Anteneh Asnake - PeerSpot reviewer
Modern Data Center and Cloud Engineer II at IE Network Solutions PLC
MSP
Flexible and stable with great reporting
  • "The solution is very stable."
  • "The product could offer more integration capabilities."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution the database replications in web hosting, mostly.

What is most valuable?

The duplication capabilities are very helpful.

The native data protection capability and remote data protection capabilities make it a unique solution. It makes it possible so that it will fit with any kind of vendor the customer needs.

The backup features. for example, the exclusionary statement, are excellent.

Overall, the solution offers some really great reporting.

It's very flexible when it comes to the end-user device backup.

In general, the product has been extremely easy to use. It's one of the best aspects.

The solution is very stable.

What needs improvement?

The solution does not scale. It would be nice if there were much more scalability capabilities.

The solution could get better at data process managing. It can take more than three or four hours for supporting images. It's critical to do this faster.

It would be helpful if the product could support Linux patches. It's my understanding it only offers HTML.

The product could offer more integration capabilities.

We've been using the solution for a few years at this point. It's been a while. I personally have been dealing with the solution for four years or so.

Dell Avamar
December 2022
Learn what your peers think about Dell Avamar. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2022.
656,862 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is very stable. It doesn't crash or freeze. There are no bugs or glitches. The performance is very reliable.

The product does not scale. If a company needs something that can scale, they need something else.

We have three customers that are currently using the solution.

Typically, we handle support-related queries from customers, however, we have dealt with Avamar's technical support in the past and they have been helpful and responsive. The response time in particular has always been very good.

The installation process is not complex at all. It's very straightforward. A company shouldn't have any trouble with the process. It's easy.

Deployments typically take about one and a half hours or so.

Currently, we have five technical engineers. Each one has its own specialization that they are capable of deploying Avamar. We can deploy the solution for our clients.

Customers do have to pay for a professional license in order to use the solution.

What other advice do I have?

We are integrators.

We tend to work with relatively new versions of the solution. It may not always be the latest version. Typically the versions we use have been released in the last six months or so.

I'd recommend the solution to other organizations and especially to end-users.

In general, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Shehan Attapattu - PeerSpot reviewer
head of presales at a integrator with 11-50 employees
A stable and scalable solution that's always improving
  • "The source site replication feature is valuable."
  • "It would be better if we could integrate easily with other platforms."

What is our primary use case?

In a data center, the entire workloads are virtualized, and they are backing up the content, and sometimes because of bandwidth, operations need to be backed up quickly. In that kind of scenario, this source site replication is very supportive. Avamar evaluates the data that's already backed up, and only the chain blocks can be transferred via the network. There won't be any heavy network traffic, and the time it takes to backup is quick and within the window.

On the client-side, we can also backup clients with Avamar. These days with the pandemic, most of them work from home, and we're using less network bandwidth to backup end user transfers.

What is most valuable?

The source site replication feature is valuable.

What needs improvement?

It would be better if we could integrate easily with other platforms. I would like to see better integration with VMware vCenter. We normally integrate Avamar with VMware vCenter Server and virtualize Avamar within the VM. Once, we wanted to backup only a few VMs within the vCenter, without integrating it to the vCenter. But we come across some problems. Without adding the vCenter directly, there was some difficulty in adding the VMs. When we replaced more clients in the OS, this problem was solved.

I have been using Dell EMC Avamar for three years.

Dell EMC Avamar is stable so far. As we have worked with software engineers trained to use this product, they can configure and provide support on their own.

Dell EMC Avamar is a scalable solution.

Support is okay. We don't use it frequently as our engineers can manage well. Only when they can't handle a problem, they call support. We also use technical sites and the web portal, and these help our engineers capably handle day to day requirements.

The initial setup isn't complex. Because the engineers are trained, they're familiar with the product and can do this implementation.

The implementation time depends on the data center. The issues we face are mainly on the network. For example, sometimes, their policies on implementing the communication between the servers lead to some downtime. Other than that, we can implement Dell EMC Avamar between two-three days.

We implemented Dell EMC Avamar ourselves, in-house.

It was very expensive before, but after integrating it with Dell EMC Avamar Data Protection suite licensing, we are getting better discounts.

What other advice do I have?

I always see improvements on the Avamar side, and we are happy with that.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Dell EMC Avamar a ten.

Dell Avamar
December 2022
656,862 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior Account Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
A stable and highly scalable solution with great tech support and limitless licensing and hardware capabilities
  • "We are talking about a complete end-to-end solution which comes with its own hardware storage to back up the data on tape-less."
  • "The solution should improve its tape-connectivity features."

What is our primary use case?

The solution can be used for the backing up of all environments, including those which are virtual and involve databases and applications.

What is most valuable?

We are talking about a complete end-to-end solution which comes with its own hardware storage to back up the data on tape-less. It should be on desk and desks solution, which comes with Power Protect and is called data domain. It offers a very small footprint for long term, backup retention, in the realm of 55 times a single duplication ratio. This means that if a person backs up something on one, he will have one petabyte of storage, which can store up to five petabyte of backup copies. This combination makes Dell EMC one of the most perfect solutions available.

What needs improvement?

Avamar does not offer the tape-out, meaning that what a person backs up can only be kept on a disc based appliance, one which is supplied by Avamar. The tape lacks connectivity, which means that if a customer wishes to take tape-out, Avamar is not a fit. He must look for a networker which offers up to tape. The solution should improve its tape-connectivity features.

As we have been serving as the Dell EMC legacy partners since before Dell took over, our company has been dealing with Avamar since the get go, back in 2014.

The solution is certainly stable and comprises 70 percent of the market share.

The solution is highly scalable. Both the licensing and hardware capabilities are without limit. The storage box can be scaled in petabytes.

As, generally speaking, Dell EMC is an enterprise solution company, its technical support is always good.

The initial setup used to be complex, but has since become much easier, more user friendly and faster.

The solution is not expensive for the value one gets. The most expensive thing involves one's data. Should a person's data be compromised, he would be willing to pay a million dollars to retrieve it. This makes the payment of an additional premium for its protection worthwhile.

The licensing capabilities are limitless.

The main difference between Avamar and Networker involves the tape-out. Generally speaking, our customers have compliance policies to keep the tapes out, which is why we mostly recommend Networker. As such, most of my installations are on Networker, not Avamar.

What other advice do I have?

I consider the solution to be most comprehensive in all respects. It has an understanding of most of the vendor's applications.

I rate Dell EMC Avamar as an eight out of ten.

Snr. Systems Architect at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Reseller
Very user-friendly but lacks support for certain plugins
  • "Graphically, it's very user interactive. It's got a very nice interface."
  • "It lacks support for certain plugins, like SAP HANA, for example."

What is our primary use case?

My customer has a huge virtual environment — vCenter and VMware. They need images backed up, they have different workloads like Oracle, SAP, and NetWorker. They have a compliance policy that they have to tape out but Avamar, out of the box, cannot do the tape out. That's why I had to introduce NetWorker into the picture.

What is most valuable?

Graphically, it's very user interactive. It's got a very nice interface. Compared to NetWorker, although Avamar is more user-friendly, it lacks support for certain plugins, like SAP HANA, for example. In this particular project that I'm working on, they need to back up SAP HANA but Avamar does not support that. Also, regarding compliance, they need to tape out. Avamar does not support that out of the box.

I have been using this solution for over six years.

For the project that I am currently working on, I will be using Avamar to migrate their old historical data to the new environment because this new environment is attached to Data Domain. Scalability-wise and stability-wise, I don't see any issues.

I haven't had to contact support as of yet.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. It's good that Dell EMC provides the virtual additions of these appliances for people to practice beforehand. Otherwise, you might be familiar with a certain version but not understand the subsequent versions. You would never know unless you could get a production set up, which is not possible. You can't go and play with the client setup. For this reason, Dell EMC, like other good vendors, offers virtual additions. Data Domain, NetWorker, Avamar, everything you can practice.

The client has directly bought this solution from another partner. I've been subcontracted for this. I don't know anything about the pricing.

What other advice do I have?

Regarding end-users, I would say stick with disk-based backup. Avamar does it very well with the VMware virtual environments, even Hyper-V for that reason.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give Dell EMC Avamar a rating of seven.

The reason I am giving it a rating of seven is because of the plugin issues and the inability to tape out. Frankly, there are still a lot of clients in this region who need to be in compliance — they need the tape out. It's really a nightmare if you want to tape out with Avamar. There's a way to work around this but you've got to install an ADME node, which is actually a small brother of NetWorker. Still, it's a really painful process.

Pre-Sales Manager at ACS
Easy to install with good performance and good backup functionality
  • "It's stable and offers good performance."
  • "Avamar cannot back up Nutanix as a virtual solution."

What is our primary use case?

We're using it in our company. We primarily use the solution as a backup.

What is most valuable?

The backup functionality with Data Domain is good.

Overall, it works quite well.

It's very easy to install the solution.

The product is scalable.

It's stable and offers good performance.

What needs improvement?

It cannot replicate the backup, it can only do the backup. If you want to replicate you need RecoveryPoint.

Avamar cannot back up Nutanix as a virtual solution.

I've been using the solution for one year.

The solution is stable. The performance is good. It's good for vSAN. We haven't dealt with bugs or glitches, and it doesn't crash or freeze.

We have found the solution can scale well. If you need to expand it, it's not a problem.

All of our production is backed up with Avamar.

After we buy Nutanix and an Azure Stack, since we are a service provider and in the future, we will make our service catalog on the Azure Stack and Nutanix Cloud.

Technical support is pretty good. We are pleased with their level of support.

I also work with Veeam and NetBackup.

With Veeam, the advantage is you can back up and replicate with the same product, and it is compatible with all virtual solutions.

The initial setup is simple. We buy the service from Dell.

I was not a part of the deployment as I am a pre-sale manager. I do not handle the setup process directly and cannot speak to how long it takes.

The cost is lower than Veeam, however, how much it actually costs depends on the customer and the use case.

I'm not sure of the exact licensing costs.

What other advice do I have?

We were a partner and resellers. In my last job, I was a preferred partner.

I'm not sure which version we're using. I'm not the backup administrator.

We will stay with Avamar for this platform, however, maybe we will look into Nutanix, and that's why we are searching for another solution. Avamar cannot back up Nutanix as a virtual solution.

I'd warn potential users that it's not the best solution if you have other products other than VMware in your production. If you are just using VMware, it's a very good option.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten as it doesn't work well with every solution, only VMware.

General Director at Miromix United
Backup and recovery software which offers good technical support, stability, and scalability
  • "Stable and scalable backup and recovery software, with good technical support."
  • "Setup and deployment of this solution is complex and requires expert engineers."

What is our primary use case?

Dell EMC Avamar is used for backups and data recovery.

What needs improvement?

Setup and deployment of Dell EMC Avamar is complex. It requires expert engineers. Making its setup easier is something that could be improved.

Dell EMC Avamar is stable, especially because it's been around for a very long period of time.

We are preparing ourselves for a big project for the Ukrainian Railways, and I found that a lot of railways worldwide, e.g. in the US, England, and other countries in Europe, use Dell EMC Avamar as their backup solution. It is stable.

Dell EMC Avamar is a scalable product.

Technical support for this product is good.

Installing this solution was not easy. It requires engineers with expertise for a successful setup.

Deployment of Dell EMC Avamar is not easy.

What other advice do I have?

We sell Dell EMC Avamar, but we have not sold that many, just several. We've been partners of Dell for a long period of time, so we have the partnership for Dell EMC Avamar, and we can sell it at anytime, but we don't have much expertise on the product. We sell it worldwide and it was not so difficult to sell because it met corporate standards, e.g. for companies in the same level as Ernst & Young, Xerox, Proctor & Gamble, Philips, etc.

We have not been certified to deploy this solution on the Cloud, but we're looking into this.

In general, when you look at the spec sheet for Dell EMC Avamar, it's a very good product.

We're looking forward to trying this product's isolated backup feature.

For the deployment and maintenance of this product, at least two engineers are required. We only have several clients using it, and they received the product from us, but it didn't require installation because the installation was provided remotely by the headquarters.

We sell backup software from Symantec, Dell, and Commvault. Our company doesn't have engineers certified in Dell EMC Avamar, however, because it is a difficult product. There's a lack of customers as well, so we didn't train and we didn't have our engineers certified for it.

Dell EMC Avamar is a product I can recommend to others.

I don't remember exactly the licensing policy for this product. You have to pay for it for three years, then you also have to pay for support after a certain period of time, but I'm unsure.

I'm giving Dell EMC Avamar an eight out of ten, because it's very good, but it's not easy to deploy.

Senior Consultant at a tech company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Good stability and backup speed, but the GUI and reporting need to be improved
  • "It works quickly and is very stable."
  • "The screen design is a bit back-dated."

What is our primary use case?

We are system integrators who are selling backup solutions, and Dell EMC Avamar is one of the products that we implement for our clients.

I had come across it for backing up laptops and VMware but previously, I have had clients using it to backup system machines like AIX, Solaris, and others. Slowly, people are moving away from those.

What is most valuable?

Using Avamar for VM backup is pretty good, but we've used it for other purposes as well.

It works quickly and is very stable.

What needs improvement?

The screen design is a bit back-dated.

The reports are not very presentable.

The price of this product should be lower.

We have been working with Dell EMC Avamar for a few years.

This is a very stable product.

Avamar is quite scalable.

With respect to technical support, sometimes you get a good technician or a good engineer, and you can get the problem resolved pretty fast. If on the other hand, you get someone with a very heavy accent then you can speak for three hours and not understand what the other is trying to say.

We work with quite a number of backup products including Veritas NetBackup, Veritas Backup Exec, Dell EMC Networker, Dell EMC Avamar, and Rubrick.

The choice of product that I recommend depends on the situation and what the customer is saying. If they are not happy with one then I can suggest others that are good, too.

What other advice do I have?

If my customer is already using an existing product then I will not recommend that they switch unless there are serious problems. If there is some heavy restructuring, for instance, because a previous person knew the environment very well, it will be difficult to take over. It is best if they have something very simple to manage.

In general, it is not easy to switch from one backup platform to another because of incompatibility.

My advice for anybody who is implementing Dell EMC Avamar is that it's always good to have a plan first. You want to know exactly what you have on-hand that you need to back up.

Overall, this is a good product. The stability and backup speed are very good but the GUI and reports are not something that a new user can get used to.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Product Owner at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
If you can justify the high cost, it's a stable, good product
  • "Centralization is Avamar's biggest advantage. It moves data to a central location from various geographical locations."
  • "Avamar needs a greater emphasis on storage targets. If it's going to keep pace with the times, it needs more ability to leverage cloud storage."

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Avamar needs a greater emphasis on storage targets. If it's going to keep pace with the times, it needs more ability to leverage cloud storage.

We've been using Dell EMC Avamar for 10 years or more.

Avamar is stable.

Avamar is scalable.

Dell EMC support used to be outstanding, but lately, they seem to have dropped the focus, I've noticed. In the past year, the support hasn't been quite the same. I think they're focusing more on other products. In my opinion, they're not giving the same level of focus in terms of support and development to the Avamar-type products.

Installing Avamar is complex. It is complicated to install, configure, and get it working in a complex network. However, it's the same with most data protection products.

Avamar is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Avamar five out of 10 because it lacks cloud capabilities. Two years ago, I would've rated it nine, but these days, I give it a five. Avamar is a good product with a lot of potential, but if Dell isn't willing to put more effort into developing it, my advice would be to look elsewhere. Look at Veeam, Rubrik, or other products in the industry. There are products more suitable for enterprises, especially if they're migrating to the cloud. If they're traditional and have their own data center, I would recommend Avamar. Avamar is a stable, good product if you can justify the cost. If they need something that integrates with the cloud, they should look elsewhere.

I'd recommend Veeam, which does a better job of integrating cloud assets with native storage. It isn't locked into its own specific storage, like your data domain or that sort of thing. The configuration is more straightforward, and it's more cost-effective. Still, the primary reason is that Veeam is ahead of Dell products in the cloud space. These days, most organizations are moving to the cloud, and Veeam seems to be ahead of the game in that space. Dell EMC needs to lower Avamar's price and add more features to stay competitive.

Download our free Dell Avamar Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: December 2022