Project Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Offers multiple port options, is simple to configure, easy to handle, reliable and stable
  • "Comes preconfigured and designed specifically for AV."
  • "Lacks switches with additional ports that provide room for new protocols of communications."

What is most valuable?

NETGEAR Switches is great because it comes preconfigured and designed specifically for AV and that suits our needs. NETGEAR offers multiple port options, is simple to configure, easy to handle, reliable and stable. The most valuable feature for us is the reasonable price.

What needs improvement?

I expect we’ll continue to see an improvement in the configuration which could be simplified further. I would also like to see switches with more ports that provide room for new protocols of communications. It would be great to have more bandwidth.

Our primary use case of Switches is for work with a data protocol for audio or AVB protocol for audio. We also use the AVoIP, Dante, and Control.

NETGEAR is a preferred partner for our company which has offices nationwide and offshore. I work as a project engineer for an audio video integrator company.

The solution is stable and scalable. You can link multiple switches and create a bigger network.

NETGEAR Switches
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about NETGEAR Switches. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
657,849 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We recently used Araknis and sometimes also use Cisco or Extreme Networks. Araknis is about the same price or even cheaper than NETGEAR, but they do not offer as many options as NETGEAR.

Licensing cost depends on the model and number of ports, whether it’s POE, POE Plus or POE Plus Plus. There are certain Cisco switches that are about the same price.

AVB licensing is required to purchase separately on NETGEAR and Extreme Network.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this product nine out of 10.

President at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Stable, with no licensing fees, and it worked well for my purposes

What is our primary use case?

I use these switches in my home-based business.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is familiarity.

What needs improvement?

The technical support could be more helpful.

I have been working with NETGEAR Switches for between five and ten years.

Stability-wise, I haven't had any issues.

This product is not scalable. It is fixed at eight ports, which is why I am now looking for something new.

I have spoken with their technical support, albeit not about this switch, but about a router. I would say that the technical support was not very helpful.

Specifically, they were helpful but only to a point. It helps when they can figure out the problem for you.

The initial setup is pretty easy.

This is a one-time purchase and there are no licensing fees.

I am currently looking for a replacement because I have recently moved offices and I now have more devices plugged in. I am looking into purchasing a 24-port Ubiquiti switch. I am looking at the Ubiquiti line because I don't want to pay a yearly fee.

What other advice do I have?

For what I used this switch for, it did well.

NETGEAR Switches
November 2022
657,849 professionals have used our research since 2012.
KurhulaMaluleka - PeerSpot reviewer
Managing Director at Behold IT
Networking switches that provide satisfying stability
  • "I'm satisfied with the stability of NETGEAR Switches."
  • "NETGEAR Switches could be more secure. Scalability could also be better. This infrastructure is a bit old, and we need something that will be more secure. Something that will introduce WLAN, and we will need the knowledge to go with that. Some of the switches were used for more than seven years. I think it was just their lifespan that was exhausted. But other than that, there haven't been any issues that required us to complain or get concerned."

What is our primary use case?

We mainly use NETGEAR Switches for some switching and tethering.

What is most valuable?

I'm satisfied with the stability of NETGEAR Switches.

What needs improvement?

NETGEAR Switches could be more secure. Scalability could also be better. This infrastructure is a bit old, and we need something that will be more secure. Something that will introduce WLAN, and we will need the knowledge to go with that.

I have been using NETGEAR Switches for a few years.

I'm satisfied with the stability of NETGEAR Switches.

NETGEAR Switches could be more scalable. We have about 200 users using this solution.

I don't remember the initial setup. We have about five managers and technical people to deploy and manage this solution.

What other advice do I have?

I can't recommend this solution to potential users.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give NETGEAR Switches an eight.

Download our free NETGEAR Switches Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: November 2022