IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
Senior Consultant at a tech company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Good stability and performance with the capability to scale
  • "The stability of the solution is good."
  • "The solution can be a bit complex for those not well versed in the technology."

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to use. The product has global name recognition. The performance, overall, is quite impressive. The stability of the solution is good.

What needs improvement?

The solution lacks a cloud version. It would be useful if the solution could direct to AWS or Google Cloud effectively or have an AWS version. With the global lockdown conditions, you can't get to the site. It would be easier if it was connected to the cloud. The solution can be a bit complex for those not well versed in the technology.

I've been using this solution for a few years now.

The solution, so far, has been very stable for us. We don't have issues with Isilon itself, however, every once in a while we do face a few stability issues.
Dell PowerScale (Isilon)
July 2022
Learn what your peers think about Dell PowerScale (Isilon). Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
610,518 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is scalable, however, it's quite complex, so it's not exactly straightforward. For organizations that have a lot of items they need to upgrade, it's good to have support to help. However, the solution can scale if a company needs to. We have a few hundred users on the solution right now.

The technical support aspect of the solution has been good. We've been satisfied with their level of attention and find them to be knowledgable and helpful.

We didn't previously use a different solution, however, we are looking to switch solutions now, simply due to the fact that we would like to migrate to the cloud.

The initial setup was a bit complex for personal not knowledgeable with the solution. When you are just shown a manual, it does take a while to understand how everything works. It's not exactly straightforward.

While the initial setup isn't too expensive, it can end up being expensive depending on how many machines you have or how big you are.

What other advice do I have?

We're a reseller of Isilon products. I'm not sure which version of the solution we are using. It's one of the version seven releases. Right now, we are researching moving from on-premise to cloud, and want to know whether there is something that is more convenient than Isilon when moving to a cloud server.  For example, with EMC, if you have something on-premise, and if you want a cloud version, you should rather take ECS. The company finds the concept a bit confusing, so they are looking around for something that is similar in terms of ease of use, and yet has a cloud version as an option. As it stands now, I'd advise new users to rather use the Dell EMC service and learn on the job. It will be faster to get set up and be able to handle the solution. It's still a fairly good solution. Overall, I'd rate it eight out of ten.

User at Government of Nova Scotia
Primary file storage solution that offers a seamless and consistently reliable experience for users
  • "PowerScale has made it extremely easy to scale file data across our organization. We have two implementations of Isilon. One is a replica of the other. When scaling, we add nodes to each location and expand the cluster. The process is straightforward."
  • "It would be nice to see tools like Superna Eyeglass built into PowerScale."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for the primary file storage for our organization for both the government and health department of Nova Scotia. We use the data domain for backup along with Isilon for our file storage.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution offers flexibility in supporting various data workloads and is very easy to work with. It is our go-to solution for all data storage. It is stable, it runs in the background and our users are barely aware that it exists. It operates seamlessly and this is the biggest benefit for our business.

PowerScale has made it extremely easy to scale file data across our organization. We have two implementations of Isilon. One is a replica of the other. When scaling, we add nodes to each location and expand the cluster. The process is straightforward.

We have eliminated the need for any silos in our data center using this solution. It has also freed up our employees' time to focus on the other business priorities because it is easy to manage and add nodes when necessary. Replication works seamlessly. We are able to meet all of our auditors and governance requirements.

What is most valuable?

The way it scales easily, is easy to use and its security are the most valuable features.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice to see tools like Superna Eyeglass built into PowerScale.

I have been using this solution for ten years.

This is a stable solution.

This is an easy solution to scale.

The solution's service and technical support are excellent. I would rate them a ten out of ten.

Positive

Many years ago, before Dell, we used a solution for file sharing and office servers. We moved to storage area networks, and the transition to Dell seemed like the right move.

The initial setup was straightforward. We did receive some assistance from Dell for the setup and they continue to assist us with maintenance on a regular basis.

A reseller assisted us with the implementation. They were excellent. To deploy this solution, we did not require more than our existing operational staff. These three team members take care of storage and backup.

Our biggest ROI in using this solution is the ease and centralization of management. This has freed up team members to focus on other tasks in the data center.

The pricing for this solution is reasonable.

We evaluated a lot of other alternatives and this solution came out on top.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I would rate it a ten out ten.

Dell PowerScale (Isilon)
July 2022
610,518 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Manager Infrastructure at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Primary storage solution that is flexible in supporting various data loads and is easy to scale
  • "Isilon is flexible in supporting various data workloads while keeping them protected. Dell continues to release updates and patches which enhance the use of this solution. This includes offering ransomware protection."
  • "Isilon has limitations on the number of files that can be generated."

What is our primary use case?

We connected our mainframe system to Isilon. The NFS is being provisioned from Isilon and hosts millions of files. It is our primary storage solution.

How has it helped my organization?

Isilon is flexible in supporting various data workloads while keeping them protected. Dell continues to release updates and patches which enhance the use of this solution. This includes offering ransomware protection.

We are working with Dell to implement a cyber security solution, which is called the air gap solution. We also have Dell Data Domain systems. We back up the data from Isilon or any other system into Dell Data Domain. From Dell Data Domain, we offload to the air gap and secure the data into the air gap or Isilon.

The system is robust. It has had a big impact on the efficiency of our organization. It serves as storage for our core application, which is a revenue-generating application. It plays a key role in our business.

Isilon has the ability to scale file data, although we have not explored this within our business yet.

What is most valuable?

The offloading of data from Isilon to ECS object storage has been cost-effective.

What needs improvement?

Isilon has limitations on the number of files that can be generated.

I have been using this solution for seven years.

This is a stable solution.

This is a scalable solution.

The customer service for this solution is really good. We have a dedicated support account manager and system engineer from Dell who assists us when we need it.

Positive

We do have another solution that we leverage for our NFS protocols. The other system is a little bit more efficient or robust. We also have protocols that we leverage on the other system. They are really good compared to Isilon.

The general cost for a system like this is expensive. The total cost depends on your use case. You need to pay for every additional feature that you use.

What other advice do I have?

I'm impressed by the way the system provides scalability. From an administration standpoint, it's really simple to use. The GUI and interface is easy to manage.

Data access and security platform that has drastically increased efficiency ratios
  • "The recent introduction of inline deduplication and compression has drastically improved our efficiency ratios to make it an economical product. This solution has also had a positive impact on our employees' productivity because it reduces the amount of admin that our staff needs to handle."
  • "The biggest weakness is small file handling. Small file compression options are not enabled out of the box. It would be good to have this enabled by default."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for high concurrency connection and data capacity.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved our organization by filling a gap in some of our home-built applications. It provides a single unified space across the scalable infrastructure. There are no longer multiple points of entry required for the workload.

PowerScale has helped us reduce our overall risk. We lean on the regulatory compliance and SCD drives to ensure data security. It offers various data multi-protocol capabilities. They recently introduced S3, as well as traditional file workloads including SNB, NFS, and SFTP. The security is built-in and includes SED and self-encrypting drives. This allows us to instantly monitor compliance.

What is most valuable?

The scalability of this solution has been most valuable. We have been able to start with a specified workload size and be able to double, triple, or tenfold it without having to change the environment.

What needs improvement?

The biggest weakness is small file handling. Small file compression options are not enabled out of the box. It would be good to have this enabled by default.

I have been using this solution for ten years.

This is a stable solution.

This is a scalable solution. It offers multiple petabytes and tens of thousands of concurrent connections.

Other solutions that we have used have been administratively intensive.

We have been leveraging this platform and folding it into our application stack. This has removed the need for a third-party solution which has reduced overall costs and provided ROI.

What other advice do I have?

This solution requires maintenance. Once the platform is properly deployed, there is a BAU component of maintenance including the replacement of hard drives.

I have been really happy with this product. I have not seen other products in the marketplace that offers this stability and maturity.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Private Cloud
Project Manager at a government with 10,001+ employees
This solution's cybersecurity, including ransom protection is very good
  • "The fact that we were able to set it up, use it, and, for the most part, didn't have to worry about it after we had it set up has been valuable."
  • "Data storage performance needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We have to deal with a lot of data, be able to get it across to and from different locations, and be able to store it. We use this solution for these purposes.

How has it helped my organization?

Overall, Dell PowerScale (Isilon) has made the management of the data and networks easier. Because we are using the same solution for multiple platforms, our personnel have become more efficient.

What is most valuable?

The fact that we were able to set it up, use it, and, for the most part, didn't have to worry about it after we had it set up has been valuable.

PowerScale's cybersecurity, including ransom protection, is very good. We've never had an issue with it.

This solution has helped free up employees to focus on other business priorities.

What needs improvement?

Data storage performance needs to be improved.

We've been using this solution for several years.

It's been very stable.

I would give technical support a ten out of ten. We generally don't need a lot of technical support unless something breaks.

Positive

We previously used another Dell product, and we switched because it became outdated.

Deployment usually takes about three to four months. We implemented it one network at a time.

Maintenance-wise, it requires standard stinging and patching to ensure that security is followed.

We haven't lost any data, and that's probably the biggest return on investment, being able to maintain data integrity.

What other advice do I have?

A technical solution has to meet the requirements, and you have to know what you need in order to figure out what tool is going to best work for that.

Dell PowerScale (Isilon) is a good product. It does the job, and it takes care of the data. I would rate it at nine on a scale from one to ten.

DavidColeman - PeerSpot reviewer
Sales Engineer at a government with 11-50 employees
Data storage solution that provides an easy way to manage unstructured data
  • "This has been a valuable solution for our business overall. It offers business continuity and replication features."
  • "The legacy file system for Epsilon didn't scale into the cloud and didn't have a separate OS. It would be key if this was made possible."

What is our primary use case?

We are an integrator. The main challenge our customers have had with this solution is the unstructured data they have coming in.

How has it helped my organization?

PowerScale is flexible in supporting various data workflows and custom applications, from legacy equipment to newer functionalities.

The solution's cyber security and ransomware protection are definitely a plus. Some of the other key benefits include performance, availability, and being able to have a data lake. It offers a single repository for multiple storage types with access at multiple points.

PowerScale has the ability to scale data across our business, predominantly in an on-premises environment. We are able to scale to different segments within divisions.

This solution is able to create efficiencies in data storage and provide better control of data environments with an easy-to-use interface.

What is most valuable?

PowerScale helps our clients consolidate data storage and multiple applications onto a single platform for easier manageability. By doing this, overall performance is improved and data is better protected.

What needs improvement?

We have used this solution for four years.

This is a very stable solution and we have not experienced any outages.

This is a scalable solution.

The customer support for this solution is excellent.

We evaluated NetApp.

What other advice do I have?

This solution is scalable, fast, and reliable. With the new NVMe technology that has been built into it and the bleeding edge of switches and NVMe, I would definitely recommend this solution.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Download our free Dell PowerScale (Isilon) Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: July 2022