We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Thomas Fuchs
General Manager Data & Analytics at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Great data pipeline and the orchestration functionality with a good user interface
  • "The initial setup is very quick and easy."
  • "Integration of data lineage would be a nice feature in terms of DevOps integration. It would make implementation for a company much easier. I'm not sure if that's already available or not. However, that would be a great feature to add if it isn't already there."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used for data integration. We are using it for the data pipelines to get data out of the legacy systems and provide it to the Azure SQL Database. We are using the SQL data source providers mainly.

What is most valuable?

The data pipeline and the orchestration functionality are the most valuable aspects of the solution.

The interface is very good. It seeks to be very responsive and intuitive.

The initial setup is very quick and easy.

What needs improvement?

I'm more of a general manager. I don't have any insights in terms of missing features or items of that nature.

Integration of data lineage would be a nice feature in terms of DevOps integration. It would make implementation for a company much easier. I'm not sure if that's already available or not. However, that would be a great feature to add if it isn't already there.

We've used the solution for the last 12 months or so.

From what I have witnessed, the solution is quite stable. It doesn't crash or freeze. There are no bugs or glitches. It's reliable.

We work with medium to enterprise-level organizations. Customers have anywhere from 300 employees up to 160,000 employees.

Microsoft offers a great community. There's a lot of support available. We're quite satisfied with the level of assistance on offer.

Since the solution is a service, it's basically just a click and run setup. It's very simple. There's very little implementation necessary. A company should be able to easily arrange it. The deployment doesn't take very long at all.

We do provide the implementation for our clients. We're able to provide templates as well. We have predefined implementation space in Data Factory and provide it to the customer.

While clients might individually evaluate other options, however, we're not aware of that information. I can't say what other solution clients might consider before ultimately choosing Microsoft. I would say that it is likely Talend and maybe SQL Server Integration Services.

What other advice do I have?

We are like an integrator. We are a data warehouse NPI consulting company and we use Data Factory to pull data from different legacy systems and do all these transformations that are necessary in order to provide analytical models.

In our normal scenario is that we are providing Azure SQL Databases together with Azure Data Factory and Power BI. 80% of our customers have recognized such a scenario.

On a scale from one to ten, I'd rate the solution at an eight. We've been largely happy with the capabilities of the product.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Implementator
Principal Engineer at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
Simple to set up and the activity copy functionality is helpful, but tutorials on the Snowflake connectivity should be added
  • "The most valuable feature is the copy activity."
  • "Snowflake connectivity was recently added and if the vendor provided some videos on how to create data then that would be helpful."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily used this solution for getting data from a client's server, or online data, to an Azure Data Lake. We create pipelines to orchestrate the data flow from source to target.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the copy activity. Instead of creating a pipeline and then doing a source to target copy, this feature will create the pipeline directly.

What needs improvement?

Snowflake connectivity was recently added and if the vendor provided some videos on how to create data then that would be helpful. I think that everything is there, but we need more tutorials.

We have been working with Azure Data Factory for the past two years.

Occasionally, there are timeout issues that happen when connecting to the source or the target. Normally, you just hit refresh and it will connect properly.

Being a cloud product, it can scale as much as we need.

In my project, there are ten people using this product.

I have been in contact with technical support and it's good, as long as you directly connect with the appropriate technical person right away. When you raise an issue, sometimes the people who are available are unfamiliar with that particular technology, so they have to route the issue to the concerned person. This routing takes at least one or two days, so if you can directly get the corresponding person allocated to the ticket, that would be great.

The initial setup is simple and it only takes perhaps five minutes to deploy.

When one of our developers wants to use it, they can create their own jobs.

Our deployment was completed by an in-house team.

No maintenance is required and when we experience problems, we normally solve them on our own.

The licensing is a pay-as-you-go model, where you pay for what you consume.

What other advice do I have?

If you have Azure as a cloud service and you want to perform ETL then Azure Data Factory is a product that I can recommend.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
Learn what your peers think about Azure Data Factory. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,599 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Data Strategist | Azure Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
An easy initial setup with a fast deployment and good technical support
  • "On the tool itself, we've never experienced any bugs or glitches. There haven't been crashes. Stability has been good."
  • "If the user interface was more user friendly and there was better error feedback, it would be helpful."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for my small and medium-sized clients.

What is most valuable?

So far, I'm quite happy with the solution overall. It's got a lot of tools that I use in my work, and these are items I'm already recommending to my clients. I'm quite happy with it.

What needs improvement?

I'm not sure if I have any complaints about the solution at the moment. There are a few bits and pieces that we would like to see improved. These include improvements related to the solution's ease of use and some quality flash upgrades. However, these are minor complaints.

I've been working with the solution for three to four years now.

I haven't had the ability to scale any of my projects personally. I also wouldn't need to scale too high if I did. I'm not sure if I can speak to aspects of scalability as I've never dealt with it.

I've contacted Microsoft technical support in the past. I have to say that I've had a good experience with them. I've been quite satisfied with their level of service.

The initial setup was very straightforward. I wouldn't describe it as complex.

Deployment is fast. It only takes about half an hour at most.

I don't have any information about the pricing. I don't deal with that aspect of the solution.

What other advice do I have?

I typically work with small to medium-sized companies. I'm a consultant, so I give different advice based on what my clients need and what they want to do. However, I would recommend this product.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. All of the issues I have with the solution are very minor, however, it means the solution isn't exactly perfect just yet.

CTO at a construction company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Fully integrated with the Azure environment and includes support for many connectors
  • "The security of the agent that is installed on-premises is very good."
  • "The pricing scheme is very complex and difficult to understand."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution to gather information from SCADA systems, analyze it using AI and machine learning, and then sending the results to our users. They receive and view the data using the Power BI interface.

How has it helped my organization?

The integration with the whole environment is smooth and transparent.

What is most valuable?

The reason that we implemented this product is for the full integration with the whole Azure environment. It is very important because you don't have to deal with security, identity flow, or audit flow.

The security of the agent that is installed on-premises is very good. This is another important feature for us.

It comes with a lot of connectors out of the box, including support for SQL, Oracle, SAP, and ODBC.

What needs improvement?

The pricing scheme is very complex and difficult to understand. Analyzing it upfront is impossible, so we just decided to start using it and figure out the costs on a weekly or monthly basis.

We have just begun using Azure Data Factory within the past two or three months and it is not fully rolled out yet.

We have no issues with technical support. We are working closely with Microsoft partners. There were a couple of problems during the installation that were solved on the fly, and otherwise, we haven't had and trouble.

We started with iConduct and as we migrated to the Azure environment, we began the process of switching to the Microsoft Azure Data Factory.

The initial setup was not very complex and the deployment was very quick. We were set up within a matter of days, or perhaps a week.

We received help from one of the Microsoft partners, who handled the installation for us.

What other advice do I have?

To this point, we are still learning the system and have only tried a very simple data flow. At this point, we haven't had any issues.

BI Practice Lead at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to set up and integrates well, but it needs support for custom data delimiters
  • "It is easy to integrate."
  • "You cannot use a custom data delimiter, which means that you have problems receiving data in certain formats."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is integrating data from different ERP systems and loading it into Azure Synapse for reporting. We use Power BI for the reporting side of it.

We also have customers who are migrating to Azure Data Factory and we are assisting them with making the transition.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to integrate.

I do not foresee any issues with security.

What needs improvement?

I find that Azure Data Factory is still maturing, so there are issues. For example, there are many features missing that you can find in other products.

You cannot use a custom data delimiter, which means that you have problems receiving data in certain formats. For example, there are problems dealing with data that is comma-delimited.

I have been using Azure Data Factor for almost one year.

The stability is dependent on how you set up your cloud infrastructure, and how you authorize people to make use of it.

I have not seen any issues with respect to scalability, as it is all hosted within the cloud. We have approximately 20 users.

I have been in contact with technical support, although most of the time I was told that the feature I was interested in was not yet available. In these cases, they will be implementing the missing features in the future.

I use several similar products by different vendors including Talend, Informatica, and Microsoft SSIS. The biggest advantage that Azure has is deployment. However, in others, it is possible to specify custom data delimiters.

The initial setup is pretty simple and it can be deployed in a couple of hours.

I deployed it myself and am also responsible for maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a five out of ten.

Andres Felipe Naranjo
.NET Architect at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
A cloud-based data integration service that's easy to understand and use
  • "I think it makes it very easy to understand what data flow is and so on. You can leverage the user interface to do the different data flows, and it's great. I like it a lot."
  • "It would be better if it had machine learning capabilities."

What is our primary use case?

I use Azure Data Factory in my company because we are implementing a lot of different projects for a big company based in the USA. We're getting certain information from different sources—for example, some files in the Azure Blob Storage. We're migrating that information to other databases. We are validating and transforming the data. After that, we put that data in some databases in Azure Synapse and SQL databases.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

It would be better if it had machine learning capabilities. For example, at the moment, we're working with Databricks and Azure Data Factory. But Databricks is very complex to do the different data flows. It could be great to have more functionalities to do that in Azure Data Factory.

I have been using Azure Data Factory for about one year.

Azure Data Factory is a stable solution.

It's scalable. We're doing a lot of different integrations with a lot of data, and scalability is great.

The initial setup is straightforward. I think that it's so easy to start a project using that technology.

We have a team that's in charge of doing the deployments in Azure in different environments.

What other advice do I have?

I would tell potential users that there are many technologies to do this. For example, if you like to manage big data and do something with it, it would be better to use Databricks.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Azure Data Factory a nine.

Data engineer at Target
Reliable and scalable but setup is complex
  • "Allows more data between on-premises and cloud solutions"
  • "Some of the optimization techniques are not scalable."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use cases for this solution are integration and connecting to the different data stores where we get data and migration activity, deployment, and integrations into using linked services and deployment models.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has allowed me to quickly get analysis, sales data, supply chain data, and eCommerce data.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is that it allows more data between on-premises and cloud solutions. It's also useful for orchestration for complex data flows and allows us to do ETL-based transitions heavily. In addition, it allows us to integrate with other third-party systems and compare features and pricing. Other valuable features include database replication, SQL service products, SLA support, data sharing, vendor lock-in, and support for developer tools.

What needs improvement?

Areas for improvement would be the product's performance and its mapping of data flow. In addition, some of the optimization techniques are not scalable, some naming connections are not supported, and automated testing is not supported in all cases. In the next release, I would like to see support so we can enhance based on the next-level pipelines, writing from scratch, flexible scheduling, and pipeline activity.

I've been using this solution for about a year.

This solution is very reliable.

This solution is scalable.

I am satisfied with the technical support.

I previously worked with Azure SQL database.

The initial setup was complex, but the deployment only took 30 to 40 minutes.

This product is priced at the market standard, which is good given that the product contains all the available assets.

What other advice do I have?

When selecting services, make sure to choose only those you need in order to reduce your costs. I would rate this solution as seven out of ten.

Balan Murugan
Azure Technical Architect at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to set up, has many built-in connectors for onboarding data, and offers good support
  • "It has built-in connectors for more than 100 sources and onboarding data from many different sources to the cloud environment."
  • "We have experienced some issues with the integration. This is an area that needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for data integration.

What is most valuable?

It has everything we needed.

Being able to post your feedback and queries is a very good feature that is offered by Azure Data Factory.

What needs improvement?

Understanding the pricing model for Data Factory is quite complex. It needs to be simplified, and easier to understand.

I have been using this solution for almost two years.

So far it's been stable. We have not experienced any issues.

I haven't put much thought into scalability.

I have contacted technical support.

If there are any queries, they have the provision to post them in the Data Factory GUI and we can contact the team directly. This is a very nice feature.

Any feedback or improvements that we post is acknowledged and taken care of.

The initial setup was straightforward. It was not complex.

Pricing is quite complex.

I have had feedback from many people and many of my team members, and they say that it is difficult to understand.

Understanding the pricing of Data Factory is quite complex.

It is not presented in a straightforward way.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution to anyone who is interested in using it.

I would rate Azure Data Factory an eight out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
Download our free Azure Data Factory Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.