.

It is very stable.

It is scalable. There are no problems. It is only a financial matter. You just need to have more machines. The price changes depending on the number of CPUs that are involved.

We have 24/7 support because it belongs to the production environment. We just have to open a case, and somebody takes up the case and provides an answer. They also call back, and there is also a knowledge base.

We had Sybase ETL, but it was not exactly for the same use. We also had some homemade solutions between Db2 and Teradata. We switched because to deal with more databases, it was easiest to use a real ETL solution.

It isn't complex. In the beginning, we have to test and try different parameters. Once that is complete, it is done for all the processes. If we have some trouble, we can call support, and most of the time, we can find people to help us in choosing the right parameters from different parameters.

The complete implementation—which includes doing the proof of concept, understanding how it works and what work has to be done, migrating all existing workflows—took over six months.

We implemented it ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of 10. It works.

Senior Associate at PwC Acceleration Centers
Useful flow designer functionally and highly reliable
  • "The most valuable feature of Informatica PowerCenter is the flow designer functionally. It is the best out of any ETL tool. Additionally, the solution is reliable and trustable in dealing with large data sources anytime. When we're using billions of data transactions, it's smooth."
  • "Informatica PowerCenter could improve on the documentation for the implementation. The documents provided are not very good for a new user."

What is our primary use case?

Informatica PowerCenter is a data extraction and data loading tool. We extract data from some sources and we load data to different source systems.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Informatica PowerCenter is the flow designer functionally. It is the best out of any ETL tool. Additionally, the solution is reliable and trustable in dealing with large data sources anytime. When we're using billions of data transactions, it's smooth.

What needs improvement?

In a future release of Informatica PowerCenter, they should add more flexibility on re-usability options. Reusing any setup developed on Informatica PowerCenter, more options to make it reusable, exporting the setup, or importing the setup to any project folder or anywhere in Informatica PowerCenter so that we can use it as a plug-and-play option.

I have used Informatica PowerCenter within the last 12 months.

Informatica PowerCenter is stable. We did not have any downtime.

Informatica PowerCenter could improve its re-usage strategies. There is a scope of improvement in the re-usability of their applications. They could make it more user-friendly for re-usage so that we can create plug-and-play options for different setups.

We have more than 100 people using this solution in my organization.

I have not used the support from Informatica PowerCenter.

The initial setup of Informatica PowerCenter is of a moderate level of difficulty. The full implementation took approximately one day.

When evaluating other solutions we found Informatica PowerCenter to be the most stable.

We had a major banking client, and Informatica PowerCenter is the go-to option when we are dealing with any kind of banking client. It provides the stability and very trustability factor for any kind of banking client's requirements.

What other advice do I have?

This solution has provided me with all functions that I need. I recommend others to use Informatica PowerCenter if they have a decent knowledge of how data migration and data integration works. If they have good knowledge about it and if they have used any other ETL tools previously, they will find it easier to use Informatica PowerCenter.

If it is for a beginner, I would suggest they learn something about the basics of how data migration works, and then they can start using it.

I rate Informatica PowerCenter a nine out of ten.

Director at Lolatech
A very efficient tool, that enables us to quickly find our data reports
  • "We use Informatica PowerCenter to transfer the transitional database to and from the data warehouse. This is very efficient as it enables us to quickly find our data reports and the data, so we can build AI models."
  • "In the future, I would like to see Informatica PowerCenter integrate a more powerful dashboard."

What is our primary use case?

My experience is in the semiconductor industry with our customers using the Azure supply chain. We have built-in the AIS system, IBM and Db2. We transfer data from SQL Server to MongoDB and transfer the data to Db2.

Security is very important, the solution is deployed to the private cloud. We assigned five people to build the project.

Informatica PowerCenter is built into the technology supply system. I use the solution to transfer the MS data system to the supply chain system.

How has it helped my organization?

We use Informatica PowerCenter to transfer the transitional database to and from the data warehouse. This is very efficient as it enables us to quickly find our data reports and the data, so we can build AI models.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Informatica PowerCenter for 3 years.

In my experience Informatica is stable, however, it depends on our customer's environment.

This solution is scalable. For example, we have set two data warehouses for one of my customers, we use Informatica PowerCenter to join several PV tables separate to data warehousing. This allows us to divide, separate and exchange our data warehousing to the schema and the people in the schema.

In my last job, I used Pentaho.

The initial setup of the solution is easier than Pentaho. Informatica was set up by me with the help of two supply chain consultants, in one day.

To implement Informatica PowerCenter you need to understand your customer's systems first and what their requirements are. It is important to understand their existing system and find the data. By understanding their logic, you can know how to extract the data and transfer the data to the data warehouse.

Informatica PowerCenter is reasonably priced. It is less expensive than Pentaho.

There is a standard version fee in Taiwan. It is a one-time yearly subscription price that is approximately $3,010 US dollars for three users.

What other advice do I have?

This is my first experience with this kind of tool, I would rate Informatica PowerCenter a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud
Senior Architect at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
A high-performance enterprise data integration solution with a useful automated scheduling feature
  • "I like the automated scheduling feature."
  • "Support could be better."

What is our primary use case?

We use Informatica PowerCenter to extract the data from legacy products and load it into new applications. We're using it for this purpose only. Apart from that, we use the Data Quality tool for data quality issues. We use this solution to extract and load.

What is most valuable?

I like the automated scheduling feature. Suppose we want to automate data anonymization, we have tools within PowerCenter for that. In terms of the capability of data loading features, Informatica products are better.

What needs improvement?

Support could be better. Technical support's friendly, but we should be able to get responses from them more quickly.

We found PowerCenter to be stable. When comparing the tools within the Informatica PowerCenter and IDQ, we felt that PowerCenter was more stable for data quality and extraction purposes. Through the command mode, we can do many things for loading purposes, and for all that, PowerCenter is better.

Informatica PowerCenter is highly scalable. Whether it's 4000 records, one million records, or ten million records, we did all these use cases, and it was fine.

Technical support is fine, but we got some delayed responses or didn't get proper responses in certain cases. But overall, it's okay.

We have used some other tools, but we found this solution when we had a huge dataset. We felt that PowerCenter was capable of doing the extraction and loading better than other products. We were also using Microsoft SQL Server DTS in the previous year.

It's easy for me to install Informatica. But for configuration and domain creation with multiple nodes, it will take time. If you have to do it multiple times, it'll take even more time.

For a simple installation, it's straightforward. Otherwise, it will take three to four hours for multiple nodes under multiple services. For example, if you're doing it for only an integration service, it's very simple. But for our data integration service and other services, it will take more time.

I implemented this solution by myself.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it to potential users.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Informatica PowerCenter an eight.

Senior Consultant at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to use, fairly powerful, good integrations, and useful for quick development
  • "It is easy to use, and it is quick for developing things. It is fairly powerful, and it can integrate with a lot of different platforms without much hassle."
  • "Its interface can be modernized. It is an old product. I have been working with it for 14 years, and it still looks the same. It hasn't been modernized much. It also needs to handle more modern formats, such as JSON files. It works with the old text files and databases, but it does not always work with the newer, modern stuff. You need to make your own programs to support that kind of stuff. Support is also a kind of difficult with Informatica. They don't do direct support and rely on using their distributors around the globe for support, which means that you kind of have to go through this layer of different companies before you get help."

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Its interface can be modernized. It is an old product. I have been working with it for 14 years, and it still looks the same. It hasn't been modernized much.

It also needs to handle more modern formats, such as JSON files. It works with the old text files and databases, but it does not always work with the newer, modern stuff. You need to make your own programs to support that kind of stuff.

Support is also a kind of difficult with Informatica. They don't do direct support and rely on using their distributors around the globe for support, which means that you kind of have to go through this layer of different companies before you get help.

I have been using this solution for about 14 years.

It is stable.

It has a cluster repository kind of thing where you can add multiple server nodes.

That's actually one of the parts that are kind of difficult with Informatica. They don't do direct support. They rely on using their distributors around the globe for support. In Norway, there is a specific company that has the license to sell Informatica, and they also provide the support, which means that whenever there is a problem, you kind of have to go through this layer of different companies before you get help.

It requires consultants. I won't be able to do it by myself. I would need some help to do it.

Whenever we need to do an upgrade, we need to call a consultant to do it. It takes about a week for the preparation and all other stuff.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others depending on whether they are on-prem based or cloud-based. If most of their data is on-prem, I would recommend this solution. If they are not on-prem, I would recommend looking for another tool that is more suitable.

I would rate Informatica PowerCenter an eight out of ten.

Download our free Informatica PowerCenter Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: September 2022