VamsiKrishna2 - PeerSpot reviewer
Software Trainee at Eidiko
Easy to use and reasonably priced with 15GB of free initial storage
  • "Google Cloud Storage is very convenient to use."
  • "It's actually quite complete and we don't have any issues with the solution."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for cloud storage.

What is most valuable?

Google Cloud Storage is very convenient to use. It is easy as it is linked to our mail ID.

We can save the data there so that, wherever we log in, we can log into our drive to download any file. We can show it in our drive, so the drive is always linked.

It is easy to use and comfortable.

This is a stable product.

The scalability is great.

It offers free storage of up to 15GB and then you have to pay a reasonable fee.

Technical support has been fine.

What needs improvement?

It's actually quite complete and we don't have any issues with the solution.

I've used the solution for a few years at this point. It's been a while.

Google Cloud Storage
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about Google Cloud Storage. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
657,849 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is stable. There are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable and offers good performance.

I'd rate the scalability a ten out of ten. It's extremely scalable.

Almost everyone uses the product. It's great. There are about 400 people on it.

We do not have plans to increase usage at this point.

We've reached out to technical support once or twice, however, they easily provide the solutions.

We did not use a different solution previous to this.

The solution does not need an elaborate setup as it is in the cloud. You don't need to deploy it.

We do have to pay for additional storage, however, we don't mind paying. They do offer limited free storage up until 15GB, however, we are over that. There's a set payment per month.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution ten out of ten.

I don't have any advice as almost everyone might be using it in India. It's quite prevalent. We'd recommend the solution to anyone.

Islam Bayraktar - PeerSpot reviewer
PPM Services Director at OPTIIM
Enables you to access your files anywhere
  • "Access your files from anywhere, no installation necessary"
  • "Additional cost for more storage"

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is to store documents in various formats, enabling me to access them anywhere.

What is most valuable?

We have found synchronization to be a really useful feature. We synchronize documents from a personal machine to Google Cloud Storage, and in addition we make use of Google docs where we can easily create Word documents, Excel spreadsheets or even Powerpoint. Then it is really easy to access documents from anywhere.

What needs improvement?

It would be beneficial to manage duplicated documents better. For example, when conducting a search, it would be useful to indicate when files are the same or duplicate. You could have the same files in different folders and therefore if you are given a choice to decide what to do, that would be a nice feature. You could either delete or merge them.

Also, it would be nice to have the possibility to convert video files that you have stored, compress them and store them in different formats. If I had a huge 3-5GB video file and I had the option to convert this to MP3 and compress it that would greatly reduce the file size that is being stored in the cloud.

I have been using Google Cloud Storage for approximately 2 years

Regarding scalability, from a users point of view you are not installing anything on your machine. Scalability is not visible to me as an end user.

There has been no need to contact Google for any form of support, I have faced no issues to date.

There is no initial installation to setup, as it's cloud based storage all you need is a web browser and you can upload and download files right away.

The free subscription with Google Cloud Storage provides a lower amount of GB storage, if you want to upgrade to more you have to pay an annual subscription.

We looked at OneDrive and DropBox as alternative solutions.

Google Cloud Storage
November 2022
657,849 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Manager at Mahindra & Mahindra
Provides great security and a good interface that works well with other applications
  • "From an availability perspective it's fantastic; from a security perspective it's fantastic."
  • "Could be improved from a storage perspective and a cost perspective."

What is our primary use case?

I'm a manager in an Indian-based company and we are customers of Google.

What is most valuable?

In the two years I've been using this solution, I haven't had a single minute of downtime. That is what's fantastic about the cloud. I know the product is very secure since there was an attempt at a cyber attack some months ago, and the attackers could not penetrate into the Google Cloud. They might be able to attack some on-prem applications but not these applications. From an availability perspective it's fantastic; from a security perspective it's fantastic. I like the interface, it works well with other applications.

What needs improvement?

I think improvements can be made from a storage perspective and a cost perspective. We're currently working on the application modernization and I think that the integration section of Google and the cloud could be simplified. Integration across various applications isn't always successful.

We've been using this solution for over two years.

The scalability is fantastic. We've been able to scale up and down as necessary. We have close to 450 users. I think we will probably extend it. Since the attempted attack, management is now of the opinion that it's best to migrate all the on-prem applications to cloud.

I am satisfied with the technical support. We are in contact with Google's account manager in India and that works well.

The initial setup was complex and the team struggled for a couple of weeks. That was two years ago and things have changed a lot since then. Initially we took on service from the supplier but now we have expert consultants who can manage anything on cloud.

We evaluated everything; AWS, Azure and Google. For various reasons, we settled on Google.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution a nine out of 10.

RaviKumar11 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Business Development Manager at HCL Technologies
Flexible, reliable, and beneficial for small sized companies
  • "The most valuable features of Google Cloud Storage are flexibility and sustainability."
  • "Google Cloud Storage can improve by having better integration and migration tools."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of Google Cloud Storage are flexibility and sustainability.

What needs improvement?

There's a concept called parallel runs. Whenever you are migrating from an assets platform to the target platform. To some extent, once you migrate into the Google Cloud Storage platform, none of the customers are ready to decommission their existing platform. In this case, you have to parallelly verify both the assets and migrated systems for them to work. Google Cloud Storage as of now, doesn't have any parallel verification system, while Amazon AWS and Microsoft Azure do. Adding this feature would add value and enable them to handle large-scale migration engagement.

Google Cloud Storage needs to have a complete end-to-end solution to be competitive with the other offerings.

I have been using Google Cloud Storage for approximately four years.

Google Cloud Storage is a stable solution.

Most of the clients that are using Google Cloud Storage are small-scale companies. Insurance companies and banks typically use Amazon AWS and Microsoft Azure.

I have found Google Cloud Storage to be scalable but has limits.

We have reached out to Google if there are any changes in the storage or any other issues. As a Google partner, which gives us a different level of support.

I previously used Amazon AWS and Microsoft Azure.

Amazon AWS and Microsoft Azure have an end-to-end solution. Google Cloud Storage, recently entered the market, they don't have their own solutions for migration and transformation, they are depending on any other service providers.

Google Cloud Storage's initial setup is simple.

The price of Google Cloud Storage is reasonable when compared to other similar solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Google Cloud Storage a nine out of ten.

Nivedan Kedia - PeerSpot reviewer
Consultant (M&A/R) at Deloitte
Easy to use, reliable, and free to use for certain amounts of data
  • "You do not need to install anything."
  • "I'd like the solution to integrate better with other clouds, including the Apple cloud."

What is our primary use case?

I've used it as my personal online drive, just to store and easily locate files on the go.

What is most valuable?

It's easy to use. It is directly linked to my email ID, et cetera.

You do not need to install anything.

The product is stable.

It's scalable.

What needs improvement?

I've been using the solution for five to ten years. I've used it for a while.

The product is stable. It's reliable. There are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze. Its performance is reliable.

The solution is scalable. You can expand it easily.

Our company is not using Google Cloud. I more or less use it for personal files, et cetera.

I've never had the need to contact technical support. I can't speak to how helpful or responsive they would be.

I use both Apple and Google. Google doesn't cost anything, whereas I have to pay for Apple.

There is no installation required. It's very easy to get up and running.

The solution is free to use up to a certain point.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a customer and end-user.

If you are a personal user, if you are looking for something for free with limited data, you should go ahead with Google. If you're using it on an Apple platform, if you use the Mac platform, there is no other option rather than using iCloud.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

VaishnaviM - PeerSpot reviewer
Associate Software Development Engineer at Publicis Sapient
User-friendly and convenient
  • "Some of the most valuable features are how convenient and easy to use this solution is. It's very user-friendly and meets all my requirements."
  • "Google Cloud Storage could be improved by increasing the drive capacity."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case of this solution is file storage. You can store almost everything in there—files of all formats—and the storage capacity is pretty good. I believe the drive capacity is 15GB or so. This is a cloud-based solution, so you're always using the latest version.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Google Cloud Storage could be improved by increasing the drive capacity.

I have been using this solution for many years now.

This solution is stable.

This solution is scalable. The drive could have more capacity. There is easily a minimum of around 70% to 75% of users in my organization who use this Google Cloud Storage

I have never contacted technical support, but I know friends who have. My friends gave me very positive feedback about getting immediate support. I've heard Google's support is very good.

I have used Dropbox too, but I usually prefer Google Cloud Storage. When I started using Google Cloud Storage, it was easy to use and met all my requirements, so I haven't switched back since.

Since this is a cloud-based solution, installation is pretty straightforward.

I implemented this solution myself.

I use the free version and have never paid for any extra storage. I have been able to manage in whatever free spaces are given.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution a 9.5 to 10 out of 10.

Bořivoj Tydlitát - PeerSpot reviewer
Chief Security Officer at The Mama AI
Allows us to run web services but should include lower tier pricing for lower capacity
  • "We are mostly doing telephony and generic web services in the telephony."
  • "A lower cost, lower-end solution for a shared file system is missing."

What is our primary use case?

We're using Google Cloud Storage to run web services.

It's a cloud-based solution, so we are using Google Cloud and other clouds as well.

There are between 50 and 100 people using this solution in my organization.

What is most valuable?

We are mostly doing telephony and generic web services in the telephony.

I have been using this solution for about one year.

So far, we don't have extensive production experience with Google Cloud because we run our current production on our own hardware, which is based on the XCP-ng cluster, so I cannot comment on Google Cloud's stability in real production scenarios.

We are mostly using Kubernetes for scalability.

A lower cost, lower-end solution for a shared file system is missing. If you want a shared file system, you have to buy a server with the minimum capacity of one TB.

I would like to see a lower tier and better pricing for the capacity.

Even if it's not the price, I would like there to be an option to have less capacity for less money so that you could deploy a server that doesn't have a TB capacity,  like 100 GB for a fraction of the price. That would definitely help because for the various trial projects, that's a bit too much.

We use an open source solution called SAS. We're happy with it and use other services and the storage services like in AWS, but the usage is kind of marginal.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 7 out of 10.

I would recommend this solution for those who want to start using it.

Clara Chen - PeerSpot reviewer
First Vice President/ Private Banking Manager at Eastwest Bank
Easy to find features, and performs well, but the storage usage could be improved
  • "It's simple to use."
  • "It would be better to assign storage usage to different categories, because storage capacity is cumulative, if your Google album and email are both full, you will be unable to send or receive email."

What is our primary use case?

I use Google Cloud Storage for my personal use for storage. It is the most common and well-known.

What is most valuable?

I am satisfied with this solution.

The performance is acceptable.

It's simple to use. You can easily find the function you require by looking at the bottom of any page.

What needs improvement?

It would be better to assign storage usage to different categories, because storage capacity is cumulative, if your Google album and email are both full, you will be unable to send or receive email.

I have been using Google Cloud Storage for five years.

We are working with the most recent version.

Google Cloud Storage is a stable solution.

It is for my personal use, I am the only user of this solution.

I have not contacted technical support.

For my personal computers, I have Windows.

Previously, I worked with One Drive.

There is no installation because everything is done in the cloud.

There are no licensing fees.

I am not an expert in log management. I am just looking for a useful tool in the SRE field. I am just conducting a study. I'm an intern at our company, and I try to assist them with their research, but I have no idea what's going on in our company. I simply present my research.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others who are interested.

I would rate Google Cloud Storage a seven out of ten.

Download our free Google Cloud Storage Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: November 2022