We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Principal Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Scales according to our requirements, but the interface needs some additional functionality
  • "The most valuable feature is the scalability because it automatically scales up or scales down as per our requirements."
  • "I would like to be able to view a graphical deployment map in the user interface that will give me an overview of the configuration and help to determine whether I have missed any steps."

What is our primary use case?

We are a technical services company and this is one of the solutions that we have helped implement for our clients. We stopped using AWS about six months ago and as such, we are not currently using the AWS Web Application Firewall.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I would like to be able to view a graphical deployment map in the user interface that will give me an overview of the configuration and help to determine whether I have missed any steps.

The stability is good. From our experience, I've felt very happy with all of the AWS components in terms of stability. They work fine and have met our requirements.

The scalability of this solution is very good.

I am really happy with the AWS customer support, although I have not needed to contact them for this solution.

We have changed solutions because the choice of product depends on the customer's preferences and requirements. When I am working on a contract, I am required to use whatever they ask me to. If I already have the experience then I apply it. Otherwise, I learn what I need to, which sometimes involves taking training courses.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this solution is not to simply look it up on Google before starting to use it. I would suggest taking some training courses, start to understand how it works internally, and then begin using it.

Overall, it is a good product and it generally fits well for my purposes.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Thierry Gaudin
IT Governance at Globecast
Redirects any threats and attacks and protects our code
  • "The most valuable aspect is that it protects our code. It's a bit difficult to overwrite code in our application. It also protects against threats."
  • "It's a bit difficult to apply the right rules for the right security."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to protect our internal web solution. We use it to have an internal application for our customers. We are an SME worldwide company, so we have some internal website solutions architects that use this as an internal portal to the internet. We apply a WAF front to our web application.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspect is that it protects our code. It's a bit difficult to overwrite code in our application. It also protects against threats. It's important to protect the code against the threats on the internet. It redirects any threat, any attack, to a Fail2ban mechanism.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes it's a bit difficult to check the rules because when you apply a rule, sometimes it's too much and we need to rewrite the rules and make compromises on the rules because it will block too many things. It's a bit difficult to apply the right rules for the right security.

We have used AWS WAF for around a year.

Their support is very good. We have an enterprise agreement with Amazon.

I don't remember there being any problems with the setup.

What other advice do I have?

I think AWS WAF is a great solution. You can define big and a bit smaller architectures and scale out architecture as you need, due to the edge location. Its features are very amazing.

I would definitely recommend AWS WAF. I asked my security director to move from our internal WAF to the AWS WAF because we can make global unique WAF services for our on-premise web servers and also our AWS web servers with one common rule and one common authority to manage these rules

I would rate AWS WAF an eight out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about AWS WAF. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,729 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Cloud architect at a tech vendor with 1-10 employees
Good integration with AWS services, and no installation is required
  • "This is not a product that you need to install. You just use it."
  • "I would like to see it more tightly integrated with other AWS services."

What is our primary use case?

We use this product for our web application firewall. It is used for production services.

I am not a direct customer but I have installed it for one of my clients.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it is integrated with other AWS services.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see it more tightly integrated with other AWS services.

I have been working intermittently with AWS WAF over the past two years.

AWS WAF is extremely scalable.

At this point, we don't have any plans to increase our usage of it.

Prior to AWS WAF, I was using a Cisco web application firewall. However, when I started using AWS, I switched.

This is not a product that you need to install. You just use it.

The only people that need to work with it are those who configure it.

You need an additional AWS subscription for this product if you are buying a managed tool.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a good product and I recommend it. My advice for anybody who is just getting started with it is to follow the instructions.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
DanielSeco
Jefe subdepartamento Operaciones at a government with 10,001+ employees
Reasonably priced, stable, and offers excellent performance
  • "Their technical support has been quite good."
  • "We haven't faced any problems with the solution."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution as a gateway service and a transaction portal.

What is most valuable?

We haven't had any issues with the solution so far.

The pricing of the product is very good. They make it very reasonable and it's very easy to afford.

Their technical support has been quite good.

The performance is excellent. It's reliable.

We've found the solution to be quite stable.

What needs improvement?

We haven't faced any problems with the solution. I can't speak to any missing features. Every aspect of it has been quite good.

I've been using the solution for a while.

The stability has been very good. We've enjoyed a very reliable performance. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's been good.

Technical support has been quite good. We've found them helpful and responsive. We are quite satisfied with the level of support that is provided to us.

The solution is very reasonably priced.

What other advice do I have?

I'm just a customer and an end-user. I don't have a business relationship or partnership with AWS.

I have pretty good experience in AWS. I have a certificate in AWS.

I'd rate the solution at a ten out of ten. We've been extremely satisfied with the solution.

Download our free AWS WAF Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.