IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
Nagaraj Sheshachalam - PeerSpot reviewer
Lead Cyber Security engineer at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Is fast, stable, and budget-friendly, but the dashboard needs improvement
  • "PortSwigger Burp Suite does not hamper the node of the server, and it does not shut down the server if it is running."
  • "The reporting needs to be improved; it is very bad."

What is our primary use case?

We use PortSwigger Burp Suite Professional for security testing and for doing vulnerability scanning mechanisms.

How has it helped my organization?

It has partially improved the organization requirement however, The scanning mechanism is pretty slow and takes long duration to scan. Moreover, The server hangs up while scanning.

What is most valuable?

This solution provides a very good mechanism for fixing interval time. For example, we can create a schedule, and the schedule runs on time. PortSwigger Burp Suite does not hamper the node of the server, and it does not shut down the server if it is running. It is quite fast and easy to install as well. It is also a budget-friendly tool.

What needs improvement?

The reporting needs to be improved; it is very bad. The dashboard feature or the front-end of the tool does not look good and is not very creative or user-friendly. It looks complicated when we log in to the tool. It looks boring and outdated.
PortSwigger Burp Suite Professional
May 2022
Learn what your peers think about PortSwigger Burp Suite Professional. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2022.
598,116 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've been using this solution within the last 12 months.

Stability-wise, improvements have been made, and it is reliable.

Technical support is not so easy to get a hold of. We had to learn most of the things through the documentation. However, the documentation is not readily available online. We have to create new calls for it, and we have to email them. So, if you have a problem, then it can take some time to resolve it.

No dint use.

The initial setup was straightforward and took about one to two weeks.

It's a budget-based tool, and it's a pretty decent budget tool for the mid-version of the application. It's a lower priced tool that we can rely on with good standard mechanisms. We have a yearly license.

Client provided product

What other advice do I have?

If you're looking for a budget-friendly tool, I would recommend PortSwigger Burp Suite Professional. On a scale from one to ten, I would rate this tool at seven.

IT Manager at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Scans any number of apps, database updates automatically; issues with high volume of scanning
  • "You can scan any number of applications and it updates its database."
  • "If we're running a huge number of scans regularly, it slows down the tool."

What is our primary use case?

There are three versions and we are using all three - community, professional and enterprise. We use the community and professional versions on premises and the enterprise version is on cloud. I'm an IT Manager.

What is most valuable?

Burp has several good features; it's cheaper than other solutions and you can scan any number of applications and it updates its database. With the professional version, it creates a lot of applications which you can incorporate with your scanning and enable deep diving in the specific section.

What needs improvement?

We've faced lots of challenges, including slowing down of the tool, and a lot of error messages, sometimes because of the interface. If we're running a huge number of scans regularly, I think that also slows down the tool so I'm not sure if it is good for lots of scans. I hope they will work on the amount of scans they can handle. There have been improvements in the interface and the reporting structure, but they need to do more. They have a long way to go. For now, if we use the interface directly, we need to use an integration with our web application. We're after value for money.

I've been using this solution for about 18 months.

Stability depends upon the amount of scans you are running. Sometimes there are problems with the stability and it could be improved.

Scalability depends upon which of the Burp versions you're using. If you're using Pro it's not scalable because it's dedicated to one person. But when it comes to Enterprise, yes it is scalable, it's easy.

Support depends on how much you're paying. We get good support from them which we need because there are lots of issues occurring frequently. The pro version has less problems but it only takes one scan at a time, so it's good but restricting. The technical support is trying to solve the issues of stability we are having right now.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution depending on the requirements of the company.

I would rate this solution a seven out of 10.

PortSwigger Burp Suite Professional
May 2022
598,116 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Eldar Aydayev - PeerSpot reviewer
President & Owner at Aydayev's Investment Business Group
Plenty of plugins, effective deep package analyzing, and reliable
  • "I have found this solution has more plugins than other competitors which is a benefit. You are able to attach different plugins to the security scan to add features. For example, you can check to see if there are any payment systems that exist on a server, or username and password brute force analysis."
  • "There needs to be better documentation provided. Currently, we need to buy books, or we need to review online some use cases from other professionals who have been using the solution to find out their experience. It is not easy to find out how to properly do a security assessment."

What is our primary use case?

I was working in internet banking in the Middle East and we used Zap for light testing and we used Burp Suite for more deep protocol and package review of the security.

What is most valuable?

I have found this solution has more plugins than other competitors which is a benefit. You are able to attach different plugins to the security scan to add features. For example, you can check to see if there are any payment systems that exist on a server, or username and password brute force analysis. You are able to do many different types of scans, such as SQL injection. There are a lot of deep packages analyzing functions that make this solution have more usability.

What needs improvement?

There needs to be better documentation provided. Currently, we need to buy books, or we need to review online some use cases from other professionals who have been using the solution to find out their experience. It is not easy to find out how to properly do a security assessment. The user interface is pretty basic and if you want to do more advanced operations you need to know more technical details, which are not publicly available. You need to get in touch with different engineers or somebody that publishes their experience in a book to be able to get the knowledge in how to use this solution to its fullest.

I have been using this solution for approximately four years.

This is a stable solution when comparing it to competitors.

I have used Zap and it is lightweight compare to this solution's functions.

The setup is a bit complex.

This solution requires a license. It is expensive but you receive a lot of functionality for the price.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is if you have one small web server and static pages, you can easily use Zap. However, if it is a more complex environment, with a payment system, with a lot of content, and has many defined user rules, it is better to use Burp Suite.

I rate PortSwigger Burp Suite Professional a nine out of ten.

Application Security Engineer at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
A must-have for those knowledgeable in application security
  • "The most valuable feature is Burp Collaborator."
  • "BurpSuite has some issues regarding authentication with OAT tokens that need to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

I mainly use Burp Suite for manual testing, using it as a proxy to do my manual pen test.

How has it helped my organization?

Burp Suite gives you a very good automated scanning tool, which gives you around sixty to seventy percent security coverage without having to use a security resource. Once the developer gets the report, they've got the PortSwigger lab to explain the vulnerability and have a POC right there, so it's very beneficial for developers.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is Burp Collaborator.

What needs improvement?

I've been using this solution for around seven years.

The Professional version is not very scalable because you need to buy licenses for each user, but the Enterprise version takes care of that.

The support for the Enterprise solution isn't the best (I'd rate it as three out of five), but the Professional version provides all the documentation and the PortSwigger labs, so it's much better.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

I previously used OS SAP, but I switched to Burp Suite when the support for that solution stopped.

The initial setup is very easy because Burp Suite has very good documentation. Setup took less than an hour, though it might take a less-experienced person longer to install a mobile application because of the application-level security.

What other advice do I have?

I would say Burp Suite has now surpassed SAP as a tool. The main aspect of Burp Suite is that it's like an army knife for a hacker, it's not just the automation or the scanning that it brings. For a person with 80-90% knowledge of application security, this tool is a must-have. I would rate Burp Suite nine out of ten.

Cyber Security Analyst at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Good reporting, useful features, and great scalability
  • "The reporting part is the most valuable. It also has very good features. We use almost all of the features for different kinds of customers and needs."
  • "One thing that is not up to the mark in PortSwigger is web application testing. I found some issues with its performance and reporting. They should work on these and give us a better outcome."

What is our primary use case?

We are an auditing company. We use this solution for auditing purposes for the infrastructure of our customers.

What is most valuable?

The reporting part is the most valuable. It also has very good features. We use almost all of the features for different kinds of customers and needs.

What needs improvement?

One thing that is not up to the mark in PortSwigger is web application testing. I found some issues with its performance and reporting. They should work on these and give us a better outcome.

I have been using this solution for more than a year.

It is stable. We didn't have any issues.

Its scalability is great. We have almost five users who are using the product, and they're happy with this product.

We've got very good support from their team.

We previously used some open-source applications, but later on, we found out that, unfortunately, they are not good products. We had to use the applications of all other products separately in our environment, but PortSwigger can do all things itself. That's why we switched to PortSwigger.

The initial setup was very simple.

I implemented it on my own.

It has a yearly license. I am satisfied with its price.

We did consider one more product and had a discussion about the product features. We found PortSwigger to be the best match for our business.

What other advice do I have?

It is a very good product. You must try it once.

I would rate PortSwigger Burp a nine out of ten. I am satisfied with this product. It is a great experience.

Chief Info Sec Engineer at Sri Lanka CERT
An easy to install solution for vulnerability assessment
  • "We use the solution for vulnerability assessment in respect of the application and the sites."
  • "We wish that the Spider feature would appear in the same shape that it does in previous versions."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the latest version and are in the process of upgrading it.

What is most valuable?

We use the solution for vulnerability assessment in respect of the application and the sites. We use the intruder part, which is essentially the Proxy part, to check whether any brute-force attacks can be undertaken.

What needs improvement?

I believe we have developmental tools such Accuratix. It would be nice if the report that was accepted upon scanning would highlight all the weaknesses from the perspective of my application.

We have been using PortSwigger Burp Suite Professional for the last three years.

We have had no issues with the stability.

As we only have a couple of licenses, we have not encountered any issues concerning the scalability.

The technical support is all right.

This said, we have requested support on a couple of occasions, specifically one concerning training relating to the new features and add-ons coming onto the application, and this is still outstanding.

The initial setup is not very complex. Rather, it is easy and straightforward.

For a country such as Sri Lanka, the pricing is not reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

There are around 10 people using the solution in our organization.

I don't have any advice off the cuff. When it comes to the web crawling features, it does not need to be in the same shape as before, but it would be nice if it allowed us to index associated things in the manner that we did so in the past.

I rate PortSwigger Burp Suite Professional as a nine out of ten.

Lead Software Architect at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Excellent Community version for skills mapping that is easy to setup and is stable
  • "The extension that it provides with the community version for the skills mapping is excellent."
  • "Currently, the scanning is only available in the full version of Burp, and not in the Community version."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution when we develop any of our software applications and host it with the website for external clients. All of the applications go through the vulnerability scanner.

What is most valuable?

Burp Suite is very helpful. The extension that it provides with the community version for the skills mapping is excellent.

What needs improvement?

The interface for external clients needs improvement.

I would like the scanning included for free also.

We have been using this solution for a year and a half.

It's a stable solution. We have not had any issues.

I have not contacted technical support.

We have not experienced any issues where we couldn't resolve them using our internal team.

We have not required any technical support.

When we compare it to other programs that we have such as OWAP Zap, we found Burp to be more suitable.

The initial setup is straightforward.

It is very easy to automate. It requires some configuration that has you follow step by step instructions.

It can take four to five hours to go live.

Anyone with minimal knowledge and training can use this tool.

We are using the community version, which is free.

We evaluated OWASP Zap, which was fully open-source.

We use the community version and found that Burp was easier and more useful.

The interface is better in PortSwigger Burp.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate PortSwigger Burp an eight out of ten.

Prasenjit Roy - PeerSpot reviewer
Sr. Cloud Solution Architect - SAP on Azure at Accenture
A web security testing solution with many good functions
  • "For pentesting scenarios, this is the number one tool. It can capture the request, and there are so many functions that are very good for that. For example, a black box satellite host."
  • "The price could be better. The rest is fine."

What is our primary use case?

I use PortSwigger Burp Suite Professional for penetration testing.

What is most valuable?

For pentesting scenarios, this is the number one tool. It can capture the request, and there are so many functions that are very good for that. For example, a black box satellite host.

What needs improvement?

The price could be better. The rest is fine.

I have been using PortSwigger Burp Suite Professional for more than ten years.

PortSwigger Burp Suite Professional is a stable solution. Sometimes we are limited because of a firewall, and they will block all the proxy requests. Sometimes there are some challenges, but we can manage them.

PortSwigger Burp Suite Professional is a scalable solution. We have about 200 users in our company.

Technical support is very good.

The initial setup is straightforward, but it is not very user-friendly, and you need someone to install the certificate. It is a bit complex, but we can manage that one. It took more than half an hour to deploy this solution.

They should reduce the license cost a little bit. It is $400 per user, and it would be better if they could reduce the licensing fee.

What other advice do I have?

I would tell potential users that if they want to go for penetration testing,  PortSwigger Burp Suite Professional is the obvious choice.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give PortSwigger Burp Suite Professional an eight.

Download our free PortSwigger Burp Suite Professional Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: May 2022