We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Network Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Feature-rich, easy to develop, good support, but it's expensive and needs a better GUI
  • "I like the fact that they are a well-supported product."
  • "I am looking for a GUI that goes alongside them and more SD-WAN built to their core switches."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for Data Center switches.

What is most valuable?

I like the supportability because it's Cisco. I like the fact that they are a well-supported product.

I am comfortable with the operating system and I like the regularity of them.

They are quite straightforward and easy to develop.

What needs improvement?

I'm looking at changing our firewall estate, and at the same time, looking at integrating our firewalls with whatever our core switch solution is going to be. I can't necessarily do that with the costings of a Cisco organization, as they're too expensive.

I have been working with Cisco Nexus for two and a half years.

I am happy with the stability.

It's feature-rich, and they are expandable.

We have approximately a thousand users.

Cisco's technical support and their global footprint are one of the reasons I would stay with Cisco, and I can get their hardware from anywhere in the world.

I wasn't there at the time, but I know who put it in and it was straightforward.

It took a couple of weeks to deploy.

We have two engineers to maintain this solution.

I thought that it would be less expensive. I always thought that Cisco charges more because of who they are, above the product itself.

Whilst it's the best of the breed, and it's the top right-hand corner at Gartner, I wonder how long that would be attractive.

What other advice do I have?

To others who are interested in this solution, I would say that if you have the money to spend and you want you to want to branch out to the rest of the world, then you should use this solution.

I would rate Cisco Nexus a seven out of ten.

Lead Presales at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Exceptionally stable, scalable, and helpful support

What is our primary use case?

We are using the Cisco Nexus as our core switch for our main backbone.

I have been using Cisco Nexus for approximately two years.

The solution is stable. Nowadays, every five years technology changes. However, you will find customers who are using the same Cisco switch which has a life span of five years or seven years, will still be using them for more than 10 years without raising a single ticket. This is the confidence they have in Cisco. This is my personal customer experience, it makes it difficult for us to generate business. We can do a technology refresh or a product replacement But when there is Cisco, it is tough for any person to replace that…

What is our primary use case?

We are using the Cisco Nexus as our core switch for our main backbone.

I have been using Cisco Nexus for approximately two years.

The solution is stable.

Nowadays, every five years technology changes. However, you will find customers who are using the same Cisco switch which has a life span of five years or seven years, will still be using them for more than 10 years without raising a single ticket. This is the confidence they have in Cisco. This is my personal customer experience, it makes it difficult for us to generate business. We can do a technology refresh or a product replacement But when there is Cisco, it is tough for any person to replace that solution. Cisco has that X factor in their solutions, and specifically with networking. Nexus is definitely their bread and butter. It is an exceptional solution.

Cisco Nexus is scalable.

We have approximately two customers.

The Technical support of Cisco is really good. It is a core switch, you require three to four hours, same business day support. They give you a good resolution within that time. They are good at troubleshooting.

The installation is straightforward. If you have someone who is certified to do the implementation of Cisco Nexus they can do it quickly.

All other switches, such as distributed switches and access switches connect to the Cisco Nexus switch. If you have done everything correctly including the sizing, there should not be an issue at the time of installation.

we have one manager and one engineer for the deployment and maintenance of the solution.

The subscription model and price could be better.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Cisco Nexus an eight out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Cisco Nexus. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,599 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Hesham Rashed
Managing Director at Technology Pro Egypt
Reseller
Easy to use, easy to manage, scalable, and very reliable
  • "Its easy management is most valuable. It is easy to use, easy to manage, stable, and very reliable."
  • "The cost of the support can be improved. We had critical operations, and we needed 24/7 support for 365 days, which was quite expensive. We had to go for a very costly support contract, which was really a concern. The availability of spare parts, especially in a remote location such as Egypt, can also be improved."

What is our primary use case?

The Cisco Nexus switches are the best and most reliable solution for us in my previous company, which was a telecom service provider. We used cisco modular switches for our heavy services as part of our GSM network as it requires heavy processing and highest performance.

What is most valuable?

Its easy management is most valuable. It is easy to use, easy to manage, stable, and very reliable.

What needs improvement?

The cost of the support can be improved. We had critical operations, and we needed 24/7 support for 365 days, which was quite expensive. We had to go for a very costly support contract, which was really a concern. The availability of spare parts, especially in a remote location such as Egypt, can also be improved.

I have been using this solution for quite sometime, several years.

It is stable and reliable.

It is very scalable. We had around 7,000 users in our company & more than 26 million GSM customers.

They have been responsive, but you need the right support contract. We had critical operations, and normally, we asked for the highest level of support and next-day replacement or avail spare parts on-site. It was easy and not that difficult but very costly.

It was straightforward and easy.

General it is a mutual cooperation and ix between the in-house team and the vendor, and both are highly qualified.

Licensing is annual or every three years. We were one of the big customers, and we used to get good prices, but the cost of the support need to be improved.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Cisco Nexus an eight out of ten.

System Engineer at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
A stable and scalable solution with good tech support which allows the managers to work unencumbered
  • "Tech support is good."
  • "The installation process lasted too long, taking 16 to 24 hours for full completion."

What is our primary use case?

I do not know which version we are using.

What is most valuable?

The solution has good stability, so the technical team, the people handling the data center, are very comfortable with it and can push some policies as per the applications. So, I feel the solution to be okay. It really supports the management perspective. While it may not add value for the users, it enables the administrators to work freely. I am referring to the port network switches.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be more user-friendly.

It should have a more lenient cost. It could be cheaper in general.

The installation process lasted too long, taking 16 to 24 hours for full completion. It should be faster.

We have been using Cisco Nexus for two years.

The solution is sufficiently stable.

I feel the solution to be sufficiently scalable.

Tech support is good. There is no need for it to be improved.

Installation is unduly long, with the entire process lasting 16 to 24 hours.

We have around ten people managing these devices, consisting of managers, administrators and engineers.

The solution should be more cost-effective in general. There is an annual licensing fee.

What other advice do I have?

The same 9,000 people connect daily to these applications in our data center.

I would definitely recommend this solution to others.

I rate Cisco Nexus as an eight out of ten.

CEO at a construction company with 11-50 employees
Stable and easy to use modular and fixed port network switches

What is our primary use case?

We use Cisco Nexus for the switches. It's a switch product, and I think we have 350 users on our network.

What is most valuable?

It's easy to use, and the performance is great. I like the VRF IP route for the network. It's five minutes of work.

What needs improvement?

The price could be better.

I've been using Cisco Nexus for the last three years.

Cisco Nexus is stable, and the performance is great.

Cisco Nexus is a scalable product.

I have contacted technical support many times, and I am satisfied with my experience.

How was the initial

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The price could be better.

I've been using Cisco Nexus for the last three years.

Cisco Nexus is stable, and the performance is great.

Cisco Nexus is a scalable product.

The installations were easy. The time to deploy depends on the model and the size of the product you will be using. But it will definitely take hours. We have ten people in our team to implement and maintain this solution. But it depends on the project. Sometimes we will have 15 people working on it.

We implemented this solution by ourselves.

The problem with Cisco, from what I see, is that their costs are much higher. The costs depend on the features you need, and the license is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

From a functional and technical point of view, I would recommend Cisco Nexus to potential users.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Cisco Nexus a nine.

Founder & CEO at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Valuable data center features, continual feature refinement, highly scalable and stable.
  • "Cisco is refining the features all the time and you can see this in all the different vendors."
  • "They could improve on having different technologies between product models."

What is our primary use case?

I use the solution in the customer's companies. I have used many different version of the solution.

What is most valuable?

I find all the data center features to be most valuable, such as VXLAN and OTV. The ACI and FEX connectivity are good features too. Cisco is refining the features all the time and you can see this in all the different vendors.

What needs improvement?

They could improve on having different technologies between product models. The management dashboard could be better if it could handle the Catalyst and the Nexus at the same time. If Cisco could find management connectivity between the DMA center and the ACI connectivity this would be helpful.

I have been using the product for more than ten years.

The solution is stable.

I have found the scalability good with this product.

The support we received was excellent.

I have worked previously with Catalyst version 6500, 4500, and 3750 series, most of them.

The setup of the solution was easy.

The price of the product is reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

In all the benchmarks and testing that I did, I found the best solution to be Cisco. I recommend the product. They have a good product with all the features that are required.

I rate Cisco Nexus a nine out of ten.

Sr. Principal Engineer at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
One of the most stable solutions, with good support from Cisco

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are extensions and recorded scalability.

What needs improvement?

Areas for improvement would be the delivery timeline for the actual model, the length of which means we have to sacrifice a range of models because we can't wait six months for delivery.

I've been working with this solution for a few months.

In terms of stability, it's so far so good - we haven't faced any big issues at this point.

We want to extend out to other regions, which is very easy to achieve if compared to the typical traditional legacy layer 2 switch, layer 3 routing approach.

How was the initial

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are extensions and recorded scalability.

What needs improvement?

I've been working with this solution for a few months.

The initial setup wasn't simple or user-friendly. We're still in the process of fully deploying - currently, we've been working on it for around three months.

We used the Cisco team to implement, with whom we've had a good experience. We've also had support from HPE, who are very technically strong and able to answer any questions we have on the spot.

I don't like the Smart Licensing models that Cisco uses.

What other advice do I have?

Cisco is one of the most stable solutions, regardless of which model. I would give this solution a rating of eight out of ten.

Private Cloud
Network Manager at a transportation company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Low latency, good performance, and very stable
  • "Its low latency is most valuable. Its performance is good, and it is also very stable."
  • "The operating system needs to be improved. There should be stability in the operating system, and it should not have as many vulnerabilities."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for the data center. We have its latest version.

What is most valuable?

Its low latency is most valuable. Its performance is good, and it is also very stable.

What needs improvement?

The operating system needs to be improved. There should be stability in the operating system, and it should not have as many vulnerabilities.

It is very expensive. Its price could be better.

I have been using this solution for ten years.

It is very stable.

It is a really good scalable product. Currently, we have about 50 users. We don't have any plans to increase its usage.

I don't have experience with the technical support of Cisco.

We didn't use any other solution previously.

Its installation is straightforward. It only takes 15 minutes.

We do it ourselves. We have about four admins for deployment and maintenance.

It is very expensive. Its licensing is on a yearly basis.

We didn't evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. Cisco is a good vendor to work with.

I would rate Cisco Nexus an eight out of ten.