System Engineer at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Useful Auto Deploy, scalable, and always updating for improvements
  • "The most useful features are ESXi, DRS, Auto Deploy, and the Lifecycle Manager."
  • "We would like to see the container-based operating system launched soon for this solution."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for network virtualization.

What is most valuable?

The most useful features are ESXi, DRS, Auto Deploy, and the Lifecycle Manager.

What needs improvement?

In a future release, multi-cloud capability should be simplified and easy to handle for administrators. For example, if I have a private cloud and public cloud and we have a feature to run VMware between these two, currently there is some complexity. We are hoping this can improve to allow us to run the workload anywhere.

I have been using this solution for approximately 10 years.

VMware vSphere
January 2023
Learn what your peers think about VMware vSphere. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2023.
672,411 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We have had some minor issues with stability in the past that has now have been resolved.

The architecture has been redefined and the scalability is good. In the previous editions, we had boot failing issues but they have resolved them and introduced a new model of high availability in vSphere for vCenter. Scalable is just a single click and is very easy.

We were having some network glitches and some other issues known by VMware, they were all resolved through provided patches. Now everything is working fine.

We have also been working with AWS and Azure. We normally recommend VMware solutions for private cloud, and for public cloud, AWS or Azure. However, VMware is also having capabilities on AWS and Azure which we recommend.

The setup of this solution is very easy now, it was a bit difficult before and now has been simplified.

When comparing the price of VMware solutions to other vendors, such as Nutanix, they are costly.

We have compared this solution to Nutanix.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to small to large-scale enterprises companies wanting to move to virtualization, vSphere is highly recommended for effective cost savings. The future is in virtualization, the industries are moving in that direction. Everything is in virtualization, such as networks, storage, and desktop applications. We can reduce the data center space, power cooling, and hardware lifecycle. However, the licensing costs are expensive.

I rate VMware vSphere a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Deputy director at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
User-friendly, easy to implement and offers excellent technical support
  • "It's easy to use and very user-friendly."
  • "The solution could be cheaper and less expensive."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is server virtualization software. VMware is totally for virtualization.

What is most valuable?

We only use it for a few of its features, such as DRS, vMotion, and fault tolerance. We aren't using the NSX, cloud-based, or any other features.

The solution is 100% stable.

The scalability is very good.

We find the user interface to be very nice.

The initial implementation process is simple.

It's easy to use and very user-friendly.

Technical support has been very good. They are helpful and responsive.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be cheaper and less expensive.

I've been using the solution for five to seven years.

We have found the solution to be extremely stable. The performance and reliability are great. There are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze.

The solution is thoroughly a scalable solution. It's easy to expand it if you need to.

There isn't a specific number of users. We are using it for hosting services.

Technical support is excellent. We have no complaints at all.

The installation process is quite simple, quite straightforward. It's not overly complex or difficult. I'm certified and find the process very easy.

We did not need the assistance of outside help. I can easily handle the implementation myself.

You do have to purchase a license in order to use the solution.

The solution should base its prices on what the market can handle. Right now, it's a bit expensive.

The price is a little bit higher when you go for the enterprise edition. The Standard edition is quite low and the enterprise edition is quite high.

What other advice do I have?

I have two clusters, version 7 and version 6.7. Both are there.

I'm not using the cloud-based version and other stuff, so I couldn't comment on it. On the on-premises version, however, it's a very good solution. It has a nice interface and nice everything and is a very stable product. We have never faced any issues yet.

I'd recommend the solution to others 100%.

I would rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

VMware vSphere
January 2023
672,411 professionals have used our research since 2012.
VMware Software Engineer at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Reliable with good performance and helpful technical support
  • "The pricing of the product is reasonable."
  • "The latest version of the solution has a few bugs."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for virtualization.

What is most valuable?

The solution offers a very stable performance.

It's a scalable product.

The solution is extremely reliable. It's an excellent product.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

Technical support has always been great.

The pricing of the product is reasonable.

What needs improvement?

The latest version of the solution has a few bugs. This may be due to the fact that they moved to web-based management. There are some problems in that web-based management, however, it's a minimal issue.

I've been using the solution for seven or eight years at this point. I've used it for a while.

The solution is very stable and very reliable. The performance has been great. In the version we are using, there are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The solution is very scalable. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so.

I'm not sure of the exact number of users, however, we do have the solution installed on 4,000 machines.

Technical support has been excellent. They are helpful and responsive. We have no complaints. Their level of service is always good.

The initial setup was straightforward and not overly complex. Although it took us a couple of weeks before we installed it, the deployment only took about one day or one and a half days.

We had three engineers that handled the deployment.

We handled the initial setup ourselves. We did not need the assistance of an integrator or consultant.

There's a yearly licensing fee, however, it isn't overly expensive.

What other advice do I have?

Up until now, we use the product on-premises, however, currently, we are developing a hybrid cloud. We are moving to the cloud solution and the base, the transition system is, VMware vSphere.

While we use the solution's 6.7 version, the latest version is version 7.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. I've been very happy with the capabilities of the product.

I would recommend the solution to other users and organizations.

Senior Configuration Manager at a aerospace/defense firm with 10,001+ employees
It's stable and easy to scale
  • "VMware vSphere is easy to scale. We haven't had any problems scaling what we're scaling now."
  • "We'd always like to see the price drop, but I realize that may not be realistic."

What is our primary use case?

We use vSphere for production work on defense projects.

What needs improvement?

There's a lot of things they can improve on, but it's just a matter of where they are at in their development cycle right now. I wish they would have been able to handle Apple at this point, but they can't. So it's just one of those things. They've got features I'm still trying to understand. We haven't gone to containers yet, and I'm trying to find a use for a container.

My company has been using vSphere for four years, but I've been using it since about 2003.

Everything has been stable.

VMware vSphere is easy to scale. We haven't had any problems scaling what we're scaling now.

I have contacted VMware support in the past, but I haven't needed to in a couple of years. They got back to me. Once you actually get in the queue and they actually talk to you, you're fine. It took me 48 hours to get in the queue because it wasn't a life or death issue. It was just a question. I've called them for more urgent stuff before, and they picked right up and answered the questions. They got us back online within a few hours.

This department happens to run VMware. Other departments run VMware and also use Citrix for certain things. We're looking at running BDI rather than Citrix.

It depends on how you're setting vSphere up and deploying it. They've added some products recently like vSAN and a few other things to the base loads. You have to know what you're doing with those, but it works beautifully if you're doing a standard deployment with general IP storage.

On a government contract, everything's just a base price. You don't get much of a choice. We'd always like to see the price drop, but I realize that may not be realistic.

What other advice do I have?

I rate VMware vSphere nine out of 10.

System support engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to install with good stability and great scalability
  • "The product is very easy to install."
  • "The reporting could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for real-time backups. It can create new VMs.

What is most valuable?

The solution is stable.

I don't have a problem with scalability.

The product is very easy to install.

What needs improvement?

The reporting could be improved.

We'd like to see better monitoring. There should be better alert systems in place.

We['ve been using the solution for two to three years at this point. It hasn't been too long.

The product has been stable so far. The performance and reliability are good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The product can scale. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so.

We have two people using the solution at this time.

We have basically updated the hard disk size of VMware servers so that to accommodate the data of the existing clients. I can't say if we will scale beyond this.

We have called VMware regarding Microsoft Cloud integration.

We were using a third-party utility product. Now, events are being pushed through VMware.

The installation process is quite straightforward. It's not overly complex. I wouldn't say it's difficult. A company shouldn't have any issues with the setup process.

While we have an integrator handle our deployment we manage the solution by ourselves, in-house.

You only need two people for deployment or maintenance tasks.

We had an integrator with us through the process and they assisted with the setup initially.

We have a yearly subscription that we pay for this product.

What other advice do I have?

While we are currently using the on-premises deployment, our plan is to move completely to the cloud.

We are using the latest version of the solution at this point. I can't speak to the exact version number.

I'd rate the solution at a ten out of ten overall. It's a very useful product.

I would recommend the solution to other users or other companies.

Freelance, Automation Project Administration, DCS, I&E at Centennial Cayman Corp Chile S.A
The connectivity is good, and many functions can run together in one server
  • "The connectivity is fantastic, and many functions can run together in one server. If you need to scale, we can continue to add components or modules. It's a beautiful virtual solution that has many advantages over physical hardware, where you have to use devices and wiring to connect all your projects."
  • "I'm using vSphere at a high level. Sometimes, I find it challenging to integrate different networks, but I think it's just my lack of knowledge."

What is our primary use case?

vSphere is for virtualizing some real computers, and then they can be used as hot spares. Sometimes you need to complement some functions or perform some work on them.

What is most valuable?

The connectivity is fantastic, and many functions can run together in one server. If you need to scale, we can continue to add components or modules. It's a beautiful virtual solution that has many advantages over physical hardware, where you have to use devices and wiring to connect all your projects.

What needs improvement?

I'm using vSphere at a high level. Sometimes, I find it challenging to integrate different networks, but I think it's just my lack of knowledge. For example, some companies have private internal networks, so we must connect to external networks, routers, or switches.

And the backups are something we have to integrate with one of them because they are just running with what they have. And I don't know why it wasn't considered from the beginning because they believe that they can back up the whole computer, but it's not a good solution. I have taken measures like exporting critical databases that I normally modify and figure out, but I would prefer a centralized system.

I haven't had any problems with stability.

I'm usually able to find solutions for my issues by logging into the blogs and searching for answers.

When I first got involved with vSphere, I thought it was fantastic to use the default. Once it was deployed, I could check on the rail systems, and everything worked very well. The best thing is that the tests I run to understand the situation can also run parallel. So I found it all straightforward. However, primarily I'm working on a platform already built by the companies that provide them. I do some maintenance and modifications of the customer's applications. Setting up this solution isn't generally part of my job.

What other advice do I have?

I rate vSphere 10 out of 10. It's perfect. I know some people are very conservative and don't want to even mess with them, but I would argue that it's a way to avoid risking physical installations or making mistakes in real life. You can do all your testing virtually.

IT Manager at a legal firm with 51-200 employees
Scalable with a straightforward setup and good stability
  • "Technical support is quite good and very responsive."
  • "The cost could always be lower."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the product as a server. Most of the work we do for our clients.

What is most valuable?

The product works very well for us. Over the last decade, it's been extremely dependable.

The initial setup is very straightforward.

The stability has been very good.

Technical support is quite good and very responsive.

The solution can scale well.

What needs improvement?

The product meets our needs pretty well. I can't recall noticing any missing features. It's pretty complete.

Our hopes are that it continuously keeps improving.

The cost could always be lower.

I've been using the solution for about ten years or so. It's been about a decade. We've had it a while.

The stability is excellent. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's extremely reliable and the performance has been good.

The product is very, very scalable. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so without any issues.

Our clients have users that vary anywhere from hundreds to thousands. Quite a few people are on it.

We've dealt with technical support in the past and I would rate them very highly. They are helpful and responsive. They get us answers. We're quite satisfied with the level of support we receive.

We didn't previously use a different solution. We've basically used this product since day one.

You can save quite a bit using this solution.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers and end-users. We don't have any business relationship with VMware.

We use the latest version of the solution. I can't speak to the exact version number.

We're very happy with the solution overall. I'd rate it at a nine out of ten.

Using this product is a no-brainer. It's a really easy product to use. If you're looking at simply a VM or anything similar or anything cloud-based, it's pretty much exactly what you need.

Owner at Computech Associates
Feature-rich, stable, scalable, and useful for running multiple virtual machines from a single server
  • "This product is useful for running multiple virtual machines from a single server so that people can utilize the hardware resources in their organization. Its ability for backups is also valuable. In case of a disaster, you can recover the entire server from the images. It is easy to use. In terms of features, whatever they are providing is more than sufficient for us. We are not exploiting this product up to a hundred percent."
  • "Its price should be better. Their support should also be more customer-friendly, and they should train people like us so that we know more about the latest technologies and features. If there is some program and drive from their side to teach us, it is definitely going to help us. Pricing and support are the most important features for mid-level companies. We are not implementing this solution for big tech companies."

What is our primary use case?

We are a service provider, and we give services to our customers. Whenever we provide the solution, we give the latest version available at that time.

What is most valuable?

This product is useful for running multiple virtual machines from a single server so that people can utilize the hardware resources in their organization. Its ability for backups is also valuable. In case of a disaster, you can recover the entire server from the images. It is easy to use.

In terms of features, whatever they are providing is more than sufficient for us. We are not exploiting this product up to a hundred percent.

What needs improvement?

Its price should be better. Their support should also be more customer-friendly, and they should train people like us so that we know more about the latest technologies and features. If there is some program and drive from their side to teach us, it is definitely going to help us.

Pricing and support are the most important features for mid-level companies. We are not implementing this solution for big tech companies.

We have been dealing with this solution for seven to eight years.

It is stable.

It is a scalable product. Very few people are using this product because of less awareness in our area. We are based in a small town in India where we don't have IT and IT companies. IT is a part of the production process. There are very few people who are using this service.

They should be more customer-friendly.

Its installation is almost straightforward. The basic installation is easy, but it also depends upon the customer requirements.

Its price is slightly higher for India. It is a little bit expensive on a monthly basis when considering the value of the Indian rupee.

What other advice do I have?

There is no other perfect solution as compared to this solution. If you want to go for virtualization, there is no other stable and sustainable option.

I would rate VMware vSphere an eight out of ten.

Download our free VMware vSphere Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: January 2023