IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
System Administrator at a government with 10,001+ employees
Dashboard is easy to use but a little archaic
  • "The presentation layer is pretty simple and straightforward."
  • "The visual is a little archaic."

What is our primary use case?

Our use cases for the solution are configuration backup, performance monitoring and presentations for the upper management. I'm an assistant admin and we are customers of DX Spectrum.

What is most valuable?

The presentation layer is pretty simple and straightforward and the dashboard is pretty easy to read.

What needs improvement?

The visual is good but it's a little archaic. I think it's the way it's compiled, because I've been struggling recently with deploying it in different departments. The software still uses a 32 bit library on the Linux boxes for installation. Every admin scratches their head when I ask them to install, 16 or 17 packages, 32 bit packages on a 64 bit architecture.

Also, they dumped all the documentation from the old versions and re-tagged them with the new version and they haven't updated them for a few years. That's a bit of a problem. They need to get rid of Java and 32 bit applications proctors, and that would be good.

I've been using this solution for two years.

Network Management Applications
July 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, IBM, Micro Focus and others in Network Management Applications. Updated: July 2022.
619,967 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The stability isn't bad. There are Java issues but that could be because of our setup so I wouldn't blame the software. Although again, using Java is a little outdated.

The solution can be scaled to an unlimited amount. We have 50 users, usually admins and managers.

I don't have much to compare it to but something that stands out is probably the ease of dealing with tech support. It's one of the better relationships that I've had with tech support. They always respond and they're on time.

The setup isn't complex it's just not up to date. It's 2021, why would anybody use a 32 bit package for an application.

What other advice do I have?

You need to make sure the product runs in your environment because it might not be compatible with some people's setup.

For now, I would rate this solution a seven out of 10.

Senior Technical Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Highly scalable and useful for SNMP monitoring
  • "Some of the most valuable features are it's highly scalable, the carrier is great, and if something has SNMP, it can monitor it. It's a great network fault management solution."
  • "DX Spectrum could be improved by them getting rid of the Java console. It would also be better with Turkish language support."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of DX Spectrum is for monitoring and network fault management. If you have a carrier or a large-scale network and you would like to monitor it, DX Spectrum is one of the best solutions on the market.

This is an on-prem solution.

What is most valuable?

Some of the most valuable features are it's highly scalable, the carrier is great, and if something has SNMP, it can monitor it. It's a great network fault management solution.

What needs improvement?

As for additional features, they release changes quarterly. Right now, the only thing I would like is Turkish support.

We have been providing this solution to customers for over 10 years.

This solution is stable.

DX Spectrum is highly scalable, which is why they are used by the biggest ISPs and carriers in Turkey.

Their tech support is very good.

The initial setup depends on the implementation, but it normally takes a couple of days to a week. It depends on the size of the project.

We implement this solution for customers. We are currently providing professional services to four customers. In Turkey, there are probably more than ten customers that use DX Spectrum.

There is actually no base Spectrum product—it becomes DX NetOps. It's part of the product family, and Broadcom changed its name. New customers cannot buy DX Spectrum, they can buy DX NetOps, and Spectrum is a part of that family.

What other advice do I have?

I rate DX Spectrum a nine out of ten.

Network Management Applications
July 2022
619,967 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior Engineer - Networking at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
Easy to set up and has good configuration management functionality
  • "What I like best is the configuration management functionality."
  • "Huawei devices are not properly supported, and there are incompatibility issues related to certain protocols."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is alarm monitoring.

What is most valuable?

What I like best is the configuration management functionality. I can configure a couple of devices at once, and I can certify the device in the configuration on my own, without depending on the vendor.

What needs improvement?

I have seen that there are some configuration issues with Huawei devices. Huawei devices are not properly supported, and there are incompatibility issues related to certain protocols.

The stability could be improved.

The rate at which our stability issues are resolved could be improved.

I have been using DX Spectrum for three years.

There are issues with any product, but for issues related to DX Spectrum, we receive upgrades. It can take some time, and occasionally we do not achieve the SLA times, but at the end of the day, we are getting our upgrades to the critical issues.

We do plan on continuing to use this product in the future.

We have deployed this monitoring system for an ISP in Sri Lanka, and there are more than 100 users. It is also integrated with a performance monitoring and management system.

The technical support is of lower quality since the acquisition by Broadcom. At this point, we are not satisfied with the technical support. It should definitely be faster.

The initial setup is straightforward, and the upgrade process is also straightforward.

We handle the implementation and deployment ourselves. Three people are enough for deployment and maintenance. The engineers take care of the implementation and overall administration.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

DevOps Engineer at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Automatic discovery and event correlation are helpful for our large environment
  • "The most valuable feature is automatic discovery."
  • "Event correlation only works on one server, rather than on all of the servers in the same cluster environment."

What is our primary use case?

We are a service provider and we have a lot of different customers that share a large network. It is a huge environment.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is automatic discovery.

The event correlation is a helpful feature.

What needs improvement?

We have a huge environment and we have the event correlation set up. Event correlation only works per Spectrum server, for a huge environment more Spectrum servers are needed and the events are not correlated between the Spectrum servers. Broadcom has the intention to change this.

I have been using DX Spectrum for between 10 and 15 years.

This product is very stable.

Its scalability is very good. It can be used in huge environments.

I have had contact with technical support and my experience has been positive.

The initial setup is of medium complexity. It is not very easy, yet not very difficult.

Some preparation and special knowledge are needed to deploy.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this solution is to first make a plan on how you are going to implement and use it. It is important to know before you configure it, how it is that you want to use it. For example, we have a lot of different customers and they may not want to see the older devices from other customers. As a service provider, it is important to make a good plan on how you want to implement it.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

CTO at a aerospace/defense firm with 201-500 employees
Beneficial equipment management, functional user interface, and good support
  • "The most valuable features have been the interface and the ability to do equipment management."
  • "The solution could improve by allowing the ability to monitor the network shortly after installing the software and adding an auto-discovery function."

What is our primary use case?

We are using DX Spectrum as a network management system.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by allowing the ability to monitor the network shortly after installing the software and adding an auto-discovery function.

I have been using this solution for more than 10 years.

When we have a high capacity of traffic, we have problems with the stability of the system. This could be improved on in the future.

The scalability of this solution is good enough for enterprise networks. However, for use in the telecommunications industry is does not scale enough. We can configure the systems correctly, but it is not enough for a telecommunication use case.

The support we have been receiving has been really good. They were about to answer all the questions we had.

The installation is straightforward.

The price of the solution is reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

The most important area for us is stability and they need to improve on this for larger use cases.

I would recommend this solution for enterprise networks but not for the telecommunications industry.

I rate DX Spectrum an eight out of ten.

User at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Extremely useful and powerful with a lot of functionality
  • "Offers a lot of functionality."
  • "It takes some time to learn how to use this solution."

What is our primary use case?

Spectrum is a network report and configuration monitoring tool.

What is most valuable?

This is a very powerful tool with a lot of functionality. Once you have completed the training and have some experience using it, it's a very useful and powerful tool.

What needs improvement?

We're trying to replace this solution with another product because it's too expensive and not very user-friendly; it requires training and takes some time to learn how to use it.

I've been using this solution for 13 years.

The solution is stable.

We're a large enterprise user so the solution is scalable.

The technical support is very good.

What other advice do I have?

You must have the training that Broadcom provides as it allows you to make better use of the functionality of this tool. The solution is geared towards larger corporations and global companies and I rate it nine out of 10.

Download our free Network Management Applications Report and find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, IBM, Micro Focus, and more!
Updated: July 2022