We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Suraj Kshirsagar
Azure Architect\Informatica ETL Developer at Relativity
A helpful and responsive GUI, but there are a lot of tasks for which you need to write code
  • "The most valuable feature is the ease in which you can create an ETL pipeline."
  • "The support and the documentation can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

I use this primarily for ETL tasks.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ease in which you can create an ETL pipeline.

The GUI is very helpful when it comes to creating pipelines. The user interface is also very fast.

The connection to Snowflake is easy. I can store data and transform it during the ETL process before sending it to Snowflake.

What needs improvement?

Azure Data Factory is a bit complicated compared to Informatica. There are a lot of connectors that are missing and there are a lot of instances where I need to create a server and install Integration Runtime.

The support and the documentation can be improved.

There are a lot of tasks that you need to write code for.

I have been using Azure Data Factory for about six months.

I have experience with Informatica and I find it easier to use. For example, there are a lot of connectors that are directly available. Also, Informatica is able to take incremental copies, but with Azure, you have to write code to do that.

I have also worked with Matillion and Fivetran, and I feel that there are a lot of things that Azure can learn from these products. For example, with Fivetran there are very good connectors for copying data between other solutions. This is unlike Azure, where a lot of the time, I have to build my own logic.

The initial setup is complex.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
Soumyojit Sen
Director of Product Management at EIM solutions
Powerful data transformations and the stability is good. Performance is good
  • "The most valuable features are data transformations."
  • "The speed and performance need to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is data loading.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are data transformations.

What needs improvement?

The speed and performance can be further improved.

This solution should be able to connect with custom APIs.

We have been using this solution for one or two months.

The stability of the Azure Data Factory is very good.

The scalability is good. We have about five users for this solution and they are all developers.

The technical support for this solution is good.

We did not use another solution prior to this one.

The initial setup of the Azure Data Factory was simple. It took us one week to deploy it.

We deployed this solution with our in-house team.

Good

Our licensing fees are approximately 15,000 ($150 USD) per month. There are no additional fees.

We evaluated a solution by Talend before selecting the Azure Data Factory.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this solution is to first get in touch with the Microsoft team to get their support so that you don't spend too much on research.

I would rate this solution a eight out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
Learn what your peers think about Azure Data Factory. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,729 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior Data Engineer at a real estate/law firm with 201-500 employees
Effective, easy to scale, stable, and reasonably priced
  • "It's extremely consistent."
  • "Real-time replication is required, and this is not a simple task."

What is most valuable?

I like Azure Data Factory, it works quite well.

It is always effective. It's extremely consistent.

What needs improvement?

The only thing I wish it had was real-time replication when replicating data over, rather than just allowing you to drop all the data and replace it. It would be beneficial if you could replicate it.

Real-time replication is required, and this is not a simple task.

We are using the latest version of Azure Data Factory.

I have no issues with the stability of the Azure Data Factory. We have not had any glitches.

Azure Data Factory is extremely simple to scale.

This solution is used by a dozen people in our company.

I have not contacted technical support. We haven't needed the assistance of technical support.

We use Microsoft products such as Azure Databricks.

Azure Data Factory is the only solution that I have used since I started with this company.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. However, there is a bit of a learning curve, but once you get it, it's pretty simple.

It's not particularly expensive.

What other advice do I have?

It works very well.

I would rate Azure Data Factory an eight out of ten.

Enterprise Data Architect at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
Good support, easy to use, and integrates well with the rest of the activities on Azure
  • "Its integrability with the rest of the activities on Azure is most valuable."
  • "It can improve from the perspective of active logging. It can provide active logging information."

What is our primary use case?

In my new organization, we are currently analyzing this solution. In my previous organization, I have worked with Azure Data Factory and Databricks.

It is deployed in a virtual private cloud.

What is most valuable?

Its integrability with the rest of the activities on Azure is most valuable.

It is also easier to work with. It has a nice user interface that would seem very familiar to some of the people who are coming from Microsoft SSIS and other similar kinds of activities. It makes it easy for them to pick it up quickly.

What needs improvement?

It can improve from the perspective of active logging. It can provide active logging information.

It should provide support for changing data capture on several other platforms.

I have been using this solution for two years.

It is scalable. From the security perspective, it depends on how we implement it. It depends on the organization, but I don't see a challenge.

In my previous organization, we had close to a hundred people.

Their technical support is very good.

It was very easy.

What other advice do I have?

I would generally recommend this solution if you have an Azure setup or Azure as a baseline.

I would rate Azure Data Factory an eight out of 10.

Private Cloud
Senior Systems Analyst at a non-profit with 201-500 employees
Good stability and scalability with a valuable data copy template

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution to gather data from four separate operational systems.

What is most valuable?

The data copy template is a valuable feature. With the pipeline template, it takes only a few clicks for the on-premises data to come in.

What needs improvement?

There is no built-in function for automatically adding notifications concerning the progress or outline of a pipeline run. I believe this requires a bit of development through power ups, but it would be nice to have a task for firing off an email through the GUI.

I have been using Azure Data Factory for around six months.

When it comes to stability, the solution is similar to the previous Azure…

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution to gather data from four separate operational systems.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Azure Data Factory for around six months.

When it comes to stability, the solution is similar to the previous Azure Synapse Analytics. They are both very easy.

When it comes to scalability, the solution is similar to the previous Azure Synapse Analytics. They are both very easy.

The licensing cost is included in the Synapse.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Azure Data Factory as an eight out of ten.

Download our free Azure Data Factory Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.